Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

blamegame posted:

lol but serious question has anyone read

and is it good

I have and it's a really, really good read. It gives an incredibly in depth examination of the Nazi attitude towards art and Hitler's own perspective, and argues that if Hitler hadn't been an artist with some degree of cultural sophistication, he actually would have been less dangerous and destructive a ruler.

In particular I liked the sections about Entartete Kunst (though who wouldn't) and just how much opera Hitler took in on the average year (a lot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Laphroaig posted:

this is amazing Al!, thank you

You posting has reminded me the only art ill truly appreciate is gow much peat is in me whiskey.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I have and it's a really, really good read. It gives an incredibly in depth examination of the Nazi attitude towards art and Hitler's own perspective, and argues that if Hitler hadn't been an artist with some degree of cultural sophistication, he actually would have been less dangerous and destructive a ruler.

In particular I liked the sections about Entartete Kunst (though who wouldn't) and just how much opera Hitler took in on the average year (a lot).
Phew, dodged a bullet there with Trump.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

By way of comparison, Spotts calls Mussolini a cretinous philistine whose unsophisticated, oafish nature prevented him from making Fascist Italy all that dangerous a state to its neighbours, so we may have!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

ajrosales posted:

someone with bad taste in art spotted.

sorry frank its true, i dont like your buildings very much

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

By way of comparison, Spotts calls Mussolini a cretinous philistine whose unsophisticated, oafish nature prevented him from making Fascist Italy all that dangerous a state to its neighbours, so we may have!
That fits with Trump's greatest supporters being Italian-Americans too.

We should be worried about Kanye's presidency though.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

ajrosales posted:

someone with bad taste in art spotted.

lmao all of gehrys buildings look like crushed garbage that is more and more dated like the fake buildings of disney land, only identefiable for those who care enough about his dumb brand of whimsical poo poo built for his ego and not humans

ajrosales
Dec 19, 2003

passionate dongs posted:

lmao all of gehrys buildings look like crushed garbage that is more and more dated like the fake buildings of disney land, only identefiable for those who care enough about his dumb brand of whimsical poo poo built for his ego and not humans

Perhaps you should try studying a little architectural history and theory so that you can understand the importance of Gehry within the contemporary lexicon. He's an influential person for a reason. He allowed architecture to channel expressionism after the 20th Century had sapped modernism and minimalism to it's untimely end. You don't have to like everything he does, but what he does is widely respected among architects because he changed the rulebook a few decades ago.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

alright art vandalay, u should have said that the first time

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

ajrosales posted:

Perhaps you should try studying a little architectural history and theory so that you can understand the importance of Gehry within the contemporary lexicon. He's an influential person for a reason. He allowed architecture to channel expressionism after the 20th Century had sapped modernism and minimalism to it's untimely end. You don't have to like everything he does, but what he does is widely respected among architects because he changed the rulebook a few decades ago.

yes i really enjoy it when architects scar the world with their aesthetic experiments that fail to function as buildings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4PnYBGgdss

(there is no good architectural theory because the premise of the discipline is tricking clients into giving money)

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
why would you make something that is supposed to be a cultural center so antagonistic to its surroundings?

well you'd do that if you were a lovely architect i guess

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Surprisingly, being a menace to its neighbors actually pushed that building way ahead of the rest of his works, becoming a true artistic masterpiece. Then they went and ruined it.

A Buttery Pastry has issued a correction as of 22:27 on Dec 11, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

i've kept saying that a european country will elect someone who actually knows what they're doing as a leader and they will be far worse for their country than Trump. so i'm keeping a close eye on France and the Netherlands in the coming months

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

get that OUT of my face posted:

i've kept saying that a european country will elect someone who actually knows what they're doing as a leader and they will be far worse for their country than Trump. so i'm keeping a close eye on France and the Netherlands in the coming months

A European country electing something who knows what they're doing should make for a refreshing bit of novelty at least.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

ajrosales posted:

would you be saying all this if he hadn't made some spanish museum and its surrounding area a bunch of money. makes you think

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

A European country electing something who knows what they're doing should make for a refreshing bit of novelty at least.
Russia has elected Putin like a billion times by now.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

passionate dongs posted:

yes i really enjoy it when architects scar the world with their aesthetic experiments that fail to function as buildings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4PnYBGgdss

(there is no good architectural theory because the premise of the discipline is tricking clients into giving money)

yeah that's one of my big issues with his buildings, also a lot of his building have no relation to the architecture around them. they stick out like sore thumbs because he wants to do zaaaaany poo poo because he's totally an artist guys

having said that, the good architectural theory is brutalist :)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

imagine Lin Manuel Miranda rapping at a human face forever

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
architecture that is "rational" and is focused primarily on practicality is how we got the projects buildings, which hopefully, if you're being snarky about architecture, you know were a disaster. Not that I think Gehry is cool, it's just super rationalist architecture is Pruitt-Igoe and it's actually bad on both an aesthetic and an ethical level.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What went wrong with the projects had absolutely nothing to do with architecture.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

devtesla posted:

What went wrong with the projects had absolutely nothing to do with architecture.

Sorry, but that simply isn't true. The projects were the apex of the international style and it was the height of modernist architecture which saw a "one size fits all" architectural style as being the remedy for what ails you spatially and residentially. But, um, different communities have different needs and can't all be stuffed into generic huge project boxes with the expectations that they will "behave" rationally now that their housing is "rational." Architecture is just as ideological as any other cultural artifact.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Sorry, but that simply isn't true. The projects were the apex of the international style and it was the height of modernist architecture which saw a "one size fits all" architectural style as being the remedy for what ails you spatially and residentially. But, um, different communities have different needs and can't all be stuffed into generic huge project boxes with the expectations that they will "behave" rationally now that their housing is "rational." Architecture is just as ideological as any other cultural artifact.
It's less different needs, and more that the basic design assumes people are automatons who need rational storage between being at work, as opposed to a place where they can create a community. That's why those designs are awful anywhere.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/RogerJStoneJr/status/808399482840903681?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

holy poo poo

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Karl Barks posted:

holy poo poo

yeah

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Al! has issued a correction as of 18:27 on Dec 13, 2016

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
art in the the the Trump years will evade the sun like a vampire
it works late, for it is nite crew

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol death cab wrote a trump protest song making fun of the kids like six weeks ago

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I'm a door guy at a small nightclub. The sort of nightclub that, like, kind of caters to white hipsters, but it caters to hipsters in the way that you can guarantee there's going to be a fair bit of Selena every night, and the closing playlist always, always, always, includes como la flor. Anyway, I'm a big guy. Tall and broad. The bar prides itself on being a safe and affirming space for queer and nonbinary people (everyone, really), so I try to reinforce that in my dress, since I'm big enough that I don't need to "dress" intimindating. I try to simultaneously look big enough that if someone is giving you trouble, I can definitely get them to leave the club without much incident, but also that it's easy to ask me for help if you need it.

Anyway.

One night I'm working and a dude rolls up that is, at a glance, the hardest motherfucker I've ever encountered in his life. Like, teardrops and MS-13 in four-inch letters on his neck kind of poo poo. And he walks up and stops and points at my shirt and says "Motherfucker, that poo poo is my childhood!" I'm wearing a shirt with the album art for Saves the Day's "Stay What You Are" on it.

Anyway that was the day I realized nothing ever makes sense.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

blamegame posted:

lol but serious question has anyone read

and is it good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CASFoJpB0-o

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Bushiz posted:

I'm a door guy at a small nightclub. The sort of nightclub that, like, kind of caters to white hipsters, but it caters to hipsters in the way that you can guarantee there's going to be a fair bit of Selena every night, and the closing playlist always, always, always, includes como la flor. Anyway, I'm a big guy. Tall and broad. The bar prides itself on being a safe and affirming space for queer and nonbinary people (everyone, really), so I try to reinforce that in my dress, since I'm big enough that I don't need to "dress" intimindating. I try to simultaneously look big enough that if someone is giving you trouble, I can definitely get them to leave the club without much incident, but also that it's easy to ask me for help if you need it.

Anyway.

One night I'm working and a dude rolls up that is, at a glance, the hardest motherfucker I've ever encountered in his life. Like, teardrops and MS-13 in four-inch letters on his neck kind of poo poo. And he walks up and stops and points at my shirt and says "Motherfucker, that poo poo is my childhood!" I'm wearing a shirt with the album art for Saves the Day's "Stay What You Are" on it.

Anyway that was the day I realized nothing ever makes sense.

First Of The Gang To Be Deported

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk1wUKoXL20

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

great to see Kanye has regained his sanity

wait

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

yeah this is art

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

This must be painted in its entirety.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Nonsense posted:

This must be painted in its entirety.

"Two future presidents"

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Post-American Neo-Expressionism

AKA nu-degenerate art or Neue Entartete Kunst

Mariana Horchata has issued a correction as of 07:11 on Dec 15, 2016

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Karl Barks posted:

yeah that's one of my big issues with his buildings, also a lot of his building have no relation to the architecture around them. they stick out like sore thumbs because he wants to do zaaaaany poo poo because he's totally an artist guys

If you're gonna do that you gotta go big

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Lord of Pie posted:

fkkkk i love that building!! :swoon:

isnt it still under construction for the next 20 years??

pity its surrounded by architectural garbage tho.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
can a mod fix the typo in the thread title its supposed to say fart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Lord of Pie posted:

but at least that matches the overall tone of the city!

this building is a monstrosity imo

• Locked thread