Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy

Do you remember Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal? Remember how everyone was demanding that Insomniac should make a game based entirely off the arena combat in the game? No, of course you don't because loving no one wanted that. But that's never stopped a video game developer before. In 2005 Ratchet Deadlocked was released. It was piss. Remember the light hearted humour of the series? Gone. Remember a huge variety of bright, visually impressive planets? Gone. Remember having your robot-shaped robot buddy helping you out through all your adventures? Gone. It took all the good stuff and threw it out the window, replacing it with grimdark and edge.

To be fair to the game, the basic gameplay is still fun. If you overlook how repetitive this game is. The game gives you two combat bot helpers that can do a variety of tasks that sound really useful, but actually they are about as useful as a piece of moist flannel. Instead of the combat bots, this game can be played entirely in co-op. But only couch co-op, no online. Don't want you having too much fun.

This LP will be a co-op 100%, platinum trophy run. Myself, and Random Ninja will be playing through the entire game, seeing everything there is to see. We are playing this half-blind. We've both played through this game before, but that was at the release of the original game, over 10 years ago. One could say we're a bit rusty. Our first run will be relatively unedited, live commentary. The second challenge mode run will be edited to show gathering the remaining skill points, and anything else that is interesting with post-commentary.

The version of the game we are playing is the HD port that was released in 2013. This version of the game is a piece of poo poo dumpster fire. I cannot empathize this enough. Cutscenes are ruined. There are many glitches. They removed subtitles for some reason, so I had to add subtitles to the videos by hand please overlook the typos. Do not buy the HD port. It is bad. DO NOT BUY THE HD PORT.

Rules and poo poo
1. Spoilers in tags are okay. Please don't post spoilers out of tags.
2. This thread updates every wednesday.

Episode 1: It's Time to Blow poo poo Up
Episode 2: Bottom of the Barrel
Episode 3: I loving Hate This
Episode 4: Big Boned Robot
Episode 5: What is an Anime Party?
Episode 6: gently caress You Landstalker
Episode 7: Guns Are Overrated
Episode 8: Burnt rear end and Clank
Episode 9: Depressing for Many Reasons

The Heavenator fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I'm not lazy, I'm just not willing to drive to whatever loving end of Canada you're living in this week to play it with you.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Voting 1 because of typos in the subtitles.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
The only thing I remember from this game was that the commentators were entertaining, maybe it was just for 11 year old me since I don't remember anything specific since this is the only Ratchet and Ratchet game that I rented for a weekend instead of owning.

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
You know, it's funny, but this particular Ratchet and Clank has always been near and dear to my heart for how god-awful the story is. Cheers to you guys for sitting down and dragging yourself through the disappointment that is this game.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
It's not that bad, it's still got comedy in it, it's just not nearly as strong as the previous games. It's definitely the weakest of the main game entries.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Fabulousvillain posted:

The only thing I remember from this game was that the commentators were entertaining, maybe it was just for 11 year old me since I don't remember anything specific since this is the only Ratchet and Ratchet game that I rented for a weekend instead of owning.

"It's cold, it's dark, it's scary, it's just like my ex-wife!"

The commentators were good, but outside of cutscenes they started repeating themself very quickly.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

If Ratchet was a tough cookie, what kind of cookie would he be? I'm gonna have to go with "snickerdoodle".

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
I've actually bought this and this is the only Ratchet and Clank PS2 game I've completed, I don't know why. I honestly don't know why the HD version of this is completely bad compared to the other games, it's just bizarre that they screwed it up.

Also Gleeman Vox's model is horrifying bad.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Great Joe posted:

If Ratchet was a tough cookie, what kind of cookie would he be? I'm gonna have to go with "snickerdoodle".

Snickerdoodles are soft, though.

Esoteric Banana
Mar 29, 2010

I love the R&C series, but when I played the demo for this I was completely turned off by how lame it was. Also any game without Clank helping is garbage or at least just mediocre (I'm looking are you Quest for Booty).

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Fun fact: Almost everything Random said about Final Fantasy was wrong.

*America did get the first Final Fantasy on NES.
*Final Fantasy IV ended up being Final Fantasy II in the US.
*Final Fantasy VI was Final Fantasy III.
*Final Fantasy Chronicles did have Chrono Trigger, but that's not Final Fantasy so he's still wrong about everything.
*Final Fantasy Chronicles also had Final Fantasy IV, the big boy version that was actually hard.
*Final Fantasy Tactics was never sold in a collection as far as I know, and until recently actually demanded ridiculous prices due to limited printing.

He was also wrong about the people who did the HD port. Idol Minds did both the Ratchet and Clank collection and this game, but this game was offered for free to people who bought another game (i think it was the tower defense one) so they just REALLY phoned it in and I don't think there's any plans to ever fix it because who gives a poo poo about Ratchet Deadlocked?

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Protector of the innocent, assassin of the unjust, and a lover of delicious, sweet, creamy Ice cream.

kalonZombie posted:

Fun fact: Almost everything Random said about Final Fantasy was wrong.

*America did get the first Final Fantasy on NES.
*Final Fantasy IV ended up being Final Fantasy II in the US.
*Final Fantasy VI was Final Fantasy III.
*Final Fantasy Chronicles did have Chrono Trigger, but that's not Final Fantasy so he's still wrong about everything.
*Final Fantasy Chronicles also had Final Fantasy IV, the big boy version that was actually hard.
*Final Fantasy Tactics was never sold in a collection as far as I know, and until recently actually demanded ridiculous prices due to limited printing.

He was also wrong about the people who did the HD port. Idol Minds did both the Ratchet and Clank collection and this game, but this game was offered for free to people who bought another game (i think it was the tower defense one) so they just REALLY phoned it in and I don't think there's any plans to ever fix it because who gives a poo poo about Ratchet Deadlocked?

I am frequently wrong about a great many things. Sidenote: Kalon is also wrong about things, just not generally Ratchet and Clank things. Except LPing All 4 One. He was wrong about that.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Lizard Wizard posted:

Snickerdoodles are soft, though.

:thejoke:

This was the last Rachet & Clank game I played, and I played a lot of it. I think I got it into my head that since it was the latest game it must therefore be the best. That and all the skill points kept taunting my completionist instincts.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
I also played the hell out of this back in the day, one of the few games I managed to 100%. While I did miss having Clank around, the two combat bots made up for it in a way. One of them would tell some pretty funny war stories, the other had some good good combat dialogue, one of my favorites being "Aww look, I see an itty-bitty turret! Boss, can I blow it up? Pretty please?!"

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'd say Deadlocked (or Ratchet: Gladiator as it was over here) was a pretty good game, it just wasn't that good a Ratchet & Clank game. Most obviously it lacked the exploration aspect of the previous games as you were locked into linear challenges. It's funny, I had a lot of fun in the Tyrrhanoid challenges in Ratchet 3, but this game just didn't seem to capture the same feel as those. Maybe it's just that those challenges aren't strong enough to carry a whole game, similar to the arena ones.

Despite all that I had enough fun to play this game through to the end. The weapon mod system is good, the co-op system is good, the dialogue is good, most of the challenges are pretty fun overall.

The port you're using is dire though. What the hell. Feels like you'd have better luck just putting the PS2 disc in and kicking your machine until it tries to run it.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I never actually played this one. Seems like I didn't miss much.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The 'tude in the cutscenes is past Jak 2 levels, what the heck were they thinking?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

It may just be because I played through all the way on coop when this came out, but I really enjoyed this game. Sure, it's not the same feel as a main line R&C game, but I'd say it's the second best of the non-main-line bunch, after Into the Nexus.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
As much as the LPer hates it. I find it's not a BAD game by any means. It's not as polished as it could be, but it's certainly not a horrible game by any stretch. Though it shows the story was a huge afterthought.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Mechanically it is not a bad shootmans. It is however an awful Ratchet game, and this port is the drizzling shits. Further evidence of this will be in abundance in tomorrow's video. Also the coop is real bad.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Gameplay was fun but linear and repetitive which isn't what I wanted from a Ratchet and Clank game, cutscenes we're leaning too hard on grimdark and boring. Basically the opposite of All4One, no I haven't played All4One and never plan to.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Episode 2: Bottom of the Barrel

More issues rear their heads. This port is piss.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
PS2 had issues with Slowdown as well. It's REALLY apparent in one certain mission, which is a horde mode of sorts with small enemies. And a certain mod makes it chug HARDER than it already does.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I still think it's fair to say that Bullet Time wouldn't be a problem in the HD version if they gave a single poo poo. Also that was the perfect spot to end the episode. :allears:

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Kemix posted:

PS2 had issues with Slowdown as well. It's REALLY apparent in one certain mission, which is a horde mode of sorts with small enemies. And a certain mod makes it chug HARDER than it already does.

Well in the port it is really apparent in every mission. Slow down to single frames is a constantly recurring problem.

I'm almost impressed they accurately replicated framerate issues. I'm mostly enraged.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Kemix posted:

When my brother and I played through this entire game in a weekend, we had to set a house rule not to use that mod because it made the game almost unplayable. I don't remember what it was, and wouldn't say what it was if I did, but I remember that specific problem.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I actually really liked this game back in the day, but I was a 14 year old who though covering up swears with beeps was the funniest poo poo. There are some funny cutscenes, especially when it involves the commentators.

I do like how the last legacy of this game seems to be in Ratchet and Clank 2016 they gave the news reporter (Darla Gratch) the appearance of Juanita the commentator.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
who IS kalonzombie

im here to find out

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Mico posted:

who IS kalonzombie

im here to find out

its a mystery to all

even kalonzombie

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Ah yes, the magma cannon is the best weapon for...the entire game if I remember correctly?
Anyways, you guys are hysterical.

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Protector of the innocent, assassin of the unjust, and a lover of delicious, sweet, creamy Ice cream.

Sjs00 posted:

Ah yes, the magma cannon is the best weapon for...the entire game if I remember correctly?
Anyways, you guys are hysterical.

The magma cannon is consistently good, but it is definitely not the best weapon in the game (even discounting the RYNO-equivalent). The one thing Deadlocked does well (compared to the other PS2 era R&C games) is that it makes almost eveery weapon feel useful. Like, some of the weapons in this game I remembered clearly, whereas Up Your Arsenal was not quite as memorable.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Episode 3: I loving Hate This

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Episode 4

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

For whatever reason, the grind rails are less co-operative (ha!) in this game than even the first Ratchet. Maybe it's a symptom of the port, but I really don't recall the first Ratchet being so annoying to naviagte

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

RandomNinja posted:

For whatever reason, the grind rails are less co-operative (ha!) in this game than even the first Ratchet. Maybe it's a symptom of the port, but I really don't recall the first Ratchet being so annoying to naviagte

They weren't that bad on the PS2 version. So, yea, I'd probably blame the poo poo porting job.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Why would you care about getting alcohol in Ottawa when you can just drive across the border and grab all your drinking needs from Gatineau? :v:

I'm constantly befuddled by the fact that they don't allow each player to wield the same gun. Was there ever an official explanation for it? Like... maybe they couldn't have experience for guns be gained from two different sources or something?

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm constantly befuddled by the fact that they don't allow each player to wield the same gun. Was there ever an official explanation for it? Like... maybe they couldn't have experience for guns be gained from two different sources or something?

The conclusion that we eventually came to after many beers it that it has to be a design decision. But reviewing the footage of how badly it runs, it might well be tech limitations. In short :iiam:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Oh man, this also was the last Ratchet and Clank game I ended up playing too. Partially because of tech limitations and partially because of how badly done all the upscale from PSP to PS2 games ended up being. I LIKE the game, but it's definitely not as good as the games that came before it. There are way too many limitations purposefully put in that just limit the fun you're having. Also I was never able to beat the Exterminator difficulty version of the final boss for some reason which infuriated me. I don't remember, are we already at a point where you guys have gotten enough stars to start unlocking player skins? I seem to remember there's a bunch of them. Plus I want to say there are a couple that are free from the getgo and one that's only available in co-op mode.

Also, you have enough skill points to do the "gangsta mode" with the vipers you mentioned. I think you have enough to take off Ratchet's helmet too.

Finally, one little "bug" of sorts I remember doing to fast level my weapons--you remember that first hacking node door on Sarathos, the first place you use the tool in fact? Well you might have noticed after you hacked one node but not the other, those little mouser looking guys started teleporting in non-stop. Often they drop bolts too. So I'd just hack one node and leave the other unhacked, and just start slaying the hordes. It worked especially well with the shock mod added, so you'd kill like five or six with one blow. Holoshield level up VERY fast this way. However, if you let the horde grow out of control, slowdown gets ridiculous. I actually ended up soft-locking my game once or twice from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
What I want to know is who the hell thought that Deadlocked was a good idea? Like not only did the Jak series go the dark & edgy route already but that was actually done right in my opinion. There was no reason for Ratchet to have made this game, even as an experiment and I'm glad they drop it in favor of the Future series.

• Locked thread