Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Met her in an online dating site in 2007, what started as a fling grew to a true (atleast to me) friendship. She was there when I was in my down phases and made feel just a little bit like an actual person instead of a complete fuckup. Recently (like, today) she revealed she had cold sores off and on as a child.

:stare:

What would YOU do, E/N? I was really looking forward to meeting her again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Is it not possible she had cold sores as a child idgi? You know there's a difference right? Or is that the joke..

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
You do realize that 90% of the population has HSV-1 correct? I think you need to look up the differences between HSV-1 and HSV-2.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Tell her you have aids and that she should get tested for STDs

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Captain Yossarian posted:

Is it not possible she had cold sores as a child idgi? You know there's a difference right? Or is that the joke..

isn't "cold sores" just a more polite way of saying herpes simplex?

I dont mind being wrong (i WANT to be :smith:)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Race Realists posted:

isn't "cold sores" just a more polite way of saying herpes simplex?

I dont mind being wrong (i WANT to be :smith:)

Utnayan posted:

You do realize that 90% of the population has HSV-1 correct? I think you need to look up the differences between HSV-1 and HSV-2.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
It's OK if you genuinely didn't know, that's why I asked :)

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
When did it go up to 90%? Got a source for that?

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Sigma-X posted:

When did it go up to 90%? Got a source for that?

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthlibrary/conditions/adult/infectious_diseases/Oral_Herpes_22,OralHerpes/

"50 percent to 80 percent of U.S. adults have oral herpes."
"about 90 percent of adults have been exposed to the virus by age 50"

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is this a joke thread I don't get? Are you retarded, op?

Bad Roy
Jan 29, 2008

Animals are like humans, always being dicks.

ChairMaster posted:

Is this a joke thread I don't get? Are you retarded, op?

The comments suggest they are, a little, as they don't know the difference between two different forms of herpes.

To break it down, OP, the viruses behind genital herpes and oral herpes are different. If you want to be an 8 year old, yes, you can giggle about the fact your friend has a form of herpes that a huge amount of people do.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
If you've had chickenpox you've got herpes too.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

This thread is what happens when you don't give kids actual Sex Ed.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Tell her they're like getting her period except on her mouth.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Tell her she has herpes.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Thread title makes a lot more sense when you realize that OP doesn't even know what cold sores are.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I wish I knew who the gently caress have me mouth herpes. I was getting cold sores (very infrequently like usual) from a really young age and I'd love to know how that all started.

Op, maybe you should write a detailed letter to your "friend" about it and hand it to her. Watch her read it in front of you so that you can answer any questions afterwards if she has any. She will certainly thank you and have sex with you. Make sure not to kiss her on the mouth though, since I am assuming you don't have cold sores and you will want to remain among the small percentage of people who do not have mouth herp.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Next time you meet her chant "unclean, unclean". If you have a bell you could ring it between "unclean"s

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

rio posted:

I wish I knew who the gently caress have me mouth herpes. I was getting cold sores (very infrequently like usual) from a really young age and I'd love to know how that all started.

Op, maybe you should write a detailed letter to your "friend" about it and hand it to her. Watch her read it in front of you so that you can answer any questions afterwards if she has any. She will certainly thank you and have sex with you. Make sure not to kiss her on the mouth though, since I am assuming you don't have cold sores and you will want to remain among the small percentage of people who do not have mouth herp.

Most likely a very inconsiderate aunt with a mouth aids outbreak kissed you as a baby. It's usually aunts

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

drilldo squirt posted:

Tell her she has herpes.

this was whqat the op was going to do lol

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Berious posted:

Most likely a very inconsiderate aunt with a mouth aids outbreak kissed you as a baby. It's usually aunts

A common way is also by sharing food or drinks with someone who has it active.

Like there's a reason it's very common. It's hilarious OP thinks it's some kind of big deal.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
imo i think it is good that people can go into e/n and get advice on serious stuff like brain issues, disease, dealing with loss, all sorts of serious things. but when a grown rear end man goes in here and is about to walk up to someone and tell them they have herpes, i feel like, the people who have prevented this from happening by giving advice that is, admittedly genuine and helpful and usually good, should step back and think about whether they truly did the right thing in this situation, and keep that in mind when moving forward.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

sorry about the near-triple post, but i just realized that the OP did not only mean to tell her friend that she's got herpes, but was actually suggesting that she's was the victim of child abuse. amazing.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Grandmother of Five posted:

sorry about the near-triple post, but i just realized that the OP did not only mean to tell her friend that she's got herpes, but was actually suggesting that she's was the victim of child abuse. amazing.

I was going to do no such thing.

It was an honest mistake. I openly admit I was wrong (and dumb)

it also doesn't help to type "cold sores" or "Herpes Simplex" into google :gonk:

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Cold sores aren't a big deal at all, and most of the time neither are genital herpes sores (unless you're pregnant). Both of them are an occasional minor inconvenience for most people who experience them. They don't cause complications, they get better not worse over time, and they are self-limiting in a short period of time. Don't kiss anyone with an active sore or let someone with an active sore perform oral sex on you, and you are at extremely low risk of having to deal with this minor inconvenience personally.

Your friend knows she has herpes of the mouth. You don't have to tell her. She just puts that information into its appropriate context and concludes it's not a big deal.

soupbone sal
Oct 29, 2016
Most adults get cold sores seasonally and this thread is childish. Hope this helps.

SaavikSpocksDaddy
Dec 22, 2012
When do HSV-2 occurences start to subside in general & how do you deal with the guilt of knowing you might be potentially giving it to someone even if they said they were fine with it when you disclosed?

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Most people will have five to ten outbreaks in the first year after infection, with the first outbreak having the worst symptoms. Genital HSV-2 recurs more frequently, up to five times per year for the average person. (Genital HSV-1 usually recurs one or fewer times per year.) Outbreaks get milder and less frequent over time. If you're worried about transmission, take a prophylactic antiviral like acyclovir or valacyclovir (VALTREX) and use barrier protection every time you have sex. You're most likely to pass on the virus when you have sores, but you may also be contagious during asymptomatic viral shedding. Antivirals reduce both recurrences and asymptomatic shedding significantly.

As for guilt, do you also worry that you might give people the flu every time you kiss them during flu season? (You're contagious for 3-5 days before you feel sick.) The best way to deal with apprehension about transmission is to take sensible precautions to prevent it, inform your partner of the risk, and then trust them to make their own decisions since they're (I hope) an adult.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Remember that this is just a virus with a visible tell. People pass on face mites all the time and you'll never see one unless you swab a pore and check under a microscope!

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

I think I only have chicken pox herpes, otherwise I am asymptomatic to the other ones.

Maybe she meant Canker Sore? When I was a kid I called those cold sores, and get them every once in awhile if I get sick or real stressed out.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

After reading about it I thought canker sores and cold sores were the same thing but it looks like they aren't. Looks like I don't have the herp after all!

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
haha loving hell, OP is a goddamn retard.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I think op is planning on negging his friend to get laid, also he's a retard

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Bad Roy posted:

The comments suggest they are, a little, as they don't know the difference between two different forms of herpes.

To break it down, OP, the viruses behind genital herpes and oral herpes are different. If you want to be an 8 year old, yes, you can giggle about the fact your friend has a form of herpes that a huge amount of people do.

Just FYI, hsv-1 & hsv-2 aren't limited to being genital or oral exclusively. You can have either strain either place (or other places!)

Still not a big deal, though. And also a pretty large amount of people are positive for it without ever being symptomatic. I'm jealous of those people, cause I still get outbreaks.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Op can you explain your background? You seem incredibly sheltered and I'm wondering why that is. Did you grow up in a religious cult?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Gnossiennes posted:

Just FYI, hsv-1 & hsv-2 aren't limited to being genital or oral exclusively. You can have either strain either place (or other places!)

Still not a big deal, though. And also a pretty large amount of people are positive for it without ever being symptomatic. I'm jealous of those people, cause I still get outbreaks.

I know someone who gets hsv-1 around their eye. They have to stay home to avoid spreading the virus and be mega-careful monitoring if anything is getting *in* their eye because it could potentially blind them if left untreated.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

How does someone pull that off? Get your eye licked? Or is it so contagious that you can touch your mouth and then rub your eyes and then you have eye herp?

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
The latter, it is very contagious.

I dont know if my immune system is poo poo or what but I have outbreaks constantly for almost 2 yrs now, with antivirals, and it sucks severely and has ruined my life. Rip :)

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ANUSTART posted:

The latter, it is very contagious.

I dont know if my immune system is poo poo or what but I have outbreaks constantly for almost 2 yrs now, with antivirals, and it sucks severely and has ruined my life. Rip :)

What's it like being a leper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaavikSpocksDaddy
Dec 22, 2012
do you take l-lysine or eat coconut oil?

• Locked thread