Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

mike12345 posted:

I agree with that, but what I don't understand is why Koons art can't be appreciated as a memento of that superficiality and decadence. What options do you have, if you want to portray a lack of self-awareness and a readiness to sell out. Except lacking self-awareness and selling out. But whatevs, I'll put some whipped cream on my head, and get breakfast.

it will be, in the same way the gates at auschwitz are 'appreciated' as a memento of the holocaust :v:

koons reflects his surroundings sure, but he makes no comment on them — i don't think you can really be a good artist if you refuse to say anything. he's also a piece of poo poo, lol:

http://artfcity.com/2016/07/18/jeff-koons-lays-off-workers-amidst-reports-of-impropriety/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

probalby the worst thing about hamilton is that they clearly have no sense of rudeness.

I could forgive everything else if they knew how to be rude

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

not that hamilton is art, but then again neither is jeff koons...

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The value of Jeff Koons's art is that it will show the masses not to dread the guillotine.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

i can dream, cant i?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Basquiat / Warhol

Warsquiat

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Art during the Obama years has been pretty good.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

We're riding this wave of conspiracy theories into the White House so this will be the only Art.

Next special guest: The cook for Podesta's Spirit Cooking dinner.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

I'd watch that drive

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
Sucks that we aren't even going to get something cool like futurist art despite getting a Mussolini.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

you can find some kinda analogs to futurism if you look i think, but i dont know much about it

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Yeah, its imitations are quite popular with the crowd that thinks Elon Musk is going to save the world and they will probably eventually hitch their wagon to neo-fascism so perhaps history will truly repeat itself.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

right right i dont just mean imitators, like, i mean people who vibe with that whole (kinda creepy) philosophy but make aesthetically different stuff i guess

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Hope you're ready for lots of lovely 'protest' music.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Green Day got this

https://mobile.twitter.com/PopCravePolls/status/800560933735112708?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/adequateGF/status/716302808920825856

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

blackmet posted:

1) Shoulder pads will come back, as women, feeling somewhat more fragile about their place in the workplace, decide to try to make themselves look more aggressive and masculine.

Nah. Women over 40 will get reactionary and start coding hyperfeminine and taking cues from stepford wives to make themselves Maximally Pleasing to men in the office in a renewed culture of basically abusing women in the workplace. Women under 30 will start low-dosing androgens for basically the opposite reason.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

exmarx posted:

it will be, in the same way the gates at auschwitz are 'appreciated' as a memento of the holocaust :v:

koons reflects his surroundings sure, but he makes no comment on them — i don't think you can really be a good artist if you refuse to say anything. he's also a piece of poo poo, lol:

http://artfcity.com/2016/07/18/jeff-koons-lays-off-workers-amidst-reports-of-impropriety/

yeah, "gates at auschwitz" is a bit harsh, but a modern day riefenstahl or speer is probably what I'm getting at. his boat in that article makes me go puke and lol at the same time.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhNVsbv7o40

Don't listen to this if you don't want to decend into a suicidal/psychotic rage

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
does food count as art because i can see trump eating this

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I always return to this great quote by documentarian Leo Hurwitz, referencing life as a radical in the 30s although it feels universal:

"In general there was a guerrilla war between the world of art and intellect and the world of politics and business, with the guerrillas winning the war on the battlefields of books, painting, and music, and the establishment so impervious that it did not know it was being attacked."

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

hmmmm

https://twitter.com/RichardPrince4/status/800818182529368068

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

gone, what did it say?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
it was a lawsuit filing

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Totally okay with this. I mean, would we prefer that our pop music artists not call the man a fascist? Does more to reach people's ears than any "high culture" poo poo ever will.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Sucks that we aren't even going to get something cool like futurist art despite getting a Mussolini.

this one is new to me and i like it but i have no idea regarding the context or anything else...it's very WW1 tho and u seem to be implying that it's Italian, so i get the impression that it has something to do with the conflict between Italy and Ethiopia around that time?

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

the futurists were nuts and its not an exaggeration to say they anticipated fascism:

from the manifesto

9. We will glorify war—the world’s only hygiene—militarism, patriotism, the destructive gesture of freedom-bringers, beautiful ideas worth dying for, and scorn for woman.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

that particular dude is Tullio Crali who was way interested in making aerial warfare seem really cool, so its not like he doesn't have tons and tons of successors in our world today

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

nose dive on teh city

yayy heroic manly aerowar

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Walter Benjamin excerpts the best part of Marinetti's manifesto:

Filippo Crazypants Marinetti posted:

For twenty-seven years, we Futurists have rebelled against the idea that war is anti-aesthetic...We therefore state:...War is beautiful because--thanks to its gas masks, its terrifying megaphones, its flame throwers, and light tanks--it establishes man's dominion over the subjugated machine. War is beautiful because it inaugurated the dreamed-of metallization of the human body. War is beautiful because it enriches a flowering meadow with the fiery orchids of machine-guns. War is beautiful because it combines gunfire, barrages, cease-fires, scents, and the fragrance of putrefaction into a symphony. War is beautiful because it creates new architectures, like those of armored tanks, geometric squadrons of aircraft, spirals of smoke from burning villages, and much more....Poets and artists of Futurism...remember these principles of an aesthetic of war, that they may illuminate...your struggles for a new poetry and a new sculpture!

It's worth pasting the final paragraph of Benjamin's article where he delivers that Marinetti quote:

Walter AURA Benjamin posted:

"Fiat ars--pereat mundus," says fascism, expecting from war, as Marinetti admits, the artistic gratification of a sennse of perception altered by technology. This is evidently the consummation of l'art pour l'art. Humankind, which once, in Homer, was an object of contemplation for the Olympian gods, has now become one for itself. Its self-alienation has reached the point where it can experience its own annihilation as a supreme aesthetic pleasure. Such is the aestheticizing of politics, as practiced by fascism. Communism replies by politicizing art.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
the dems already did a 'rock against bush' type thing — prior to the election, even!
http://www.30days30songs.com/

and yeah the futurists were fuckin nuts, and mega-dorks. here's the manifesto they put on the front page of le figaro

http://www.english.upenn.edu/~jenglish/English104/marinetti.html
like a 1900s version of one of those dark enlightenment guys' self-important vlogs.

some nice stuff tho:

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Yeah, the Marinetti quote Benjamin pulls is like edgelord prose written with a Tyler Durden poster on the wall beside you while your mom yells at you to come to dinner. "Mega-dorks" is really accurate.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

and lol yea the futurists were such nerds

quote:

We stand on the last promontory of the centuries!… Why should we look back, when what we want is to break down the mysterious doors of the Impossible? Time and Space died yesterday. We already live in the absolute, because we have created eternal, omnipresent speed.
We will glorify war—the world’s only hygiene—militarism, patriotism, the destructive gesture of freedom-bringers, beautiful ideas worth dying for, and scorn for woman.
We will destroy the museums, libraries, academies of every kind, will fight moralism, feminism, every opportunistic or utilitarian cowardice.
We will sing of great crowds excited by work, by pleasure, and by riot; we will sing of the multicolored, polyphonic tides of revolution in the modern capitals; we will sing of the vibrant nightly fervor of arsenals and shipyards blazing with violent electric moons; greedy railway stations that devour smoke-plumed serpents; factories hung on clouds by the crooked lines of their smoke; bridges that stride the rivers like giant gymnasts, flashing in the sun with a glitter of knives; adventurous steamers that sniff the horizon; deep-chested locomotives whose wheels paw the tracks like the hooves of enormous steel horses bridled by tubing; and the sleek flight of planes whose propellers chatter in the wind like banners and seem to cheer like an enthusiastic crowd.

Olga Gurlukovich has issued a correction as of 10:38 on Nov 23, 2016

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

and yeah benjamin owns

" Its self-alienation has reached the point where it can experience its own annihilation as a supreme aesthetic "

how long until this is like the dominant theme in basically all culture

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

lol. the aesthetic of fascism back then were all these paintings and the aesthetic of fascism today is loving pepe. god loving drat.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Fidel Castronaut posted:

lol. the aesthetic of fascism back then were all these paintings and the aesthetic of fascism today is loving pepe. god loving drat.

i feel like pepe was this dressup doll

want to make a class statement? put a fast food uniform on him and a gun in his hand. want to be white supremacist? dress him in hugo boss. like some inversion of the classic nazi "put swastikas on everything" aesthetic. put everything on the swastika instead. hang christmas lights off it

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
The aesthetic now is the cheapest red hat money can buy with the cheapest white text money can buy sold for a 1000% markup.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

pfft I posted a slightly abridged futurist manifesto in the trump toxx thread back in may
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776208&userid=138771#post460363546

quote:

11. We will sing of great crowds excited by work, by pleasure, and by riot; we will sing of the multicolored, polyphonic tides of revolution in the modern capitals; we will sing of the vibrant nightly fervor of arsenals and think tanks blazing with violent electric moons; greedy incubators that devour smoke-plumed stoners; factories hung on clouds by the crooked lines of their smoke; bridges that stride the rivers like giant gymnasts, flashing in the sun with a glitter of knives; adventurous airships that sniff the horizon; privatized steel rockets who penetrate the deep of space; and the sleek flight of Trump planes whose engines murmur in the wind like hipsters and seem to cheer like an enthusiastic crowd.

also I'm lazy so I just changed the last two lines

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Fascists today commission plenty of paintings. But they're all of Trump as the WH40k God Emperor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I am dead serious. If you want to understand the aesthetic and social sensibilities of the 21st century fascist, read the lore for the Imperium of Man in WH40K. Those dorks can't get enough of it.

• Locked thread