Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Murdered? No. I do have my reservations that he left 'no' will. I suspect that loving thing is out there and has been either suppressed by the family who don't stand to benefit or hasn't been discovered.

Knowing Prince its probably some audiotrack somewhere, sitting in an unmarked pile of tapes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm telling you it's nuts and these people are the worst. Here you go.

http://prince.org/msg/7/433876

I think you nailed it about the will. Prince not having a will makes perfect sense to me, especially with the whole "God takes care of everything/Life is Everlasting" approach he espoused, especially later in his life after his JW conversion. If he is in heaven, like he believed he would be, he's probably up there wondering why so many people are worried about money.

I can easily picture a guy like Prince not having a will. He wasn't married anymore and he had no kids. He clearly thought that his life was just another step in the road on an everlasting journey and that the time he spent on earth was just another chapter in an unwritten book.

See, I get where you're coming from and for an artist like Prince it makes total sense, especially when it comes to his faith. Yet BUSINESSMAN Prince was the slickest motherfucker alive. I don't think his adoption of the internet was perfect but he was more prolific than much of the industry when it came to the business of it then the majority of his peers.

Package the cd with the concert ticket/experience - Prince did it first.

Cut a distribution deal directly with the big box retailer instead of the major label - Prince did it first.

Re-record his hit and re-licence it so HE gets paid instead of the major label - Prince did it first.

I think if the right person got into his ear and said"hey Prince, you know how you want to put out every concept and tune on YOUR timetable? Well phones have apps and you could cut out iTunes..." Prince could have done that too.

He wasn't perfect and there was a lot of room to improve but Prince was a gamer. If he had a hit even as big as 'Cream' during any of these distribution models, hang it up - argument is over.

He had a vision for how his music was to be consumed and he protected it with an iron will. So when I hear that there isn't a set of instructions for whoever has the keys to the kingdom, I call bullshit. Prince may have been shortsighted about his place on the mortal coil but I can't believe he was shortsighted about his art's place beyond him. That's as far as I allow my conspiracy theory to take me.

• Locked thread