Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm so sick and tired of all the Willy Wonka poo poo, I don't think the internet has ever beaten a dead horse harder than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The crappy warehouse in Glasgow Story? Genuinely one of the most hilarious things

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

People talk about blue raspberry, red velvet, pink lemonade, etc. like it's bad to just change the color of something and insist it's a whole new thing. But that's actually great, they should do it more.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

steinrokkan posted:

I'm so sick and tired of all the Willy Wonka poo poo, I don't think the internet has ever beaten a dead horse harder than this.

Shall we soothe you with some billionaire Titanic submarine memes? Or some Barbenheimer? Or that ten foot tall goth lady from whichever video game that everyone went so horny for? Or that "Friday" music video? Or #Kony2012?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

steinrokkan posted:

I am on the Internet and have no idea what you're talking about. I am *aware* there is a new Wonka movie and stars that kid from the Dune movie but beyond that I've not been subjected to anything about Wonka except for the occasional reference to the Gene Wilder film.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

credburn posted:

I am on the Internet and have no idea what you're talking about. I am *aware* there is a new Wonka movie and stars that kid from the Dune movie but beyond that I've not been subjected to anything about Wonka except for the occasional reference to the Gene Wilder film.

Some con artists held a Wonka themed event and it was disappointing compared to their AI-made promo material.

The particular thing people noticed was one poor woman dressed as an Oompa Loompa.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Some con artists held a Wonka themed event and it was disappointing compared to their AI-made promo material.

The particular thing people noticed was one poor woman dressed as an Oompa Loompa.

Is that it? That was a kind of small thing, wasn't it? Or has it "gone viral" as the kids these days say?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I live about an hour from the Willy Wonka thing and it's just hilarious, the fact someone thought you could just chuck a few plastic novelty huge chocolate bars in a warehouse and pay 2 bored teenagers to paint their faces orange and then charge children £35, thirty five loving quid, in this economy, to drink half a cup of lemonade and eat 3 jellybeans and get scared by a literal 16 year old child with a shiny mask on called "The Unknown". That's mind boggling, and incredibly brazen in itself.

Feel a bit bad for the parents and the children but what did they expect turning up to a warehouse on the docks of Glasgow on a cold February weekend? The parents I can't help but see as naïve, for the kids who were disappointed by the event I only hope this serves as a real Kickstarter into the mind of the adult world and how much it will try and exploit and wring every single penny from you.

It's really quite a depressing story about greed, false promises and human exploitation. The only thing that would possibly make it funnier is if the kids were compensated by being taken to the cinema and made to watch Dune 2 so they could get a proper whiplash from "cheap, flimsy experience" to "overblown, pompous nonsense". Whole range of human emotion covered in a day there

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Gripweed posted:

People talk about blue raspberry, red velvet, pink lemonade, etc. like it's bad to just change the color of something and insist it's a whole new thing. But that's actually great, they should do it more.

Well once upon a time pink lemonade meant it had some grapefruit too but that seems to have passed.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Powered Descent posted:

Shall we soothe you with some billionaire Titanic submarine memes? Or some Barbenheimer? Or that ten foot tall goth lady from whichever video game that everyone went so horny for?

Lady Dimitrescu from Resident Evil: Village.

It was pretty disappointing to play the game and find out she's the first boss and then is absent from the rest of the game

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Rick posted:

Well once upon a time pink lemonade meant it had some grapefruit too but that seems to have passed.

Pink lemonade was invented by a guy at a fairground who ran out of clean water and used dirty clown water instead.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

credburn posted:

Is that it? That was a kind of small thing, wasn't it? Or has it "gone viral" as the kids these days say?

It's got a lot more fanart than you'd expect

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Gripweed posted:

Lady Dimitrescu from Resident Evil: Village.

It was pretty disappointing to play the game and find out she's the first boss and then is absent from the rest of the game

You should play Baldur's Gate 3. The same voice actress plays Orin the Red in it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

doverhog posted:

You should play Baldur's Gate 3. The same voice actress plays Orin the Red in it.

I could never get into dating games

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Unfortunately you can't date her, though it has been requested.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gripweed posted:

I could never get into dating games

That part's completely optional. It's more about whether you like (a modified version of) D&D's combat system, because that's the majority of the game. The stuff around the combat is very well done and contributes a huge amount to what makes the game good, but if you just don't like the combat system then you're not going to get far.

Great game though. I've finished it twice and started a third time.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The combat is great and all, but the story with all the companions you can date (or not) is also a big part of it. There is actual good writing and acting in there.

Orin the Red though is a shapeshifting demigoddess of murder, the lash of bhaal, that no matter how much you want want will never date you. :(

doverhog has a new favorite as of 09:37 on Mar 9, 2024

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Instead of complaining about Neil DeGrasse Tyson’s dumb nitpicks of sci-fi movies, people should just ignore him. The media would stop boosting him if it stopped getting interaction

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

thetoughestbean posted:

Instead of complaining about Neil DeGrasse Tyson’s dumb nitpicks of sci-fi movies, people should just ignore him. The media would stop boosting him if it stopped getting interaction

The classic ignore the problem and it will go away strategy.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone who voted for Stone should be forcibly removed from the academy and preferably this planet.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Atticus_1354 posted:

The classic ignore the problem and it will go away strategy.

When the problem is people giving annoying assholes attention, yes, ignoring them solves the problem

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

thetoughestbean posted:

When the problem is people giving annoying assholes attention, yes, ignoring them solves the problem

Yes, if everyone ignores him, he goes away. But if you think he's famous because people know he's wrong, then you're in for a big surprise

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

thetoughestbean posted:

Who's that? I don't pay any attention to him. Doing my part.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

A British knighthood should come with a legal requirement to train and equip a company of men. The British army should be largely dissolved during times of peace because if conflict arises they can rely on these knight companies to serve as Britain’s first line of defense

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
a Military loyal to their local warlord, instead of state is such a good, stable system.

I hope King gets to keep his own battalion(s) to guard against a coup?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Issaries posted:

a Military loyal to their local warlord, instead of state is such a good, stable system.

I hope King gets to keep his own battalion(s) to guard against a coup?

I doubt Stephen Fry is going to try to overthrow the king. But if he did, I think that’s the exact kind of innovation and dynamism the British government is in severe need of.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Gripweed posted:

I doubt Stephen Fry is going to try to overthrow the king. But if he did, I think that’s the exact kind of innovation and dynamism the British government is in severe need of.

Would he be King Fry or King Stephen?

I vote For King Fry the 1st

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Jen heir rick posted:

Who's that? I don't pay any attention to him. Doing my part.

Good man

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I only experience Neil DeGrasse Tyson in the form of Youtube shorts and I find him quite likeable, not quite as likeable as the irish guy that makes woodwork with historic techniques but much more likeable than those irritating Australians that get drunk and make bad jokes

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

That's just having a bit of charisma.
Most of the other pop-sci guys have either charisma of a dead fish or peddle quackery like aliens build pyramids.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Issaries posted:

Would he be King Fry or King Stephen?

I vote For King Fry the 1st

King Stephen (unless he chose a different name). English monarchs don't have surnames, so his name would just be Stephen John. He would presumably be the first monarch of the House of Fry, though, as Charles is of the House of Windsor, which is like a surname but not.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Give Sir Patrick Stewart the HMS Queen Elizabeth, and Sir Ian McKellen the HMS Prince of Wales, and let them turn them into delightful party barges.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Powered Descent posted:

Give Sir Patrick Stewart the HMS Queen Elizabeth, and Sir Ian McKellen the HMS Prince of Wales, and let them turn them into delightful party barges.

Both of those guys are insanely old. I wouldn’t force any responsibility on them greater than the equipping and training of a company of men under arms.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Instead of banning Tiktok, they should ban Youtube Shorts. Because those suck!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Gripweed posted:

Instead of banning Tiktok, they should ban Youtube Shorts. Because those suck!

Hey, let me ask a question about YouTube shorts. I'm not really a YouTube person, but to me, Shorts are exactly the same as a regular YouTube video but with some features taken away. They must do something. Do they integrate in a different way with Facebook or something? What exactly is a "short" as opposed to a "video" and why would I ever want to view a short in lieu of a video?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

credburn posted:

Hey, let me ask a question about YouTube shorts. I'm not really a YouTube person, but to me, Shorts are exactly the same as a regular YouTube video but with some features taken away. They must do something. Do they integrate in a different way with Facebook or something? What exactly is a "short" as opposed to a "video" and why would I ever want to view a short in lieu of a video?

YouTube, like every other site, is trying to be TikTok because that's what's popular now. That's all the explanation there is. It won't work because TikTok already exists and it makes YouTube worse at the thing people actually go to YouTube for, but that's the point of it.

You can use something like Enhancer for YouTube to automatically convert them into normal YouTube videos, or do so manually by editing the URL to the normalyoutube video format, eg. take a URL like https://www.youtube.com/shorts/QRofTihf48Q and change it to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRofTihf48Q.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Tiggum posted:

YouTube, like every other site, is trying to be TikTok because that's what's popular now. That's all the explanation there is. It won't work because TikTok already exists and it makes YouTube worse at the thing people actually go to YouTube for, but that's the point of it.

You can use something like Enhancer for YouTube to automatically convert them into normal YouTube videos, or do so manually by editing the URL to the normalyoutube video format, eg. take a URL like https://www.youtube.com/shorts/QRofTihf48Q and change it to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRofTihf48Q.

I know there are workarounds, but what I really don't get is what Shorts do. If you were trying to pitch me, a YouTube exec, Shorts, what would you say? Because "it's just like a regular video but it takes away features like volume and timeline control" isn't a selling point. It must do something else.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

credburn posted:

I know there are workarounds, but what I really don't get is what Shorts do. If you were trying to pitch me, a YouTube exec, Shorts, what would you say? Because "it's just like a regular video but it takes away features like volume and timeline control" isn't a selling point. It must do something else.

That's the beauty of it, it doesn't do anything!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gripweed posted:

As criminal convictions or other public misdeeds are common grounds for the revocation of knighthood, I doubt Stephen Fry will be receiving a knighthood on account of having been in prison for three months in his youth. Which is a shame, because he definitely deserves one more than Harvey Weinstein did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I often wondered why Stephen Fry was never knighted while Hugh Laurie was and it always comes back to that criminal conviction. But he did get some fun anecdotes about the quirks of prison life he got to share on QI and that's a lot more memorable in my book.