Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I am dead serious. If you want to understand the aesthetic and social sensibilities of the 21st century fascist, read the lore for the Imperium of Man in WH40K. Those dorks can't get enough of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Fidel Castronaut posted:

lol. the aesthetic of fascism back then were all these paintings and the aesthetic of fascism today is loving pepe. god loving drat.

which was stolen from an artist who's entire aesthetic is basically "chilling" i have no idea what the greater meaning of this is

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah while there were a bunch of 40k things the primary meme was Pepe the Frog. Which is so outstandingly retarded that I think future art historians are gonna just try and pretend the 2016 meme war never occurred.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

except pepe was/is first and foremost a 4chan meme. that means it's used on boards like /v/, /b/, and /pol/. saying it's exclusively used on /pol/ and therefore the alt-right mascot, was lazy & sensationalist journalism.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
pepe was/is a gbs meme originally i thought

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

well according to "know your meme" it's 2009 4chan

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Pepe belongs to the people

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/bobbyfinger/status/804803042851885057

http://pagesix.com/tag/art-basel/

I love art

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

art basel needs to be carpet bombed imo

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Computer art made great again.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Boosted_C5 posted:

Prostrate yourselves before Trump. Admit before God and man your sinful ways. Acknowledge the moral superiority of the common man and woman who made Trump President.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

ooh im forwarding that to a designer friend for some kind of snarky critique in respnse to read Monday morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED_T-O7J-g0

edit: nvrmnd im stoned and thought

was being produced as literal art...

or is it? rly idk anymore

can a tweet be considered 'art'?

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

Mariana Horchata has issued a correction as of 21:02 on Dec 4, 2016

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Patricia lockwood did an interview on html giant a few years back where she talked about one of the better graeyalien tweets:

quote:

This is the closest thing we have to a canonical tweet, and it’s probably the one I think about the most:

"YO AALIYAH DONT FILL UP ON ALL DAT BREAD GIRL…..GOT A BIG MEAL COMING WHEN WE LAND Really makes ya think. Eat the bread everyone. Namaste."

When I think of this tweet my thoughts go like this:

Aaliyah is dead and that is hosed up. I loved her voice a lot, I love the light-touch singers best and she was the lightest light-touch singer. She had the ability to just barely land and still feel the note — she was Princess and the Pea with the note 8 mattresses under her! I think of her technique as being trusting, but I think of it that way in retrospect.

If you don’t want to look at tender huge graffiti of her face on big walls all day every day then I don’t even know how to talk to you.

The quieter, the sweeter, the especially intimate voices — is it natural to feel that they are more ours? That the people who own them have more to do with us? Is that why we feel the way we do about Aaliyah?

Why do I feel the way I do about Aaliyah, and if I feel that way about her then why do I laugh at this tweet?

Well, “laughing” is not exactly what I do. More like, “sit staring at it with a sort of appalled reverence, wondering what kind of person I am.”

The reason people like @graeyalien are funnier than “twitter comedians” is because their tweets operate in two more dimensions. They consider who is speaking the tweet, and they consider whether the tweet looks funny. They create a character, and they apply small systematic derangements of punctuation, spelling, and capitalization appropriate to that character.

The recognizable speaker of this tweet is … a white aunt in Manitou Springs?

It makes you picture an Olive Garden moment on a plane that has entered into myth. The dishonesty of myth is that it makes you forget that the Olive Garden moments ever took place — not on that plane, not on that day, not between those two people.

If I think of the people in my life who have told me not to fill up on bread, it is an intimate circle of people. In my life only the people who cared a great deal for me have told me not to fill up on the bread.

Who is speaking? Who is telling her not to eat the bread? The voice is … paternalistic, which seems right because that’s how I remember people treating her even when she was alive. She seemed to arouse more than usual feelings of protectiveness. Protectiveness, paternalism are complicated. But somehow it always sounded nice when Timbaland called her “baby girl.”

But Timbaland would’ve told her to eat as much bread as she wanted. Oh my God. Timbaland would have baked bread for her himself.

She didn’t seem like the type who would eat all the bread. Maybe she really loved the bread! Maybe her handlers didn’t want her to eat it! Maybe she didn’t want to eat too much of it because her stomach had gotten so famous at that point.

Remember when we were all showing our stomachs, and wearing like enormous cargo pants and sports bras outside in the daytime? What the hell was that?

Actually that was awesome and I wish that it would happen again.

But not at the cost of eating the bread.

At some point she got abs? Which because I am visual always made me think of her breath pouring and tumbling down inside her like a cataract of water, over and past the boulders of abs, and the notes having to climb up over them on the way out.

Wikipedia: “In 1998, she hired a personal trainer to keep in shape, and exercised five days a week and ate diet foods.”

I was not allowed to show my stomach, at that time. I probably wouldn’t have showed it even if I HAD been allowed, because stomachs seemed so vulnerable to me.

It is tempting to view a person who died in a plane crash as being entirely vulnerable, even in her lifetime.

Neither was I allowed to listen to hip-hop. Well, it wasn’t so much that I wasn’t allowed as that — hip-hop was seen to be somehow ridiculous, and as having nothing to do with us.

But that is what I loved the best. I could give a gently caress about an electric guitar.

I was 18 years old, and she was 22, and for years her music had been everywhere, and I didn’t mind at all.

Not all of this information is present in the tweet, but the tweet walks arm-in-arm with all this information.

The art we like the best is generally the art that has the greatest access to us. So. This tweet has tremendous access to my feelings about Aaliyah. Aaliyah’s voice had tremendous access to me.

Aaliyah would have been on Twitter. It is hosed up that she is dead.

Eat the bread everyone.

Namaste.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I am dead serious. If you want to understand the aesthetic and social sensibilities of the 21st century fascist, read the lore for the Imperium of Man in WH40K. Those dorks can't get enough of it.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

idk does it require for to paint things beforehand? because i suck at that irl...

i am merely a patron of the arts; hmmm

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A patreon of the arts

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Art in the Trump Era will have lots of scantily dressed women paired with overly macho, heroic men who resort to violence. It'll emphasize romanticized ideas about how things should be and not how they are. Everything will be reduced to a soundbite or a simple phrase, think of corporate slogans and bumper sticker rhetoric.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

matthew barney is a p trump-era artist, v focused on masculinity, wonder if he's going to have a renaissance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo1Xse4C3x8&t=1641s

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Rand alPaul posted:

Art in the Trump Era will have lots of scantily dressed women paired with overly macho, heroic men who resort to violence. It'll emphasize romanticized ideas about how things should be and not how they are. Everything will be reduced to a soundbite or a simple phrase, think of corporate slogans and bumper sticker rhetoric.

Both rhetoric and design will be ridiculously exaggerated, in the latter case with e.g. shiny print/materials, but studiously put together so as to look like it was produced by someone extremely careless and/or incapable of self-reflection. Opulent but haphazard. It'll be done ironically to begin with, but eventually it'll cross over into serious, and looking back we'll be unable to tell exactly at which point it became the dominant style of the late 10s and early 20s.

Contemporary art will fight back, exhibits ironically falling into a similar pattern:

- Chipped and dented gold bars in a pile of garbage, under strobe lights and titled "201617 idgaf"
- Scale model of the Trump tower with its windows boarded up and a huge sign pointing to it saying "TORMP BAD AT BUSINESS!!!!"
- Real bald eagle, stuffed and made animatronic, reading out Trump's tweets in real time

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
i always thought the New Sincerity was a response to being bored of cynicism

but now, here we are, post truth, all having forgotten what irony was

all we have are context less synapse fires where the answer to every question of "is this person serious" is always met with "yes, and proud of it"

so i think we have a lot of honesty to look forward too, which probably means abandoning academic work

basically, now is the time for sittin back, relaxin to whatever trump's america version of k-pop idol groups are

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Rand alPaul posted:

CHRISTMAS IS CANCELLED - the funniest thing my dad ever said <theRealIvankaTrump>

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Danh Vō - Pao Soft, 2010 (gold leaf on cardboard)

trump-rear end flag

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

the avant-garde disappeared way way way up its own rear end trying to please its benefactors and I hope trump-era political art is actually comprehensible to the average person

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

merry exmarx posted:

Danh Vō - Pao Soft, 2010 (gold leaf on cardboard)

trump-rear end flag

Perfect.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTfbBvIEbfA

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

art might get better, but tv/movies/music/etc. won't, comedy definitely won't, and neither will pop culture/art criticism. all of those will continue to equate good politics with good art, and we will be worse off for it

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

get that OUT of my face posted:

art might get better, but tv/movies/music/etc. won't, comedy definitely won't, and neither will pop culture/art criticism. all of those will continue to equate good politics with good art, and we will be worse off for it

what about video games.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Kurtofan posted:

what about video games.

Banned except for dating sims.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
"I don’t know what Art Basel is."

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

this was cool

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

this is amazing Al!, thank you

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

ElPez posted:

Banned except for dating sims.
Speaking of which, Grand Old Academy, the GOP primary dating sim, was successfully kickstarted.
Their Tumblr

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

what about video games.
i hate to break it to you like this, but they're not art

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

i thought the new franzen novel cover was a little weird, anyone else?

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

lol but serious question has anyone read

and is it good

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

blamegame posted:

lol but serious question has anyone read

and is it good

i haven't. i've read this (covers italian + nazi fascism, maoism & stalinism) which seems to cover some of the same ground tho — it's good.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I always return to this great quote by documentarian Leo Hurwitz, referencing life as a radical in the 30s although it feels universal:

"In general there was a guerrilla war between the world of art and intellect and the world of politics and business, with the guerrillas winning the war on the battlefields of books, painting, and music, and the establishment so impervious that it did not know it was being attacked."

gently caress

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i like this essay by orwell about the conflation of good art with leftist politics in the 1930s because it's back to being true today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ajrosales
Dec 19, 2003

Al! posted:

i feel the same way about the architect frank gehry although i think his soulless red vine twist corporate towers

someone with bad taste in art spotted.

• Locked thread