Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Shibawanko posted:

i'm not this guy. i'm the guy who says john lennon's music sucked

Indirectly related to that, I'm the guy who says Catcher in the Rye was a terrible book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I guess my opinion is a little less unpopular than I thought. (Although I have been told, on these very forums, that I sound "uneducated" for saying it.)

Do high school teachers still expect the students to identify with Holden Caulfield? Mine sure did, and I remember feeling downright insulted by that.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Wind chimes are noise pollution. If you have any neighbors at all within earshot, and you put up a wind chime, you're an inconsiderate rear end in a top hat. It's no different than if you were blasting music (or any other sound) across the neighborhood 24 hours a day.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

It's very simple.

If you only read creaky old classics, you're a pretentious hipster. If you only read new popular things, you're a shallow overgrown child. If you read some of each, you're a "truth is always in the middle" South Park Republican. And of course if you don't read at all, you're just one of the brainless masses.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The old Dreamcast game "Shenmue" was awful. Wandering around talking to people at random until it's time to go home for dinner. Eventually, I'm told, you can get a job moving boxes around a warehouse, but I never got that far before turning off the game out of sheer boredom. (And all of it accompanied by the worst voice acting I've ever heard.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Pastry of the Year posted:

we found the son of a bitch who watched The Jay Leno Show

Jay was an rear end to Conan, no question, but the real blame for the entire Tonight Show succession dispute is on the NBC executives.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Earl grey tea is the best tea

It's okay, but it wouldn't be anywhere near as popular if not for a certain starship captain.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Sweevo posted:

"gently caress you, i'm not doing an accent!" - Patrick Stewart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8Z6OLf6sdo

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Manager Hoyden posted:

Philosophy isnt useless. Government, economics, and to a lesser extent criminal justice are applied philosophy.

Wikipedia certainly seems to think that philosophy is at the heart of all things. Go to any article, and click the first link that is not in parentheses or italics. Repeat with whatever article that takes you to, and so on, and so on. There's a small chance you'll end up looping back and forth between two articles, but the overwhelming majority of the time, you'll eventually get to the article on philosophy.

Perhaps we can all try it while the forums are down tonight, it'll entertain us for a few moments.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Gripweed posted:

American political discourse would be significantly improved if Trevor Moore had been chosen as the new host of The Daily Show instead of Trevor Noah

I only know the name Trevor Moore for one thing, but it's utterly brilliant, so... I'll go along with your notion.

The one thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-Lvv1f5Qu4

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Silicon is very much not a metal, like it’s literally one space down from carbon on the periodic table and nowhere near the left at all. God dammit. It’s got 4 unpaired valence electrons just like carbon does!

Any element heavier than helium is a metal. Ask any astronomer.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

nobody in holland wears a helmet. it's not necessary and doesn't add to safety

cycling safety is entirely in speed and infrastructure and 0% in what helmet you wear. the reason cycling is super safe in holland even though we dont wear those things is because everybody cycles, because of the number of casual cyclists all of infrastructure and traffic is geared towards the number of cyclists, cyclists also all go pretty slow i inner cities (though fast where it's possible, like long flat bikelanes between towns and villages), there are few wannabe pro guys wearing lycra. the usual argument by the dutch bike association against helmets being mandatory is that they just serve to make cycling seem more like a pain in the rear end, reducing the number of cyclists especially among kids, and give an illusory sense of safety, causing people to ride faster which also increases accidents on the whole

theres been a recent spike in deaths but they're all under old people and the reason is that they have started using e-bikes, which are heavy and most accidents actually occur when they get on the bike and fall over

If I had agreed with you that a helmet was overkill for a casual little ride through the neighborhood, I would be dead right now. So I hope your opinion remains unpopular -- it's exactly the same dangerous bullshit as "Oh, I don't need my seat belt, I'm only going to the grocery store".

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

no, it only becomes an issue if you bike at high speeds, like lycra guys do. at speeds around 20kmh or lower the chance of that happening, with properly organized traffic, is very low

My crash was at about 20 km/h on a wide-open street with zero car traffic around. Your advice would have gotten me killed and could still kill people in the future who are foolish enough to listen to it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

And yet people will 3-D print anything despite it, in about 100% of cases, being more time-consuming, more expensive, and worse all around than not 3-D printing whatever it is.

The best relationship one can have to 3D printers is not to have one yourself, but rather to have a friend who does.

On the rare occasion you need a specific little plastic thingy ("Dang it, the flip-down foot on my keyboard broke"), they'll take your request for it as a validation of their hobby and will be overjoyed to make one for you. You get all the benefits without having to pour all your time and money into a cantankerous machine. Win-win.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Gripweed posted:

HBO is cowards for doing Game of Thrones instead of the much superior Amber

The real value of the Amber novel series was that it led to the Amber role-playing game, which was much more fun.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

If a model doesn't work at 1/100 you try 1/50 if that doesn't work 1/1.

:pseudo: The full-scale 2100-foot-long model of the Enterprise-D proved difficult to use for effects shots, so they made a more manageable 1400-foot model which was easier to work with but had a few subtle differences from the original, if you know what to look for.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

PHUO: Between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit. You cannot disprove my PHUO provided I am careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Robobot posted:

To be fair I was only half joking. I was never good at painting models, but loved building them. That's why I started only building WW2 US Navy planes. Super easy to paint everything blue.

Which reminds me:

PHUO: Painting the miniatures for Warhammer 40K is more fun than the actual game that you play with them.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

When Star Trek was at its very best, it managed to be, on average, about one-third great, one-third meh, and one-third garbage. (It has not managed to reach this ratio for some time.)

I say this as a Starfleet-uniform-owning lifelong Trekkie.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Here's an opinion that I can see is extremely unpopular, based on 90% of the cars on the road:

You're allowed to remove the license plate frame that names the dealership where you bought the car. Really, you don't have to give them free advertising everywhere you go for years and years and years. Two minutes of quality time with a screwdriver is all it takes to make your car not be somebody else's billboard.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

I really like when you see a dozen posts of people arguing when it's obvious nobody is actually reading the other peoples posts anymore.

It's always great when this results in people not realizing that they're very angrily agreeing with each other.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Ranch is fine when you're dipping a carrot stick or broccoli floret or cherry tomato into it. But it somehow becomes gross as hell when it's put onto a salad made of those very same vegetables.

:iiam:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The best burner on the stove is the back-left one.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

My unpopular opinion is that people are way too uptight about what other people wear and we should all be a lot less judgey about it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I don't care if you wear a business suit, your birthday suit, a swimsuit, or a chicken suit, and nobody else should either.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The invention of the H-bomb is what prevented a nuclear war from actually happening (so far, at least). Quaint little A-bombs wouldn't have been nearly horrific enough to make the USA and USSR so reluctant to use them on each other.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

It's not entirely true that we're completely ignorant of what alien life might be out there; we can at least put some limits on it based on what we see (or don't see). For example, it seems pretty obvious that there's no Type III civilization (see Kardashev scale) in this galaxy, since it'd be here making use of the Sun and planets if there was. We can also say that no other galaxy we've looked at has the right infrared signature to be the waste heat of a Type III civ. There's a much smaller radius inside which we can say with some confidence that there aren't any Type IIs -- if they were there, they're close enough that we would have already detected them.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Like, banana production is enormously exploitative and has been a producer of genocide. But they are very cheap in the US, perhaps the cheapest fruit. Bananas are also a fairly calorie dense source of fibre, and potassium. A critical nutrient for human health. A poor person in the US buying bananas for themselves and their family is not a bad person. The system we live under is bad.

PHUO: Bananas are disgusting. Nutritionally they're fantastic, which makes it such a pity about the taste and the texture and the stench.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Cool, fast food fight. Fat guy powers... activate!

Of the "big three", McDonald's has the best burgers, Burger King the best fries, and Wendy's the best shakes.

Subway is superior to Jimmy John's and Potbelly's, but not by much.

Chipotle and Qdoba are absolutely identical, I defy anyone to tell the difference in a blind test.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

My unpopular opinion is that psychology is, at best, a very inexact science. Diagnoses will involve a lot more guesswork than they let on, plus of course the expectations and biases of the one doing the diagnosing.

(And at worst, psychology can be a complete pseudoscience, which makes it downright dangerous the way people assign it the same credibility as the field of physical medicine. But that's a whole other can of worms.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think purpose should be the distinction, not duration or orbital height. If you're going up to prove your business venture of space tourism is viable, then you're just a businessman. If you're going to explore and/or pursue scientific/technological advances (not motivated by monetary gain), you're an astronaut.

I hope "cold war superpower posturing" qualifies. :ohdear:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Manager Hoyden posted:

Wait are you implying that using embarrassing internet phrases in the actual real world indicates strong social skills

Tag yourself, I'm the guy who has had to stop himself from using "Tag yourself, I'm the" in real life.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Since slang is essentially just a special type of metaphor, I suggest excluding all metaphors from your speech. Better cut out similes too, just to be safe.

Except of course there's no literal "cutting" involved in this, so people might not understand my informal slang. I have spent too much time among users of colloquialisms and now I fear my well of English is permanently defiled.

(The well is not literal either, but considering I stole the expression wholesale from a Victorian-era character, I feel I'm on safe ground.)

(The wholesaling is not literal either.)

(The ground is not literal either.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

all gang tags should be deleted and all avatars should be 60x60 pixels

And replace all smilies with :geno:.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

To combine a couple of topics under discussion: Fandoms and mythologies are basically the same thing. The only real difference between, say, the Greek pantheon and Star Wars is that one has been around rather longer than the other. They both consist of tales of archetypal characters doing great and heroic deeds (sometimes with a questionable moral). They both provide a form of cultural shorthand. They each have a core canon that's taken as valid by most, along with various newer tales and interpretations that have less acceptance. People are sufficiently moved by both to dedicate great works or even their entire lives to them.

King Arthur started as a fandom around a set of characters and stories that appeared in medieval romances. It grew and expanded and eventually became a mythology in its own right. If Star Wars (or Star Trek, or superheroes, or Sherlock Holmes, or whatever) sticks around in the public consciousness long enough, the same thing could happen.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Robobot posted:

Follow up question since I'm finding these measurement things interesting, what determined a second?

A second is officially defined as "the amount of time it takes you to say 'one mississippi'".

But seriously, it's a particular count of vibrations of a cesium atom under such-and-such conditions, wikipedia will have all the details

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

American here, and I'm always surprised when I encounter someone who can't seem to use either measurement system interchangeably in day-to-day life, since you're going to encounter both of them all the freaking time.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Aramek posted:

We should repurpose ICE, instead of them arresting brown people, we have them swat door to door and forcibly vaccinate everyone against their will. That way they can beat the asses of those who resist.

It's a literal win win for everyone involved.

I wonder if we could refit those tranquilizer guns to have vaccine in their darts instead of sedative. Get a squad of people armed with those and let them just tear through Sturgis.

The best part is that it'd be just another mass shooting, which most antivax chuds are already predisposed to minimize and ignore, so they might not even complain.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

hawowanlawow posted:

different guy, Paul WS Anderson directed event horizon

No, no, Paul Anderson wrote Tau Zero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Imagine two colons at the edge of a cliff