Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

great another ivory tower liberal talking about something that concerns .00001% of the population.

guess what, the vast majority of people don't give two shits about art when they cant afford to feed themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
jeff koons is a great example of the evil of un-ideology

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Lactose Is Wack posted:

great another ivory tower liberal talking about something that concerns .00001% of the population.

guess what, the vast majority of people don't give two shits about art when they cant afford to feed themselves

That's what half of folk culture is all about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uKbIkYGsIg

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That's what half of folk culture is all about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uKbIkYGsIg

it's why you lose elections

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Lactose Is Wack posted:

it's why you lose elections

It's why everybody loses elections.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

as an artist i can confirm that art is a left wing hobby

actually everything that is not poo poo shoveling or stock trading is a left wing hobby

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

exmarx posted:

he's basically the death of art. gently caress that guy so much.

the baffler publishes a lot of really good works: http://thebaffler.com/art

i think there is something to be said for the rise of poptimism and it's crowding out of all other kinds of art, at least in the larger public sphere. movies + music in popular culture don't really tackle difficult subjects anymore. this is really obvious in country music.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

exmarx posted:

i feel the same way about the architect frank gehry although i think his soulless red vine twist corporate towers

are far more tasteful and effective as buildings than his gadawful museums

tho his style isn't really appropriate for trump-level fascy-waschy..... too like arcane and immediately ugly??? i imagine the gleaming glass boxes of the mid and late-century international style are more his speed, based on what trump has chosen for himself

his base however, doesn't live among those kinds of buildings, i think you'd build those buildings for the city folk who need to be reminded who walks in the street and who drifts from roof to roof in black mirrored cars. im gonna think about what aesthetic trump's america has planned for the deplorables

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

frankly i think there's too much hay made about the dangers of evangelicals but i think megachurches might be able to give us a hint about the aesthetics of trump's base and what will drive America's Taste in the future

part cathedral, part stadium, part poem 2 capitalism, these guys are assembled extravagantly on vast plains and fallow farms

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Al! posted:

frankly i think there's too much hay made about the dangers of evangelicals but i think megachurches might be able to give us a hint about the aesthetics of trump's base and what will drive America's Taste in the future

part cathedral, part stadium, part poem 2 capitalism, these guys are assembled extravagantly on vast plains and fallow farms

not enough gold

also the hot takes on Koons itt make me fart

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the hottest take i have on koons is that he's made millions as a flatterer, his works post uhh lets be generous 1990 dont have much to say about anything and are designed to give cheap thrills to a specific class of narcissistic millionaire or billionaire, or impress an entire strata of the same enough to reinvest in his work (im thinking of the macy's thanks giving day balloon he made, which is a parade route that is designed to pass the windows of the extremely wealthy new york elite)

Pictured: rabbit, jeff koons 2007. im not sure (it has been a while) but that might be the dakota, outside of where john lennon was murdered

the more i think about it hes kind of perfect for trumps america, maybe he'll get some big fancy title

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Al! posted:

the more i think about it hes kind of perfect for trumps america, maybe he'll get some big fancy title

yeah, that's why I like him. someone has to catalogue the super-shallow, don't care if he has a critical position to it or not

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

someone has to make bad art and sell it for millions, duh

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the obscene little waggle is what takes this into high art, thank you for it

Al! posted:

tho his style isn't really appropriate for trump-level fascy-waschy..... too like arcane and immediately ugly??? i imagine the gleaming glass boxes of the mid and late-century international style are more his speed, based on what trump has chosen for himself

his base however, doesn't live among those kinds of buildings, i think you'd build those buildings for the city folk who need to be reminded who walks in the street and who drifts from roof to roof in black mirrored cars. im gonna think about what aesthetic trump's america has planned for the deplorables

Seems pretty self-evident to me

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 19:53 on Nov 19, 2016

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I hope snobs grow some balls and start differentiating between low and high culture again.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Karl Barks posted:

someone has to make bad art and sell it for millions, duh

Marina Abramovic's brand is the real winner of 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Lawman 0 posted:

I hope snobs grow some balls and start differentiating between low and high culture again.
This will be illegal under Trump.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This will be illegal under Trump.

All will wear the hat. :(

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Seems pretty self-evident to me

im looking forward to the end of building codes, forever

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

sometime around 11:30 on election night I turned to my wife, who was in tears, and said something very much like this, lol

the one silver lining to losing is that the left does really cool poo poo when we're the opposition

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y_8DWg5W0w

i agree with this dideo

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

lmao ^^^^

richard prince is the only artist who has successfully hosed with the art world in a way that's actually thought provoking imo

http://www.richardprince.com/exhibitions/new-portraits/

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

yeah selling other people's instagram shots, and cashing in, is really loving with the art world

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Karl Barks posted:

lmao ^^^^

richard prince is the only artist who has successfully hosed with the art world in a way that's actually thought provoking imo

http://www.richardprince.com/exhibitions/new-portraits/

there's are other artists who i think are less controversial but none the less put forward very good institutional critiques (tho its easy to fall into the rabbit hole of making art about making art)

but i think i agree that of the ones who are capable of stirring up popular controversy, he's the best (and least amount of a shithead)

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Al! posted:

there's are other artists who i think are less controversial but none the less put forward very good institutional critiques (tho its easy to fall into the rabbit hole of making art about making art)

but i think i agree that of the ones who are capable of stirring up popular controversy, he's the best (and least amount of a shithead)

yeah i shouldn't have said only, he's just probably the most visible.

I also really like john lurie, and I think it's going to be interesting to see what he does in the next 4 years because he definitely has a political edge to him (or at least his twitter account does).

http://johnlurieart.com/

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

mike12345 posted:

yeah selling other people's instagram shots, and cashing in, is really loving with the art world

glad u agree

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Marina Abramovic's brand is the real winner of 2016

I've been told The Artist is Present is worth a watch, if you're not familiar with her work/style of working. I've only gotten a glimpse of her work through a couple of exhibitions, but liked what I saw.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

the artist is preset got so much attention because her old partner showed up, which she didn't even plan! maybe that's art? i have really mixed feelings on abramovic. sometimes I think her art is the performance art equivalent of the confessional essay, which are largely garbage imo

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Karl Barks posted:

the artist is preset got so much attention because her old partner showed up, which she didn't even plan! maybe that's art? i have really mixed feelings on abramovic. sometimes I think her art is the performance art equivalent of the confessional essay, which are largely garbage imo

oh so is the conflict with her partner a part of the movie, or did that happen afterwards? the lawsuit over the joint works I mean. yeah I get confessional essay, and sometimes it seems like a practical joke, but still there's lots of poetry present. I don't know, there was this performance after the balkan wars in the 90s, where she sat on a pile of bones and cleaned them for days. In some ways you could argue it's flat, but the manic execution of the performance overpowered any doubts you could have about it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mirthless posted:

sometime around 11:30 on election night I turned to my wife, who was in tears, and said something very much like this, lol

I would have divorced you

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

the bush years gave us arrested development

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Al! posted:

i feel the same way about the architect frank gehry although i think his soulless red vine twist corporate towers

are far more tasteful and effective as buildings than his gadawful museums

A firm rule must be imposed upon our nation before it destroys itself. The United States needs some theology and geometry, some taste and decency. I suspect that we are teetering on the edge of the abyss.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Man Musk posted:

the bush years gave us arrested development

arrested development is okay

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
Art wise, I'm not really sure what will happen, but I have three prediction on music and general style:

1) Shoulder pads will come back, as women, feeling somewhat more fragile about their place in the workplace, decide to try to make themselves look more aggressive and masculine.

2) The new trend in home re-decorating -- late 60's and 70's style! Browns mixed with more browns mixed with more browns! With a burnt sienna couch for the heck of it!

3) Mainstream rock music will get darker and denser. Fewer whiny boys singing what are basically remakes of "Hey, There Delilah," more grunge/electronic/industrial influences. It will still continue to decline in relevance.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

blackmet posted:

Art wise, I'm not really sure what will happen, but I have three prediction on music and general style:

1) Shoulder pads will come back, as women, feeling somewhat more fragile about their place in the workplace, decide to try to make themselves look more aggressive and masculine.

2) The new trend in home re-decorating -- late 60's and 70's style! Browns mixed with more browns mixed with more browns! With a burnt sienna couch for the heck of it!

3) Mainstream rock music will get darker and denser. Fewer whiny boys singing what are basically remakes of "Hey, There Delilah," more grunge/electronic/industrial influences. It will still continue to decline in relevance.

I like what I'm hearing so far

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

this one creeps me out the most

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Al! posted:

this is a trash building in person tbh

also megachurches are a sign of the apocalypse and the death of america

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

this one is creepy too but its a little too dystopian rpg to take seriously

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
donald trump: art criminal

quote:

To build his skyscraper, Trump first had to knock down the Bonwit Teller building, a luxurious limestone building erected in 1929. The face of the building featured two huge Art Deco friezes that the Metropolitan Museum of Art wanted to preserve. The museum asked Trump to save the sculptures and donate them, and the mogul agreed—as long as the cost of doing so wasn't too high.

But then, according to journalist Harry Hurt III in his book Lost Tycoon, Trump discovered that taking out the sculptures would delay demolition by two weeks. He wasn't willing to wait. "On his orders, the demolition workers cut up the grillwork with acetylene torches," Hurt wrote. "Then they jackhammered the friezes, dislodged them with crowbars, and pushed the remains inside the building, where they fell to the floor and shattered in a million pieces."
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/07/trump-files-when-donald-destroyed-priceless-art-build-trump-tower

Karl Barks posted:

he's basically the death of art. gently caress that guy so much.

the baffler publishes a lot of really good works: http://thebaffler.com/art

i think there is something to be said for the rise of poptimism and it's crowding out of all other kinds of art, at least in the larger public sphere. movies + music in popular culture don't really tackle difficult subjects anymore. this is really obvious in country music.

baffler editor amber a'lee frost had a great piece on the culturelessness of the new aristocracy: https://www.currentaffairs.org/2016/03/the-declining-taste-of-the-global-super-rich

btw drat i love this :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

exmarx posted:

baffler editor amber a'lee frost had a great piece on the culturelessness of the new aristocracy: https://www.currentaffairs.org/2016/03/the-declining-taste-of-the-global-super-rich

I agree with that, but what I don't understand is why Koons art can't be appreciated as a memento of that superficiality and decadence. What options do you have, if you want to portray a lack of self-awareness and a readiness to sell out. Except lacking self-awareness and selling out. But whatevs, I'll put some whipped cream on my head, and get breakfast.

• Locked thread