Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
What about Family Guy? That show does now just seem full of "ironic" racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Actually thats the stereotype lol.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Does no one just get groceries delivered? I do it every few weeks and find I end up saving money having a premade list and I can re-order each time changing a few things rather than deciding what I want, dunno if this is less common in the US than UK though.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
After watching Hamilton on Disney+ I still think its amazing, and I hate how SA and the internet has turned against it so much, and treats you like the guys from Get Out claiming they have a black friend if you say you enjoy it. It's okay to like popular things.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Simon and Garfunkel really let themselves go

I thought this was just an unrelated unpopular opinion for a minute lol.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

christmas boots posted:

You know, Hitler ate candy corn.

Yeah but so did the guy who killed Hitler.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Who was himself.

:thejoke:

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Well they said probably.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

People with Tattoos gross me out, you can tell as soon as you see them that they make poor decisions in life

The good thing about tattoos is they keep these guys away from you, leading to a much more fun time.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Gripweed posted:

I prefer fiction where there are two opposing political entities and people are divided up between them purely through circumstance so there are selfish and cruel and noble and good people on both sides

Captain America: Civil War must be the worst example of this.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

yeah I eat rear end posted:

There should be more recipes for people who just don't have a lot of stuff. Like I have rice, chicken, salt, pepper and like brisket seasoning, tell me what I can make with that, don't give me these recipes with a 1/8 tablespoon of cumin allspice ginger cayenne pepper regular pepper garlic powder ground tiger penis thyme flakes rosemary seeds lemons corn cobs etc. Just tell me how to make this taste good without spending 50+ dollars on stuff i'm only going to be using a pinch of.

It's especially annoying when you google "simple _____ recipe". A simple recipe should be like 5-8 ingredients. Not a 20+ ingredient 4-5 hour affair requiring multiple pots and cooking stages.

You just make the chicken and rice and put a bit of the seasonings on it if you think they taste nice, you don't need a recipe.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

That didn't include the tip

I didn't think it was that hard, My buddy was over on his leave and we wanted to get some food. We were gonna get some Wings and Za, but we couldn't decide on which kind of Pizza or what type of wings. We ended up with Three Larges and 2 kinds of wings. Then my buddy sweared to me that The pasta was actually good, so we got some of that, plus some brownie dessert thing and some cheese bread. Kind of dissapointed with what we got too, the pasta was awful, and the "Large" pizzas are like tiny baby pizzas. The wings were fine I guess

I know here in the UK the prices start dear but they expect you to use a buy one get on free or 50% off voucher every time at least, they are usually built into the website.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

I gave someone https://www.amazon.com/Its-Book-Lane-Smith/dp/1596436069 and her husband https://www.amazon.com/All-My-Friends-Are-Dead/dp/0811874559 and she got hers first and we were laughing about both of them (they weren't wrapped). They are sarcastic, PG humor drawn like children's books.

When the husband got AMFAD he looked at a few pages and laughed, but someone else had come to visit so he put it away. We had Thanksgiving plans, traveling out of town. I got a letter afterwards that she didn't want me visiting for a while, wouldn't have me hurting her husband. She returned other things I had given as gifts. We were friends for ten years so we knew each other fairly well.

I found out later that the husband's father had died in the week or two before I had gifted the book.

That's a really loving weird thing for them to be offended by.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

doverhog posted:

The possibility of violence always lurks at the back of any interaction. We agree to not use it, an agreement Putin violated when he invaded Ukraine.

Ukraine threatened to put a finger up dad’s rear end (Russia)

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

I mean, not too get too into politics chat but I would disagree with this. Everyone with power deserves more critique than the average person for the good that they do not do, and we should not make heroes of anyone involved in it until either they fulfill their promises (all of them) or have retired/died.

I mean we can all try and do more and be more than we are. But we need to wait and allow ourselves time to rest in between then sometimes. I do agree that too much cynicism can be deleterous to helping more people though.

I honestly thought he meant Grandpa Joe from Willy Wonka till you said this, with him faking his illness and getting out of bed dancing when Charlie wins the ticket and what not.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Irregardless posted:

Truly the most unpopular opinion in this thread is that most people have control over their thoughts, emotions, and overall outlook in life.

No ones saying that. They're saying its pointless/insulting to simply tell people to have a more positive outlook because everyone has already though of that.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

silence_kit posted:

The sensibilities of New SA are a little strange. The first impression you might get about New SA from reading posters moralize about certain selective topics, is that SA is largely a positive community which is all about doing good works and making the world a better place.

BUT if you look a little more closely, you'll find that the Something Awful Forums are almost the complete opposite of that kind of place. We largely do NOT post about how we spend our time helping the disadvantaged, serving the poor, participating in local government, etc. etc.

INSTEAD, we post or post about :

- playing video games
- watching movies and TV
- purchasing and using consumer electronics
- using recreational drugs
- our alternative sexual lifestyles, either with a 100% deadly serious tone, or in jest
- our jobs in the information technology industry
- our impotent rants against our ideological doppelgängers, sometimes containing violent fantasies about their impending demise

This HUGE disparity between how Goons moralize/preach on certain selective topics and what Goons ACTUALLY spend their time doing is one of many Great Goon Paradoxes.

I think this is the worst post I've ever seen on these forums, what the gently caress. It's a forum where people talk about video games, movies, tv, yeah god forbid "alternative" sexual lifestyles. Talking about normal good things while being sensitive towards slurs isn't a paradox its being a normal human being. It's also normal to strongly dislike people with strongly opposing hateful political beliefs.

Honestly everything you posted just sounds like you don't like living in modern society, or more specifically anywhere slightly left leaning in modern society.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Accusing people of being hypocrites is the laziest insult possible though. I don't even think goons go around acting like they are the greatest people ever, but even if they are, I don't see how liking chatting about movies/tv/sex like normal people invalidates that. Is everyone supposed to spend all their time posting about how much they donated to charity?

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

silence_kit posted:

Here we go with the moralizing . . . the implication you are making here is that e.g. using the term 'r*tard' makes you less than a normal human being.

Lmao. Okay please keep using that word with all your friends and family and co-workers, I'm sure they all think your really cool and badass, I bet it really owns the wokes when you get fired.

E: No seriously where have these people come from in the last couple of days, "have you considered discriminating against be for using slurs is as bad as being discriminated against?" Yes using slurs does make you less than a normal human being. Feels like a few people on SA have woke up from 4chan 15 years ago all of a sudden.

Annabel Pee has a new favorite as of 19:42 on Jan 22, 2023

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I think (hope) we can all agree that even if it is true, being insecure and moaning about women not liking you because your short is loosing you a lot more date opportunities than the height itself.

This is coming from a short ish person, I’ve never mentioned height on my dating apps, because I genuinely don’t think about it, and never had anyone disappointed about me not being tall.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

alexandriao posted:

The problems I see with a technological solution (i.e. a "governor"):

- People will psychologically treat the car as safer because it contains the governor, in situations where it doesn't make sense.

Every time you say this I can only see this:

https://imgur.com/a/WFAmiE1

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

A specifically British take on comedy and possible PHMO is that panel shows loving suck. No comedian gets to have an interesting act or character on them, just clearly rehearsed bon mots by the blandest, mid-sized theatre performing stand-ups. Cheap to make and insulting to watch.

I do enjoy some of the other panel shows but you should give Would I Lie To You a shot. The format prevents it being full of scripted bits and everyone seems to genuinely have a good time on there and it is hilarious.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i don't need to pretend, compare the best british comedy: The Office, Alan Partridge, Only fools and horses, Bottom, The young Ones, Spaced what are you yanks going to put up against that? The big bang theory? lol

you are probably right about the duo's thing tbf

Lol at putting Only fools on the list though. I find it funny if I switch of my brain when my parents put it on but it is still definitely a UK Big Bang Theory of its day.

Every English person of my parents age won’t just accept you giving a light chuckle at Del Boy falling through the bar, you have to understand why it’s the funniest moment in TV history and how great his comedic timing is in falling through the bar.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

pales in comparison to Triggers broom

That’s fair Triggers broom introduced the Ship of Theseus to a whole generation.

E: just remembered the Stewart Lee bit lol

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7J1J_iHC2Qw

Annabel Pee has a new favorite as of 18:51 on Aug 23, 2023

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

This discussion is reminding me of one of my own unpopular opinions: it's weird as hell how people use the word "we" to refer to a group of completely different people, as long as they're from from the same country. As in, "we won the Battle of Lorem Ipsum in 1916." Or sometimes it's a different group identity, such as a sports fan whose only part in the games is watching them on TV saying "we won against Green Bay last night". Who did all this, again?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xN1WN0YMWZU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Shithouse Dave posted:

I haven’t seen dweebs in years.

Turn off your monitor.