Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy

Choco1980 posted:

I don't remember, are we already at a point where you guys have gotten enough stars to start unlocking player skins? I seem to remember there's a bunch of them. Plus I want to say there are a couple that are free from the getgo and one that's only available in co-op mode.

We start exploring the cheats and skins in the next recording session. There's one more video left in this session, so we'll be talking more about that soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Chimera-gui posted:

What I want to know is who the hell thought that Deadlocked was a good idea? Like not only did the Jak series go the dark & edgy route already but that was actually done right in my opinion. There was no reason for Ratchet to have made this game, even as an experiment and I'm glad they drop it in favor of the Future series.

At least Ratchet & Clank didn't diverge into combat racing.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Nidoking posted:

At least Ratchet & Clank didn't diverge into combat racing.

At least with that, Naughty Dog had not only done a racing game before with CTR but there was a great deal of vehicle usage in Jak 2 & 3 so it wasn't as much of a stretch plus unlike Deadlocked it kept the tone that had already been set by that point as I had already mentioned.

It may not have been a great game overall but it was arguably far better than Lost Frontier in that it can be consider an actual Jak game.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

Also I was never able to beat the Exterminator difficulty version of the final boss for some reason which infuriated me.

???
Exterminator final boss is only hard if you're not using the Harbinger, and since you need to beat the game once to unlock exterminator difficulty, you should have the omega(?) version.
However, it's a really fun fight in co-op if you both agree not to just use the harbinger and wipe the floor with him.

I'm just happy that you didn't have to beat it with a vehicle, god drat the final boss in Jak 3 was a pain.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Sorry for the missed week, December is kicking my rear end.

Episode 5: What is an Anime Party?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I do love all the stupid poo poo the news anchors do.

And the incredibly moronic smear campaign on Ratchet & Clank. Drawn on evil eyebrows on Clank :allears:

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Protector of the innocent, assassin of the unjust, and a lover of delicious, sweet, creamy Ice cream.

Shei-kun posted:

I do love all the stupid poo poo the news anchors do.

And the incredibly moronic smear campaign on Ratchet & Clank. Drawn on evil eyebrows on Clank :allears:

They really missed a chance to put the angry-japanese Ratchet eyebrows as well. would have been a good call back to the ridiculous box-art of the first game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I remember really enjoying Deadlocked on the highest difficulty, Exterminator, which you unlock after beating the game once. Suddenly it becomes a fast and challenging third-person shooter, up until you break it in half with one of the many overpowered weapons.

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Protector of the innocent, assassin of the unjust, and a lover of delicious, sweet, creamy Ice cream.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I remember really enjoying Deadlocked on the highest difficulty, Exterminator, which you unlock after beating the game once. Suddenly it becomes a fast and challenging third-person shooter, up until you break it in half with one of the many overpowered weapons.

We're actually playing on the second highest difficulty here, and because there are no overpowered weapons (yet), it's still fairly challenging. However, there are times where it's unfairly challenging, especially when aiming for 100% completion, since some of the challenges were clearly never meant to be completed on the hardest difficulty (looking at you anything that doesn't want health to be lost).

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Sorry for the delays, the start of the year was an incredible poo poo heap. Anyways, an update!

Episode 6: gently caress You Landstalker

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

The Heavenator posted:

Sorry for the delays, the start of the year was an incredible poo poo heap. Anyways, an update!

Insert update here

Man, that eel skin is ugly.

And that level. Of the levels we recorded, I remember that one the most. We were there for what felt like forever. Snow levels, sometimes as bad as sewer levels.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

This port seems to have some awful audio issues. Lots of loud whining ambient noises, drowning out any semblance of background music. At least I don't remember the original game being like that.

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

This port seems to have some awful audio issues. Lots of loud whining ambient noises, drowning out any semblance of background music. At least I don't remember the original game being like that.

Fixed that for you.

Welcome to bad ports and HD conversion. The man at the door will take your money.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Specifically what's going is that a sound effect will get stuck endlessly looping over itself creating an awful constant buzz. Due to our recording set up we couldn't notice this until we when back for the challenge mode run. Not like we could do much about it anyway

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

The Heavenator posted:

Episode 6: gently caress You Landstalker

Wait, you can't change Player 2's skin in the HD remake?
Back in the day my friend would always pick the player 2-exclusive Jak skin, because he loved Jak & Daxter 3. For some reason they actually made a red player 1 Jak skin, but there's no way to equip it in co-op, so you can only look at it wishfully.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Wait, you can't change Player 2's skin in the HD remake?

You can, we're just dumb. Also it's not super intuitive.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The smear campaign is even more idiotic when you consider that, by this point in the franchise, the duo have saved the galaxy no less than three times. This campaign should blow up in their face royally cause no one with a functioning brain should fall for this bullshit.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's kind of a running joke in the series that no one ever recognises Ratchet's accomplishments.

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

It's kind of a running joke in the series that no one ever recognises Ratchet's accomplishments.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the original series, Ratchet spends most of his time being whisked away to different galaxies between games, right? At least, I seem to remember something like that between the 1st and 2nd game. That's why it's a different vendor in each game. (Gadgetron, GrummelNet, etc...)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The second game takes place in a different galaxy, yes. The rest of the PS2 era is all in Solana. In R&C3 he's only known as Clank's chauffeur in a TV show.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Episode 7: Guns Are Overrated

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

I'm actually updating on the right day. Will wonders ever cease.

Episode 8: Burnt rear end and Clank

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

The music on Orxon is very good, but the missions aren't.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If I remember right the story for Orxon was you were there to blow up the refinery, and then the last mission is rescuing the audience before they blow up. It's like the one map's plot that I actually recall from playing this game ~10 years ago.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Episode 9: Depressing for Many Reasons

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Episode 10: Audible Button Mashing

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

I wish Ratchet and Clank was less classy. Their humour is too high-brow for dumb old me :rolleyes:

Like, that's always been their schtick, but Deadlocked lays it on a little thick with the skin descriptions and stuff.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Fun Deadlocked game: Look at the timer and see how long it takes a second to pass.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Episode 11: I Completely Trust You

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Thread Game: Please describe your most memorable Ratchet & Clank experience. It can be good, or bad, but I want to know what everyone thinks.

My most memorable experience with Ratchet & Clank was being a kid, and when I was younger my family never had much money, so I usually got one game and was happy. So one Christmas I get the parcel that is very clearly a game, and I open it to find Ratchet & Clank: ToD. I didn't have a PS3 at the time (this was launch year), so I'm thankful, but I explain to my mom that it's for PS3. She apologizes, plays it off like it's no big deal. Everyone else opens their presents, and the night goes on. Eventually it comes back around to me and there's a big box. I open it and it's a PS3, which was hugely unexpected.

Suffice to say I spent the next long while playing Tools of Destruction that Christmas night. It blew me away.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
My most memorable experience was discovering how badly the Crack in Time arena is programmed. If you use the sixaxis electro weapon in the longest arena challenge (the one with the most rounds), and then go in and use it again, you have a chance of crashing your PS3 and causing a need for a factory reset. First, you use it to sweep up the respawning ammo crates. Then you finish the challenge. If you go back in and try it again without leaving the arena ship, you cause a conflict between two lines of code. The weapon's "do not respawn crates picked up by this weapon until the player leaves completely", and the arena's "respawn the ammo crates every now and then." Both lines of code will butt heads, attempting to resolve (but being unable to, since they're exclusive to each other), and after about 5-6 rounds of trying to play the arena like normal, eventually the system will just go NOPE, can't do this no more, lock up, and force a factory reset. That wasn't the only time an Arena area gave me some trouble, either... :P

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

My big one was the Wrench Expert Challenge in Going Commando. It's the final arena challenge that I think you need to be in Challenge mode to unlock? You had to go through 15 rounds of arena, including both bosses, using only the wrench, without taking a hit.
Being 13 at the time, attempting to complete it sounded like a great idea, and after spending several days on the attempt I did it. I was so proud of getting the full 100% on the game.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Episode 12: Later, Shitlord!

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

I like this episode. I rewatched it and made myself laugh. I almost never like myself.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Episode 13: Spicy Challenge Orbs

RydogZeta
Feb 14, 2016
Al getting shot is all they could come up with for showing Ace is evil? It seems silly to make that Ratchet’s motivation for going after Vox and Ace with all that’s happened but then the story has been pretty sparse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Good god the respawn mechanics on that tower level.

• Locked thread