Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Went over the weekend, wanted to see a movie about wizards and weird beasts, wasn't disappointed. The plot was a little messy but man it was really fun to watch a group of people with competent magic skills running around for a change. That was always one of the annoying parts of the original HP series, that it's a world full of wizards yet everyone either sucks at it (the kids) or does their best to not use it/stay out of things (the adults).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Looper posted:

This reeked of tokenism to me, which was kind of troubling considering the president was both kind of incompetent and generally unpleasant

It was definitely 100% tokenism. Word on the street is they originally cast a white actor and then realized there were no people of color and recast. That might just be rumors though.

I don't know if Rowling or Hollywood is to blame but the whitewashing is just extreme.

Ouhei posted:

competent

:crossarms: What movie did you really watch?

Jenner fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 7, 2016

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012
The wizards featured in the movie were powerful, they just weren't smart.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Jenner posted:

:crossarms: What movie did you really watch?

What movie did you watch? I know your schtick in here is that the movie was awful and all but c'mon man. The Wizards in the movie clearly were adept (or competent) at using magic. They zipped around town at will, whipped up a variety of spells like it was nothing and generally integrated magic and it's uses way more in their actions than pretty much anything we saw in any of the original series.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The constant teleporting was kind of neat but most of the other magic on display were reconstruction and generic energy beams. Harry Potter magic has never been particularly interesting

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Looper posted:

The constant teleporting was kind of neat but most of the other magic on display were reconstruction and generic energy beams. Harry Potter magic has never been particularly interesting

It was interesting learning all the ways it can go wrong in the books, but that's a dropped aspect of the plot.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Ouhei posted:

What movie did you watch? I know your schtick in here is that the movie was awful and all but c'mon man. The Wizards in the movie clearly were adept (or competent) at using magic. They zipped around town at will, whipped up a variety of spells like it was nothing and generally integrated magic and it's uses way more in their actions than pretty much anything we saw in any of the original series.

I conceed they are magically competent. They are, however, not any other kind of competent.

I've made my point though. When you guys wanna discuss the implications I'll be here.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I don't think there's any point discussing the implications because the franchise itself never will, just like Harry Potter never did. JK Rowling casually throws out all sorts of stuff with serious ethical problems and never puts any effort into discussing it beyond generic good and evil. It's her most glaring failure as a writer- there's no sense of depth or even consistency. Even fans with Pottermore tinted glasses should have realized that when Cursed Child came out, with a plot indistinguishable from a bad nineties fanfic. Granted Rowling didn't write that one but she shilled for and obviously approved of it.

Whoever mentioned her Blairite politics gets a cold star. The Harry Potter books' baffling sense of morality makes a lot more sense when you look at Rowling's Twitter and realize she's one of the people who's convinced Tony Blair did no wrong. Torture rooms are A-OK from that mindset as long as the ones pulling the strings are a multiracial coalition. Just straight up lol at the idea that she did any kind of serious research into what society back then was really like rather than just writing out her fantasy of the way things ought to have been with incompetent people in charge for some reason. This woman wrote a story about a victim of chronic child abuse who gets saved by the British Boarding School system for pity's sake.

(as for the movie agree with the general consensus of it not being awful not also not exactly inspiring confidence for sequels either. I don't even hate Rowling or anything it's just god drat it is way easier to criticize her work than say nice things about it)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

Whoever mentioned her Blairite politics gets a cold star.

Was this intentional, or a very fortuitous typo?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Uh...the first one.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Xealot posted:

Another interpretation: Newt Scamander has autism. He's an intelligent but eccentric man who seldom makes eye contact, has few close friends, and has trouble internalizing social cues. And he devotes his life to building an encyclopedic knowledge of animals, which he likes more than people because the relationships he has with them are less complex. This is likewise not a pejorative remark, I just think the dude has Asperger syndrome.

Just got back from seeing this movie and this was definitely the impression I got, especially from his farewell to Tina. I thought it was sweet, really.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So what's Tina's excuse for having no chemistry with anyone

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

She's an rear end in a top hat.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

BrianWilly posted:

American.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So I'm not alone in feeling that the movie was oddly paced and I felt like the subject matter could have been more interesting than having a fight with grindlewald and his minion?

I didn't mind most of the characters but clearly the made the main character in that certain way of quirky to attract those sherlock Holmes fans.

I guess I did expect more... Things about magical beasts and taking care of them and how to deal with them in predominantly a muggle world. Well I'll see how the other films turn out I guess.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I like that the main character commits war crimes and introduces invasive species to foreign soil but it's okay because he's just so lovably awkward.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ruddiger posted:

I like that the main character commits war crimes and introduces invasive species to foreign soil but it's okay because he's just so lovably awkward.

This is basically true of every single protagonist in J.K. Rowling's works.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Wow this movie sucked rear end. Little bitch movie

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
This was a pretty good movie about how lovely America is to foreigners and endangered species.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

UmOk posted:

This was a pretty good movie about how lovely America is to foreigners and endangered species.

Also about how liberal multiculturalism is a fiction, and American government is no less fascist than the regimes they claim to oppose.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Late, late, late to the party but I (casual Potter fan) watched this last night with my sister (more into Potter but not, like, crazy) last night. She fell asleep minutes in. I sat through the whole thing thinking, there's maybe fifteen minutes of monsters in this drat near two and a half hour movie entitled "Fantastic Beasts". Instead I got boring Wizard politics and -and I think this is the kicker- a Harry Potter movie without Harry Potter or any of the characters we know. Looking back, I feel it's the characters and the Hogsmede/Diagonal Alley community that drew me into this series; goodness knows it isn't the larger world building, which is pretty terrible.

Vitamin P posted:

How you gonna tell me Redmayne worked with Ukrainian dragons on the eastern front and not do a little flashback, drat.

I am so loving angry we didn't get to see this.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Underground Magic School sounds like an anime. Like you've got a bunch of magical kids from the wrong side of the magical tracks who can't get into the elite school and they all end up going to a cheap school run by negligent, shady, disgraced wizards/witches... which puts it about on the same level as Hogwart's, anyway.

Is there a non-lovely series like this because God drat that's a neat premise.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The second book of The Magicians trilogy has a subplot kind of similar to that, but YMMV on whether it's non-lovely. I liked it, but a lot of people bounce right off.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

cptn_dr posted:

The second book of The Magicians trilogy has a subplot kind of similar to that, but YMMV on whether it's non-lovely. I liked it, but a lot of people bounce right off.

Ah yes! I'm one of the few people I know that really likes that trilogy. Going to have to read it again.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Rahonavis posted:

Ah yes! I'm one of the few people I know that really likes that trilogy. Going to have to read it again.

I love the books too. Shame the tv show is a gigantic dumpster fire

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Rahonavis posted:

Instead I got boring Wizard politics and -and I think this is the kicker- a Harry Potter movie without Harry Potter or any of the characters we know.

The lack of creatures aside I personally enjoyed seeing how the American ministry differs from the ones we've been introduced to in the book. I can understand how other people might have found it boring however.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Baronash posted:

"It worked"

I'd like to see that with wands

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/FantasticBeasts/status/931159964495708160

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 16, 2017

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Did they kick out Johnny Depp after his whole spouse abuse thing or are they sticking with that 5 second cameo for the next 4 films?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Did they kick out Johnny Depp after his whole spouse abuse thing or are they sticking with that 5 second cameo for the next 4 films?

He's the one right at the end

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Is Fogler back? Wouldnt make any sense for him to be but he's a great guy

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

got any sevens posted:

Is Fogler back? Wouldnt make any sense for him to be but he's a great guy

Strictly speaking, it doesn't make sense for Newt to be back, either. He's an academic writing an encyclopedia of magic creatures, but I guess is now fighting wizard Hitler.

Kowalski is back because he's sleeping with Queenie, I guess.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I still remember the Depp reveal on opening night. The entire packed cinema groaned.

I honestly do not want to see any more Depp. Especially in this series.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I feel like Rowling must be biting her tongue every day over Depp being in her movie.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Kowalski was by far the best part of the first movie, I hope they put him in the next. Also can't wait to see Grindelwald transfigured or mutated or whatever out of being Johnny Depp.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Mameluke posted:

Kowalski was by far the best part of the first movie, I hope they put him in the next. Also can't wait to see Grindelwald transfigured or mutated or whatever out of being Johnny Depp.

Why are people unable to look at the picture that clearly shows Kowalski and Depplewald both there

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
In the next movie they'll discover that Kowalski was magically trapped somewhere like Mad-Eye Moody, but then at the end of the film it will turn out he actually Depplewald in disguise a second time.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Hedrigall posted:

Why are people unable to look at the picture that clearly shows Kowalski and Depplewald both there

Because Goons. Don’t go to the TV forum where shows clearly show or spell things out and people still ask stupid rear end questions or assume things already completely contradicted in canon.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JK Rowling posted:

When Johnny Depp was cast as Grindelwald, I thought he’d be wonderful in the role. However, around the time of filming his cameo in the first movie, stories had appeared in the press that deeply concerned me and everyone most closely involved in the franchise.

Harry Potter fans had legitimate questions and concerns about our choice to continue with Johnny Depp in the role. As David Yates, long-time Potter director, has already said, we naturally considered the possibility of recasting. I understand why some have been confused and angry about why that didn’t happen.

The huge, mutually supportive community that has grown up around Harry Potter is one of the greatest joys of my life. For me personally, the inability to speak openly to fans about this issue has been difficult, frustrating and at times painful. However, the agreements that have been put in place to protect the privacy of two people, both of whom have expressed a desire to get on with their lives, must be respected. Based on our understanding of the circumstances, the filmmakers and I are not only comfortable sticking with our original casting, but genuinely happy to have Johnny playing a major character in the movies.

I’ve loved writing the first two screenplays and I can’t wait for fans to see ‘The Crimes of Grindelwald’. I accept that there will be those who are not satisfied with our choice of actor in the title role. However, conscience isn’t governable by committee. Within the fictional world and outside it, we all have to do what we believe to be the right thing.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Probably wouldve been better off hoping his stuff was forgotten by now. Well, still like a year til the next comes out anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

got any sevens posted:

Probably wouldve been better off hoping his stuff was forgotten by now.

Yeah, honestly, this kind of feels like an attempt to torpedo the film - or suicide-bomb it, I suppose, since this reflects poorly on her too.

• Locked thread