Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008

Dross posted:

Not as insufferable as people who say this, because no one takes astrology seriously except people who are determined to make sure no one takes astrology seriously

Nah, the people who say that have a True Believer in their circle and hate it but like them otherwise.

Unpop Opinion: Care should radiate outwards. My family's health and stability comes before my neighborhood's, which comes before my town/city, which comes before my state's, which comes before my country, which comes before everything else.

Fix things in that order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Dross posted:

Not as insufferable as people who say this, because no one takes astrology seriously except people who are determined to make sure no one takes astrology seriously

People do, don't be ignorant

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Midig posted:

In that case CASL or CASSEL. Both work and are consistent with the sound of the letters.

Why on earth C instead of K?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
C should be pronounced "Ch" and all extant instances of C should be replaced with S or K, depending

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why on earth C instead of K?

True. It's hard to shake off old habits.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You don't pronounce the t and there sure as hell ain't no r sound.
There's no R sound but there's an AR sound. Well, not the way I say it, but the way some people say it.

Dross posted:

People who don't believe in astrology but insist on reading you your horoscope out of the paper anyway are insufferable.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If you're not pronouncing your hidden r's you're not posh or British enough.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tiggum posted:

There's no R sound but there's an AR sound.

Uggggggggggh :rolleyes: I wonder if the hosed up orthography is the main reason why anglophones have really messed-up ideas about how spoken and written language are related (and linguitics in general, especially phonetics)?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I one heard an Aussie say Australia, and they put an r sound at the end.

Australiar.

It was weird and gross.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Australian people also put rotten fermented beer leftovers on bread for breakfast

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I actually don't mind that stuff.

Every culture has lots of weird and gross food that they enjoy. And we owe it to them to try them all. Even the really lousy cultures.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aramek posted:

Every culture has lots of weird and gross food that they enjoy. And we owe it to them to try them all. Even the really lousy cultures.

No, I will not try New York pizza :barf:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Mu Zeta posted:

Australian people also put rotten fermented beer leftovers on bread for breakfast

Australia will forever be my enemy because of that one girl who mailed me some vegemite and told me the proper way to eat it is with a spoon. This was way back when the internet sucked so i couldn't just google "how to eat vegemite" just to be sure.

Also if you think nobody takes astrology seriously, try doing a public outreach event as an astronomer. At least half of the questions you get will be asking about their sign and what angle mars is making with the fifth house or whatever. They will also constantly call you an astrologer/astrologist and think it's so cool that we basically get to tell the future for a living.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

CowboyKid posted:

Nah, the people who say that have a True Believer in their circle and hate it but like them otherwise.

Unpop Opinion: Care should radiate outwards. My family's health and stability comes before my neighborhood's, which comes before my town/city, which comes before my state's, which comes before my country, which comes before everything else.

Fix things in that order.

Ok, but you do realize that fixing it in the national level helps everyone including you and yours right? I don't give a poo poo about many people outside of my family either, but the country isn't going to band together to help Solice's grandma because she had a stroke out of caring, they'll do it because they paid in and when it's theirs I'll have paid in too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pizza should generally be eaten with a knife and fork.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Aramek posted:

If there's one thing I;ve learnt, a lousy culture just gives you a lousy yogurt.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Pizza should generally be eaten with a knife and fork.

Even though I don't do it, I'm okay with people using a fork and knife to eat pizza.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Giving a poo poo about how other people eat, with the one important exception of eating with one's mouth open, is a sign of mental illness.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I'm uninterested in how you eat, unless it's how you eat rear end.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Caufman posted:

*fervorous rear end eating sounds*
Caufman: "Hey dude really like how---"*YOSPOS guy burts into room shouting "OOGA BOOGA WHERE THE COMPUTERS AT?!"*

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
This is possibly slightly off-topic, but this thread has gone on for long enough that I figured it'd be interesting to hear, if anyone has happened to change any of their previously posted opinions. I've changed my mind about flu shots being worthwhile. Tbh, I just never really considered the importance of preventing the passing on of contagion to people with compromised immune-systems.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Giving a poo poo about how other people eat, with the one important exception of eating with one's mouth open, is a sign of mental illness.

It can be wildly out of proportion and unfair, but a knee-jerk reaction of judging people on their eating habits makes a lot of sense, imo.

Sharing a meal is such a fundamental aspect of socializing, that being unable to conform to basic rules of etiquette is a fairly strong indicator of anti-social behavior, and as a result, may parse as off-putting or unsympathetic in a very base way. It is stupid, of course, to give people grief about not managing to conquer an acquired taste, but there is a strong correlation between people who are notoriously picky eaters, and people who are emotionally or socially stunted. Regardless of whether that is true or not for a given person; that does not make them worth less than anyone else, but it is still a social clue or tell that can be as strong as someone having bad hygiene, or being unwilling to conform in other basic ways.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Caufman posted:

Any tips for me?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Hey whoa hey, I said I'm interested, not that I'm some kind of expert advice service. If you're getting negative feedback on your rear end-eating, that's all on you; I wash my rear end clean of it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Caufman posted:

Even though I don't do it, I'm okay with people using a fork and knife to eat pizza.

I think it can be pretty messy as finger food.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think it can be pretty messy as finger food.

"Pizza" is a pretty wide-ranging thing in this context. Chicago pizza should be eaten with knife and fork. New York pizza is finger food.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Likewise, most burgers beyond the basic cheeseburger are easier to eat with a knife and fork.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Burgers or sandwiches that are too big to fit comfortably in the mouth are failures. If you're going to do that just make them open faced.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jerry Cotton posted:

Uggggggggggh :rolleyes: I wonder if the hosed up orthography is the main reason why anglophones have really messed-up ideas about how spoken and written language are related (and linguitics in general, especially phonetics)?

Tiggum and his ilk aren't anglophones, hth

Also, almost anything is better eaten with a knife and fork, except chicago and new york pizza, neither of which should be eaten.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 16:21 on Sep 8, 2017

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, almost anything is better eaten with a knife and fork,

Your rear end-eating technique is extreme. Thumbs up!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Oh, and the "everywhere in Texas is a wasteland except Austin" thing is totally stupid, especially nowadays. Austin's kind of a gentrified shithole now and if you really want the "weird Austin" experience Denton is better. Austin's good for live shows and that's about it.

Texas is evolving and it's at a point where it votes conservative at smaller margins than Ohio does. Huge swathes of the population hate the GOP stranglehold on state government and not just in Austin or anywhere else stereotypically liberal. This is the 2nd-largest state and growing, and it really shouldn't be written off or stereotyped.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Denton isn't weird, it's just full of drunken college students and the roads are poo poo

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Oh, and the "everywhere in Texas is a wasteland except Austin" thing

My personal impression was "everywhere in Texas is a wasteland, especially Austin". Smelled like piss everywhere.

My probably unpopular opinion, especially with our resident Iowa fanatic, is that New Mexico is the best state. In the north of it you have really nice places to live/work, and in the south you have really cool things like white sands national monument and carlsbad caverns. Driving from north to south through roswell is a bit dull though, but nothing nearly as dull as driving from houston to oklahoma was. Texas scenery is nothing but brown with oil pumps here and there.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Houston to Oklahoma, lol

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

spit on my clit posted:

doctors should be able to provide whatever medicine can help their patients not live in constant pain or even die without the government screaming at them because it raised the patient's risk of cancer from .000000000001 to .000000000002

Nanny state bullshit is usually less that some random bureaucrat got a bug up their rear end and started screaming about it and more that the bureaucrats caved to appease the masses of people screaming about it.

The government gives zero shits if your medicine has potentially lethal side effects, it just got sick of having to intercede every time there was a dispute because OH MY GOD GRANDMA IS DEAD HOW COULD YOU GIVE HER THAT MEDICINE DON'T YOU KNOW WHAT IT DOES IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT YOU KILLED GRANNIE

Some regulations are there because someone wanted to stake out an ideological position but most of them are there because there was public outcry they didn't want to deal with.

EDIT: For another example, my dad became a grandfather a couple years ago and was griping about how stringent car seat rules were these days and how long you had to keep your kids in car seats and how often you had to replace them, and you can't just give them off as hand-me-downs or put them up at a garage sale like the old days because no one wants used car seats and they might actually be illegal and so on.

So he spent a couple months on an anti-regulation tirade complaining about the government... which lasted until he thought to speak out about it online and promptly got eviscerated by the mommy blogger crowd about how the laws don't go nearly far enough and the way other parents skimp on car seats is basically tantamount to murder.

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 17:27 on Sep 8, 2017

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Straight White Shark posted:

Nanny state bullshit is usually less that some random bureaucrat got a bug up their rear end and started screaming about it and more that the bureaucrats caved to appease the masses of people screaming about it.

The government gives zero shits if your medicine has potentially lethal side effects, it just got sick of having to intercede every time there was a dispute because OH MY GOD GRANDMA IS DEAD HOW COULD YOU GIVE HER THAT MEDICINE DON'T YOU KNOW WHAT IT DOES IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT YOU KILLED GRANNIE

Some regulations are there because someone wanted to stake out an ideological position but most of them are there because there was public outcry they didn't want to deal with.

This is called democracy. Divine right monarchy would be better only god doesn't exist so it's kind of a non starter...

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% in favor of it. It's just that people tend to look at regulations as evil big government trampling the rights of the little guy when, in fact, most regulations are the little guys banding together to keep from being trampled.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Regulations are good because the people need to be guided and controlled into doing what they're supposed to.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Agreed.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Aramek posted:

Regulations are good because the people need to be guided and controlled into doing what they're supposed to.

That's not what regulations do though. What businesses are "supposed to" do is make profits. Regulations hinder them from doing their job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Being drunk doesn't excuse anything.