Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

But only torrents lead to charges

:colbert:

nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Xtra Innings Lovin posted:

gently caress!!!! The Something Awful Dot Com Forums are closing? I just bought this loving account! :argh:

You mean maddox.com?

Batcat! Batcat!
Dec 21, 2009

Mega64 posted:

As if it weren't hard enough to get invites.

What.CD essentially had open sign ups, you just had to go through an interview and answer some questions about the rules and audio formats.

It was an amazing place. Could find virtually any music there, correctly tagged and at the quality you wanted. Was great for discovering music (new and old) or obsessing over every single release of a given artist and faffing about whether the UK or US pressing was the best.

RIP

open container
Sep 16, 2008

Batcat! Batcat! posted:

It was an amazing place. Could find virtually any music there, correctly tagged and at the quality you wanted. Was great for discovering music (new and old) or obsessing over every single release of a given artist and faffing about whether the UK or US pressing was the best.

Why are you telling me now rear end in a top hat?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
rest in piss

Batcat! Batcat!
Dec 21, 2009

open container posted:

Why are you telling me now rear end in a top hat?

I suppose I was just born this way.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
this fuckin blows, i'm never gonna be able to keep up to date on bonnie 'prince' billy's releases now

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
wow lame. super lame. i came over from OPP, now w.cd is gone. LAME

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I had an account that I hadn't logged into in probably five years because it's been irrelevant for a long time now.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Was what.cd related at all to oink.me.uk? I can't remember how/when I transitioned from one to the other.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

Why use torrents in the age of streaming

with subsonic or plex you can run your own streaming service for yourself and your friends for free w/ no commercials and higher bitrates

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

wa27 posted:

Was what.cd related at all to oink.me.uk? I can't remember how/when I transitioned from one to the other.

related in the sense that what.cd is related to whatever site will spring up in a week to replace it

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

wa27 posted:

what.cd and waffles.fm both sprung up from oink. But it looks like waffles.fm died a while ago.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
i got into what.cd/waffles.fm by hanging out in irc when my 1 month old oink account became useless (site got raided lol)

be patient

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

AEMINAL posted:

i got into what.cd/waffles.fm by hanging out in irc when my 1 month old oink account became useless (site got raided lol)

be patient

How does a website get raided like when the feds are coming in just throw a glass of water on your computer and laugh in their pig faces

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

criscodisco posted:

How does a website get raided like when the feds are coming in just throw a glass of water on your computer and laugh in their pig faces

they were like "freeze!" and pointed there guns at the servers before the servers could run away

HumanDecency
Oct 5, 2015
I use Spotify, Op. You should see my freaking awesome playlists.

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

emoji posted:

I had an account that I hadn't logged into in probably five years because it's been irrelevant for a long time now.

Lol not really man. Lots of stuff on wcd you can't find on Spotify or w.e streaming service ppl use these days. Also the best place to find new music and definitely the most well organized.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
This bums me out, mostly because when the next version of these things spring up, I'm never "in the know" enough to find out about it. I basically stumbled upon wh.cd by mistake. So now I'm basically out of the scene for the rest of my life.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They're just making it more exclusive. All the "cool" members have already gotten invites to the new site.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

Vegetable posted:

They're just making it more exclusive. All the "cool" members have already gotten invites to the new site.

How were they contacted? By email?

no country for old men 2
Jun 10, 2010
Still mourning oink.

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

RIP the best site on the internet

dolphinsex.org has been gone for a while dude

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

g0t_hats posted:

Lol not really man. Lots of stuff on wcd you can't find on Spotify or w.e streaming service ppl use these days. Also the best place to find new music and definitely the most well organized.

Once I became older than 16 I realized I didn't actually require FLACs to enjoy music. And I already have so much I just rely on other people telling me about new music (a lot of which isn't actually new) these days.

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

emoji posted:

Once I became older than 16 I realized I didn't actually require FLACs to enjoy music. And I already have so much I just rely on other people telling me about new music (a lot of which isn't actually new) these days.

I downloaded 1.5TBs of music from WCD and I don't think I ever downloaded anything in FLAC besides some Grateful Dead concerts that were only available in FLAC. I found that the collages they had were an excellent way to find new music.

g0t_hats fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 19, 2016

Batcat! Batcat!
Dec 21, 2009

Collages were an awesome way to discover music. Also frequently went trawling through snatch lists of users that liked a band I liked and found lots of stuff that way too. Curating your own collages was also so fun.

Anyone who thinks what.cd was irrelevant didn't know what it was. Yeah if you want to download the latest kanye you don't need something like what.cd, but if you want to trawl through every single thing some obscure band you like released, or if you want decent vinyl rips or just specific pressings, there is nothing that compared.

Spotify is nowhere near. If you just casually want to listen to some music then you've never needed what.cd and wouldn't have bothered to join.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
waffles will rise again

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
Gotta love all these streaming advocates who are way too smug about their inferior method of finding music

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

Junk posted:

Gotta love all these streaming advocates who are way too smug about their inferior method of finding music

Yeah I dont really understand that.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
WDMA is still the best and lol if you lost it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Someone said what.cd was the Library of Alexandria music. The whole thing being divorced from the licensing end of things meant the music came first which owned.

Wonder what the next one is going to be called.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
just record the songs off the radio onto cassette

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

emoji posted:

WDMA is still the best and lol if you lost it.

Do you know where da movies at dog?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9BhQOTYTIc

Dicky mouse fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 20, 2016

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

poverty goat posted:

with subsonic or plex you can run your own streaming service for yourself and your friends for free w/ no commercials and higher bitrates

Who the gently caress does this

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I had a great time downloading random poo poo. Pretty much anything as long as it wasn't in a genre I absolutely hated. Another fun game was to pick a random country and a random genre of music or a random instrument and see what the search turned up. Bossa Nova from France? Sure. Japanese harp music? Awesome. Indie rock from Sweden? Go. Whatever the gently caress you wanted and they probably had it.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Batcat! Batcat! posted:

Spotify is nowhere near. If you just casually want to listen to some music then you've never needed what.cd and wouldn't have bothered to join.

Git gud @ music

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

I'm the DarkNet

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Batcat! Batcat! posted:

If you just casually want to listen to some music then you've never needed what.cd and wouldn't have bothered to join.
good

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The game tracker I used recently got shut down too. I am now sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Batcat! Batcat! posted:

fuckin casuals, right?

lol if you care about music or movies in any way that is more than casual enjoyment

• Locked thread