Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

credburn posted:

I know there are workarounds, but what I really don't get is what Shorts do. If you were trying to pitch me, a YouTube exec, Shorts, what would you say? Because "it's just like a regular video but it takes away features like volume and timeline control" isn't a selling point. It must do something else.

They are short and endlessly doomscrollable.
Just like tiktok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Issaries posted:

They are short and endlessly doomscrollable.
Just like tiktok.

They're not short -- is there even a limit to how long a "Short" is? I've seen some that are minutes long. And functionally it's no different than hitting "next video" on normal YouTube.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

credburn posted:

If you were trying to pitch me, a YouTube exec, Shorts, what would you say?

I would say "it's just like tiktok" and you would say "excellent, tiktok is really popular right now, no need to tell me anything else!"

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

credburn posted:

Hey, let me ask a question about YouTube shorts. I'm not really a YouTube person, but to me, Shorts are exactly the same as a regular YouTube video but with some features taken away. They must do something. Do they integrate in a different way with Facebook or something? What exactly is a "short" as opposed to a "video" and why would I ever want to view a short in lieu of a video?

They are usually a bit shorter op hth

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

credburn posted:

I know there are workarounds, but what I really don't get is what Shorts do. If you were trying to pitch me, a YouTube exec, Shorts, what would you say? Because "it's just like a regular video but it takes away features like volume and timeline control" isn't a selling point. It must do something else.

Anyone with an MBA is literally the stupidest person in whatever room they walk into.

There is no other possible explanation except that somehow they're in charge of decisions.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

YouTube shorts also seem to stop using your recommendation algorithm after a few minutes of scrolling to hit you with a bunch of dogshit pranks and propaganda

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Smdh that we've had a dozen posts about YouTube shorts and no-one has brought up the annoying drunk Australians

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Smdh that we've had a dozen posts about YouTube shorts and no-one has brought up the annoying drunk Australians

Wait, are you telling me there’s sober Australians? I always thought those were cryptids like the drop bear or bunyip.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

credburn posted:

They're not short -- is there even a limit to how long a "Short" is? I've seen some that are minutes long. And functionally it's no different than hitting "next video" on normal YouTube.

It's literally just vertical shot videos. I think if you post a vertical video it makes it a short. Something like that. The point is you just infinitely scroll, mindlessly swiping your finger. Occasionally stopping on an interesting one, and the algorithm adjusts based on that. The point is that it's effortless. showing increasingly relevant videos. YouTube just sucks at it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Robobot posted:

Wait, are you telling me there’s sober Australians? I always thought those were cryptids like the drop bear or bunyip.

They say that about Scotsman too and at least we have the shite grey weather to justify it

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

JollyBoyJohn posted:

They say that about Scotsman too and at least we have the shite grey weather to justify it

True, but Australians have to live in Australia so I think they get a pass.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
The horizontal row of numbers on a keyboard should start with 0, not 1.

And don't give me any of that bullshit about old keyboards not having a 1 or 0.

Cat Ass Trophy has a new favorite as of 21:22 on Mar 14, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Why would they start the row of numbers with something that isn’t a number?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

credburn posted:

its tiktok but i dont have to install another app for it and the content is usually either reposts from tiktok, or creators i already like posting snippets of new videos i didnt know existed

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
China has done a whole lot less damage to my nations ability to function than the USA and I wish twitter were banned instead of tiktok. Only one of them is currently massively platforming holocaust denial the sake of hating trans folks from one of the world's richest women.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Josef bugman posted:

China has done a whole lot less damage to my nations ability to function than the USA and I wish twitter were banned instead of tiktok. Only one of them is currently massively platforming holocaust denial the sake of hating trans folks from one of the world's richest women.

War Thunder is a demonstrably greater threat to national security than TikTok, it’s only at threat of being banned because kids use it to embarrass politicians.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

foreign governments are 100% using tik-tok for subversion, but they're also using Facebook and Twitter and every comment section on the internet

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

hawowanlawow posted:

foreign governments are 100% using tik-tok for subversion, but they're also using Facebook and Twitter and every comment section on the internet

And it’s actually fine. It’s all in the game. We’re like the main country, of course other countries are going to try to have their say in how things go down here.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
If Putin hates you, like, a lot, but not enough for you to “fall from a window,” you end up being in charge of disinformation on Something Awful.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Josef bugman posted:

You’re British. Your country’s woes are self-inflicted.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I hate Twitter and tiktok because I hate freedom.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

I mean yeah, but the USA can still take some of the blame.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Josef bugman posted:

I mean yeah, but the USA can still take some of the blame.

Still bitter about us not backing you in the Suez crisis, huh?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Still bitter about us not backing you in the Suez crisis, huh?

No, more sad about our own idiot politicians continually taking their ques from the more fasc parts of the US.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Josef bugman posted:

No, more sad about our own idiot politicians continually taking their ques from the more fasc parts of the US.

I think you guys got to rabid transphobia as a major political force a couple years before America did. You've still got some fire in the belly.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

thetoughestbean posted:

I didn't know they were British until now, but that makes my PHUO I was going to write in response anyway extra lol.

I'm Egyptian-American. Yeah, the USA sucks immense amounts of rear end and is perhaps the single worst country. In ever.

But my take:

it's hilarious how people from places like Britain, Spain, France, Israel sob that America ruined them. Was it involved? Sure, yeah, honestly there is very little bad poo poo in the past century or so I don't think some idiot More Money For Us USA special forces haven't been at least related to. But for rich comfy countries, the CIA did not force you to elect frothing reactionaries over and over. Joe Biden did not do Erdogan.

The stupid accent I speak English in is because Britain deported a shitload of people they didn't like. The reason I'm Egyptian-American and not Egyptian is because Britain, or should I say the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, very cool normal country don't want to misname it and be a disrespectful yank, invaded my country in support of Israel. And before that, you know, Britain loving colonized my country?

In short, Britain is currently under a revolving clown car of terfy Tories because that is what British voters love and want. The damned Yanks didn't make you do it. You did it. Britain of every loving country in the world has no right to claim it's bad because America did it.

soviet elsa has a new favorite as of 02:59 on Mar 16, 2024

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

soviet elsa posted:

inspiring stuff

as a proud Irish American, your words really resonated with me. This tune has been in my head for a few days, coming up on Saint Paddy’s day.

https://youtu.be/S7woEXovruc?feature=shared

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

soviet elsa posted:

I didn't know they were British until now, but that makes my PHUO I was going to write in response anyway extra lol.

I'm Egyptian-American. Yeah, the USA sucks immense amounts of rear end and is perhaps the single worst country. In ever.

But my take:

it's hilarious how people from places like Britain, Spain, France, Israel sob that America ruined them. Was it involved? Sure, yeah, honestly there is very little bad poo poo in the past century or so I don't think some idiot More Money For Us USA special forces haven't been at least related to. But for rich comfy countries, the CIA did not force you to elect frothing reactionaries over and over. Joe Biden did not do Erdogan.

The stupid accent I speak English in is because Britain deported a shitload of people they didn't like. The reason I'm Egyptian-American and not Egyptian is because Britain, or should I say the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, very cool normal country don't want to misname it and be a disrespectful yank, invaded my country in support of Israel. And before that, you know, Britain loving colonized my country?

In short, Britain is currently under a revolving clown car of terfy Tories because that is what British voters love and want. The damned Yanks didn't make you do it. You did it. Britain of every loving country in the world has no right to claim it's bad because America did it.

Can you read what I said instead of "oh our noble spirit is corrupted by the perfidious yankee" stuff that you are implying?

The USA has more influence on our politics through flooding it with lovely money (Tufton Street for instance). Also ofc there is influence pedaling and the Hegemon forcing their views on people that is why they are Hegemon. Other nations do have it a lot worse, but what I said was that "China has hurt the UK's ability to function a lot less than the USA has".

Britain invaded Egypt multiple times before that as it happens, because Britain is also a lovely colonial state manufactured on blood and suffering. Doesn't mean I cannot also have an awful lot of roiling contempt for the various different flavours of awful that get imported from across the Atlantic as well as our own fetid home grown ones.

I mean, yeah it is. 30% of people also don't vote in it because "all the same" bollocks and a concerted effort from our media, and US media too lets throw that poo poo around, to paint the person trying to stop that as Hitler 2.0 who was going to murder every Jewish person and replace every business with a gulag. The problem remains within power structures.

I have contempt for the UK. I just think America is currently worse and has more influence because of the sheer amount of money and military power they have. It's not even the standard American, it's the governmental structures and various different soft power groups that come from it and flood the world in general with more money for right wing groups than we can imagine.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 08:34 on Mar 16, 2024

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Folks, this is the thread for complaining that eggplant is gross.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Josef bugman posted:

My guess is one of the main reasons why tiktok is banned is the IDF are really loving themselves over on there. their tiktok feed is just entirely documentation of war crimes

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

thetoughestbean posted:

Gripweed posted:

I think you guys got to rabid transphobia as a major political force a couple years before America did. You've still got some fire in the belly.

The main bankroller of transphobia, transphobic "cornerstone" court cases (that they largely have lost up until this year), and transphobic organisations in the UK are far-right american christofascist organisations. Yes, terfs have a lot of individual political support, but they were not well funded or well-organized until american political organisations started shovelling them money.

Before right-wing american christian "for the family" groups started funding their PR they actually had a lot of difficulty establishing any forward motion among the general public, the government bureaucracies, and the legal system.

e: I would ask that on this matter, that you please stop shooting your guns before double checking that the chamber is loaded, because the current political situation is very tenuous and the degree of misinformation is already "not great". Please try not to contribute to that. Thank you.

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 02:57 on Mar 17, 2024

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

soviet elsa posted:

The majority base of voters in the UK I think tend to dislike the Tories, but currently the alternative parties are "Tory Lite" and "Tory Lite 2: Electric Joobaloo". Their attitudes are largely disliked in terms of political polling, and the "general public" voting base here is actually pretty loving left wing, the reason why Corbyn shot into the mainstream was because he was popular with voters, and a common slander against him was that he was a "populist", despite his political stances being pretty solid and consistent. The state funded media, according to a study performed by the LSE, did several years of slander, misinformation, and negative media coverage about him (to the point of censoring live broadcasts), and even after that it was a damned close tie. I'm not 100% sure, but if you want to blame anything for the UK government being hosed up, I would put the blame on the Tories repeatedly gerrymandering voting districts before they called the general election.

(and heres a more recent gerrymandering citation i couldn't fit in)

soviet elsa posted:

That is hosed up! Colonialism and imperialism is hosed up, and I am sorry that you are a generational victim of that.

soviet elsa posted:

This is factually inaccurate, though. As I mentioned above.

e: edited for citations

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 03:20 on Mar 17, 2024

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
drat those Tories stuffing ballot boxes.

At least we can just admit most our people are idiots in the US of A instead of whining that it's not our fault.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

alexandriao posted:

My guess is one of the main reasons why tiktok is banned is the IDF are really loving themselves over on there. their tiktok feed is just entirely documentation of war crimes

Congress isn’t trying to ban tiktok it’s trying to make the company that owns it divest it. It did the same thing to Grindr a couple years ago. Israel/Palestine doesn’t factor in at all. But hey,

alexandriao posted:

e: I would ask that on this matter, that you please stop shooting your guns before double checking that the chamber is loaded, because the current political situation is very tenuous and the degree of misinformation is already "not great". Please try not to contribute to that. Thank you.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Anyways my milquetoast opinion is that Americans shouldn’t have opinions on the UK royal family, we fought a whole rear end war to not have to pay attention to them

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

thetoughestbean posted:

Congress isn’t trying to ban tiktok it’s trying to make the company that owns it divest it. It did the same thing to Grindr a couple years ago. Israel/Palestine doesn’t factor in at all. But hey,

lol it absolutely does. That's why there's a sudden bi-partisan impetus to get it done quick. There's also the benefit of checking a threat to silicon valley, but that's not why it suddenly happened so fast just now.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
It's okay to watch entertainment videos at high speed and that isn't "missing the point of killing time" or whatever.
(It's also okay to watch them at normal speed.)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

thetoughestbean posted:

Tiktok activism has been and remains one of the main methods The Youth organize and share information these days. I really highly doubt that the US government, with it's staunchly pro-Israel viewpoint, is blind to the fact that the majority of youth have been radicalised against the Zionist genocidal campaign by IDF videos posted on Tiktok.

quote:

One video allegedly showing people fleeing Israeli strikes in Gaza, posted under the hashtag by US-based news site Muslim, has more than 44 million views on TikTok.

Another post by TikTok user Sabrina Abukhdeir - with more than 1.5 million views - showed crying Palestinian children and the destruction of a high-rise block in Gaza.

(...)

On Thursday night, Israel's Defence Minister Benny Gantz asked Facebook and TikTok to remove posts from their sites which he said could encourage violence.

"These are measures that will directly prevent the violence that is being intentionally stirred through social media by extremist elements that are seeking to do damage to our country," he reportedly said. "We are in a moment of social emergency, and we expect your assistance."
( source )

See also, Vox's article on this.

It's such a solid fact that Tiktok has been a major lever in terms of activism against the genocide that it was literally mentioned in two papers studying that as far back as 2021 lmao

e: url, not quote lol

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Medical professionals get too much respect. It's a holdover from when only the richest, whitest men were allowed to look at a corpses or a nude woman without going to "gaol". That notion that being a doctor is somehow more noble or prestigious than any other job is just a relic from that time.

Doctors are just trying to sell you expensive poo poo, they're basically the same as car stereo people. If anything they're worse, if there's something you want at the car stereo shop and you've got the money, they'll do it. But doctors are so high on their own fake authority they'll refuse to perform procedures or give you medicine unless they think you need it. That is insane, no other service person in the world acts like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off
I like to playback at half speed. That way I can enjoy it longer.