Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine is the second and final expansion of CD Projekt RED's 2015 action RPG, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Geralt of Rivia has been summoned by the Duchess of Toussaint to investigate a series of brutal murders which appear to be the work of some monster. He quickly discovers, of course, that the situation is a whole lot weirder and more complicated than it seems.

ABOUT THE LP

Although I've played the entirety of the three main games and the first W3 expansion, Hearts of Stone, I'm approaching Blood and Wine more or less totally blind. I have a co-commentator, Fletcher, who has been playing W3 but hasn't touched the other games. He's more familiar with the books (I've only read the first one) and I'm more familiar with the games, so between us we know enough about the lore that we generally skim over the basics.

Each video is about an hour long, give or take; a couple of them have spilled over by a few minutes, but only long enough to finish off a quest. They were recorded from the PC version in 1080p, but I recommend setting YouTube to 1440p or 4K (when available) if your computer and bandwidth can handle it; the video quality is quite a bit better.

Please tag all significant spoilers for Witcher 3 or any of its expansions! Blood and Wine is a near-totally standalone story, so I'd like this thread to remain approachable for people who haven't yet played or beaten the rest of the game!

VIDEOS

Tags:
(M) - Video primarily follows the main quest. It may switch off into a sidequest partway through, but I'll try not to pick the main storyline up in the middle of a video.
(S) - Video covers side quests or monster contracts.
(X) - Video covers treasure hunts or other activities with little to no story.

This game contains loads of violence and some nudity, so you should just assume all of these videos are NSFW.

01. (M) The Land of Wine and Murder
02. (S) Wine Tours
03. (S) Return of the Witcher
04. (M) Giving Geralt a Hand
05. (M) The Honourable Ravix of Fourhorn
06. (S) Hatching a Scheme
07. (M) I Rarely Say No to a Snifter
08. (M) My Dinner with Marlene
09. (S) W-Treme W-Men
10. (X) Cat Scratch Fever
11. (M) Shoeshine Shakedown
12. (M) I'll Die If I Want To
13. (M) Plus One
B1. (X) Lootin'
14. (S) Home Improvement
15. (S) Endangerous
16. (S) A Witcher Lying Senselessly on the Heath
17. (M) Choices & Consequences
B2. (X) Our Story So Far

SUMMONING ARC
18A. (M) Philanthropy
19A. (M) Negotiation (alt scenes)
20A. (M) Justice

JAILBREAK ARC
18B. (M) Wolves
19B. (M) Reunion (alt scenes)
20X. (M) Punishment (Bad Ending)
20B. (M) Compassion

21. (S) Virtuoso
22. (S) Tunnel(s) of Love
23. (S) Of Course, of Course

OTHER STUFF

- Drunk Witchstory - Fletcher and a friend discuss some of the broader points of the Witcher 3 lore and mechanics that we skimmed over in the main videos. Some ... other topics come up. (important coda)

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Post reserved. For what? Don't worry about it. Here, have a glass of Butcher of Blaviken and set a spell.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

01. (M) The Land of Wine and Murder

Welcome to Toussaint! Please watch out for falling windmills.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jan 18, 2017

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Samovar posted:

This isn't really not-France, it's more not-Piedmont.

Yeah, wow, OK. It's a bit hard to pinpoint exactly what they were going for - loads of the names are definitely French, the accents in the English dub are kinda all over the place, and I know next to nothing about European geography and architecture, but I think you nailed it.

Xander77 posted:

Audio balance. The game is hella quiet compared to your voices.

I'll see what I can do starting with ep 4, but I can't crank it up too much more without drowning *us* out during the really loud parts, of which there are many.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 20, 2016

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

02. (S) Wine Tours

There's certainly no shortage of dirty work to be found around these parts.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Nov 27, 2016

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

03. (S) Return of the Witcher]

We conclude the wine inheritance squabble before moving on to much more important matters.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Nov 27, 2016

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Orv posted:

Even only undertaking one of the expansions is a hilarious amount of work, LPing the whole game would kill someone.

Good stuff so far aside from the audio problems.

Thanks! I've been working on audio levels and I should have a test video to show after I get off work tonight. (Part 4 might still be a bit funky; I did what I could but I overwrote some files like an idiot.)

Herr Tog posted:

Did yall do a vanilla run of the game?

Nope! I decided to jump straight to B&W because 1) neither of us have played it before, 2) it's a standalone story they might as well have sold separately, and 3) as said above already, it's massive on it's own. Part of why I included the main game and HoS in the spoiler policy was to avoid stepping on anyone's toes should they be brave enough to climb that mountain.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

(this post had a test video that nobody watched and I have since deleted)

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 18, 2017

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

04. (M) Giving Geralt a Hand

I guess we should get around to solving those murders, huh?

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

All I can figure is they meant for the people who found the different items to come together in love and understanding, togetherness with your fellow man, something like that. Either that or they secretly refresh the clues when nobody's looking.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

05. (M) The Honourable Ravix of Fourhorn

:ms:

Ravix first appeared in the short story A Question of Price, by the way. I think it's one of the better ones in the first collection, The Last Wish. I'm not sure which book(s?) Regis is from, though, since I've only read that one.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 28, 2016

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm sure if you tried hard enough, you could concoct something that's technically vodka but will destroy you all the way down.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

06. (S) Hatching a Scheme

Following the events of this video, I'm adjusting my estimate to 60% smitten, 40% stalker.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

I'm really not a fan of that guy. In theory he may have good intentions, but he's putting that poor woman so far up a pedestal that he can't even see her anymore.

I think this is a fair way to describe the situation. Most of the individual things he does aren't really bad on the surface, but there's an undercurrent of "...and then she'll love me!" that really pushes it way over the line. She continues to not love him and he pushes harder and harder, convinced that "maiden ♥ knight" and with no idea that this isn't how it works and that he's dealing with a (mostly) human being, until she has to straight up scream in his face to go away so he'll take the hint. He's definitely not in the right, but his motivations fit right into the muddy grey areas this game loves to splash around in.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

07. (M) I Rarely Say No to a Snifter

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

They were, in fact, as extreme as advertised.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

08. (M) My Dinner with Marlene

The spotted wight's animation is absolutely delightful.

Minor spoilers for Hearts of Stone: It's very strongly implied in these files that the person who cursed Marlene was Master Mirror, the primary antagonist in HoS. This kind of needlessly harsh retribution is right in his wheelhouse too.

Unfortunately, work has been kicking my rear end lately and I've been having trouble keeping up, so I'm gonna slow down updates for a bit. Part 9 will be up Thursday, and 10 next Monday, then we'll see from there. Fletcher has a bonus video in the works, but I'm not sure when that'll be done.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 5, 2016

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Seems to be fine for me.

Like Gerald, this LP lives again after it had an undignified and badly explained death.

That's bizarre; the channel hasn't shown any copyright strikes at all. They didn't even send me an email saying it was terminated! I wonder what happened.

At least it resolved itself. Each video is like a four hour upload.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 5, 2016

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Haha, great. Good job, YT, you've gone and done it again.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

09. (S) W-Treme W-Men

So! My home internet is currently down, and is likely going to continue to be so for the next few days at least, so the next video is unlikely to be ready to go on Monday. We've got a bunch more videos already recorded, so please be patient! I'll get this thing back on the rails in no time.

P.N.T.M. posted:

If I buy Witcher 3 vanilla, can I expect this kind of kickass fantasy or is the B&W expansion exceptional?

All of Witcher 3 is very good! About the only major negative I can level against it is that it's SO sprawling that by the time it started tying things together I was having trouble remembering some of the early events. The main plot and most of the side content are consistently clever and engaging in a way most open world games don't even attempt. It's probably my favorite game of 2015.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 17, 2016

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Back in action! with an episode with no actual plot

10. (X) Cat Scratch Fever

I got a bit grumpy recording this one, which coincidentally matches my mood most of the last couple weeks.

Sorry about the wait! We should be back to 3 videos a week from this point forward. hahaha nope

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 12, 2017

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

You keep misgendering poor Roach. To be fair, her gender is not really stated at a lot of points since Geralt doesn't talk a lot about her. But Roach is distinctively female.

This actually comes up either in this video or the next one, as it's referenced in the quest to set up your vineyard (which we did again at a later date because I forgot to hit record the first time like an idiot). Suffice it to say, I don't really know crap about horses and Roach's sex was mentioned maybe twice in the preceding 180 hours so I forgot.

11. (M) Shoeshine Shakedown

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Dec 19, 2016

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

12. (M) I'll Die If I Want To

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I hosed up part 13 and have to redo it, but in a Christmas miracle, I have a bonus video ready to go up!

B1. (X) Lootin'

This was recorded directly after 13 but it doesn't spoil anything that happens in it -- this is me running around Toussaint, looting whatever containers I can find, trying to fill up the coffers after talky armor man cleaned me out. So if you want to see how I play games when nobody's looking, here you go. We mostly chat about other video games.

You're really hurrying through the main quest. There is so much side stuff you have yet to do.

Don't worry too much about sidequests -- I've been trying to keep the time on main/side stuff roughly even, but even if we finish the main story early I have every intention of going back and doing all the secondary quests available. To the best that either of us could find, there's only one that's totally missable, and that was Vivienne's bird problem, so there's nothing to worry about on that front. And like Fletcher hinted, we've got a big chunk of side content coming up right about here, and there were some really fun quests in there.

Thanks to everyone for watching, and have a great holiday!

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Dec 25, 2016

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

13. (M) Plus One

Oh, Regis, you really shouldn't have.

Rodyle posted:

Still working my way through the videos, but if you weren't aware, there's an odd wrinkle to Bird Quest: like most everyone here, I kept my mouth shut about Vivienne to Mr Nice Guy, and so the quest proceeds in that fashion, but apparently if you DO tell him it goes full fairy tale and he can free her from the curse consequence free, my friend did that.

The differing outcomes for the quests are one of my favorite things about the series -- choices don't necessarily lead to what you expect, and even the explicitly bad endings usually wrap things up in a satisfying way. Hell, Witcher 2 had almost two-thirds of the game take a significantly different course based on your actions. It's kept me from constantly going back to find the "good" endings, instead charging ahead without lingering regrets. For that reason, I'm still not totally decided on if I'm gonna do both major branches after B&W's Big Choice or not.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

14. (S) Home Improvement

"Sometimes, BB, I look back on my life and wonder, why the hell did I throw out all those paintings?"

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I can't believe you would just walk into someone's home and say something so horrible.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

15. (S) Endangerous

We've got a lot of balls in the air right now.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 6, 2017

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

16. (S) A Witcher Lying Senselessly on the Heath

He's a natural.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Wiseblood posted:

The trophy spots are for literal trophies. If you had won the knight tourney you would have gotten one.

...that makes a lot more sense than slapping severed monster heads in your bedroom!

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

We've had a fun time saving sculptors and getting immortalized in art, but it's high time we dealt with this vampire dilemma.

17. (M) Choices & Consequences

And with this, we are now locked on track to finish the main story! Some really cool scenes coming up, so stay tuned!

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 18, 2017

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Technically, I guess, in the sense that I never really found any I liked that much so I totally forgot they existed. I dunno, are no-decoction runs a thing?

(I got really sick over the weekend. Update's coming in the next couple days.)

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Here we go.

B2. (X) Our Story So Far

First off, with the Big Choice looming, we gave a shot at doing a recap of the story up to the end of part 17! Is it any good? I dunno! But here it is if you want a refresher!

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

But, more importantly, it's time to MAKE A CHOICE. Is it time to take a stand against Detlaff, who's launched his terrible attack? Or do we do as he demanded, break Syanna out of prison and try one last time to resolve things peacefully? That choice is now yours.

The Summoning Arc covers our attempts to track down the Unseen Elder and convince him to make Detlaff show himself. The Jailbreak Arc covers our attempts to track down Syanna and find out how to sneak her out of her bizarre imprisonment. I've tried my best to keep them distinct (despite having seen one first, naturally) so that you can choose either without getting lost. Feel free to pick one, or watch both, or whatever you like. Enjoy!

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Hi! I changed my username, but I'm still here, posting Witcher videos:

I was poking around the game to get set up to record the endings, and decided to go down some of the alternate dialogue paths and do a bit more sightseeing in the Fablesphere, so here's the first and probably last ever extra content!

This also seems like a good point to remind everyone that, although there hasn't been a ton in B&W, this game does have some NSFW scenes.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Rodyle posted:

Real disappointed we couldn't get your raw reactions to the 19A stuff and that you didn't find the bonfire until cleanup.

Also I turned her down so I had no idea that poo poo was Zero G, that's weird

I do apologize for that -- I honestly don't know what happened except that it was 100% my fault. I've since made extra drat sure my mic audio is saved every time.

And yeah, that scene was ... not what I expected, let's say.

Polsy posted:

Sorry you've had to go through life without hearing the phrase 'popped his/her clogs', I guess it's pretty British.

I think I may have heard it in a TV show or two, but certainly nobody's ever said it in front of me in real life.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Who wants some bestiary entries???

Wicked Witch

Pixies

Longlocks

Three Little Pigs

Big Bad Wolf

Cloud Giant

I think that's everything from the Land of a Thousand Fables, but if anyone wants to see any other glossary entries from the expansion, let me know and I'll grab 'em. One last one:

God drat Panthers

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 4, 2017

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

And with that, the main story of Blood and Wine comes to a close! It's been a bit brutal keeping up with it, but it was loads of fun and I learned a ton in the process. I hope you all enjoyed it. We've still got plenty of quests to go, so stick around!

Fun fact: The total time of all the videos to this point (excluding B2, which had no game footage) is about 22 hours and 53 minutes, which is more than three times longer than the longest thing I've ever put on the internet before.

Also, in the near future (probably the 22nd), we're going to be launching a Resident Evil 7 thread. That game's been a blast, so please look forward to that as well! I'll try to get the next couple sidequest videos in before that, though this ending rush has totally nuked my backlog so I can't promise too much right at this moment.

Enjoy the endings, and we'll be back with more before you know it!

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

END ME SCOOB posted:

My recording partner is a tasteful man who will not plug our work. I have no such qualms

I didn't want to bump this thread again until we finally had a video to show, or if I had to close it temporarily. On that note...

21. (S) Virtuoso

Suffice it to say this game REALLY doesn't want me to finish recording it. Sorry about the wait!

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Good news: we finished recording the game last night! I don't have anything new to show yet, but all the audio is processing* and we should be ready to put poor Geralt to bed over the next few weeks!

*and I didn't lose any files this time

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 22, 2017

• Locked thread