Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Tuxedo Gin posted:

fuckin casuals, right?

lol if you care about music or movies in any way that is more than casual enjoyment

haha yeah what a bunch of try hards... actually LIKING things :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

is whatcd that one where there was a wiki on how to pass their spergy interview before u could donwload anything

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i never got an invite so tbqh i am glad its dead

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Why even bother with .mp3 and .flac when you have clearly better legal options like .mid, .mod, .nsf etc

http://cookwithkevin.com/midi/index.html

http://chiptune.com

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
i use google play music and upload all my weird vaporwave to their servers and then stream it on my phone (upload 50000 songs for free)

they just updated their contextual music recommendation engine and it's better than ever

Club Sandwich
May 25, 2012
It would be amazing if someone had the what.cd data and could somehow replicate the cool "galaxies" of connections that it would generate on each artist's page. Those were sometimes freakishly accurate, like when I looked up my ex girlfriends very underground band and saw it was connected to her brother and parents' equally obscure bands. I'm really sad it's gone.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Club Sandwich posted:

It would be amazing if someone had the what.cd data and could somehow replicate the cool "galaxies" of connections that it would generate on each artist's page. Those were sometimes freakishly accurate, like when I looked up my ex girlfriends very underground band and saw it was connected to her brother and parents' equally obscure bands. I'm really sad it's gone.

I think that was an external service anyway rather than something inbuilt.

WhatCD was good enough that I would still visit it daily even if it didn't have the torrent side of things. I found so much stuff through there and grew my appreciation outside of my wheelhouse over the last 9 years. I honestly don't know where to go now to keep up with new releases as easily as I could there.

The hilarious part is, the forces that are behind its closure will presume it's some massive victory when the reality is the mainstream albums they're trying so hard to protect are just as easily found elsewhere online, and that stuff wasn't the reason any regular visitor had an account.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think that was an external service anyway rather than something inbuilt.

WhatCD was good enough that I would still visit it daily even if it didn't have the torrent side of things. I found so much stuff through there and grew my appreciation outside of my wheelhouse over the last 9 years. I honestly don't know where to go now to keep up with new releases as easily as I could there.

The hilarious part is, the forces that are behind its closure will presume it's some massive victory when the reality is the mainstream albums they're trying so hard to protect are just as easily found elsewhere online, and that stuff wasn't the reason any regular visitor had an account.

But where will i get soundboard rips of every phish live show in 40 qualities?

Seriously i love how they'd play a set and no less than 3 different quality rips would be in the daily top ten.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There really should have been a benefit to moving up the ranks to remove Phish from Top X listings, I love how the majority of people trading those were doing it just for ratio. That page was my main spot, if I'd been away for a week I'd always hit up the Top 250 and look up everything in genres that appealed to see what I missed.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

LuisN posted:

what did they mean by "thanks for all the fish"?

Hahahahahahahaha... Holy poo poo!

Look! A Horse!
Feb 10, 2010
used it for 6 months, hit my download limit, couldn't find anything to upload that wasn't already on it, never used again. i had like 4 invites too, shoulda cashed those suckers in on some shady russian website

Look! A Horse!
Feb 10, 2010
the collages were really dope tho. RIP.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Look! A Horse! posted:

the collages were really dope tho. RIP.

Absolutely. Genre introductions and silly themes were the best. I really hope they can rescue this non-illegal data somehow.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Look! A Horse! posted:

used it for 6 months, hit my download limit, couldn't find anything to upload that wasn't already on it, never used again. i had like 4 invites too, shoulda cashed those suckers in on some shady russian website

My dog I never uploaded anything at all and had a 2.5+ ratio. Seed it till the heat death of the universe. The easiest and laziest way to get a good ratio.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

AEMINAL posted:

i use google play music
they just updated their contextual music recommendation engine and it's poo poo as always

Even npr's loving music show is better for discovering music, and it's not good.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
i remember using irc bots to download music. is that still a thing?

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

[I'M A GIANT HOMOPHOBE
Here is a thing I had in my bookmarks

http://gizmodo.com/download-utopia-a-17-year-old-file-sharing-program-is-1769008601

Says it's good for obscure stuff but I never tried it so I don't know.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
waffles.fm is coming back

glad i still have an account

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
hmm

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

yo hit me up with an invite if possible. izzyfnstradlin at yahoo. i can pay.

I knew I recognized your lovely posting. how you gonna be two of the worst posters on the site smfh

e: yea I got your rear end you ain't a ninja

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
I was banned for inactivity ages ago because I don't pirate music anymore, rip

Batcat! Batcat!
Dec 21, 2009

Tuxedo Gin posted:

fuckin casuals, right?

lol if you care about music or movies in any way that is more than casual enjoyment

I'm just not cool enough to not really like anything.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

KakerMix posted:

My dog I never uploaded anything at all and had a 2.5+ ratio. Seed it till the heat death of the universe. The easiest and laziest way to get a good ratio.

Yeah, just wait until a freeleach and grab everything that remotely interests you and wait. Never had any ratio worries there and had something like a 1tb buffer.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

r u ready to WALK posted:

Why even bother with .mp3 and .flac when you have clearly better legal options like .mid, .mod, .nsf etc

http://cookwithkevin.com/midi/index.html

http://chiptune.com

jesus fuckin christ that cookwithkevin site looks like it was made by the templeOS guy

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
i remember me0w

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
haha fuckin nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Denim Dude posted:

Here is a thing I had in my bookmarks

http://gizmodo.com/download-utopia-a-17-year-old-file-sharing-program-is-1769008601

Says it's good for obscure stuff but I never tried it so I don't know.

Soulseek is interesting. I first used it around 2006 and it seemed ancient then. I downloaded a ton of Devo bootlegs that haven't been online anywhere else before or since then. Unfortunately lots of them were 56kbps. I've since got upgrades to most of those live shows from private collectors and whatnot, but I still have a few folders on my hard drive with those lovely 56kbps files that I could never find elsewhere. I'm glad to hear it's still going.

• Locked thread