Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Airlines should require people to at least wear socks in the cabin, kids 5 and under excluded. I don't ever wanna see your feet when I'm crammed in a tin can with you, please die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Goose's death was 100% Maverick's fault and he should feel bad about it forever and be discharged from the Air Force. Flight instructor lady should be fired for loving one of her students. The final mission is an unprovoked act of war and whoever approved it should be brought up on charges. Tom Cruise should be thrown into the sun.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gripweed posted:

You never hear about people being allergic to nuts anymore.

That's not at all true.

This is just you not being in a context where it comes up often.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Runa posted:

That's not at all true.

This is just you not being in a context where it comes up often.

No, i really think nut allergies were a much bigger thing, culturally, in like the mid 2000s

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Maybe you noticed it more because that's when right wingers became obsessed with it as a sign that the world had gone soft. How far America had fallen for we lived in fear of peanuts hur hur hur...

Then they started bitching about trans people and critical race theory so you haven't heard about it since.

Punkinhead has a new favorite as of 14:15 on Apr 9, 2024

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

There are also newer, better treatments now too. The last kid I nannied went into anaphylaxis the first time she ate something with peanuts in it. She did gradual exposure therapy at the allergist and now at age 3 she can eat an entire raw peanut. Allergist says she'll be good to go by kindergarten.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Modal Auxiliary posted:

There are also newer, better treatments now too. The last kid I nannied went into anaphylaxis the first time she ate something with peanuts in it. She did gradual exposure therapy at the allergist and now at age 3 she can eat an entire raw peanut. Allergist says she'll be good to go by kindergarten.

That’s great, I’m glad to hear it.

Punkinhead posted:

Maybe you noticed it more because that's when right wingers became obsessed with it as a sign that the world had gone soft. How far America had fallen for we lived in fear of peanuts hur hur hur...

Then they started bitching about trans people and critical race theory so you haven't heard about it since.

That’s not great.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Gripweed posted:

No, i really think nut allergies were a much bigger thing, culturally, in like the mid 2000s

Do you have kids? Because I accidentally let my daughter walk into class the other day with a peanut butter cracker and they treated her like Patient 0 until she scrubbed down. It's definitely still a concern.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It's not quite as in the zeitgeist as it was 10-15 years ago, unless you have kids. Also as someone above mentioned, there are better treatments that work to cute the condition rather than just prevent anaphylaxis related death.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
or if you work in food service

if you want an entire night's """entertainment""", get the shift manager of a local eatery drunk and ask them to tell you everything they do regarding allergens.

i do mean an entire night so don't try to do this at 10pm. 8 at the absolute latest.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

adding ",you know?" to the end of an opinion is annoying as poo poo

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Is it worse at the end or the beginning?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Aramek posted:

You know, it might be worse at the beginning. You know what I mean?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

aw jeez I'm just a little smol bean telling you folx about some annoying poo poo, you know?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
People should be using the superior Midwest version,“dontchaknow”.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Aramek posted:

It's worst, you know, in the middle.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

The Dune remake felt hollow and unengaging, it was the most gorgeous bad film I've ever seen.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Robobot posted:

People should be using the superior Midwest version,“dontchaknow”.

I’m very Midwestern and there’s something incredibly Midwestern about going “Oh, you know,” right before you start describing an emotionally taxing situation

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Modal Auxiliary posted:

The Dune remake felt hollow and unengaging, it was the most gorgeous bad film I've ever seen.

I described it to someone as good but boring.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think it'd be very funny if someone lifted all the inner monologue from the novel and narrated it over the film.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Gaius Marius posted:

I think it'd be very funny if someone lifted all the inner monologue from the novel and had Harrison Ford narrate it over the film.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

I think it'd be very funny if someone lifted all the inner monologue from the novel and narrated it over the film.

It's begging for the "Wizard People Dear Reader" treatment.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Something can be so bad it's good but being boring is the ultimate sin

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
Dune is an unreadable trash book. The movies do just what they are supposed to. I feel like an alien when people describe it as this return to form for sci-fi movies. It’s the boringest trash ever. I gave it a good try but no, I do not care at all about Tim Chalamet becoming Muhammad and Jesus and Luke. It is so loving boring.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Gripweed posted:

You never hear about people being allergic to nuts anymore.

I’m allergic to walnuts and I can tell you about it if you’d like (I’m gonna tell you about it anyway because I’ve started this post now)

It’s deeply disappointing because it only developed in my early 30s, and I had eaten enough walnuts in my life to know that I really like walnuts. I’d mastered toasting and candying them with maple syrup in a cast iron pan, and they were one of my favourite snacks and slightly-fancy things to bring to parties. I had access to a lot of them when I was home in nz, because my parents owned a small walnut orchard, that I’d helped them plant 10 years earlier, and it was just getting into full production.
It started out as just my mouth and throat getting itchy, which frankly is a small price to pay for delicious walnuts, but progressed into swelling over a year or so, and then I stopped eating them because I guess I’d rather live than die from delicious maple walnuts.
Once again, I am a great disappointment to my parents.

If you can eat walnuts, please munch on some toasted walnuts for me, they’re fuckin delicious and I miss them.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Scientists should just invent a cure for nut allergies. Don’t know why they waste their time looking at bugs and fish and stuff when they could just start curing things.

Scientists are dumb.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

soviet elsa posted:

Dune is an unreadable trash book. The movies do just what they are supposed to. I feel like an alien when people describe it as this return to form for sci-fi movies. It’s the boringest trash ever. I gave it a good try but no, I do not care at all about Tim Chalamet becoming Muhammad and Jesus and Luke. It is so loving boring.

You are an alien. It was pretty good. 9 out of 10 scienticians agree.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Dune was so boring that when I was a teenager I couldn't get into it. I was reading all sorts of old sci fi, but Dune moved at such a slow pace. As an adult I read it and loved it, though.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
Tesla full self driving is nowhere near ready. I am "enjoying" my free month of it, and the loving car regularly tries to get in an accident every few minutes. Plus, it drives like a complete rear end in a top hat. Especially in low speed lanes merging situations. It just won't let people in.
Someone once said it drives like a drunk, blindfolded 14 yo boy. But after a week of use, I think that statement is an insult to drunk, blindfolded 14yo boys.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
lol you bought a Tesla

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

lol you bought a Tesla

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

lol you bought a Tesla

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

lol you bought a Tesla

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
Yeah! Get his rear end!

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
The idea that homosexuality is "decadent" kind of presupposes that gay sex just inherently feels better. As a member of Team Straight, I don't like giving up that point without any contention.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Nameless Pete posted:

The idea that homosexuality is "decadent" kind of presupposes that gay sex just inherently feels better. As a member of Team Straight, I don't like giving up that point without any contention.

Don't knock it till you've tried it.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I'm not saying we necessarily win the Grand Championship, but we should at least compete.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

It's not vain to believe a song is about you when it actually is. Especially when it contains such specific details that couldn't plausibly apply to anyone else. Did you date Carly Simon prior to November 1972 and (also before that date but after ending your relationship) fly your lear jet up to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun? Then the song is about you. That's not vanity. If you didn't think the song was about you you'd be astoundingly oblivious.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Tiggum posted:

It's not vain to believe a song is about you when it actually is. Especially when it contains such specific details that couldn't plausibly apply to anyone else. Did you date Carly Simon prior to November 1972 and (also before that date but after ending your relationship) fly your lear jet up to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun? Then the song is about you. That's not vanity. If you didn't think the song was about you you'd be astoundingly oblivious.

Once you know mick jagger does backing vocals you can't hear carly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Nameless Pete posted:

No, the idea is that heterosexual sex can result in children, and even when it doesn't it's still reproducing the traditional heterosexual society. But homosexual sex almost never results in children, and is outside the bounds of heterosexual society. So youre breaking the strictures of society for no reason other than your own pleasure, is the logic behind the people calling it decadent

Gripweed has a new favorite as of 14:25 on Apr 11, 2024