Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I can see that as the idea now that you mention it. When watching it, it didn't seem to mesh with the rest of the tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Coolguye posted:

both economic performance and military performance hinge on a lot of coordination and communication expertises. china has a lot of problems with these expertises. you can see this in things like the chinese GDP constantly being revised downward from publicly released numbers because there is a giant, overriding problem with communication in China: it is outright incentivized to lie to your superiors in many cases, both civilian and state.

I don't have a horse in the China versus America poo poo but, is that not also the case in the United States of America?

The first incident that comes to mind is the scandal with nuclear silo staff a few years back

theres also uhhh, generals lying to everyone and each other. generals lying to congress.

Notably, all of this was pre-Trump.

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 03:43 on Apr 28, 2024

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Like I don't know what kind of dysfunction it is when the entire country goes to war for a decade and a half over a big bag of lies, long enough that there were press reports about their equipment failing lmao, but it sure seems reasonably significant?

And theres been some recent reports about equipment failures, plumbing failures, what have you

Pure lol at this:

quote:

Crewmembers serving aboard (...) the U.S. Navy’s newest nuclear-powered supercarrier, have had to deal with toilets that clog frequently. The matter, which had also impacted the final Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush (CVN-77), has been ongoing, and requires the sewage systems – similar to those on commercial aircraft – to be treated with an acid flush on a more regular basis.

However, each time that costs around $400,000.

And also this, from this article about failures in equipment sent to Ukraine (the entire article is kind of wild to be honest):

quote:

The 401st’s logisticians in Kuwait had previously rated 28 of their 29 M1167 Humvees as fit for use. The M1167 is an up-armored version of the Army’s standard utility vehicle that carries an anti-tank missile launcher.

When the military ordered the 401st to send all 29 vehicles, though, the unit found that 26 of the vehicles were non-functional. Among the vehicle problems were dead batteries, fluid leaks, and faulty gauges.

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 03:49 on Apr 28, 2024

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
People could report and openly say that the government lied, which kinda puts it on a different level than the CCP

The idea that the US military is a well oiled machine that never fucks up is ridiculous, but the scale of the dysfunction vs the level of dysfunction created by the authoritarian nature of the CCP are orders of magnitude different

thetoughestbean has a new favorite as of 03:51 on Apr 28, 2024

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
PHUO: Organized fandom is probably the worst way to enjoy/discuss a franchise or piece of media. It actively makes fans understand the characters/themes worse than if they hadn’t been a part of the fandom, and it’s pretty annoying to boot

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

PHUO: Organized fandom is probably the worst way to enjoy/discuss a franchise or piece of media. It actively makes fans understand the characters/themes worse than if they hadn’t been a part of the fandom, and it’s pretty annoying to boot

Yeah probably

This troper agrees

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I think we should be friends with china. You know, just chill and have some wontons and mapo tofu and stuff.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

doverhog posted:

I liked the Fallout show overall, but the Ghoul character seemed to have too much plot armor.

It makes sense that he'd survive 200 years if he has this level of plot armor, but if I was writing a show and wanted to make those scenes make sense I'd have him sold his soul to the devil to buy a protection spell, or I guess the scenes could have been directed or shot different.

Otherwise, it makes no sense how many times his enemies that have him in their sights just wait for him to stop talking, and then he shoots them.

He's been around for 200 years so he's like level 100 by now.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

If Disney wants to revitalize the MCU, they need to drop the Kang storyline, put the multiverse stuff to the side, and go back to basics. Create an easy to understand hook that gets people interested again; vampires. Make the bad guy in every MCU movie a vampire. People would watch superheroes vs vampires. And the new Thanos, the new big bad guy they’re building up for the ultimate showdown? That’s right, it’s Dracula.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MCU ain't ever coming back thank God. What we need is for Sony to stop being brain dead and give us Raimi Spiderman 4 and more Spider verse animation. gently caress it, give Garfield another film too

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Spider-Man vs a vampire.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Gripweed posted:

Spider-Man vs a vampire.

A living vampire, perhaps?

It’s morbin’ time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gripweed posted:

If Disney wants to revitalize the MCU, they need to drop the Kang storyline, put the multiverse stuff to the side, and go back to basics. Create an easy to understand hook that gets people interested again; vampires. Make the bad guy in every MCU movie a vampire. People would watch superheroes vs vampires. And the new Thanos, the new big bad guy they’re building up for the ultimate showdown? That’s right, it’s Dracula.

The Blade movie has been in development hell for years and you think they could do more vampires?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

And it's in completion with Coogler's new film.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Blade movie has been in development hell for years and you think they could do more vampires?

Yes. Have Blade be like the anti-Thanos, the good guy they build up so everybody’s excited to see him finally throw down

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think scrambled eggs taste better with a bit of a maillard reaction so I prefer them slightly browned

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Runa posted:

I think scrambled eggs taste better with a bit of a maillard reaction so I prefer them slightly browned

Yuck

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Scrambled eggs are like mash in that they are a bad use of their ingredients.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
What is "mash" ?

I assume this is like when an American says "a pickle" they mean a pickled cucumber, but lots of things can be mashed

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rubber Chicken posted:

What is "mash" ?

I assume this is like when an American says "a pickle" they mean a pickled cucumber, but lots of things can be mashed

I didn't say what kind of animal made the egg either.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Scrambled eggs are like mash in that they are a bad use of their ingredients.

This isn't an unpopular opinion, it's an insane opinion. Mashed is possibly the best way to eat potatoes, and while scrambled eggs can't hold a candle to devilled eggs, they're still great.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Tiggum posted:

This isn't an unpopular opinion, it's an insane opinion. Mashed is possibly the best way to eat potatoes, and while scrambled eggs can't hold a candle to devilled eggs, they're still great.

My unpopular opinion is that colcannon and cabbage in general is underrated. It deserves more love.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Scrambled eggs are fast and easy to make.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I started ordering scrambled eggs when I was a kid because saying “wreck ‘em” was fun at restaurants. I still order them that way because it rules.

I don’t even particularly like scrambled eggs (over easy is the best).

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Runa posted:

you could just suck on a mouthful of old pennies instead of stinking up the place, you freak

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Robobot posted:

I started ordering scrambled eggs when I was a kid because saying “wreck ‘em” was fun at restaurants. I still order them that way because it rules.

I don’t even particularly like scrambled eggs (over easy is the best).

The ideal diner egg order is "sunny side down".

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Muscle Tracer posted:

“Blind ‘em”. Just really need that “em” in your egg order.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Mashed, scrambled, ground... I only eat food where chewing is performative.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Outwaters is a terrible movie.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

pretty sure that's just an over easy

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I don't mind it when people microwave fish in the company break room and everyone who can't stand the smell are just wimps.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Runny eggs aren’t that good for dipping and eggs are better as food than drink. IMO eggs are best cooked medium at least, I can find some other sauce for my dipping needs.

thetoughestbean posted:

Just hearing someone use the word fandom lets me know they are crazy

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tiggum posted:

I love mashed potatoes too but the roasted ones I just made would like a word

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Snowy posted:

Just hearing someone use the word fandom lets me know they are crazy

It's gotten worse than that. I once stumbled upon the phrase "those outside the fandom". I knew then that fan culture had to be destroyed

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

It's gotten worse than that. I once stumbled upon the phrase "those outside the fandom". I knew then that fan culture had to be destroyed

Fan Death ain’t just for Korea no more!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

“The community” is like that too

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Says the goon in the goon community.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think at this point SA has to relinquish the word "goon"

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The opposite, we must cling to it even harder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The refined crust that remains after time and processing. The ultimate goon.