Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Make Anime Great Again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Darkman Fanpage posted:

"hey man i know that trump and co are loving you over on your medicare but did you know that a lot of great art comes out of times of strife and estrangement from establishment/authority?"

Art was better during the 90s than the Bush years.

That's not just nostalgia speaking. Illustrations were more stylized, films were more transgressive, music was pushing into new frontiers. 9/11 made everyone retarded.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mr President posted:

But it was far better in the 80s during the Reagan years

The best thing to come out of the 80s was Paul Verhoeven. The 70s were better than the 80s. :cool:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mr President posted:

nah son NAH

80s had ALL the best movies: Terminator, Ghostbusters, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Back to the Future, Robocop, Predator, etc. etc. etc.
ALL the best comics: John Ostrander Suicide Squad, Claremont X-Men & New Mutants, Alan Moore Swamp Thing, Neil Gaiman Sandman, Dark Knight Returns, Frank Miller Daredevil, WATCHMEN
and ALL the best music: the golden age of pop, synth wave,Early hip hop/rap, glam rock, heavy metal & punk in their prime

Try the golden age of metal, funk, soul, and yes - even disco.
The frontier-shattering films: The Godfather, Taxi Driver, The Warriors, Chinatown, A Clockwork Orange, Halloween, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I could go on.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Lactose Is Wack posted:

great another ivory tower liberal talking about something that concerns .00001% of the population.

guess what, the vast majority of people don't give two shits about art when they cant afford to feed themselves

That's what half of folk culture is all about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uKbIkYGsIg

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Lactose Is Wack posted:

it's why you lose elections

It's why everybody loses elections.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Karl Barks posted:

someone has to make bad art and sell it for millions, duh

Marina Abramovic's brand is the real winner of 2016

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The value of Jeff Koons's art is that it will show the masses not to dread the guillotine.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fidel Castronaut posted:

lol. the aesthetic of fascism back then were all these paintings and the aesthetic of fascism today is loving pepe. god loving drat.

Fascists today commission plenty of paintings. But they're all of Trump as the WH40k God Emperor.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I am dead serious. If you want to understand the aesthetic and social sensibilities of the 21st century fascist, read the lore for the Imperium of Man in WH40K. Those dorks can't get enough of it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Pepe belongs to the people

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

imagine Lin Manuel Miranda rapping at a human face forever

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

This all reminds me of how neglected infrastructure started to kill people during Shock Therapy in Russia. The one story that still sticks out in my mind was when a kid was walking down the street with his dad, fell into an open maintenance line and into super heated water, and ended up being boiled alive. I can't recall the details, and can't find it online so I'm not sure if he fell into a collapsed pothole or an open manhole. Early this year though, three kids in Kamchatka fell into boiling sewage and died because a wooden walkway collapsed underneath them.
http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/n0570-tragedy-has-three-8-year-old-boys-die-after-falling-in-boiling-sewer/

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

AmyL posted:

You have nothing to back up your statement "Most architects hate people"

Did you ever torture people in The Sims? Well imagine what kind of person would want to design living and workspaces for real life.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

My brother wanted to be an architect once, and now he's in a cult.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Al! posted:

sos his brother ;)

Do you have any stairs, brother?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

All this non-euclidean architecture makes me sympathize with Lovecraft.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

This is gonna sound crazy but to the sewers absolutely have to be boiling?

The Soviets experimented with centralized heating systems where every building in a city could be hooked up to a common steam line. The Russians decentralized it because it's inefficient, but they kept the basic concept by having mixed power/heating plants for a local area. Because the sewers are part of the same system, the sewage also has to be kept at an extremely high temperature to maintain central heating. Plus, if you don't have hot sewerage in the far reaches of eastern Siberia, there's a good chance it could freeze over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

No I mean cogeneration of heat and power, or use of available industrial waste heat for residential heating, is cool and good, but if your waste water is 80 fuckin degrees C you're throwing away a hilarious amount of energy and also, well, it's kinda dangerous. The whole execution seems very Russian.

I said it was inefficient. I don't know everything about Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, but if it's one of the old Soviet "model cities" that the Russian government has to subsidize, they may have never been able to replace the system.

• Locked thread