Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

bump_fn posted:

can a mod fix the typo in the thread title its supposed to say fart

Tempting, but no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Karl Barks posted:

but at least that matches the overall tone of the city!

this building is a monstrosity imo

Most expensive building in Massachusetts AND it murdered someone.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Mariana Horchata posted:

Post-American Neo-Expressionism

AKA nu-degenerate art or Neue Entartete Kunst

whos going to be our clement greenberg???

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Is that the Ray and Maria Stata Center? I understand the expensive part but murdered someone?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

the dumb loving roofs are angled as such to let hundreds of pounds of ice accumulate and then dump them on unsuspecting people from several stories

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the dumb loving roofs are angled as such to let hundreds of pounds of ice accumulate and then dump them on unsuspecting people from several stories

wow, what a terribly designed building

who designed it??????? i bet it's someone we can't criticize because they're too important

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

gehry, because of loving course

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

my cousin worked in that building and was like "I could've had an entire floor of the prudential building for this price, but no I have to settle for a hundred square feet with dumb loving walls"

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

don't you guys know the importance of gehry within the contemporary lexicon?? sheesh

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Karl Barks posted:

don't you guys know the importance of gehry within the contemporary lexicon?? sheesh

gehry is a poo poo who wants to be howard roark

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

close but gotcha beat bud.

look for our crumbling infrastructure to be a common theme in the art of the trump era...

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

there was that girl who got decapitated by the man hole cover in tip oneil tunnel this summer as well... :yikes:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

This all reminds me of how neglected infrastructure started to kill people during Shock Therapy in Russia. The one story that still sticks out in my mind was when a kid was walking down the street with his dad, fell into an open maintenance line and into super heated water, and ended up being boiled alive. I can't recall the details, and can't find it online so I'm not sure if he fell into a collapsed pothole or an open manhole. Early this year though, three kids in Kamchatka fell into boiling sewage and died because a wooden walkway collapsed underneath them.
http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/n0570-tragedy-has-three-8-year-old-boys-die-after-falling-in-boiling-sewer/

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Mariana Horchata posted:

close but gotcha beat bud.

look for our crumbling infrastructure to be a common theme in the art of the trump era...

Crumbling infrastructure was a problem before the trump era

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

gehry, because of loving course
He sure is versatile. Cooking people with heat rays or crushing them with snow, there's nothing the man can't do.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

most architects hate people by making atrocious difficult to use buildings, gehry straight up murders them

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

He sure is versatile. Cooking people with heat rays or crushing them with snow, there's nothing the man can't do.

most architects hate people by making atrocious difficult to use buildings, gehry straight up murders them

You have nothing to back up your statement "Most architects hate people" and you certainly have nothing to prove that Gehry murders them...

( I actually want to be proven wrong because Gehry sounds amazing with most architects hating people )

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

AmyL posted:

You have nothing to back up your statement "Most architects hate people"

Did you ever torture people in The Sims? Well imagine what kind of person would want to design living and workspaces for real life.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

AmyL posted:

You have nothing to back up your statement "Most architects hate people" and you certainly have nothing to prove that Gehry murders them...

( I actually want to be proven wrong because Gehry sounds amazing with most architects hating people )

le corbusier

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

I really want to hear more because after reading about World-Famous Walt Disney Concert Hall I am fascinated to how horrible an architect he is

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Architects don't hate people, that's like saying you hate ants because you don't take care not to step on them walking down the streets.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Architects don't hate people, that's like saying you hate ants because you don't take care not to step on them walking down the streets.

an architect would design an ant farm out of asphalt and magnifying glasses given the chance

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

le pire

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

My brother wanted to be an architect once, and now he's in a cult.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

AmyL posted:

I really want to hear more because after reading about World-Famous Walt Disney Concert Hall I am fascinated to how horrible an architect he is

*clads structure in titanium*

*randomly angled walls look like the T-1000 took a poo poo*

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

My brother wanted to be an architect once, and now he's in a cult.

sos his brother ;)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Al! posted:

sos his brother ;)

Do you have any stairs, brother?

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

*clads structure in titanium*

*randomly angled walls look like the T-1000 took a poo poo*

What about a place when you are having schizophrenic hallucinations, you experience them right outside here? Ruvo

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

AmyL posted:

What about a place when you are having schizophrenic hallucinations, you experience them right outside here? Ruvo

jfc the back is even uglier somehow

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

All this non-euclidean architecture makes me sympathize with Lovecraft.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

"Yo bird, check out my dick"

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This all reminds me of how neglected infrastructure started to kill people during Shock Therapy in Russia. The one story that still sticks out in my mind was when a kid was walking down the street with his dad, fell into an open maintenance line and into super heated water, and ended up being boiled alive. I can't recall the details, and can't find it online so I'm not sure if he fell into a collapsed pothole or an open manhole. Early this year though, three kids in Kamchatka fell into boiling sewage and died because a wooden walkway collapsed underneath them.
http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/n0570-tragedy-has-three-8-year-old-boys-die-after-falling-in-boiling-sewer/

This is gonna sound crazy but to the sewers absolutely have to be boiling?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

Yeah, unless you want an infestation of radioactive mutants in your sewers.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

The Soviets experimented with centralized heating systems where every building in a city could be hooked up to a common steam line. The Russians decentralized it because it's inefficient, but they kept the basic concept by having mixed power/heating plants for a local area. Because the sewers are part of the same system, the sewage also has to be kept at an extremely high temperature to maintain central heating. Plus, if you don't have hot sewerage in the far reaches of eastern Siberia, there's a good chance it could freeze over.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

jfc the back is even uglier somehow

uhhhhh

even the SPLC HQ building looks more aesthetically pleasing - and their building is p much a vertical bunker (see: architecture in the trump years)

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i wonder which architect will design the reeducation camps

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Soviets experimented with centralized heating systems where every building in a city could be hooked up to a common steam line. The Russians decentralized it because it's inefficient, but they kept the basic concept by having mixed power/heating plants for a local area. Because the sewers are part of the same system, the sewage also has to be kept at an extremely high temperature to maintain central heating. Plus, if you don't have hot sewerage in the far reaches of eastern Siberia, there's a good chance it could freeze over.

No I mean cogeneration of heat and power, or use of available industrial waste heat for residential heating, is cool and good, but if your waste water is 80 fuckin degrees C you're throwing away a hilarious amount of energy and also, well, it's kinda dangerous. The whole execution seems very Russian.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

No I mean cogeneration of heat and power, or use of available industrial waste heat for residential heating, is cool and good, but if your waste water is 80 fuckin degrees C you're throwing away a hilarious amount of energy and also, well, it's kinda dangerous. The whole execution seems very Russian.

I said it was inefficient. I don't know everything about Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, but if it's one of the old Soviet "model cities" that the Russian government has to subsidize, they may have never been able to replace the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

bump_fn posted:

i wonder which architect will design the reeducation camps

Knowing Trump? The lowest bidder, who then won't be paid anyway.

• Locked thread