Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Even if you're adjusting the grading curve because it's a kids' movie, The Goonies is only "okay" at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Caufman posted:

I prefer not to be referred to by any pronouns
And yet here we are. Sorry, here these two are.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
On the subject of comedians who are more angry than funny, Bill Hicks went his entire goddamn career without telling an actual joke.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

doverhog posted:

The best jokes are not actually funny, or intended to be so, but rather question how we think. Think of them as performance art. That's the basis for my posting anyway. :coolfish:

Counterpoint: BOOOO, GET OFF THE STAGE

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Just watched Lawrence of Arabia for the first time. It was a gorgeous vacation slideshow, but it was boring and missed the point of "motion pictures." I would happily spend 30 minutes appreciating the photo gallery that the movie actually wants to be.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Think you're looking for meringue.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
If you live in the US, there's not really a good excuse for not learning English.

If you live in the Western Hemisphere, there's not really a good excuse for not learning Spanish.

ETA: I absolutely cannot speak Spanish.

Nameless Pete has a new favorite as of 05:37 on Jun 29, 2020

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
If Benjamin Franklin were still alive today he'd be trying to explain away why he's in so many photos with Jeffrey Epstein.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Shark Week should only be held once every four years, like the Olympics. With an alternating Wolf Week two years after that.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I like the modern day stuff in Assassin's Creed. I would totally play a spin-off set in the present day universe. Bring it back to the stealth roots by giving all the guards automatic weapons that just completely shred you when spotted. Set it in like São Paulo or something.

Edit: Actually, forget São Paulo. I wanna jump off the Burj Dubai into a conveniently placed pile of lawn trimmings.

Nameless Pete has a new favorite as of 12:53 on Nov 23, 2020

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Bell peppers bring shame on the rest of the capsicum genus.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Martin Luther King Jr. has become a straight-up Messianic figure in the eyes of a lot of people who see his assassination as somehow being the sacrificial act that cleansed the nation of the original sin of racism. To the point that I worry the myth has become counter-productive to his goals, both as a social reformer and as an actual reverend. Unfortunately, any argument starting with "here's why MLK needs to be taken down a peg or two," is going to be a non-starter for some obvious reasons and would be immediately co-opted by bad actors.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
For being the central MacGuffin for multiple books, the One Ring doesn't even do anything particularly interesting. If I'm an evil wizard with an army of monsters, what advantages does temporary invisibility actually grant me? Getting inside places I'm not allowed? That's what the orcs are for, dummy.

It's like the Magic Cape in the SNES Zelda; nice to have, but the least essential thing in your arsenal. Give Frodo a magic boomerang it something.

Nameless Pete has a new favorite as of 01:52 on Jan 23, 2021

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Welp, I can admit when I'm wrong. I still find it unimpressive by magic ring standards. Aladdin's ring had a genie who could pick up a castle and plop it ontop of a mountain; that's my baseline.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
People who make a big show of being repulsed by ranch dressing are classist.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Badactura posted:

I don't understand following a celebrity chef, do people like looking at the food they make? Are you all secretly rich and eat celebrity chef food? Is it like a school of food thing where you seek to emulate their cooking style?

Similarly, what exactly is the point of televising the Tony Awards? Do people at home get upset when a play they never saw loses to another play they never saw because they aren't millionaire Manhattanites? Sometimes the show you will never personally experience has a movie actor in it or somebody you've sorta heard of, but I don't get the motivation.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Know what's dumb? Having problems with your credit history because you've never taken on debt

I discovered last year that you can't even make an account on the Social Security website without having a credit history. It trips the automated identity theft alarm. Also there's no way to talk to an actual person about it and the offices have been closed for months.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Previous page reminded me of my #1 complaint towards the Furry community: stop referring to your characters as "anthro" when the "-morphic" part is the actual draw.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
British television relies on the detective format too much. Partly because it's impossible to make a show about sexy lawyers in the UK since they've gotta wear those stupid clown getups.

Edit: On further consideration, I don't know if that's an unpopular opinion, I just succumbed to the siren song of this thread to wander in and be a little racist. But, like, it's the Brits, so whatever.

Nameless Pete has a new favorite as of 18:34 on Mar 20, 2021

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Andrew Jackson was an abhorrent loving monster and a source of continuing national shame, but he was a good US President in the same sense that Hans Gruber was an exceptional thief, Mrs. McClane.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
If I wear a beanie it's usually because I have way too much hair and it's the easiest way to keep it out of my face.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Manager Hoyden posted:

It's not "ewww some of that might stick to me", it's that miserable people generally choose to be miserable*. Hell, that's understating it - miserable people will fight to stay miserable. And they'll also fight to make you miserable right along with them. Help doesn't do poo poo for them. Solve every single one of their problems and they'll build them right back. They're addicted to self-destructive thinking.

*obviously not people who like stepped on a landmine or were born without a butthole or something
Removing all the negative people from your life while insisting that people are basically happy is like insisting there's no problem with homelessness because you paid to live in a gated community.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
So, solipsism?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Platystemon posted:

Everyone agrees that works can be objectively bad, right?

Mein Kampf is objectively bad.

Someone got sick of being called out for using the word "literally" incorrectly and so they just typed "literal synonym" into Google and kept on truckin'.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Has the Prime Directive ever been portrayed as something actually good? The one episode where it's treated like anything other than pointless bureaucracy to be ignored is the Enterprise episode where Archer absolutely does a genocide by refusing to cure a plague because, hey, maybe this species doesn't deserve to live? Who are we to say?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I much prefer the philosophy in Mass Effect. Everyone stumbled across the Mass Relays by accident, so tracking down non-rear end in a top hat species so you can tell them about all this cool FTL junk you found lying around is actually viewed as a moral prerogative.

Edit: Mass Effect wears its influences proudly on its sleeve, so I always assumed that was specifically included because Casey Hudson was Mad About Star Trek.

Nameless Pete has a new favorite as of 00:25 on Nov 2, 2021

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
The only enjoyable Christmas songs are the ones that get really explicitly religious. They are not inherently better, just harder to be shoehorned into TV and radio advertisements and run into the ground. Like, you can't do God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen because if you change the line "remember Christ our savior" to "tremendous discount savings" you're going to be picketed by church groups.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
You would have a way easier time trying to stop everyone from referring to people as black/white than you would divorcing the words from their connotations in every other part of language.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Henchman of Santa posted:

It doesn’t have to be The State that killed him. He had ties to tons of extremely powerful people. Could be anyone who flew on the Lolita Express a few too many times.

I always imagined it going down like in Murder on the Orient Express where everyone with motive strangles him a little bit so the blame is spread around. Jimmy Buffett and Prince Andrew all waiting patiently in the hallway for their turn to choke a guy.

Nameless Pete has a new favorite as of 18:54 on Dec 5, 2021

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Tell me more about this non-vegan lettuce they were using previously.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
They should do a remake of Logan's Run and then another remake every 30 years after that forever.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
If women ran the world, there would be fewer wars. But there would also be a significant uptick in political assassinations and deniable intelligence operations and the total death toll numbers would eventually start to even out.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
The color indigo also doesn't exist. They only made it up to make "Roy G. Biv" work. What's the #1 use of so-called indigo dye? Blue jeans.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Gripweed posted:

Step 1: ban golf.

There's historical legal precedent. King James II outlawed golf in 1457 because he felt that it was distracting from archery.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Akira was a good movie until the hero gives the girl his jacket halfway through. Then the character designs became so indistinguishable that I genuinely had trouble following the plot.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
You don't replace the tall skinny guy with a short fat guy, you put them together. Give Joker a Chris Farley.

"Batman in a little coat."

Edit: "Well you'll have plenty of time to live in an abandoned amusement park down by the docks when you're...... living in an ABANDONED AMUSEMENT PARK down by the DOOOOCCCKKKS"

Nameless Pete has a new favorite as of 13:22 on Sep 3, 2022

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I take it back and am in lockstep with you now.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Brendan Fraser has had too many career comebacks for one man and it's high time he let Steve Zahn have a turn.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Gripweed posted:

Back in the old Tumblr days, people used to make up new genders. They'd say they were a demigirl, or faegender, or whatever. People used to make fun of them for that. But in retrospect that's a much better way of talking about this stuff than what we've got now where's there's just this giant amorphous "non-binary" tag. What the gently caress does that mean? That could be anything other than traditional man or traditional woman. You aren't actually communicating anything about yourself with non-binary. Bring back new genders. If we got people out here that aren't guys or girls but some thing else, they aren't all going to be the same third thing. If we're gonna do this gender stuff, we need to open up the infinite possibilities of gender instead of just having the normal two and other. Let 1,000 genders bloom!

I always kinda liked the idea of a Kinsey-style numerical Gender Scale with 1 being hypothetical peak feminine and 10 being the most masculine possible. Because I don't identify as trans but I've got no problem admitting that I'm not a 10, for God's sake. Also I want to make "infrafemme" a word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Gaius Marius posted:

We should Cut 2 hours of classes in school and replace them with mandatory gym class, 45 minutes of lifting 1 hour of cardio, and 15 minutes of nutrition. The state of health in the US and the western world is a loving joke. Also if you're a parent and your child is obese you should be charged with child abuse

Are you American? Because "shift time and funding away from books and towards the sports programs" is actually a super popular take here.