Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I went back and looked at the reddit thread for when this movie came out and was surprised at how positive the general reception was. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I found it to be a pretty bad movie overall. The plot was all over the place, the characters were cartoony, it was way too CGI-heavy, and most importantly it just kinda missed the entire reason the Harry Potter movies were good and popular in the first place. It's honestly kind of strange to me how highly it rated on RT as well. I dunno, obviously my opinions aren't absolute and I'm not trying to hate on anyone that enjoyed it, I just haven't felt my own take on a movie be so different from the general public before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

ImpAtom posted:

Beyond "are an adaptation of an existing popular book series" I'm not sure what you mean here. Well, that or Alan Rickman (RIP.)

What I mean is the books and movies were about something more than just "magic and crazy poo poo". Harry and his friends felt like they were discovering this world along with the viewers (obviously it helps they started as kids) and as such the fantastical elements were sort of drip-fed throughout. And they always felt grounded, in a sense, partly because the CGI was (almost) always very tasteful.

Fantastic Beasts just felt very loud and forgettable to me in comparison because there's so much exaggerated wizard poo poo going on all the time and none of it feels meaningful. I didn't feel an attachment to any of the characters in the same way as the cast of the mainline HP films, even in the first movie.

Plus I just find the setting unbearably boring compared to Hogwarts.

• Locked thread