Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Astrochicken posted:

Is there any place online where I can hear the Prince track "Raspberry Beret"© for free yet?

^^^Are you serious?^^^

Anyway, thatnks for making this thread. Surprised there's not more interest. I know that since Prince's death, YouTube exploded with material and so many people were like "wow, I didn't know he could do this and that". There's SO MANY great songs that to this day have never entered the mainstream. I'm thinking "Days Of Wild", "Exodus", "The Truth", "Colonized Mind", "Joy in Repetition"...

What the estate really needs to do is release a proper box set with bonus live DVD material that spans the dude's entire career. Prince's live performaces have never been given the proper treatment or exposure. I'd mix in some aftershow stuff too. "Prince 4Ever" makes it seems like the last good sone Prince ever wrote was "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" and it bugs me that people only ever associate him with "Purple Rain", Kiss" and "1999".

He didn't go away or stop writing good stuff. He just went sort of underground. One critic described him as "the most famous underground musician of all time" and I always found that a pretty apt description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

ITunes has Moonbeam Levels up on its own, too.

Yeah...not really feeling that track.

On the topic of unreleased material and to keep the thread breathing, what are some of you guy's favorite more obscure tracks, released or otherwise? I always list "Calhoun Square" as my favorite lesser known and celebrated song.

General question: wtf is up with the Purple Paisley Head die hards who are going on and on about how Prince was murdered? I spend some time on Prince.org and there's a small but dedicated tin foil hat base of fans who absolutely think that Prince's death was "mysterious" and "there are just SO MANY unanswered questions!" It's real "Loose Change"/JFK poo poo and, for me, it's gone from hilarious to depressing to outright angering me all the way back to funny again.

These people really think they're on to something, cracking the case and pepper their posts with "Chemtrails", anti-vaccination screeds, numerology, cryptic lyrics and dark conspiracies. They think Prince was intentionally poisoned and that "the man" took him out - the Man in this case being either Warner Bros, the Illuminatti or, lately, Russian assassins using Fentanyl - or all three. "The Media", of course, is in on it as well.

It's insane. They post this crap and then call someone crazy for believing there might be life on other planets.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dead Snoopy posted:

Murdered? No. I do have my reservations that he left 'no' will. I suspect that loving thing is out there and has been either suppressed by the family who don't stand to benefit or hasn't been discovered.

Knowing Prince its probably some audiotrack somewhere, sitting in an unmarked pile of tapes.

I'm telling you it's nuts and these people are the worst. Here you go.

http://prince.org/msg/7/433876

I think you nailed it about the will. Prince not having a will makes perfect sense to me, especially with the whole "God takes care of everything/Life is Everlasting" approach he espoused, especially later in his life after his JW conversion. If he is in heaven, like he believed he would be, he's probably up there wondering why so many people are worried about money.

I can easily picture a guy like Prince not having a will. He wasn't married anymore and he had no kids. He clearly thought that his life was just another step in the road on an everlasting journey and that the time he spent on earth was just another chapter in an unwritten book.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Creature posted:

'3 Chains O Gold' off the Love Symbol album is one of my favourite tracks of his. It's so overblown. Likewise, 'Gold' from The Gold Experience. There's a bit of a theme there, I'll admit.

I also have a soft spot for 'Sleep Around' and 'The Human Body' from Emancipation.

Sounds like you like the club sound. "Loose" might be up your alley.

On the subject of "overblown", a lot of The Rainbow Children album is in that category. It's an odd record that doesn't get a lot of mention but for all of its proselytizing and "look at how DEEP I am" vibe, there's a lot of really strong musicianship and songwriting on that record, plus some good production that, for once, feels organic. It's one of those that I like IN SPITE of the lyrics but I hardly ever pull it out BECAUSE of the lyrics. Some of it reminds me of Queen at their best.

"Overblown" tracks like "Last December" and "Family Name" are pretty great.

Prince always seemed to stuff in at least one "overblown" over the top track on every record he made, come to think of it. Sometimes it was just too much but it was obvious he had something to say.

Off topic (and slightly on): I watched "Livesexy 88" the other night for the first time in a while and honestly found it overrated. Time hasn't helped it. I like the album and saw the show but, drat, for someone who hated lip syncing and pre-recorded stuff, Livesexy was rife with it. As much as I love "AnnaStesia", you can see and hear the disconnect when he's rising and playing the keyboard. The drums and most of the music are piped in throughout and, speaking of "overblown", god drat was that concert over the loving top. From the outfits to the choreography to the "message"...

Love that "Bob George" though, the Elton John/P-Funk get up and that sick beat but I think Prince peaked from a "live" standpoint somewhere between the name change and the "musicology" tour. His band got better for one thing. The mid to late 90's NPG were ridiculous and I remember really appreciating at the time that he was surrounding with very talented people instead of people who "looked right: or whatever he thought was important at the time. His drum sound during this time (after the name change) really really helped though. Sheila was great but she's more of a percussionist. Michael Bland and John Blackwell gave Prince's music a much needed thicker, heavier and more organic bottom end.

Funk needs a drummer.

Sorry to rant, but I keep thinking as I write and coming up with forgotten and under appreciated gems. Charlie listed a lot of good ones but for some reason today I thought of "Wasted Kisses" and wondered why Prince buried so much of his really great stuff amidst a sea of mediocrity. Even his choices of singles from "Emancipation" were underwhelming and dull. There's a lot of great poo poo on that record. Something for everyone.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

never stop posting

I know you're trying to make fun of me, and maybe deservedly so, but I've heard Prince himself make the distinction between "percussionist" and "drummer".

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

What would a Prince compilation look like post, say, the Love Symbol album? All the compilation stuff seems to stop with TSMBGITW. His consistency admittedly suffered a bit after the name change and all but there's still a lot of great stuff.

Colonized Mind
Love
The Word
Revelation
Dance 4 Me
Way Back Home
PFUNK
Glass Cutter
Hard Rock Lover
Sticky Like Glue
Laydown
Groovy Potential

^^^I'd listen to this record^^^

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

sorry, i thought that comparison was some kind of fart-huffing critique jargon that one might encounter on a place like pitchfork. now i'm actually interested, i wonder what prince meant by it

Prince was asked about assembling his ultimate band or something from current and former band members and he said "Sheila on drums. No...wait...Sheila on 'percussion'".

think he meant the difference between playing behind a full kit as opposed to to a stand up set with congas, bongos, a tom and some snares - like how you usually see her play. Where the "percussion" accentuates the main beat and adds fills and flash. It's a subtle difference (if there even is one) but that was what I took from it.

I really hope the estate gets it together and gives us a decent live box set similar to what Page has done with Zeppelin and Rush have offered their fans. I watched some of the Montreaux stuff and it's criminal how little of Prince's live material is so buried and undocumented.

Especially the aftershows

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

The Revolution is going on tour.

And this is kinda sad but I guess necessary to start building his legacy.

[url]https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:rXWQBCrk3UEJ:https://www.ft.com/content/b0244118-ed9c-11e6-930f-061b01e23655+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us[/url]

I wish Prince had just made the outtakes, vault material and live shows available for purchase on his own site. Now it's just going to be the vultures profiting off this stuff.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

man nurse posted:

Got tickets to see The Revolution in July. I'm really looking forward to that.

Who does vocals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Kirk Johnson did a really weird awkward interview the other day. I think dude knows something.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/prince-confidant-drummer-kirk-johnson-paisley-park-tour-legacy/

• Locked thread