Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

oldpainless posted:

Oh yeah? Give three reasons why

1) they make all our stuff
2) if it turns into a regular war they could easily defeat us because they can make way more stuff than we can
3) they’re getting pretty good at movies and I want to watch more of their movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Oh yeah? Give three reasons why

fallout

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gripweed posted:

2) if it turns into a regular war they could easily defeat us because they can make way more stuff than we can

lol. Lmao

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What’s the counterpoint? The élan of American troops will be enough to overcome a force with vastly superior manpower and productive capacity?

Because a lot of countries have thought that in the past, and it doesn’t have a great track record.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gripweed posted:

What’s the counterpoint? The élan of American troops will be enough to overcome a force with vastly superior manpower and productive capacity?
Where is this fight taking place?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Where is this fight taking place?

If it comes to actual shooting presumably it would be in the South China Sea.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
“Easily defeat” is laughable, but the US losing a long term war could happen. It won’t, but it could. I really doubt the US and China ever come to blows though. We’ve got too good of a frenemy relationship to mess it up with actual violence.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gripweed posted:

Because a lot of countries have thought that in the past, and it doesn’t have a great track record.

Lol. Lmao

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
It's not like they could teleport troops to the US mainland. China having a ton of people isn't really much of a threat in and of itself.

War is bad though, we should definitely avoid that

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Rubber Chicken posted:

War is bad though, we should definitely avoid that

Pretty much

Edit: I don’t think a war would be good in any way, I just think Gripweed doesn’t operate in reality besides what he wants to be true

thetoughestbean has a new favorite as of 20:56 on Apr 26, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

thetoughestbean posted:

Pretty much

Edit: I don’t think a war would be good in any way, I just think Gripweed doesn’t operate in reality besides what he wants to be true

I said China has more guys and can make more stuff than America. What part of that do you think is disconnected from reality?

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
The US couldn't defeat the Taliban and Vietnam. How would it defeat China?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

The US couldn't defeat the Taliban and Vietnam. How would it defeat China?

China also lost to Vietnam

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

thetoughestbean posted:

China also lost to Vietnam

So did COVID. Don't gently caress with Vietnam.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Gripweed posted:

I said China has more guys and can make more stuff than America. What part of that do you think is disconnected from reality?

lol. lmao.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Much like Gripweed, China also thought they could easily take the US and made very aggressive moves towards Taiwan as a result.

What they did not expect was to see outdated American surplus equipment allowing a much smaller and unprepared Ukraine to fight a much larger and more well-armed Russia to a near standstill. So, unsurprisingly, China felt the need to stop and reassess their actual chances.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
That is certainly one interpretation. Got any actual evidence for it or just going "I reckon"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Runa posted:

Much like Gripweed, China also thought they could easily take the US and made very aggressive moves towards Taiwan as a result.

What they did not expect was to see outdated American surplus equipment allowing a much smaller and unprepared Ukraine to fight a much larger and more well-armed Russia to a near standstill. So, unsurprisingly, China felt the need to stop and reassess their actual chances.

That doesn’t seem accurate. China did military exercises near Taiwan just last year.

Edit: and Taiwan and Ukraine aren’t really comparable. Russia can’t blockade Ukraine. China could fully blockade Taiwan in 24 hours. All that outdated American equipment doesn’t matter when it can’t get to the place it’s supposed to go. So I don’t understand why you think China thinks Taiwan would be another Ukraine.

Gripweed has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Apr 26, 2024

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well, when China attacks that'll be egg on my face, that's for sure.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My opinion, Thunderbolt Fantasy, a puppet show from Taiwan, is better than most of the Chinese movies that I can catch on Netflix.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Runa posted:

My opinion, Thunderbolt Fantasy, a puppet show from Taiwan, is better than most of the Chinese movies that I can catch on Netflix.

:hmmyes:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Gripweed posted:

That doesn’t seem accurate. China did military exercises near Taiwan just last year.

Edit: and Taiwan and Ukraine aren’t really comparable. Russia can’t blockade Ukraine. China could fully blockade Taiwan in 24 hours. All that outdated American equipment doesn’t matter when it can’t get to the place it’s supposed to go. So I don’t understand why you think China thinks Taiwan would be another Ukraine.

oh my god you aren't trolling

that's way funnier

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

to be only slightly less dismissive, let me expand on this slightly

both economic performance and military performance hinge on a lot of coordination and communication expertises. china has a lot of problems with these expertises. you can see this in things like the chinese GDP constantly being revised downward from publicly released numbers because there is a giant, overriding problem with communication in China: it is outright incentivized to lie to your superiors in many cases, both civilian and state. there are more effects. but frankly, what i am talking about is so fundamental to understanding the situation that i genuinely mistook gripweed's position as a low-effort troll. the edit convinced me otherwise. at any rate, though, i'll wait until someone actually gives a considered, nuanced explanation as to why china is rising and will take the crown of the world this time, for serious bro, before i devote any more words to the topic.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
China is a garbage barely functional country, but so is America and the EU.

Any claim to superiority the west used to have is lost with how they have failed to support Ukraine enough for the war to end in a decisive Russian loss.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Coolguye posted:

to be only slightly less dismissive, let me expand on this slightly

both economic performance and military performance hinge on a lot of coordination and communication expertises. china has a lot of problems with these expertises. you can see this in things like the chinese GDP constantly being revised downward from publicly released numbers because there is a giant, overriding problem with communication in China: it is outright incentivized to lie to your superiors in many cases, both civilian and state. there are more effects. but frankly, what i am talking about is so fundamental to understanding the situation that i genuinely mistook gripweed's position as a low-effort troll. the edit convinced me otherwise. at any rate, though, i'll wait until someone actually gives a considered, nuanced explanation as to why china is rising and will take the crown of the world this time, for serious bro, before i devote any more words to the topic.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. China's culture is inferior to our own, that is why they can never defeat us. That is an interesting take.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The pathetic weakness of the west has been on display for years now. They support Ukraine but keep letting Russia to fund the war with oil sales. The US made it a partisan issue in their failing political system, but they are still better than the EU, where there are states (Germany) and parties in favor of the new Hitler, Putin.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. China's culture is inferior to our own, that is why they can never defeat us. That is an interesting take.

lol that isn't what i said and it's extremely telling that you read it like that

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

doverhog posted:

Any claim to superiority the west used to have is lost with how they have failed to support Ukraine enough for the war to end in a decisive Russian loss.

Moral superiority, sure

But I think you'd find the US a bit more ready to blow poo poo up if they were the ones directly attacked

Using politicized Ukraine aid to extrapolate US war capability is going to give you interesting but very wrong projections

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Coolguye posted:

lol that isn't what i said and it's extremely telling that you read it like that

I'm not sure how to take "the Chinese would not be able to win a war against us because they are incentivized to lie at every level of their society" as anything other than a suggestion that Chinese culture is inferior to our own.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I'm not sure how to take "the Chinese would not be able to win a war against us because they are incentivized to lie at every level of their society" as anything other than a suggestion that Chinese culture is inferior to our own.

i didn't say that either

yap yap yap

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I read it as more of a statement about dysfunction in China's civil and military administrative structure, myself.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Runa posted:

I read it as more of a statement about dysfunction in China's civil and military administrative structure, myself.

I can't believe that's what coolguye meant, because that would suggest that they believe America doesn't have similar or greater levels of dysfunction in our own civil and military administrative structure. And if they really meant that, well, smashcut to montage of the last ten years of American history.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I can't believe that's what coolguye meant, because that would suggest that they believe America doesn't have similar or greater levels of dysfunction in our own civil and military administrative structure. And if they really meant that, well, smashcut to montage of the last ten years of American history.

lol. lmao.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
US Civilian leadership is a mess but the war machine, once activated, wouldn't Care in the slightest

:cmon:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Rubber Chicken posted:

Moral superiority, sure

But I think you'd find the US a bit more ready to blow poo poo up if they were the ones directly attacked

Using politicized Ukraine aid to extrapolate US war capability is going to give you interesting but very wrong projections

What is a direct attack? Attack against a NATO member? Or does it have to be on the mainland.

Attack against someone in the sphere of influence was not enough clearly.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Rubber Chicken posted:

US Civilian leadership is a mess but the war machine, once activated, wouldn't Care in the slightest

:cmon:

How does this war machine activate or be directed?

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
The US empire is decaying in real time, and its most fervent supporters can only lol and lmao instead of acknowledging reality. It's sad to see.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Okay now you're just making things weird.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I liked the Fallout show overall, but the Ghoul character seemed to have too much plot armor.

It makes sense that he'd survive 200 years if he has this level of plot armor, but if I was writing a show and wanted to make those scenes make sense I'd have him sold his soul to the devil to buy a protection spell, or I guess the scenes could have been directed or shot different.

Otherwise, it makes no sense how many times his enemies that have him in their sights just wait for him to stop talking, and then he shoots them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

doverhog posted:

I liked the Fallout show overall, but the Ghoul character seemed to have too much plot armor.

It makes sense that he'd survive 200 years if he has this level of plot armor, but if I was writing a show and wanted to make those scenes make sense I'd have him sold his soul to the devil to buy a protection spell, or I guess the scenes could have been directed or shot different.

Otherwise, it makes no sense how many times his enemies that have him in their sights just wait for him to stop talking, and then he shoots them.

It's cause he's a movie star, that's how it works