Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

everyone who has ever posted on or been affiliated with TVtropes in any way, in addition to everyone who has ever used the word or concept of "trope" or engaged in that style of media analysis, should be put to work in chain gangs rebuilding America's infrastructure, then shot and buried en masse in the foundations of that infrastructure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

same goes for people who make weirdly urgent arguments that the reason cape comics suck is the 1950s comics code

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

fruit on the bottom posted:

I don't think it's a coincidence that these two genres are the ones most closely associated with specific stereotypes and those two genres being the most commonly written off ones.

same but for anime, the stereotype being 'is japanese'

icantfindaname has a new favorite as of 02:03 on Dec 4, 2016

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

what exactly is non-black rap music, or non-rural-southern-white country music?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i dunno, a lot of/most anime is bad, but the fact is there's a strong undercurrent of racism and orientalism present in most discourse critical of anime and japanese media, and even in a lot of it that's not explicitly critical. i was listening to NPR the other day and they were talking about the ghost in the shell live action movie and they had some like 28 year old asian-american journalist who basically said that anime characters look white because japanese poeple are racially self-hating and insecure and secretly want to be white, and it's like really? that's like 1890 rudyard kipling talking about the essential character of the indian races or some poo poo. no justification or actual social science was presented, the narrator just basically nodded and went 'truly the japanese are a mysterious people'. that kind of discourse makes up like 80% of everything i've ever seen written about japan or its media

icantfindaname has a new favorite as of 03:30 on Dec 4, 2016

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Saddest Rhino posted:

There is no finer television show than Rick And Morty right now and it being only celebrated by mentally-underdeveloped white nerd manchildren is a massive tragedy.

steven universe is better than rick and morty

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Jastiger posted:

I watched Steven Universe a few times and it seemed really dumb and kiddy. It didnt makensense why it was so popular to me.

it takes a while to get going, you can skip like the first 2/3 of the first season

Pick posted:

I agree.

But I have a real unpopular opinion which is that Steven Universe is mostly good because it is really funny, and without being really funny the rest of it wouldn't be that great.

weirdo

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

doverhog posted:

Alt right is the right except they are honest about being nazis.

the christian dominionist/catholic clerical fascist/neo-crusader types seem to be a lot more common within the alt-right than white supremacists, if you read Bannon's comments he's clearly in the first camp and not the second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

bean_shadow posted:

Prairie Home Companion is boring. Must be a Midwest thing. Or northern Midwest thing, since it's out of St. Paul, MN. I grew up in Las Vegas. My Iowa native parents love it. My Iowa native family loves it. I've tried to like it, even after living in the Midwest for twenties years now. I get it. It's just rather boring to me.

Midwestern liberals are boring and very very white

See also: Canadians