Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

BiggerBoat posted:

I know you're trying to make fun of me, and maybe deservedly so, but I've heard Prince himself make the distinction between "percussionist" and "drummer".

sorry, i thought that comparison was some kind of fart-huffing critique jargon that one might encounter on a place like pitchfork. now i'm actually interested, i wonder what prince meant by it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

BiggerBoat posted:

What would a Prince compilation look like post, say, the Love Symbol album? All the compilation stuff seems to stop with TSMBGITW. His consistency admittedly suffered a bit after the name change and all but there's still a lot of great stuff.

Colonized Mind
Love
The Word
Revelation
Dance 4 Me
Way Back Home
PFUNK
Glass Cutter
Hard Rock Lover
Sticky Like Glue
Laydown
Groovy Potential

^^^I'd listen to this record^^^

I put together this playlist and it flows pretty good.

1) New World (Emancipation)
2) 3121 (3121)
3) Jam Of The Year (Emancipation)
4) What Do U Want Me To Do? (Musicology)
5) Tangerine: Extended Mix (Rave In2 The Joy Fantastic)
6) So Far So Pleased (Rave In2 The Joy Fantastic)
7) The Work Pt. 1 (The Rainbow Children)
8) In This Bed I Scream (Emancipation)
9) Family Name (The Rainbow Children)
10) S.S.T. (online single)
11) U're Gonna C Me (MPLSoUND)
12) Sticky Like Glue (20Ten)
13) The Holy River (Emancipation)
14) Last December (The Rainbow Children)
15) Welcome 2 The Dawn: Acoustic Version (The Truth)

But there's a ton of great tracks after his Warner career. The biggest problem is that there's a number of them that have this weird plastic production that clashes with his other great tracks.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

sorry, i thought that comparison was some kind of fart-huffing critique jargon that one might encounter on a place like pitchfork. now i'm actually interested, i wonder what prince meant by it

Prince was asked about assembling his ultimate band or something from current and former band members and he said "Sheila on drums. No...wait...Sheila on 'percussion'".

think he meant the difference between playing behind a full kit as opposed to to a stand up set with congas, bongos, a tom and some snares - like how you usually see her play. Where the "percussion" accentuates the main beat and adds fills and flash. It's a subtle difference (if there even is one) but that was what I took from it.

I really hope the estate gets it together and gives us a decent live box set similar to what Page has done with Zeppelin and Rush have offered their fans. I watched some of the Montreaux stuff and it's criminal how little of Prince's live material is so buried and undocumented.

Especially the aftershows

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I keep forgetting to post about this: Paisley Park has a kiosk in the Mall of America. I didn't get to check it out up close, but yep definitely saw a kiosk advertising it. There was nobody staffing it that I could see, so I'm not sure if it's just a sad little advertisement or if someone is usually there to talk to people about it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I keep forgetting to post about this: Paisley Park has a kiosk in the Mall of America. I didn't get to check it out up close, but yep definitely saw a kiosk advertising it. There was nobody staffing it that I could see, so I'm not sure if it's just a sad little advertisement or if someone is usually there to talk to people about it.

Unless it's changed it wasn't a kiosk, it was a pop up museum that doubled as an ad for the Paisley Park tour.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Maybe the kiosk was an ad directing people to the pop-up museum? Because this was definitely a standard-issue mall kiosk.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Just noticed a handful of live 'albums' have appeared on Google Music somehow. There's two releases of the Syracuse show, Tokyo and a few others. I expect them to be taken down soon.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

quote:

Sources tell Pitchfork that Prince’s music will be available on Apple Music and Amazon Music very soon, ending a nearly two-year absence of the Purple One’s back catalog from all streaming services besides Tidal. In addition, this morning, advertisements featuring the Spotify logo bathed in purple appeared in the Union Square subway station in Manhattan, as Billboard points out. This seems to hint that Prince’s music will soon return to Spotify as well, adding fuel to recent rumors that the Purple One's back catalog would be widely available on streaming services in time for the Grammys, which take place Sunday, February 12. (Prince's music has been exclusively available to stream on Tidal since July 2015.)

http://pitchfork.com/news/71224-purple-ads-hint-at-princes-return-to-spotify/

Nice

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Excellent news.

Hopefully once that's done we'll get some news on the Purple Rain reissue. After waiting this long, if I don't get a full-length Computer Blue I'm going to explode.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I'm torn on this because, on one hand, Prince on Spotify. On the other hand, it's definitely something he wouldn't have wanted while he was alive.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Creature posted:

Excellent news.

Hopefully once that's done we'll get some news on the Purple Rain reissue. After waiting this long, if I don't get a full-length Computer Blue I'm going to explode.

They had announced reissues on vinyl of all his Warner stuff up to a bit past Graffiti Bridge, and even came out with all of it up until Parade, but then all of the upcoming ones vanished off of Amazon pre-orders just after his death. I'd like to know what's up with that, too.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
This is adorable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBj-aBUW348
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfyv3JwrJFw

(yes, that's the actual NPG YouTube account with [Tony M?] recording his tv with his phone)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSFqCn043dA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cst8K27DnlQ

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 4, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Revolution is going on tour.

And this is kinda sad but I guess necessary to start building his legacy.

quote:

Warner Music holds the licensing rights to the majority of Prince’s hit songs recorded before 1996, through a deal the singer-songwriter struck with its Warner Bros label in 2014.

The rest of his music, including his albums after 1996 and unreleased songs, are being auctioned off by Prince’s estate, with offers in the range of $40m to $50m, said one person familiar with the matter. The three major labels, Vivendi-owned Universal Music, Sony Music and Warner are vying for the coveted catalogue. “It’s a very hot auction,” one executive said.

https://webcache.googleusercontent....n&ct=clnk&gl=us

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

The Revolution is going on tour.

And this is kinda sad but I guess necessary to start building his legacy.

[url]https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:rXWQBCrk3UEJ:https://www.ft.com/content/b0244118-ed9c-11e6-930f-061b01e23655+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us[/url]

I wish Prince had just made the outtakes, vault material and live shows available for purchase on his own site. Now it's just going to be the vultures profiting off this stuff.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Universal won.

quote:

Universal Music Group (UMG), the world leader in music-based entertainment, today announced a multi-year agreement with the Estate of Prince Rogers Nelson and NPG Records Inc., effective immediately, that grants UMG exclusive licensing rights to the iconic artist’s Grammy-winning NPG recordings, including a library of 25 albums and his highly anticipated trove of unreleased works.

With this agreement, UMG becomes the home for Prince’s music publishing, merchandise and much of Prince’s recorded music. The deal provides an opportunity for UMG to work closely with Prince’s Estate and heirs to delight and thrill fans of all ages by creating innovative new products and experiences spanning the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductee’s many artistic outlets.

Under the terms of the deal, the Estate is licensing to UMG the 25 albums that Prince released through NPG Records, a label founded by the artist that includes Double Platinum- and Gold-certified albums Emancipation, Musicology and 3121. The agreement also provides for UMG and the Estate to collaborate with regard to Prince’s vault of prized unreleased works from throughout his career, including outtakes, demos and live recordings. In addition, beginning next year UMG will obtain U.S. rights to certain renowned Prince albums released from 1979 to 1995.

http://www.universalmusic.com/the-estate-of-prince-rogers-nelson-selects-universal-music-group-to-manage-iconic-artists-recordings/

And that last sentence is surprising.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The majority of his Warner discography is up on most of the streaming services. There's also a couple of albums on Prime Music https://smile.amazon.com/b/ref=dmm_...pf_rd_i=desktop

And the Purple Rain reissue got a release date. June 9th.

quote:

The reissue pairs the newly remastered Purple Rain with "two incredible albums of previously unreleased Prince music and two complete concert films." The exact contents of that bonus material have not yet been announced.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/princes-purple-rain-reissue-packed-with-unreleased-music-w466431

If I had to guess, I'd guess The Makings Of Rain and Prince And The Revolution LIVE! as the concert films. No idea what the 'two incredible albums of previously unreleased Prince music' could be.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I'm going to assume that if they're releasing alongside Purple Rain, they'll be of that era. Even better would be if they span 1999 - Around The World In A Day.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Just bought my tickets to The Revolution when they come to DC. Did anyone go to any of the First Avenue shows to know how they are? Who do they usually get to sing in lieu of Prince?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

SgtScruffy posted:

Just bought my tickets to The Revolution when they come to DC. Did anyone go to any of the First Avenue shows to know how they are? Who do they usually get to sing in lieu of Prince?

Here's a tracklist from the third show with a list of who sang what https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ7UPozAyoa/

I hope Andre Cymone goes on tour with them. He's probably the closest to Prince's style outside of that one guy from Mint Condition.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It was Wendy doing most of the vocals, but Andre Cymone did some, as well as special guests Kimbra and Maya Rudolph.

It was the best concert I've ever been to.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
This was buried on prince.org but they played a full concert from June 1, 2014 during a Paisley After Dark party.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQVtGIogn-r/

Also Earl's Court 1992, Lovesexy Live, Musicology July 31, 2004, Jam of The Year January 4, 1998, 21 Nights In London September 13, 2007, Welcome 2 Australia May 18, 2012, Prince & The Revolution: Live and Sign O The Times.

It's cool how they're screening goodies that are unavailable anywhere else.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 14, 2017

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It's the Grammys tribute up anywhere?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Somebody posted this on prince.org and, after I got over the initial bullshit reaction, I think it's possible. The tracklist is just weird enough to seem real.

If it's true, it looks like the concerts are First Avenue - August 3, 1983 (aka The Makings Of Rain) and The Omni, Atlanta - January 4, 1985 (which exists in a single cam tape recording)

quote:

So my wife's good highschool friend works in LA for Warner Bros. Music. He knows I am a HUGE Prince fan. Late last night
He sent her an email:

"Tell XXXXX that I saw in a shared drive we all share a document of a 'working' track list for the upcoming Purple Rain rerelease. This is hot buzz around here. LOTs of attention. Very hush hush. I saw the doc and screen captured it:

Purple Rain Deluxe: 2/14/17
Album - 1
Let's Go Crazy
Take Me With U
The Beautiful Ones
Computer Blue
Darling Nikki
When Doves Cry
I Would Die 4 U
Baby I'm A Star
Purple Rain

Album - 2
Let's Go Crazy (Special Dance Mix)
Erotic City (Dance Mix)
17 Days
God
Another Lonely Christmas
I Would Die 4 U (Extended)
Jungle Love
The Bird
Sex Shooter
Modernaire

Album - 3
Let's Go Crazy (Demo)
Mighty Will Rise Up
This Thing Is Real
Electric Intercourse
Wednesday
Love And Sex
When Doves Cry (Alternate Take)
Traffic Jam
Mama
Father's Song
Computer Blue (Alternative Take 1)
Computer Blue (Alternative Take 2)
Baby I'm A Star (1982)
Phone Call To Jonathan
Purple Rain (Rehearsal)

Album - 4
Let's Go Crazy
When You Were Mine
A Case of You
Computer Blue
Delirious
Electric Intercourse
Automatic
I Would Die 4 U
Baby I'm a Star
Little Red Corvette
Purple rain
D.M.S.R.

Album - 5
Strawberry Shortcake
The Belle Of St Mark
Oliver's House
Next Time Wipe The Lipstick From Your Collar
Erotic City
The Glamorous Lufe
Let's Go Crazy
Delirious
Little Red Corvette
Take Me With U
Free
Do Me, Band
How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore
Let's Pretend We're Married
International Lover
Father's Song
God
Computer Blue
Darling Nikki
The Beautiful Ones
When Doves Cry
I Would Die 4 U
Baby I'm a Star
Purple Rain

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
All of that sounds good, though that second disc sounds a bit lacklustre (I'll assume that the 'dance mix' of Let's Go Crazy is just the same 12" version that's already on Spotify etc).

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

DrVenkman posted:

All of that sounds good, though that second disc sounds a bit lacklustre (I'll assume that the 'dance mix' of Let's Go Crazy is just the same 12" version that's already on Spotify etc).

Disc 2 is basically previously released b-sides until it gets to Jungle Love. I assume the rest are the original/unreleased versions with Prince on vocals.

- edit i found the omni 85 show if anybody wants to give it a watch ahead of time http://www.downvids.net/prince-1985-01-04-the-omni-atlanta-ga-full-show-793079.html

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 7, 2017

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Got tickets to see The Revolution in July. I'm really looking forward to that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

man nurse posted:

Got tickets to see The Revolution in July. I'm really looking forward to that.

Who does vocals?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

BiggerBoat posted:

Who does vocals?

Wendy posted:

Who's going to be singing?
Well, that's the thing. Everybody keeps saying, "Well, why are you doing it? Who's going to sing? Who's going to be Prince? Who's going to be the centerpiece?" All right, let's break this down: No one. No one's going to be Prince. No one will ever be Prince, and none of us in the band are going to try and be him. You can't. It's just not going to happen.

So what was your solution?
All this is all fluid right now. But the plan today – and it's changeable – is we only perform songs that don't distance us as the band. So in other words, if we perform "Darling Nikki," none of us are going to sing it. We're going to have someone come out and do it. Wherever we go, there's going to be an artist who loved him deeply and they can come up and sing that song. But the other tracks that were specifically geared around a band – say, "Let's Go Crazy" or "Controversy," or songs that have more like group vocals – we're going to [sing them]. We're also going to do some of the songs that didn't call for a lot of his calisthenics or his screaming. There's no one who could do that. No one.

What do you mean by other artists?
If, say, D'Angelo wants to come out and sing, I don't know, "Sister," he can go ahead and do that. That would be something that would make sense. But none of us are going to do it. We'll play the songs, there's no question about it, but you're going to see us doing things more like "Girls and Boys," "Love or $" [the B side of "Kiss"]. There's a massive catalogue of what we can perform. Most of it is the big hits, and I'm remiss to think that people are going to be bummed because they're going to be hearing like booby-prize songs. I don't think that's going to happen. And people who are saying, "Who's going sing 'Purple Rain'?" gently caress, we just ... Once again, let's break this down. Why doesn't everybody in the audience sing it? We'll play it, we'll put a couple microphones out there, and you sing it! That song is bigger than any of us now. It's a group vocal. Everybody sing it.

The whole point of it is for us to be out there and give all of us and the fans just a sense to kind to reckon with this – and, at the same time, have some fun. Those were really important times for him, and they were really important times for us. And like I said, we're alive and physically capable of doing it without seeming like total sad-sack old people. We can go out there and give a great show. So we're going to try it. There are going to be haters. I don't really care. It's really not about that. You still want to come? It's up to you.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/the-revolutions-wendy-melvoin-on-princes-death-new-tour-w470525

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That's the smartest approach they could have taken.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I've answered that question like three times in here I hate you guys.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
New boots on the way!

quote:

2 Purple Rain Tour concerts 1985 - Uniondale NY
2 Purple Rain Tour soundchecks 1985 - Memphis TN + Miami FL
All soundboard stereo recordings

Disc One
March 20th, 1985 part 1:

01. 17 Days
02. Let's Go Crazy
03. Delirious
04. 1999 incl. Reveille [traditional]
05. Little Red Corvette
06. Take Me With U incl. All The Critics Love U In New York (instr.)
07. Yankee Doodle [traditional] (instr.) incl. When Doves Cry (spoken lyrics)
08. Do Me, Baby
09. Irresistible Bitch
10. Possessed
11. How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore
12. Temptation (spoken lyrics)
13. Let’s Pretend We’re Married
14. International Lover
15. God
16. Computer Blue
17. Darling Nikki

Disc Two
March 20th, 1985 part 2:
01. The Beautiful Ones
02. When Doves Cry
03. I Would Die 4 U
04. Baby I’m A Star incl. Bodyheat [James Brown] (instr.)
05. Purple Rain (incomplete)

March 23rd, 1985 part 1:
06. Let's Go Crazy
07. Delirious
08. 1999 incl. Reveille [traditional]
09. Little Red Corvette
10. Take Me With U incl. All The Critics Love U In New York
11. Yankee Doodle [traditional] (instr.) incl. When Doves Cry (spoken lyrics)
12. Do Me, Baby
13. Irresistible Bitch
14. Possessed
15. How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore
16. Condition Of The Heart
17. Raspberry Beret

Disc Three
March 23rd, 1985 part 2:
01. Head
02. Temptation (intro)
03. Let’s Pretend We’re Married
04. International Lover (aborted)
05. God
06. Computer Blue
07. Darling Nikki
08. The Beautiful Ones incl. The Dance Electric (intro)
09. When Doves Cry
10. I Would Die 4 U
11. Baby I’m A Star
12. Purple Rain
13. America incl. When The Saints Go Marching In [traditional]

Disc Four
Soundcheck at the Mid-South Coliseum - January 25th, 1985:
01. Purple Rain (take #1)
02. Purple Rain (take #2)
03. Purple Rain (take #3)
04. Let’s Go Crazy (take #1; instr.) - Baby I’m A Star (short instr.)
05. Let’s Go Crazy (take #2; instr.)
06. Jailhouse Rock [Elvis Presley]
07. Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On [Jerry Lee Lewis]
08. Blues In A
09. I Got You (I Feel Good) [James Brown] - Voodoo Child (Slight Return) [Jimi Hendrix] (short instr.)
10. The Ladder
11. Bedtime Story
12. The Beautiful Ones (instr.) - When Doves Cry (short instr.)

Soundcheck at the Orange Bowl - April 7th, 1985:
13. Groove In F-Sharp
14. Bodyheat [James Brown] (instr.)
15. The Ladder
16. Let's Go Crazy (instr./drum check)
17. Prince talks to some fans who snuck in for a moment, before they are escorted out by security - The Beautiful Ones (short instr.)
[plus i guess the rest of what we've already got with the orange bowl soundcheck]

The samples sound perfect but I remember the same thing with Worcester 1985 and that release was all sorts of hosed up. Fingers crossed this one is amazing.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Please tell me y'all have heard "Bob George" from the Black Album that Prince thought Satan put in his brain during an eight day ecstasy binge.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
NPG's also going on tour and they might be the better lineup. Really hope one of the two can make it to Florida.

quote:

The crowd's reception to NPG during the October show triggered the decision to reunite. Members of the band last played on Prince’s last album, 2015’s HitnRun: Phase Two. “It was quite an undertaking doing the tribute in October, the politics of it,” says Morris Hayes, NPG’s musical director, who first met Prince in the late ‘80s and played with him from 1992 to 2012. “I had three people to please: the promoter, the family, and most of all, the fans. The resounding response I got on social media was they were so happy, but there were a lot of people who couldn’t get a ticket who wanted to hear this music. Prince’s music is here to stay and people want to experience that feeling of getting together. That was the biggest motivator for me.”

NPG’s move follows The Revolution’s February announcement to tour this Spring. The Revolution backed Prince during the ‘80s, including the Purple Rain era.

The Revolution consisted primarily of five core players, while NPG’s line-up was much more fluid -- “It was more like a P-Funk All Stars thing,” Hayes says. For the upcoming dates, the roster will be Hayes (keyboards), former Revolution member Andre Cymone (vocals), Kip Blackshire (vocals), Marva King (vocals), Tommy Barbarella (keyboards), Levi Seacer Jr (guitar), Kirk Johnson (Drums), Tony Mosley (guitar, vocals), Sonny Thompson (bassist) and Damon Dickson (dancer, vocals)

Other members, including drummer Michael Bland and vocalist Shelby J will rotate in as needed and as their schedules permit.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7727868/new-power-generation-reunion-2017-tour-prince-handwritten-letter

There's also talk of doing a new album which is pretty exciting.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Kirk Johnson did a really weird awkward interview the other day. I think dude knows something.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/prince-confidant-drummer-kirk-johnson-paisley-park-tour-legacy/

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

BiggerBoat posted:

Kirk Johnson did a really weird awkward interview the other day. I think dude knows something.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/prince-confidant-drummer-kirk-johnson-paisley-park-tour-legacy/

He responded like a guy who told them beforehand that he wouldn't be answering questions like that.

(still he absolutely has the clearest picture of what happened and how bad prince's drug problem was)

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Pretty cool that the goatse man was Prince's drummer

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Call Me Charlie posted:

New boots on the way!

The samples sound perfect but I remember the same thing with Worcester 1985 and that release was all sorts of hosed up. Fingers crossed this one is amazing.

This one's in the wild! And there's seemingly no issues like with Worcester. :)

- edit Goddamn, he was on point during this show. And the audio quality is perfect.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 31, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Andre Cymone released a new album. It's all rock but the samples seem pretty good.

https://andrecymone.bandcamp.com/album/1969-4

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Universal is trying to get out of their deal since Prince was a terrible businessman. lol

quote:

Universal and Prince’s estate in January agreed to a deal worth about $30 million for the rights, but some of the rights Universal was promised appeared to conflict with rights negotiated by Access Industries Inc.’s Warner Music Group, the late singer’s first record label, the people said.

Lawyers representing Universal expressed their concerns about the deal in a letter to Prince’s estate, now being administered by Comerica Bank & Trust, the people said. The company may decide to ask the estate for a full refund, they said.

Warner, which released Prince’s first 18 albums containing most of the hits, signed another record deal with Prince in 2014 that secured its ownership of all of those albums in perpetuity overseas, while giving it the right to block future releases from Prince’s storied vault—the centerpiece of Universal’s deal—if the tunes were recorded while he was under contract with Warner.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/record-label-says-it-didnt-get-what-it-paid-for-in-deal-for-princes-music-rights-2017-04-14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Hey y'all. I know that my posting in this thread and the previous one was, and is, very bad. But if any of you die-hard Prince nuts enjoy trivia and can look past my terrible posting, please come join the ~~goon team~~ that has played for several years now in the insane trivia contest broadcast from Stevens Point, Wisconsin (thread). As you can see by the logo and theme, this year has quite a high chance of including questions about The Purple One, perhaps especially because the first day of the contest (April 21) falls on the one-year anniversary of his passing. The contest goes all weekend, but even if you can only pop in for a few minutes here or there all of us will appreciate it. And aside from possible Prince questions, there are also a ton of questions every year about popular music. It's a lot of fun, come join us!

The questions actually start a few days before the contest, so now is a great time to get set up on IRC to join us. We will get the first questions at some time on Monday, April 17th, and these early questions consist of a pamphlet that will have around 20-30 mystery pictures in it. There is a good chance that some of these will be music related so you (yes, you!) have a good chance of getting goons some sweet, sweet points, and consequently it may be those points that put us ahead of several turbonerd teams who have been playing in this contest for decades. These nerds have entire garages and basements full of candy wrappers and ancient magazines because they think it will score them a cheap trophy in the contest, and our team loves nothing more than ruining the bragging rights of some poor geek in rural Wisconsin who has been dutifully cataloging boxes of Special K for his entire adult life.

P.S. I will make one final note here about our team name. It's very stupid. The story goes that, in the first year goons played, some of them thought it would be funny to name their team something to try and gross out small-town Wisconsinites. The idea is that people would hear our team name, not know what it was, and Google it, thus being surprised by gross things on the Internet. So, they named themselves "Trivial Fursuit". Classy, right? Well, it became one of those jokes that went on for too long, and now I guess we are stuck with it. We aren't like, actually furries though, dear God no :gonk:

• Locked thread