Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I was thinking about applying for my Italian citizenship through one of my paternal great grandfathers so I can get an Italian passport. Would eliminate a bunch of headaches if I ever decided I hated living in the US enough to move to the EU.

As an Italian-American there's a lot of things I like about Italy but it's the last place I'd ever go to escape fascism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

"A Modest Proposal" - the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of indecipherably layered irony,

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

cats can be pretty different from each other regarding personal boundaries and that's just something you have to learn when you own them. rescue cats in particular can be pretty shell-shocked if they were abused.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

doverhog posted:

So how about Worcestershire sauce? It's perfect on everything that's not a dessert, and I don't eat desserts or sugar. If god came down and handed us a sauce, well he wouldn't because it already exists and some english dude made it by accident.

Is this unpopular. :shrug: I can argue with you about sugar or desserts I guess if you want.

i like to mix it into my burger patties before cooking them, I don't know about everything but it makes beef pretty tasty

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

They don't need to be perfect 100% of the time to serve a useful purpose. Are they a net good? I would say probably. I certainly wouldn't want to live in a society without laws+people to enforce them.

There are solid, working alternatives based on restorative justice models practiced by communities around the world, such as with Indigenous Canadians.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Gripweed posted:

landlords, venture capitalists, people who make apps

if one were to make an app that delivered a fresh guillotine with the blade shaped like Garfield to the doors of cops, volunteer soldiers, politicians, landlords, venture capitalists, and people who make apps, would these evils cancel each other out

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I just don't understand why people find Sonic the Hedgehog erotic.

I don't know how much of it can be blamed on the comic but it certainly helped, it's extremely weird and fucky

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

d&d is mostly awful and bland barring a handful of cool settings but that's part of the fun of it imo, unless the DM is real bad anything they add to it for the sake of the campaign is unique and interesting and therefore memorable by comparison.

feels like among the tabletop rpg genre it has the biggest failure to launch curse, though, I can't count how many groups I've heard about never getting out the gates. possibly just seems that way since its the most popular.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The Mighty Moltres posted:

After multiple single-player games on DOTA 2, I felt confident enough to play online.
That was a mistake.
I was yelled at for simply choosing the "wrong" character.
If I even moved in a different direction, the chat would be full of curses and requests to kick me from the game.

Message received, I'll go back to Left 4 Dead.

the only reason to play mobas in 2019 is to make gamers mad at you by playing Techies in Dota 2 or Singed in LoL

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

if bugs, arthropods, etc. leave me alone i leave them alone. major exception is pre-emptive self defense strikes on mosquitos and other bloodsuckers.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

clearly you meat sacks have never indulged in the joy that is sugar in water

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

I get that, kind of in the abstract, but still find it hard to really empathize with it on some deep level.

I think it's probably because I tend to see the body as perfect naturally, after which it becomes marred by human activity, while others tend to see it in the opposite way. Maybe it's generally because I prefer the natural over the artificial, nature over cities and stuff like that, like a personality trait.

the human body is a nightmare factory with billions of unimportant, minor, and major things that could go wrong at any moment and it's a miracle that it holds together at all

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Kanine posted:

the "good, cheap, fast, but you can only pick two" dynamic exists in regards to game development as much as literally any other industry. It's not "anti-consumer" to acknowledge this.

eh, i'd argue this on the basis on scale. plenty of games with really strong and engaging loops, made with free assets, in spans as short as 24 hours come out of game jams, even if they aren't particularly content-rich. if you're talking purely commercial endeavors by corporations making a larger-scale mass-market project, maybe.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Evolving pokemon is just wrong. If you are going to have a pokemon, make it as cute as possible. No pokemon gets cuter when it evolves, therefore always push the b button.

this is why Bellossom and Froslass are the most powerful pokemon

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

nothing says anti-authoritarianism like handing in a list of pinko anti-white and queer thought criminals to british intelligence

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm pretty sure nowhere is close to 100% cashless yet and even if they were I don't think its for the reasons you are saying.

i've seen it and heard of it so often, never underestimate retail business owners' desires to maintain an image that necessitates antagonizing the poor away from their stores. it's as bad if not worse than HOAs sometimes.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

boiling and grilling bring out different but equally good qualities of the hot dog imo

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

*taps the sign*

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

for me peanut butter is for making cheap filler meals that keep me alive but bring me no joy

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

as a tiny brat i used to spread peanut butter and jelly on a soft taco and wrap it up, calling it a pburrito. i will not ever try this again as it's probably way worse than I remember and I don't want to tarnish the memory, however inconsequential it is.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

that song got me to try a pina colada

decades later I'm a forums mod

so that's what getting caught in the rain means

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Yeah, insulting people by calling them gay is a playground tactic. It's weird that adults in favor of gay rights would use the playground tactic of insulting people by calling them gay. If you support gay rights you shouldn't use gay as an insult. You shouldn't try to delegitimize people by suggesting they're gay.

im p. sick of it and the logical implication the insult carries that only gay people are responsible for homophobia

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

dammed if you do, dammed if you don't

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Pick posted:

The "itch.io bundle for justice" is a good cause but it's not a good deal. Who cares if it's $5 if every single game is bad? 1,600 pieces of garbage is still not worth $5 any more than 1,600 used syringes.

lol if you aren't excited to crawl through looking for diamonds in the rough like it's one of those old "One Billion Windows Games" shareware CDs

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

PizzaProwler posted:

Lindsay Ellis is massively overrated and is exactly the same as every other smug youtube/twitter pop media analysts.

i think that style of video essay isn't bad at presenting facts and the context behind a work but typically has trouble really putting analysis forward towards making a conclusion. i think the main problem is that the critical lens they use is far too broad.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Ok but where did they steal it from in the first place?

india and china mostly, among others

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

we will rock you is fun almost entirely because you can get a bunch of people together stomping/clapping along to it

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

fan works defy the dismemberment of the public domain by allowing writers to take copyrighted characters and set them to work in unusual, fresh, and life-affirming contexts, or to take multiple contexts and smash them together, toying with how they mesh and contrast. it's a useful practice grounds for people to experiment with art using established factors they can freely use as is or modify at their whim.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

coffee should be replaced with drowsy, so we can all collectively go back to sleep

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

nah work days (and school days for the kiddies) just start too drat early

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

bojack is good mostly because ""adult animation"" is an absolute wasteland of garbage sitcoms and it eventually pushes beyond being a sitcom itself by shattering the status quo repeatedly. it's not a work of genius, it's just refreshing.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

It's doesn't push anything and is about as clever as a teenager depression-tweeting.

I kept watching hoping for that new and refreshing twist people were talking about, but eventually I just realized it was that all the rear end in a top hat characters were mentally ill. Whoa that sure justifies the terrible writing and stilted humor.

there isn't really a big twist in bojack as far as i can remember so much as details building up and paying off down the line instead of fading into non-existence after the episode's over

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

david lynch has a basic idea for what he wants to communicate to the audience and then buries it under 10 feet of doodles he made while bored and hands you a shovel

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

kayo dot is good. but there isn't any metal i would ever consider listening to publicly/without headphones that don't carry the sound far, it's an acquired taste the non-consenting should not be subjected to.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

v8 is pretty good once you get over the fact that its basically just cold drinkable soup

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Lynch doesn't have some huge secret message behind his work but he does comment on social issues and anxieties that are easy to pick up on i.e. around fatherhood in eraserhead or the violent misogyny of society in twin peaks

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

What's upshot?

not much, chaser!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

CJacobs posted:

edit: The tooth fairy I agree is a bit strange because that one is just a family tradition kind of thing. Some parents do it because they want to keep the kid's tooth in one of those memory box things that look like a terrifying phylactery for their soul

I always assumed that the tooth fairy is intended to help soothe and mitigate the horror of parts of your body falling off

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Pop goes the weasel for me. It seems pretty universal, when I was in college there would always be people who would hum something to themselves when they were doing math.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msrgp48Icyw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

on the other hand trawling and spotlighting insignificant and powerless communist accounts for bad takes is as pointless as trawling tumblr for "cringe SJWs"