Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

super macho dude posted:

Even though the business itself was in the dumper, 93 was a good year for WCW ppvs when it comes to actually good work rate and matches. The Vader/Flair match at Starrcade 93 is perfection.

The rest of that card is atrocious though. I'd go with 92 in terms of a bad year with PPVs that have good matches over 93. Wrestlewar and Starrcade 92 are both pretty good shows with two MOTYC level matches.

OldTennisCourt posted:

1997 has to be either Survivor Series or Starrcade.

SS has the Screwjob which, purely from a historical perspective, has to be seen, so if you only watch one show from the year it should be that. On the other hand Starrcade 97 was WCW's biggest show ever and had a main even with a YEAR long build. Plus if you wanna see how WCW basically destroyed themselves then the main event's finish is a must see as well. Plus there's a couple really good undercard matches.

Survivor Series is probably my choice, but Starrcade is a VERY close second.

There's no good matches on Starrcade. Eddy Guerrero and Dean Malenko manage to have a boring match. Bad show. Why watch it? Same with Survivor Series. Watch Wrestling with Shadows. Why watch a bad show when the story is covered better elsewhere.

I can't even imagine listing Rumble 99 as the must see PPV of that year. Rock/Mankind has aged terribly and wasn't even rated that highly at the time. The Rumble itself is such a chore to sit through and ended up meaning nothing as it was to set up a PPV that was a relative flop.

Anyway...

1989: Great American Bash 89 (maybe the best PPV of all time, in the conversation with X7.)
1990: Wrestlemania 6 (Bad year overall for match quality and well, everything but this show at least has some historical importance and the main event is really good for what it is.)
1991: Wrestlewar 91 (Fantastic War Games and several other really good matches.)
1992: Wrestlewar 92 (Ditto on the War Games, plus a tag match that is nearly as good. Blow off to the great Dangerous Alliance storyline.)
1993: Superbrawl III (Benoit/Scorpio, WHITE CASTLE OF FEAR, Cactus Jack/Orndorff, overall a really good show. One of the few nights where Jesse Ventura was any good in WCW too.)
1994: When Worlds Collide (Tremendously important show that came just after the peak of 90s AAA. One of the best PPVs ever.) Wrestlemania X is a close second.
1995: Starrcade 95 (I guess? Really bad year in the US. Some solid matches and a racist as hell build.)
1996: Bash at the Beach (Fairly good matches and obviously a tremendously important angle)
1997: Barely Legal (ECW's first and best PPV)
1998: Summerslam 98 (Doesn't hold up as well in ring, but the main event was HUGE at the time and Rock/HHH established both as main event players. Of course WWE brass saw HHH as the breakout star of the match...)
1999: Spring Stampede 99. (Fantastic show, WCW wouldn't have another good PPV until it's final PPV Greed.)
2000: Backlash (Its Mania but good.)
2001: Wrestlemania X7 (The biggest and best wrestling PPV of all time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Seams posted:

IYH: Canadian Stampede might not have the most important matches but the crowd is going so nuts throughout most of it that it gets my vote for 1997.

It is an extremely good pick.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OldTennisCourt posted:

I wonder if we were to expand this to include UFC, how many times they would take the top spot. MMA is a different beast from Pro Wrestling of course, but purely from the perspective of a full look, I wonder if they would have a must see.

It's so hard to compare. An event like UFC 116 blows away anything wrestling put out that year, and some of the best PRIDE events combine better spectacle than WWE with great fights.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

exploded mummy posted:

"Heel DQS himself while beat the babyface up to get a cheap pinfall" is uh, pretty standard for a best of 3 falls match.

It's common in Iron Man, less common in 2/3 falls because it's stupid as hell. It's like bunting if a bunt gave you 9 outs.

• Locked thread