Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

1984, and Orwell in general, sucks rear end and is a stupid book for idiots.

He was right about Dickens though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

its true for a lot of foods but not objectively gross stuff like insects and seafood

It includes those too.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

PHUO: Posts that lack all capitalization and punctuation are annoying and seem childish.

Also get off my lawn. :bahgawd:

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

I have never once encountered someone who figured out how much water they had by weighing it

I do this. It's really useful.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

ishikabibble posted:

I swear i'm not an anime freak, but i've generally heard that referred to as the 'Evangelion effect'. It's the same kinda thing, wherein a piece of media pushes a medium so far forward that it becomes almost foundational, but in doing so it also was subject to everyone straight up copying or referencing it, so all the novel elements it introduced suddenly became 'the norm', and the original work lost its impact by dint of everyone already being used to the punches it gave.

Citizen Kane is like this. Watch it now and it’s meh, watch a bunch of stuff that preceded it and *then* watch it, and it’s mind blowing.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

e: phuo: Texas is better than California.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There are loads of californians in Texas.

They are all people who want to kiss Ted Cruz on the lips and call their homeland Commiefornia. We do not want them. We have enough fascists please go back to Orange County. Take off that hat you don't even know how to ride a horse.

Gaius Marius posted:

Texas is generally fine. California was a total mistake, an entire state filled with the dumbest most hypocritical people possible.

Most people in California don't really care about Texas. When I visited Texas for the first time I was a bit taken aback by being treated like I played for the rival team.

Good BBQ though.

DeadlyMuffin has a new favorite as of 23:06 on Nov 3, 2021

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Most people in Texas don't care about California, but the ones that move here are the ones I'm talking about.

I caught quite a bit of poo poo about being from CA, like I said I was taken a bit aback. Maybe it was due to being in Fort Worth?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Canadians are more polite than friendly, and the ones from BC aren't even that.

Canada is cool, but would be way more interesting if 90% of its national identity wasn't "we're not the US". Be your own thing Canada, ffs.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Opinions I don’t like are both centrist and middle manager mindset, got it

I've spent too much time in D&D. People with opinions I don't like are liberals.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Texas will accept you on the condition that you are neither liberal tech bro driving up prices or yeehawboo chud who will be pissed that the vietnamese make the best food in Houston.

Seriously, the only good outcome of the Vietnam War was adding vietnamese to the already incredible mix of cuisines on the gulf coast.

And that you're straight, naturally. Your state government is making that crystal clear.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

lmao I no longer live in Texas and if you think I think the state government represents me or the majority of people in the state go gently caress yourself. they're a one-party fascist dictatorship oppressing people. it is not "my" government. i'm loving queer.

Nah, I'm just enjoying the "well, you can come to Texas if you're this and not that" discussion in light of recent orders about trans kids.

That probably should make your list of what is and isn't okay in the great state of Texas.

Atticus_1354 posted:

The government definitely sucks. But I know a lot of very happy gay people here doing some great work to make it better.

And an article if you want to actually learn something about Texas politics.
https://sanantonioreport.org/texas-voter-turnout-2022-ross-ramsey-analysis/

I'm trans. I think I got the "not welcome" loud and loving clear.

It's great that there are people on the ground trying to make it better, and I donate to charities that try and help with abortion access in Texas, but my personality held unpopular opinion is that I'm going to go out of my way to highlight the state government's bigotry whenever I get the chance.

DeadlyMuffin has a new favorite as of 23:03 on Feb 27, 2022

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Atticus_1354 posted:

Nah. You're just making the same "if you don't like it why don't you move" and "people in the south deserve bad things because of their gov" arguments that always get made.

You're putting words in my mouth. I don't think Texans, especially LGBT Texans deserve their government. But I'm not going to walk on eggshells in the loving unpopular opinion thread about saying Texas seems to be pretty unwelcoming to LGBT people.

Since you're putting words in my mouth, let me take a guess: next is the part where you tell me to move there to be the change.

Edit: the post I responded to was literally about what was and wasn't okay for someone moving to Texas. Do you not think the state government's hostility is relevant?

DeadlyMuffin has a new favorite as of 23:13 on Feb 27, 2022

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Atticus_1354 posted:

Nah. Please stay away. We don't want you.

That was my entire point.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

BalloonFish posted:

Yeah. The composer Angela Morley (who wrote the music for Hancock's Half Hour, the orchestral score for Watership Down, worked with the Sherman brothers and did a lot of the arrangements for John Williams' scores in the 70s and 80s) transitioned in 1970 and by far the most common reaction seems to have been: "So you're a woman called Angela now? OK. Do you want to write a score for my film, Angela?"

It's remarkable, and depressing, to imagine how that would go today.

I'll be honest, I find this a little bit hard to believe, or maybe hard to believe that it was typical.

When I came out as trans my dad was incredibly worried about my safety, because someone he went to high school with in 1960s Southern California came out as trans and was horribly treated, ostracized by her family, etc.

Obviously we're talking about very different places, but the cultures are not so different that trans people being a complete non issue at the time makes sense to me.

DeadlyMuffin has a new favorite as of 03:41 on Apr 26, 2022

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

I am very grumpy that the internet has redefined the word “boomer” to mean anyone older than thirty

Ok Boomer.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

My phuo is that communism will become more popular as the people who lived under it in the Eastern Bloc age and die off.

thetoughestbean posted:

Social issues aren’t all the fault of capitalism, OP

Some definitely are though.

Land of contrasts.

DeadlyMuffin has a new favorite as of 02:56 on May 10, 2022

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The eastern bloc was not in any way communist.

Right. Can't fail, can only be failed. My bad. I'm sure real communism will be good.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

PHUO: it's fuckin hilarious when rando americans talk up the soviet onion and my wife's parents are like "oh yeah, no, life in the USA slaps, fake communism sucked at the best of times, and yes, all of that was in fact genocide you fuckin goddam tankie, no not that one you deny the other one, oh sheshin sege ein"

(Not mine, but I was hoping I'd find something like it...)

DeadlyMuffin has a new favorite as of 04:06 on May 10, 2022

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

doverhog posted:

Are you actually arguing that the current state of things where guilt is often determined by whether you have money is ok? That any change that would make things more equitable, and thus worse for the rich is "spite"?

Because that's one of the worst, most disgusting, takes in this thread for a while.

Goddamn that's an uncharitable read. Make everyone's representation as good as rich people get.

Caufman posted:

Ok then, every dollar spent on a private defense attorney, at least half the fee goes to the public defenders' office.

I like this idea.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

doverhog posted:

You think an Isis recruit has a deep understanding of the five pillars?

So you think that an Isis recruit doesn't identify as Muslim and think their religion is important to them?

Saying that religious zealots, of any flavor, aren't "really" religious is just excusing a religion for the lovely things done in it's name.

The pieces of poo poo screaming about Jesus outside of abortion clinics are just as Christian as the people out doing genuine good in the name of Jesus.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

doverhog posted:

Identifying as muslim, christian, capitalist, communist, etc. and then doing bad things is bad. The important thing is what you do.

Completely agreed. I just object to the "clearly they aren't 'real' X" line of argument. I'm used to hearing it from Christians who want to separate themselves from something lovely other Christians are doing.

DeadlyMuffin has a new favorite as of 22:57 on Jul 2, 2022

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

This:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Tactical miniatures action isn't nerdy or geeky. It's cool. It's the most badass thing someone can do. How many 15mm-tall hungarians have you painted, nerd?

After this:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Counterpoint: a childless adult still going to marvel movies is a nerd and should be relentlessly bullied. No swirlie is too many. At least society has accepted the other two are loving dead.

Is pretty funny. Tactical miniatures action is geeky af.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Owning pets, at best it means more resources you can't use yourself, at worst it's an annoyance for other people.

I imagine you posting this from your empty beige room, sitting on the floor.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

i think it's weird to give money to strangers online, for any reason

I see it like giving to any charity, iono why online makes it different

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

He's not wrong tho.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

it's not like giving to charity at all

I thought you were talking about things like random internet person who has cancer.

If we're talking about giving money to a twitch streamer or something I agree

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

docbeard posted:

3) A universal recognition that American football is not a sport

Define "sport".

There's a great argument that it isn't a sport that we should be playing, or glamorizing, but that's not what you're saying

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I like cyclists, I cycle myself, doing it on a road is incredibly dangerous and has no logical argument as to why they should be there and not on the sidewalks or on a bike trail.

I like cyclists, I cycle myself, doing it on a sidewalk is incredibly dangerous.

As a pedestrian I don't want to be run over by a cyclist barreling down the sidewalk. Either ride in a bike lane, or if that isn't possible, in the road.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

The Mario games peaked more than 30 years ago with Super Mario World. The Mario Kart series branched off and became its own thing, but even the best of those (Mario Kart 64) didn't quite reach the heights of SMW.

I share this opinion.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Ragnar34 posted:

Most of the hippies I've met were dicks, but ex-hippies are worse. It's everything that truly sucks about hippies plus the lyrics of "Love Me, I'm a Liberal."

I could lay into hippy music here but I think Aramek is the one with the unpopular opinion. I thought we'd agreed as a society that Grateful Dead has one good song and 50 years of bad ones. I guess there are outliers!

.... what's the good one?

I just figured I wasn't on enough drugs for the Dead.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I stand by my post. :colbert:

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Gripweed posted:

It’s pretty silly to act like the Dali Lama that China picks is somehow less legitimate than the regular Dali Lama.

What about their version of the Catholic church?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Equally valid.

I am declaring myself the new Gripweed.

It does not matter what has come before I am equally valid.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Well, I am a bit bummed that some of the legendary moments - Groverhaus, P-P-Powerbook, Gorgeous George - happened long before I was even aware of SA.

I remember a few of those, but keyboard goop is the really memorable one for me and I don't see it mentioned often.

Ground floor. Whoa. :aaaaa:

DeadlyMuffin has a new favorite as of 02:47 on Dec 12, 2022

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly is easily the best movie of the "Dollars" trilogy.

This is unpopular?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Robobot posted:

Congo has Tim Curry and killer gorillas. It rules.

I also really liked The 13th Warrior.

Yeah because 13th warrior is an amazing movie and Antonio Banderas is sex on wheels.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

If you've found the right Linux distribution, there shouldn't be a need to distrohop. If you're distrohopping a half dozen times, you're probably doing it wrong.

Just use Debian. It's stable, and apt is wonderful.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

nah

I'm pretty average in height and never had any problems, and neither did the non-annoying men I know who range from 5'3" to 6'3". It's like saying 'small breasts are a disadvantage in dating' like yes, it's technically correct but it's not at all something one could describe as 'a pretty big disadvantage' in any way, shape, or form, except with a certain small subset of women.

Ah, there it is.

never change silence_kit, keep fighting against the wokes.

It's true

https://theblog.okcupid.com/the-big-lies-people-tell-in-online-dating-a9e3990d6ae2

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I posted data, you posted tummyfeels. If you can do better, let’s see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/02/06/10-facts-about-americans-and-online-dating/

oh no looks like you're still an incel talking point spouting idiot, sorry. hope your tummy is feelin' ok.

Little man syndrome so strong it shows up in your posting.