Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
The last thread got gassed & i think everyone knows why. There's a PYF rule atm about political derails being potentially bannable, so if you want to talk in-depth about the recent elections it'd probably make sense to do it in d&d. Anyway, let's continue to celebrate diversity by sharing our valuable unique insights about what kind of messed food that it's actually really good to put ketchup on.

1) i'll never get a flu shot. i don't want a guaranteed 2-day cold in order to maybe avoid getting flu for a week. odds are you wont get a flu either way, and even if you do, you'll probably live.

2) not voting isn't lazy or stupid, it's an entirely valid way to express dissatisfaction with the political system. Your opinion as a non-voter isn't worth any less, and it is not less meaningful than it is to vote blank or write in a joke or protest candidate. Insisting that you have to vote, is playing into a narrative that invalidates the feeling of disenfranchised people.

3) mandatory voting is stupid for all of the above reasons, and the only reason people seek to implement it is 1) because they mistakenly think that the silent & disenfranchised masses is on their side, or 2) to get a high-voter turn-out that makes it look like people aren't disenfranchised despite voting now being under the threat of being fined.

4) Most people fail to realize what the Sin of Pride means. You're allowed to take pride in your accomplishments, there nothing wrong with that. If you have an inflated sense of self and you are concerned with appearing intelligent, disciplined and moral, that is the Sin of Vanity, just the same as if you are overly concerned about appearing beautiful. The Sin of Pride is putting yourself before God, essentially, the sin of pride is basically the sin of not believing fully in God.

5) When i peel potatoes I like to snack on a raw one. They're crunchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

You apparently don't actually understand why you get flu shots. The point of immunizing a population is to protect the members of said population who can't be immunized. People like myself have compromised immune systems and can die or be seriously injured from getting things like the flu, other people getting flu shots helps prevent us from being exposed to potentially fatal viruses.

you're right that's a good reason to get a flu shot, but i don't think that's why most people who get one actually does so. at least the way flu shots are marketed here doesn't mention that at all & is just about not getting a week or 2 of personal downtime from flu. i don't doubt the validity of the reason you mention btw, but i've never heard it marketed or even advocated as a reason from sources like our NHS

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

reading the e/n Online Dating thread sometimes, imo, it's weird and off-putting when people specify an age-range when seeking partners that isn't centred on their own age. it seems really normal, especially for guys to specifically look for younger women, and i wouldn't even be surprised if sites default to that, but it's still off-putting imo. i don't care if a 34 year old goon is looking for partners aged 24-44, or 29-39, but it's off-putting when it's skewered like a 34 yo looking for 24-36 year olds.

i'm not saying everyone has to be the exact same age, but specifically seeking out someone younger than yourself is an off-putting preference.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

LEGO is as good as it has ever been. the many tie-in franchises and universes, like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, The Avengeres and whatever else, isn't going to stifle creativity. a lot of the LEGO franchise stuff is pretty obviously markted at the 80s and 90s kids who are now parents themselves, like, you can get Back to the Future and an A TEAM LEGO van. kids don't care about that & they're going to make up games and create stuff no matter what's on the package that's partially marketed at their parents 80s and 90s nostalgia.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

Cheery Pepsi Max, despite having 0 calories, tastes exactly like regular Dr. Pepper; great

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

men and women can be friends

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

most people become better people when they become parents

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

it is really weird and dumb that the TCC and The Goon Doctor sub-forums hasn't been shut down. imo,

in those two forums, SA is lending legitimacy for people with unverified credentials to give out medical advice. the argument about keeping TCC and The Goon Doctor open; that people might go somewhere else for health-related info is just stupid imo. if you have the means to shut down people with unverified credentials giving out medical advice, then you should do that. you don't support a source of potential misinformation because Yahoo Answers exists and might potentially give out worse advice. that's a fantastically stupid low bar to adhere to when it comes to deciding what is a source of information on medical issues that you want to support.

every so often (when a TCC regular dies), a discussion pops up about whether TCC should be closed down, and as far as i remember, there isn't a single argument other than the above, and the extremely idiotic view that TCC is justified by being a comedy honey pot.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

the ultimate PYF experience is the guy from the PYF Pet Peeve thread whose pet peeve is fireworks, because they bore him since he already knows all the shapes and colours, looking up into the sky, presumably enjoying a beautiful midsummer's eve, only to remark that the sun's relative distance from the Earth is some random monkey cheese bullshit

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

please, will somebody confess to eating something stupid with ketchup on it instead of doing political potshots, i beg of you.

unpopular opinion: pet cats running around isn't a big problem unless you live on some kind of isolated island with flightless ground-nesting birds that don't already have to deal with ground-dwelling predators. you guys in the US have like, bobcats, and badgers, raccoons, lynx, foxes & whatever.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

anti-discrimination laws doesn't infringe on anything that's worth protecting. the equal treatment of people despite race, gender, religion and sexuality is not a slippery slope.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

ranking different types of oppressiveness re: gender, sexuality and race is dumb because one type of oppression never actually justifies another.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

sci-fi and fantasy should be considered settings, not genres. that goes for other genres that only define the setting and not the narrative; like westerns and other period pieces. these genres are often and rightfully considered trashy because great literature transcends their setting instead of being defined by it.

genres like; comedy, horror & drama actually says something worthwhile about the narrative of a work. it seems weird imo to place emphasis on setting rather than narrative in defining genre, and i think that the focus on setting over narrative is essentially what world-building is, and authors that place a high emphasis on it will place less emphasis on character and story development.

something that has a sci-fi or fantasy setting can obviously be part of any other genre, as well, but having a preference that focus on setting instead of narrative just seems rear end-backwards to me.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

digitally re-creating the likeness of irl people who played a role in an older movie or tv-series, whether it is their youthful appearance that is recreated, or the actual person has died, is both extremely off-putting, and it is a sign that people are way too strongly invested in the canon and continuity of fictional universes, that something like Carrie Fisher's digital Star Wars re-apperance isn't considered some kind of massively inappropriate digital necromancy but is an acceptable homage is weird.

just get a new actor to do the stuff. it's super weird to not be able to let go off stuff & accept some change. it reminds me of people who want to clone their pets so that they can have the "same one" forever. it seems massively unhealthy.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

WampaLord posted:

Well she wasn't dead when they made it, so I'm guessing she had to approve her likeness being used.

huh. i thought some scenes with her were re-constructed, digital stuff, for some reason. it is definitely a lot less weird in that case, but the whole need for continuity/canon in fictional universes that you see a bunch in fantasy & sci-fi is weird to me still. i get that a lot of money is on the line & it makes sense to make big contract with actors like that have some kind of clause about using their likeliness is OK, but it still comes across as off-putting, as if the fictional character is more important than the person behind it.

anyway, as far as the music discussion goes, imo music, and pretty much art in general has only gotten better throughout history. all genres and time periods have classics that transcends their time & genre, that's what makes them classic, but overall, i think that the increasingly widespread access to- and quality of education makes for a much larger artistic talent pool, and the great works of arts that have survived the ages are part of the building blocks that new artists rise from. both a larger talent pool and a wider range of works to draw inspiration from, has both heightened and broadened artistic endeavour, musical & otherwise. pining for any past age is nostalgia.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

Low Desert Punk posted:

I believe the NFL should have a zero-tolerance policy for domestic abuse and rape. Players should have their contracts terminated and gently caress off to find a job in some lovely arena football league. I have a moral issue with supporting a team that employs human garbage. This goes for the NBA and all other major American sports leagues.

This is a very controversial opinion with almost all sports fans, as I've figured out.

i can sympathise with this to the extent that it would be nice to see higher conviction rates and more focus on these types of crimes, but there needs to be a very strong correlation between a punishment that restricts areas of work and the crime comitted; like paedophiles not being allowed to work with children.

as far as an unpopular opinion goes; crimes shouldn't be punished outside of the criminal justice system. it doesn't really matter how heinous the crime is, it isn't the job of individual citizens, other inmates, private corporations or shareholders to punish crime, and restricting access to work is a very serious punishment. once time is served, former criminals ought to be able to enter the work-force on equal footing with everyone else; it is perhaps the single most important issue when it comes to rehabilitation. these restrictions should be court mandated and not left to the discretion of individual employers.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

caboodle posted:

LOL. I was banned for posting my unpopular opinion.

i get that it sucks to be banned & i could add something to the OP about transphobia, racism & sexism not being any more okay to post here than on the rest of the forums, but i figure that people would honestly know that there aren't any special rules protecting the statements in this thread.

i mean, half the posts are people trying to call each other out on why their unpopular opinions are dumb or unfounded, so i'm guessing it is obvious enough that nobody really just gets to dump an opinion piece without feedback, or if it is really bad, mod consequence like probations or a ban.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

the context here is that guys commonly have a pretty heavily slanted age-preference in on-line dating. as an example, the last two guys to have posted profiles for critique in the online dating thread, had age-range preferences that were, iirc, -10/+3 and -7/+1, and these kind of slanted age-preferences are just really off-putting imo

i don't think there is anything wrong with a 30 year old happening to date a 40 year old, but specifically seeking out younger people than yourself instead of an age-range centred on your own age if off-putting. a 35 year old guy with a -10/+10 age preference - whatever. a 35 year old guy with an age preference set to -10/+3 - off-putting.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

A lot of women do the opposite though. When I was on ok Cupid it wasn't uncommon for younger women to actually not even have their own age set in the preferences. Like, 25 year olds with ages 28-38 set as preferences or whatever.

Although I see where you are coming from. The age thing is weird. I think a lot of dudes prefer to date someone around their own age, but when you are filling that thing out there is this little voice in the back of your head (it's your dick) saying "what if some 23 year old was going to want to bang me and now they don't cause I set that in my preferences"

I tried to expand my horizons and look more open minded by expanding my age range upwards and got nothing but messages from women 10 years older than me. Which is fine, but ya know. We all do it to some degree.

yeah, women for sure do the opposite on average, and i can understand a heavy slant in either direction being off-putting, it just isn't the one i'm seeing. i don't think a tiny age-range slant is a red flag, like a 28 year old might type in 24-30 simply because 30 is a scary number, or whatever, who knows, but when people have a heavy slant in either direction that's weird to me, and those seem common to me.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

mushrooms are completely pointless if you don't buy them fresh. when conserved in fluid they lose nearly all taste and gets the single least enjoyable texture of anything ever.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

Aramek posted:

I have a bag of dried shitakes in my cupboard. They rule.

o ya dried can be fine. it is really the conserving in water that is bad. champignon mushrooms are most commonly sold in glass jars here, conserved in water, and it absolutely ruins them imo.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

i'm happy about Big Bang Theory because it made some genius think up the term "nerd blackface" and a bunch of people from on-line & goons wrote incredibly stupid, but funny words about how making fun of nerdy stuff is comparable to sexism & racism, and how making light pop culture references is cultural appropribation if you reveal stuff like how Batman is Bruce Wayne to regular people

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I'm an astronomer

just curious. how often do you get asked about horoscopes?

e: that said I do get a little offended when my parents compare me to characters on the show, especially sheldon.

when i visit my mom, we often watch a late-night episode of Criminal Minds, and every single time Dr. Spencer Reid is first shown in a scene, my mom will say; "he reminds me of you. you should find a guy like that", and if there is a double-episode, she will say the exact same thing 45 minutes later.

i don't mind tho, because she likes Dr. Spencer Reid, and so do i. he's smart, cute and handsome imo.

edit: fixing weird rear end quote mess

Grandmother of Five has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Jan 7, 2017

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

i don't think that media for kids really need to be anything other than light-hearted fun that encourages learning and creativity. media for kids should be inclusive, by virtue of being non-discriminatory, though, but that's about it.

i'm having trouble imagining the theoretical child that would need to be told about how sometimes the world is unfair by a movie, because that child would somehow go through daycare, kindergarten and school without instances of feeling like they were ever unfairly treated.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

i remember you educating some of us about a bone-growth disease in satin guinea pigs lately, Pick. that seems like useful & good eugenic knowledge. i get that satin guinea pig breeding might be a eugenics related issue in the first place, but at least some of you with that kind of knowledge can pull in a different direction.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

just as an aside, imo, if some of you work with & are knowledgeable about that kind of genetics & eugenics stuff, it might make for an interesting Ask/Tell thread.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

for some reason an image springs to my mind of being seated at a SS dinner party, desperately wanting to change the current topic of conversation, leaning in to Dr. Mengele and Himmler, saying that i like to put ketchup on hot dogs.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

Tony Bologna posted:

More dudes need to start trimming and shaping their eyebrows. You guys look like poo poo out there, it's embarrassing.

a friend of mine who was a hairdresser at various salons said that she stopped asking guys if they'd like their brows done because it wasn't uncommon for dudes to get aggressively angry about simply being asked.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

It is messed up that the wrestling guy would present people with made-up fake information.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I don't care about wrestling one way or the other, but I think the reason it is considered especially stupid or low-brow is the same reason why stuff like Nascar and Lifetime TV is. The stereotypical target demographic is one that a lot of people like to distance themselves from.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

Big muscle men in tights with lovely plot-lines. Who'd have thought nerds be into that.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

Most of us need some degree of faith in order to board an airplane or make use of medicine. Faith is absolutely necessary, and a good and useful tool in a society with any degree of specialization.

Religion is good and useful, too, for a bunch of reasons, one of which is that we live in a society with a high degree of specialization, and we need effective, working solutions; we need pre-constructed belief systems, whether they are religious, political, or ethical, it doesn't matter, they are at their core based on faith and personal experience rather than logic.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I think it is largely uninteresting whether someone is a troll or not. If you wilfully present yourself a certain way and advocate a stance that is indistinguishable from one that others present genuinely, then you're effectively no different from people who hold those beliefs genuinely, except that you are for some reason taking pride in being able to pass yourself of as something completely mundane.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

Dark rye bread is an acquired taste, but it is like the most easily acquired, acquired taste & finding it icky is on the same level as not eating tomatoes or outright refusing to eat any kind of seafood.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

It's not really a good comparison to compare not liking a specific type of bread you would, in my experience, have to go out of your way to encounter regularly to an entire category of food.

Depends on where you're at. Whether the opinions people post make much sense, especially as unpopular opinions, depends on whether they are meant in the context of the forums, or some speific culture that the OP is part of.

I get not viewing dark rye as an easily acquired taste for most people, but I'm Danish and dark rye is a staple here.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

Someone disagreeing with me isn't annoying what so ever, but someone I share a stance with is if they argue a point I care about poorly.

Results doesn't speak for themselves. Whether a decision was good or bad is based on the information you had at the time when you made the call, and although things turning out right is nice, it doesn't validate making a bad call.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

Backing the side that doesn't care about spoilers. Knowing that someone is going to die doesn't ruin the author depicting people dealing with grief, or how visually spectacular someone blowing up is. If the writing is actually any good, then stuff like character development isn't going to be ruined from knowing some focus point in advance. It is probably unfair, but people whining about spoilers is nearly always into some trashy sci-fi or fantasy garbage.

I mean, it is fine to like whatever, but there is a reason why it is always someone talking about Star Wars or Harry Potter who feels that spoilers ruined everything, and not someone freaking out about being told that Fyodor dies in Brothers Karamazov. Intentionally spolering people and ruining their experience is rude, but grown-ups freaking out about super-heros lore is also pretty funny and that is the exact people who get wound up about spoilers.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

It is good that logic plays little role in how we form our convictions, because pure rationality is probably the closest thing to a complete absence of ethics.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm not familiar with specific definitions of English words in methodology, but ideology, whether it is political, religious or strictly based in ethics, isn't based on logic, but on faith-based convictions at their cores. Of course there is reasoning, though, but it is inherently faith-based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

Also, when eating sushi, I put the wasabi into the soy sauce and mix it into a sewer-looking substance.