Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Most super hero movies are unimaginative and tired garbage and i'm sick to death of them.

Deadpool wasn't any better than the rest of the crop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sloober posted:

Most super hero movies are unimaginative and tired garbage and i'm sick to death of them.

Deadpool wasn't any better than the rest of the crop.

That means you watched them which is hosed up.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

People that continue to knowingly go to the theater to watch boring garbage are themselves a boring and garbage person.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

That means you watched them which is hosed up.

I keep expecting them to be different or better, so yeah. However lately i have avoided seeing them for the reason that they are usually dumb garbage.

Mu Zeta posted:

People that continue to knowingly go to the theater to watch boring garbage are themselves a boring and garbage person.

I never said i wasn't a boring garbage person, FYI.

Sloober has a new favorite as of 22:12 on Nov 30, 2016

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Marijuana kind of sucks.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

hard counter posted:

The comic book format could've been a wonderfully unique form of expression like the other artistic mediums but legislators decided it was for children and created legislation to pretty much enforce that reality. At least for a long time. It's a real shame that happened.

Same but for video games.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Marijuana kind of sucks.

I've had this opinion since I was like 17 and discovered real drugs. I don't hold that against people that like it though. I haven't had to fight off a guy who was just high on pot throwing steak knives around my apartment and doubt I ever will. It really just makes you tired, hungry, and stupid and I don't think that's any worse than any of the other legal drugs that are out there.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've had this opinion since I was like 17 and discovered real drugs. I don't hold that against people that like it though. I haven't had to fight off a guy who was just high on pot throwing steak knives around my apartment and doubt I ever will. It really just makes you tired, hungry, and stupid and I don't think that's any worse than any of the other legal drugs that are out there.

Drugs seem great if you had a good upbringing and practiced the discipline in daily life to become an attentive, productive, and mentally-balanced human being. Otherwise, it seems like a real good way to get double-stuck in the rut you're already in.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Drugs seem great if you had a good upbringing and practiced the discipline in daily life to become an attentive, productive, and mentally-balanced human being. Otherwise, it seems like a real good way to get double-stuck in the rut you're already in.

True, and I did get into a lot of poo poo when I was younger and managed to kick a near decade long heroin addiction, but still, drugs usually aren't the real problem.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I think it's alright that news stations do bit pieces on viral videos and memes once in a while, at least that kind of material ends up being a vaguely positive island in a sea of the usual attention-grabbing doom and gloom news casting, ideally pieces involving more substantial optimism like discussing current advances in science, society, etc would occupy bigger reporting segments tho. I, at least, see that kind of stuff very rarely on my local stations.

MizPiz posted:

Same but for video games.

bigeo games might not be well-regarded but at least their hands weren't legally tied by anything (they did talk about such legislature ~ a decade ago but nothing major came of it) - you could still make a game like spec ops since there isn't anything outright restricting the kind of content/themes you can create - it's just up to a developer somewhere out there to deliver on the promise and produce something that really engages people and ~*lifts*~ the medium. I personally don't think that's happened yet but some people do.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hard counter posted:

bigeo games might not be well-regarded but at least their hands weren't legally tied by anything (they did talk about such legislature ~ a decade ago but nothing major came of it) - you could still make a game like spec ops since there isn't anything outright restricting the kind of content/themes you can create - it's just up to a developer somewhere out there to deliver on the promise and produce something that really engages people and ~*lifts*~ the medium. I personally don't think that's happened yet but some people do.

The Comics Code was not "legal", it was self-censorship. Just like the ratings systems games companies adhere to so they can get sold in shops.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

grittyreboot posted:

-4k/Ultra HD is a scam. The HD TVs we've had for the last 10 years pretty much hit the limit on what the human eye is capable of perceiving.

This depends entirely upon how big the screen is and how far someone is from it. I think it could be argued that the most recent smartphones have hit the limit on what human eyes can perceive, but there's absolutely a visual difference between 1080p smartphones and 1440p ones, so there's definitely going to be a visual difference between 1080p and 4k when blown up to the size of a television.

Maybe you were watching video that wasn't actually encoded in 4k on a 4k television?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Cotton posted:

The Comics Code was not "legal", it was self-censorship. Just like the ratings systems games companies adhere to so they can get sold in shops.

I believe the big publishers (chiefly National Comics and I think MLJ, which subsequently became DC and Archie) were the driving force behind it because a) it was much better to set the terms themselves rather than have them imposed by an outside regulator; and b) it would hurt competitors such as EC whose content tended to be more mature.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't know how it could be argued that it was "self"-censorship or that it wasn't the result of a legislative process (in this case, an alternative to one).

If you wanted general retailers to sell your comic book it needed a CCA stamp, independent distributors weren't popular enough on their own to maintain the industry. If you wanted the stamp and were an independent publisher, you needed to submit a draft to an external committee (run by the ACMP, a body explicitly formed to regulate comic books) who could then arbitrarily dictate changes in exchange for approval, arbitrary because the rules (as written) on restricted/forbidden content was loose, flexible and open to interpretation. A famous example was EC comics going through hell to publish a story about a black astronaut, an idea then offensive to contemporary sensibilities, and the only reason they went through that ordeal was because there was no hope of effective distribution without a general retailer - that's not really indicative of self-censorship. Unlike our modern rating systems, there were no grades in the CCA. The default would've been something like an E or G. Companies like DC and Marvel didn't develop their own in-house rating systems for self-regulation until the 2000s.

e: I guess it's better to make the comparison like this. If you tried to get approval for a game like spec ops under restrictions similar to old comic books ones you'd find dozens of hurdles. There wouldn't be explicit violence for one, or even pictures showing its aftermath - there might not even be weapons period. You can't raise your rating to Mature to avoid these limits. A committee could also object to your themes/motifs being too anti-authoritative, essentially reducing you to square one since even your base concept is unpublishable.

hard counter has a new favorite as of 02:14 on Dec 1, 2016

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

dogs are only okay

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

The Saddest Rhino posted:

dogs are only okay

jfc

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

everyone who has ever posted on or been affiliated with TVtropes in any way, in addition to everyone who has ever used the word or concept of "trope" or engaged in that style of media analysis, should be put to work in chain gangs rebuilding America's infrastructure, then shot and buried en masse in the foundations of that infrastructure

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

threatening violence, rape or death on people on the internet is sociopathic behaviour that should be condemned.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

same goes for people who make weirdly urgent arguments that the reason cape comics suck is the 1950s comics code

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

yeah like my bones weren't going to become dust caking the bottom of some megamall already :jerkbag:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Being wealthy and happy is better than being sad and poor.

But is being poor and happy better than wealthy and sad?

Yes.

Yes it is.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aramek posted:

Being wealthy and happy is better than being sad and poor.

But is being poor and happy better than wealthy and sad?

Yes.

Yes it is.

Don't worry, be happy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can buy happiness

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

You can buy happiness

There's a lot of wealthy sad people who suck at it.

Lemme show'em how it's done. I'll take that burden offa them.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

threatening violence, rape or death on people on the internet is sociopathic behaviour that should be condemned.

So is disliking dogs.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I wanna smooch every dog. Even the ugly ones. Dogs are just that good.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

icantfindaname posted:

everyone who has ever posted on or been affiliated with TVtropes in any way, in addition to everyone who has ever used the word or concept of "trope" or engaged in that style of media analysis, should be put to work in chain gangs rebuilding America's infrastructure, then shot and buried en masse in the foundations of that infrastructure

Having this level of hatred for a website as stupid and useless and ultimately irrelevant as TV Tropes is incredibly unhealthy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well What Now posted:

Having this level of hatred for a website as stupid and useless and ultimately irrelevant as TV Tropes is incredibly unhealthy.

Same, but for anything really.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well What Now posted:

I blame the megathreads dedicated to sites like that where instead of making jokes about stupid people, goons made it into a competition over who could work up the biggest outrage over it. Something about gazing into the abyss or whatever.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Gaining a positive emotion watching kitten videos on the Internet is a sign of weakness in character.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Aramek posted:

I wanna smooch every dog. Even the ugly ones. Dogs are just that good.

heck, me too

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Gaining a positive emotion watching kitten videos on the Internet is a sign of weakness in character.

Glad to be a weak sack of poo poo. Also glad to love dogs.
Pets are great.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

anime is bad.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Aramek posted:

There's a lot of wealthy sad people who suck at it.

Lemme show'em how it's done. I'll take that burden offa them.

It's still possible. Of course some people are uncreative sad sacks

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
Hanna-Barbera cartoons are terrible in almost every way. Yes, even Tom and Jerry.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

hard counter posted:

the anime of music,

What does that even mean??

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

Cuntellectual posted:

It means it's complex, layered, produced to high degree of quality for the most part and while firmly in the mainstream it maintains intimate ties to traditional historical integrity.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Checks out to me.

People who like rare steak deserve to be infested by parasites.

fyad hasn't been as funny since wayne gretzky left.

Having a kid is a waste of the one shot you get at life.

the worst part about climate change is no snow in december.

e: "adult cartoons" like family guy, south park and rick and morty are all tiresome, bland and repetitive.

Cuntellectual has a new favorite as of 16:39 on Dec 2, 2016

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Cuntellectual posted:

i'm guessing it's a jab at the juvenile content and aesthetics of metal bands, or how they're perceived anyway, focusing especially on their histrionic material and delivery that's perhaps more suited to the grosser tastes of teenagers (who insist Linkin Park's Crawling has more complexity and nuance than the whole of western animation other music and plebs just don't get this)

between hair metal and death metal bands, you run the whole gamut of shonen jump fashion tips for young men while typical subject matter in other sub-genres sometimes include dragons and fantasy book allusions, fedora-tipping ballads to Sagan and hot takes on phil 101 concepts to really seize the trenchcoat wearing market by the balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

Immature "counter-culture" for the emotionally stunted who are just smart enough to confuse think their weird nerd thing is legitimately too intellectual for the masses to understand

Disclaimer : I like some metal