Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
^it's 20 business days, not calendar days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

^it's 20 business days, not calendar days

I know, when I last talked to them they told me the first step was completed on the 8th and they had started the second step of the process, which 10 business days were up today. I was not very confident that anything would actually happen today, but thats what the told me last time I called.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'm pretty hurt, because while my TDI was not effected by this, my Dad's was, and he loved that damned car. Drove it everywhere. And what really hurts was the TDI was one of VWs best products by and large, and now they've basically sunk it under a pile of Middle and Upper Management misdeeds and severely damaged Consumer Confidence. Its like the Cadillac Class Action suit all over again, and I don't think Diesel is going to recover this time :smith:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Diesel was killed by emissions requirements. VW's cheats only prolonged the pain

It's not going to be long before people buying other diesels discover emissions after-treatment systems kill the longevity advantage dirty diesels had.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Diesel was killed by emissions requirements. VW's cheats only prolonged the pain

It's not going to be long before people buying other diesels discover emissions after-treatment systems kill the longevity advantage dirty diesels had.

Guess I'll just have to make my Mk3 last. At the same time, there are plenty of other diesels that are meeting emissions standards, so its not entirely true.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
As a complete outsider, can someone tell me what US VW owners have been instructed to do after the scandal broke? Will the cars be fixed or bought back?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bolind posted:

As a complete outsider, can someone tell me what US VW owners have been instructed to do after the scandal broke? Will the cars be fixed or bought back?

VW USA says they will not be bringing back the TDI to the US. And either they will fix your car, or on other models will be required to buy them back.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

bolind posted:

you get to choose if you want to sell it back or have it fixed and get paid.

vwcourtsettlement.com

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Guess I'll just have to make my Mk3 last. At the same time, there are plenty of other diesels that are meeting emissions standards, so its not entirely true.

They are, but once you get 100,000 miles on the engine, it will start burning a little bit of oil plugging up the DPF faster and faster. Eventually the DPF will need to be cleaned. doing so is expensive. Ignoring it will cost you a turbo first, and engine soon after.

Out of warranty, maintaining the DPF, SCR, and fuel system on newer diesel becomes terrifyingly costly. They are the poster child for "work long enough to get out of warranty"

VW's troubles stemmed from them trying to use a catalyzed system to run the DPF at a lower temperature, requiring less fuel to get up to temperature. To keep that system operating properly required leaner combustion, leading to the increased NOx levels that got them busted.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Powershift posted:

They are, but once you get 100,000 miles on the engine, it will start burning a little bit of oil plugging up the DPF faster and faster. Eventually the DPF will need to be cleaned. doing so is expensive. Ignoring it will cost you a turbo first, and engine soon after.

Out of warranty, maintaining the DPF, SCR, and fuel system on newer diesel becomes terrifyingly costly. They are the poster child for "work long enough to get out of warranty"

VW's troubles stemmed from them trying to use a catalyzed system to run the DPF at a lower temperature, requiring less fuel to get up to temperature. To keep that system operating properly required leaner combustion, leading to the increased NOx levels that got them busted.

I went into the VW repair one day for another issue (these guys would see me and go "What's wrong now," that's how often I was in there) and the first thing the Supervisor asked was "Your particulate filter go?"

I had no clue what he was talking about, so he explained it to me. He said I was lucky to have a 2011 Golf - apparently, on earlier models, the cost of replacing the filter was so high that people just traded the car in. VW made the filter part of the exhaust system, so you are essentially replacing the exhaust when you replace the DPF. What the gently caress.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

berzerkmonkey posted:

I went into the VW repair one day for another issue (these guys would see me and go "What's wrong now," that's how often I was in there) and the first thing the Supervisor asked was "Your particulate filter go?"

I had no clue what he was talking about, so he explained it to me. He said I was lucky to have a 2011 Golf - apparently, on earlier models, the cost of replacing the filter was so high that people just traded the car in. VW made the filter part of the exhaust system, so you are essentially replacing the exhaust when you replace the DPF. What the gently caress.
The DPF cracking at 50K miles (just out of warranty) on my A3 is a big part of why I parked it and am waiting for a check.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Isn't the DPF covered by the 10 year warranty on emissions control components

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

I would assume it's considered a consumable, and therefore, not covered. You know, like anything that ever breaks on your car. Somehow, none of it is ever covered...

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

The several times I called my dealership and asked I was met with "well...it's a filter so probably not", "we're gonna have to see it first" and "there's no 10 year emissions warranty". Not worth my time to pursue it, especially considering the replacement would be just as likely to fail in the same timeframe, if not earlier.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

First buy-back happened today, write-up here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=470067

This quote in particular should set some minds at ease:

"He could care less what it looked like, it was well dented with door dings and scratches, (Northern VA parking lots) the TPMS light was on from it sitting in my garage and the temp dropping , and the check engine light was on for a P0401 code. It was overdue for a fuel filter change and DSG service and covered in dust from being parked. I even ripped the TDI badge off in front of them as a souvenir."

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Can someone explain to a non-affected person the rationality of destroying thousands upon thousands of "presumably " perfectly otherwise fine automobiles? Yes I know they lied and cheated but fine VW shut them down I don't care just seems a shame. There's probably a factory in china opened every day that spews more toxic waste than all these cars combined. Genuine car lover question.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

everdave posted:

Can someone explain to a non-affected person the rationality of destroying thousands upon thousands of "presumably " perfectly otherwise fine automobiles? Yes I know they lied and cheated but fine VW shut them down I don't care just seems a shame. There's probably a factory in china opened every day that spews more toxic waste than all these cars combined. Genuine car lover question.

US has a weird hard on for emissions standards mostly because the problem in California was bad enough that they could actually see it.

I'll fully cop to not getting the whole electric car thing, producing those batteries can't be good for the environment versus running an old car into the ground and reducing new cars manufactured but people don't get something shiny and new out of it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
It's just bizarre to me because the part of America I live in we have ZERO emissions testing and I hate the loud trucks with no cats (because I am an angry old man hypocrite who used to do the same thing) but other than that I am sure glad I don't have to worry about emissions testing any old vehicle I buy or our old daily drivers (though they would probably pass with flying colors as I religiously maintain them)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I feel like if it isn't a complete fiasco for VW, it has to be made into one, or else every other automaker will see how cheap and easy it is to implement a cheat like this, only a portion will get caught, and our air quality will backslide to "factory in China" levels again.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

everdave posted:

It's just bizarre to me because the part of America I live in we have ZERO emissions testing and I hate the loud trucks with no cats (because I am an angry old man hypocrite who used to do the same thing) but other than that I am sure glad I don't have to worry about emissions testing any old vehicle I buy or our old daily drivers (though they would probably pass with flying colors as I religiously maintain them)

Talk to someone who lived in a city with air problems in the 70s. poo poo was nasty.

I lived in LA in the early 00s and even then the smog could be loving nasty on bad days. Flying into LAX and seeing the thick brown layer is an eye opener.

Again that's after 30 years of emissions laws and nothing compared to the bad ol days.

Re: batteries it's not a "make cars not bad for the environment" thing it's specifically about air quality. If some forest in Africa is hosed by mining for lithium etc and the ground water near a factory in China is poisoned that sucks, but it helps people who live in cities breathe.

Edit: see also the smog freak out Paris and other euro cities are having now. Diesel hosed some poo poo up over there.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Powershift posted:

A lot of industries are facing this problem. Agricultural and construction equipment for example is now seeing the rollout of DPF and SCR systems and it is not going well. Every reliability problem is multiplied 10x because of the abuse those engines see, and the operators are quite aware of the increase in fuel consumption.

I think a lot of companies are taking a good long look at gasoline direct injection systems right now. That's assuming that the new administration doesn't seriously weaken EPA requirements.

StandardVC10 posted:

I feel like if it isn't a complete fiasco for VW, it has to be made into one, or else every other automaker will see how cheap and easy it is to implement a cheat like this, only a portion will get caught, and our air quality will backslide to "factory in China" levels again.

This almost certainly factored into the decision.

VW is dragging their feet and finding document after document to demand from my parents before they approve the buyback. Most recently they decided they wanted a bunch of seemingly random documents relating to the incorporation of their business (under which the car is titled).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

StandardVC10 posted:

They are going to pay almost 10x in fines over their profit margin was on these cars

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

everdave posted:

Why arrest presumably perfectly productive rapists? It's not going to un-rape their victims and besides there are other rapists out there still walking free? :confuoot:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

That's assuming that the new administration doesn't seriously weaken EPA requirements.

Even if they do I think you'll basically see a leveling off of progress instead of regression. People who believe in climate change will eventually be in power again and it would be really short sighted to go backwards.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

everdave posted:

VW sold cars to people on lies for a long time, they didn't have to. They are a for-profit company that doesn't give a poo poo about anything besides their bottom line and are 100% on the hook for the choices they made. Volkswagen could have been honest the whole time and sold their cars properly and we wouldn't have this situation where there are ~perfectly good~ vehicles that were never legal in the United States. VW hosed up and now get to deal with the consequences.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
got my paperwork this morning, just gotta find a notary!

:woop:

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

BraveUlysses posted:

got my paperwork this morning, just gotta find a notary!

:woop:

Got mine this morning, too (filed on 10/31). Fortunately, the secretary at work is a notary, so that part was easy.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Before anyone pays for notary services, try seeing if there are any banks near you that offer them for free if you have an account. I have a credit card with Chase, so that's where I'm getting mine done.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah, that's what i did, my credit union has a branch at my work so i got it done today and uploaded already.

funny enough, the offer letter from VW was dated on the 21st, my payments are due to VW credit on the 22nd (hmm) and it took 8 days for it to "arrive" in my inbox

Sangamon
Oct 13, 2001
The Toxic Avenger
My buyback appointment was this morning. It was a very smooth transaction and only took about 15 minutes. They said I was the third at the dealership– there were two the previous day.

We owned the car outright, so I assume that helped streamline the process.

After a lot of thinking, we decided to stick with Volkswagen. We bought a 2017 GTI Sport. The dealership gave us a good deal and held it for us until the buyback.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

How much of a "good deal"? All reports that I've seen so far indicate vw couldn't give a gently caress about keeping people in the brand.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

bizwank posted:

How much of a "good deal"? All reports that I've seen so far indicate vw couldn't give a gently caress about keeping people in the brand.

I got a local dealer to around $5k off on one, but I wanted them to get closer to the $6k a dealer in VA quoted me but they said they couldn't do it. So I didn't buy one of their cars.

Sangamon
Oct 13, 2001
The Toxic Avenger

bizwank posted:

The same $5,000 off MSRP that others have reported. That includes $1,000 of loyalty money.

I'm very curious to see how many TDI owners stick with VW.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Where are you located?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

This was my first and last VW. I'm currently looking around for other options.

Sangamon
Oct 13, 2001
The Toxic Avenger

BraveUlysses posted:

Where are you located?

Cincinnati.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

BraveUlysses posted:

yeah, that's what i did, my credit union has a branch at my work so i got it done today and uploaded already.

funny enough, the offer letter from VW was dated on the 21st, my payments are due to VW credit on the 22nd (hmm) and it took 8 days for it to "arrive" in my inbox

I submitted my documents on 10/12.
They Reviewed them on 11/4 and the email said that they are reviewing my eligibility on 11/4.

I have heard nothing since then. I also have it through VW Credit. I also have been unable to drive it, since I think I set the milage at 70k, and its at 69,950. And I can't remember if I set it higher, there is no way to check. I've called and asked them to check, they claim that they can't see what milage I put in the website. And if its over milage, you have to resubmit the paperwork. One of my coworkers who also has a TDI submitted her paperwork at the very end of October, and she already got her offer. Its frustrating, I just want them to buy back this lawn ornament.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

alternate.eago posted:

I submitted my documents on 10/12.
They Reviewed them on 11/4 and the email said that they are reviewing my eligibility on 11/4.

I have heard nothing since then. I also have it through VW Credit. I also have been unable to drive it, since I think I set the milage at 70k, and its at 69,950. And I can't remember if I set it higher, there is no way to check. I've called and asked them to check, they claim that they can't see what milage I put in the website. And if its over milage, you have to resubmit the paperwork. One of my coworkers who also has a TDI submitted her paperwork at the very end of October, and she already got her offer. Its frustrating, I just want them to buy back this lawn ornament.

:(:hf::(

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
fprintf(stderr, "this should never print\n");
docs submitted 9/27
docs reviewed 10/19
offer received 11/5 (i notarized & returned within 8 hours)
scheduled buyback appointment on 11/9
buyback appointment took 25 minutes on 11/29

everything has gone great except the EFT email i was supposed to have within 24 hours hasn't come yet. :shrug:

i have no reason to buy VW again, as the only product they had that was interesting to me has been regulated out of the market (apparently, years before VW was willing to call it quits :v:)

****edit to add:

email came by the end of the evening, and money hit my account 1st thing this morning!

nine16thsdago fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

nine16thsdago posted:

docs submitted 9/27
docs reviewed 10/19
offer received 11/5 (i notarized & returned within 8 hours)
scheduled buyback appointment on 11/9
buyback appointment took 25 minutes on 11/29

everything has gone great except the EFT email i was supposed to have within 24 hours hasn't come yet. :shrug:

i have no reason to buy VW again, as the only product they had that was interesting to me has been regulated out of the market (apparently, years before VW was willing to call it quits :v:)

I turned my car in the afternoon the day before Thanksgiving and got the EFT email during Thanksgiving dinner almost exactly 24 hours later. It came from JP Chase, if I remember right. I'm sure you've checked your spam filter and everything, but worth mentioning...

Signed the papers to close on a 2014 F150 FX4 yesterday. Pretty loving stoked!

• Locked thread