Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
The Beatles are trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Das Boo posted:

As a teen I used to live up in a town in Washington cozied right up next to the Canadian border. When I got my first retail job, my co-workers warned me about Canadian holidays as they'd come down in droves, tear the store to hell and we'd probably be there until 1 am getting poo poo back together. What they didn't warn me about was how they'd hold up lines to smugly deride you about your dollar, your president, your healthcare... all sorts of political things that you, the 17 year-old girl in shoes had no control over. It got to the point where you could swap the Find-the-Vegan with Find-the-Canadian.

So yeah, I agree with you.

Bellingham? I always feel so bad for them. :( In the US I can tell who's a Canadian at Seattle Premium Outlets etc, we're such smug, oblivious shitheads.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
One of the best ways to judge the character of a person is how they react to and treat children. Their own or otherwise

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Professor Shark posted:

Snapchat is just an excuse for people to take pictures of themselves

Selfies are the downfall of our society. Nobody loving cares about the 100th picture of you at the grocery store. I have taken exactly zero selfies in my life and I can't think of a situation in which I will ever take one. Nobody gives a poo poo that I got a haircut, I'm in a different city, or I just felt like taking a picture of myself, and I don't give a poo poo about yours, either.

Jastiger posted:

One of the best ways to judge the character of a person is how they react to and treat children. Their own or otherwise

Modifying this just a bit: I go by how they treat people in service to them.. whether it be a waiter/waitress, the cashier at the grocery store, the pizza delivery guy, etc. If you're a dick to the cashier, you're a dick in real life. There's no either/or here. That's not to say that if you're nice to them consistently you're a nice person, but if you're constantly a dick to them, you are 100% guaranteed to be an rear end in a top hat in all aspects of your life.

Also 99% of SA custom-title buyers are chickenshits who hide behind anonymity. If you've got guts enough to buy someone a really embarrassing or degrading custom title, you've got guts enough to publicly own it.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Absolutely. I agree with all your points.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Bellingham? I always feel so bad for them. :( In the US I can tell who's a Canadian at Seattle Premium Outlets etc, we're such smug, oblivious shitheads.

The very same! I'm sure El Estrago Bonito's right and it varies vastly like the US. I mean, I can make the sweeping statement that Americans tend to be pretty friendly towards strangers, but god help you if you try to test that statement in St. Louis or something.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Selfies are the downfall of our society. Nobody loving cares about the 100th picture of you at the grocery store. I have taken exactly zero selfies in my life and I can't think of a situation in which I will ever take one. Nobody gives a poo poo that I got a haircut, I'm in a different city, or I just felt like taking a picture of myself, and I don't give a poo poo about yours, either.
Complaining about "selfies" like as though they're a new phenomenon and not the absolute first thing a camera was ever used for is incredibly dumb. People like taking pictures of themselves and always have. Before cameras were invented, people who could afford it got artists to paint them. Half the reason mirrors exist is just so we can look at ourselves for no more reason than we want to.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

As a person with crippling self esteem issues, I hate the concept of selfies almost as much as I hate myself.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Having a mental illness bad enough does too count as a disability. It may not get you a parking spot but asking for certain adjustments at work so you can do your job is totally reasonable.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tiggum posted:

Complaining about "selfies" like as though they're a new phenomenon and not the absolute first thing a camera was ever used for is incredibly dumb. People like taking pictures of themselves and always have. Before cameras were invented, people who could afford it got artists to paint them. Half the reason mirrors exist is just so we can look at ourselves for no more reason than we want to.

They didn't commission 70 portraits of themselves eating a croissant though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When people say that caffeine or msg or something gives them a headache i think it is bullshit

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Mu Zeta posted:

That's pretty much what I meant.

I don't have much of a problem with "OMG I RAN INTO A CELEBRITY AND WANTED TO GRAB A QUICK PICTURE." That's one circumstance where I'd probably do it. But "photo of person in random place making duckface for 600th time" drives me nuts. It's simply to gain attention that they're so desperately seeking.

BigBallChunkyTime has a new favorite as of 21:56 on Nov 20, 2016

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

zh1 posted:

99% of rap music is horrible garbage for misguided white people to listen to

Yeah, but I will always be grateful to Mr. Cent and co. for convincing my white bogan former co-worker that, in his own words, "I'm a nigga urban thugg gangster, be rolling wid the Bloodz, yo!"

We had hours of fun at his expense.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

bad boy in the boy band posted:

That's pretty much what I meant.

I don't have much of a problem with "OMG I RAN INTO A CELEBRITY AND WANTED TO GRAB A QUICK PICTURE." That's one circumstance where I'd probably do it. But "photo of person in random place making duckface for 600th time" drives me nuts. It's simply to gain attention that they're so desperately seeking.

I will never, ever understand people that feel the need to take pictures of their meals, either. I could understand it if it was something exceptional but most of the time it's just another sandwich or pizza or something.

Granted that was also what turned me off of Twitter. 95% of the posts I saw were on the lines of "I just had lunch it was good!" or "my dog pooped and it was adorable!" Like yeah mundane poo poo happens to all of us all day every day. Please don't make four posts about the sub you had at Subway.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My nephew keeps posting actual :smuggo: selfies and I want to murder him.
Also I did not really like District 9.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
You know what underrated? Gassing out-of-control threads.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mu Zeta posted:

Only because it would have been completely impractical and too expensive even for rich people.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

that was also what turned me off of Twitter. 95% of the posts I saw were on the lines of "I just had lunch it was good!" or "my dog pooped and it was adorable!" Like yeah mundane poo poo happens to all of us all day every day. Please don't make four posts about the sub you had at Subway.
I never see anything like that on Twitter at all. I think people who have this complaint are using the site wrong, treating it like a social networking site rather than a blogging site, and it's terrible as a social networking site because it's not set up to be one at all. You follow people who write things you want to read, not people you know.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff

Saying this, even ironically, is so insufferable. We get it, you don't like rap, you are white as hell.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Tony Bologna posted:

Saying this, even ironically, is so insufferable. We get it, you don't like rap, you are white as hell.

Guilty as charged. I'm glad I managed, however unintentionally, to get you to throw a tantrum in the "Post your unpopular opinion" thread. And why is my race supposed to be intended as an insult?

CONTENT:

I prefer cats over dogs.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Das Boo posted:

The very same! I'm sure El Estrago Bonito's right and it varies vastly like the US. I mean, I can make the sweeping statement that Americans tend to be pretty friendly towards strangers, but god help you if you try to test that statement in St. Louis or something.

Yeah Vancouverites have a terrible reputation across Canada too, and even within Vancouver as I demonstrate. I have to consciously adjust my own behaviour outside of the city, regardless of country, because I'm so used to everyone being assholes.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

gleebster posted:

You know what underrated? Gassing out-of-control threads.

My unpopular opinion is that people are far too liberal with their usage of the word "derail". If it's a thread about dogs and all you're talking about is politics, then yeah it's a derail. If it's a heated discussion with lots of participation, as long as it doesn't break any rules, it's just an active thread. For most people when they say derail they really mean "they're talking about things I don't like to read".

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Tiggum posted:

If you think well done steak is objectively wrong but you like crispy bacon, you are a fool and a hypocrite. Overcooked meat is overcooked; either acknowledge that different tastes are equally valid or stop ruining your bacon.

I'll agree with you that crispy bacon really is overcooked bacon and I prefer it still slightly chewy.

I think the difference between bacon and steak is that bacon is mostly fatty (when talking about American streaky bacon anyway) which lends itself well to cooking, whereas most meats that don't have as much fat in them are better when cooked just enough. In fact, most fattier cuts of steak usually taste better when cooked a little more. If I make a steak that has a nice strip of fat on the side, I also make drat sure that that fat gets nicely cooked.

Related unpopular opinion: I stay away from bacon at brunches and most places where I don't make it myself. Usually the bacon isn't really crisp or even nice and chewy. It always looks like it's been dehydrated and sweaty at the same time and tastes like cardboard. I know it's because they just take a tray and throw it in an oven or whatever, but it always just looks terrible and not worth the caloric value. Scrambled eggs are hit-and-miss.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
LEGO is as good as it has ever been. the many tie-in franchises and universes, like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, The Avengeres and whatever else, isn't going to stifle creativity. a lot of the LEGO franchise stuff is pretty obviously markted at the 80s and 90s kids who are now parents themselves, like, you can get Back to the Future and an A TEAM LEGO van. kids don't care about that & they're going to make up games and create stuff no matter what's on the package that's partially marketed at their parents 80s and 90s nostalgia.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Jastiger posted:

I'd say this is inaccurate for me just because I've seen people treat kids differently depending on if it's their own or otherwise. If someone treats kids like poo poo then they're probably not good people in other ways but if someone avoids or ignores a kid I don't see it as a bad thing, when I've seen people who dote on kids act horribly otherwise. How they treat service/retail members or animals works better for me.

One unpopular opinion I have is that ketchup is a bad condiment and there is always a better option.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tiggum posted:

If you think well done steak is objectively wrong but you like crispy bacon, you are a fool and a hypocrite. Overcooked meat is overcooked; either acknowledge that different tastes are equally valid or stop ruining your bacon.

Crispy bacon, unlike an overdone steak, doesn't have a bone-dry center. Also people actually try to achieve some crust on their steaks, similar to crispy bacon.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also not all meat is exactly the same and can (or should) be prepared in different ways.

Soggy bacon sucks.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There are also different types of bacon. Some of them just taste like ham with a lot of fat on it. Those don't benefit from being too crispy.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

America's holidays mostly suck. They've been transformed into festivals of gluttony focusing largely on material things thanks to marketing. I generally refuse to celebrate them.

America's holidays are awesome they are festivals of gluttony and materialism and it's cool. christmas does not need to control 3 drat months tho that poo poo aint cool

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Fister Roboto posted:

Also not all meat is exactly the same and can (or should) be prepared in different ways.

Soggy bacon sucks.

The right way to cook your meat is how you like eating it. I have no idea why this opinion is so unpopular.

I like my steak extra well done, burnt a bit actually, and then doused in a poo poo load of A1 sauce. I can't stand rare steak at all and think that an overcooked steak with a ton of steak sauce is really, really tasty.

If I'm eating a steak I'm eating it that way and anybody that tells me it's wrong is a jerk. It's my god damned steak I'll eat it how I want to.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Take some white bread and soak it in steak sauce.

Will taste the same, for much less.

My unpopular opinion - we owe it to animals to ensure that their flesh is used in the best way possible. More seriously, though, I do genuinely get angry / sad when people waste meat, either by throwing away leftovers or by letting it spoil, and I think it speaks about their character, it doesn't seem right to be so careless about what used to be a living animal.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 09:34 on Nov 24, 2016

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I like rice and mayonnaise, mixed together.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The right way to cook your meat is how you like eating it. I have no idea why this opinion is so unpopular.

I like my steak extra well done, burnt a bit actually, and then doused in a poo poo load of A1 sauce. I can't stand rare steak at all and think that an overcooked steak with a ton of steak sauce is really, really tasty.

If I'm eating a steak I'm eating it that way and anybody that tells me it's wrong is a jerk. It's my god damned steak I'll eat it how I want to.

Can you tell the difference between different cuts of meat? Why even buy tenderloin if you're going to make it super dry anyway? I mean spend your money however you want but it doesn't make sense to cook all meat the same way.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
poo poo buy hamburger at least then it won't be tough as nails

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

bobjr posted:

One unpopular opinion I have is that ketchup is a bad condiment and there is always a better option.

It is chili sauce.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I hold that it is mayonnaise.

edit: Or anything mixed with mayonnaise, like ketchup.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I see the thread is back to its roots of endless steak+condiment chat.

There's a difference between using condiments/sauces to cover up flavor and using them to enhance flavor. Slathering something halfway to charcoal with A1 is covering up the flavor. That said, "well done" isn't synonymous with overcooked. It's a specific temperature that, if done right, can still be good. The problem is most "chefs" think well done is "leave it on the grill and forget about it for half an hour" because they don't know how to cook it or are babies and throw a tantrum and ruin it intentionally because they want to make a point that people who order well done are "wrong".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
White bread tastes dreadful.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

White bread tastes dreadful.

:golfclap:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Putting posters on ignore is cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Changing behavior or appearanced to appease grandma or dad or uncle whoever to avoid conflict is dumb as hell, especially if you're hosting. The idea that you have to change to avoid conflict is cowardly