Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If you can spend hours on social media railing against The Wrong People then you have time to educate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

Gee, I wonder if this movie is trying to say anything about women or feminism.

I loving loved Fury Road, but when Nux gets that :smug: who killed the world :smug: putdown aimed at him it struck me as weird and hurt itself a bit. Nux wasn't even born before the apocalypse happened and is just as much a victim of Immortan Joe as anyone else. Shifting blame onto Nux was a really weird moment that seemed at odds with its message.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Tone policing only effects assholes.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Fister Roboto posted:

For whatever reason some people think that "being angry doesn't mean you're wrong" actually means "you can be an rear end in a top hat as long as you're right".

Yeah, ha. While I sincerely doubt anyone is arguing in good faith when they resort to tone policing, someone acting like an incredibly smug, abrasive prick because they have The Right Opinion is somehow even more insufferable.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Live blogs of films are hilarious for that.

00:52: omg Arnie's on screen!

00:53: omg Arnie's killing dudes!

00:55: one liner, lols!

I just...don't get it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Grandmother of Five posted:

ranking different types of oppressiveness re: gender, sexuality and race is dumb because one type of oppression never actually justifies another.

Along those lines, even ironic "heh bring on white genocide :smug:" shitposting does nothing but you look creepy and weird. Racism and other poo poo like it is bad no matter who it's aimed at.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Eating rear end is not sexy.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Looking at things that happened yesterday is for jerks and normies.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Pick posted:

He does in the QI pilot, even if it's ribbing it's ridiculous coming from someone who genuinely doesn't seem as bright.

Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie take the piss out of each other all the time.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The smell of pot simply accentuates the stench of failure and misery.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Git Gud is a perfectly acceptable response to someone's failings in a FROM game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That counts as neither unpopular or opinion. It's fact. :colbert:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
NCIS' goofy forensic poo poo is half the fun and getting angry over its inaccuracies is missing the point.

Gibbs. :allears:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

yeah I eat rear end posted:

"apparently". Did you even cover the american electoral process in school? This wasn't some surprise, everyone knows the electoral college exists and is the only thing that matters.

The annoying thing is if situations would have been reversed and the trumpsters were the ones calling for the dissolution of the electoral college, CNN and all the woke people would be calling them undemocratic traitors.

Yeah, like, uh, did the USA only just notice the wonkiness in its electoral system or are they just suddenly surprised it worked against their apparent desire for change.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Aesop Poprock posted:

No one responds to FAROOQ anymore cause everything they post is blatant

FAROOQ's posting is good and a nice way of hosing down the circle jerk IOSM turns into.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I dunno, she posts literally the same thing as others in that thread, just from The Wrong Side. That alone makes people in there really really angry.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Which is more often than not an allusion to something in that particular poster's history. Like how she kept responding #KillAllMen and #WhiteGenocide to people who'd been pushing those on twitter and bragging about their social media prowess in the thread.

Anything that dilutes the white noise of IOSM's circle jerk is good, IMO.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Aesop Poprock posted:

If that's what she's doing then that's way over my head although her feigned hatred of white people but support of conservative alt-right stuff is pretty widespread and I haven't seen any deviation from it

As I said

poptart_fairy posted:

I dunno, she posts literally the same thing as others in that thread, just from The Wrong Side. That alone makes people in there really really angry.

:v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Aesop Poprock posted:

The IOSM thread isn't exactly sympathetic to white people so I dunno how that would play in

The "feigned hatred of white people" thing. Jesus, so many goons really play on that it gets tiring. You have the feeling half these people would be flagellating themselves between posts about their whiteness, if time on imgur allowed it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Then gets very angry when someone mentions they're not a huge fan of Undertale. It's all circular, really. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well, Jack Dee wasn't wrong in that case...

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If you are stuck in a dead-end retail job and make no attempt to change this, you have no grounds to complain. :colbert:

Seen so many people who are just treading water but absolutely refusing to make any sort of move. What the hell are you expecting at that point.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The job market is absolutely hosed these days. A lot of people would love to make some kind of move, but if the oppertunity doesn't exist, of course they can't.

I specified people who make no effort, not people who make the effort but have no opportunities.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Food needs growing, arses need wiping, and engines need fixing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

One becomes the other naturally. I've been unemployed for 3 years now, due to a lack of local opportunities, and it's demoralizing as gently caress. I don't blame anyone who abandons the pointless searching if they can live without it.

OK but I'm still talking about people who don't make that initial effort.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Farming, nursing and engineering are stable industries tho'.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I suspect the context of my post was missed.

Field Mousepad posted:

Mechanic work is always needed, my dad has been doing it for 30 years and he can go anywhere and pretty much tell his employer how much he wants to be paid. Good move on your part!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Blue Star posted:

Nah

:smirks while tilting head back and to the left, shaking head slowly:

lol

You seem weirdly agitated about an off the cuff response to a separate discussion.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't think anyone's taking issue with people identifying with those characters, it's just that there's a really weird tendency to latch on to a creepy degree and start projecting all these incredibly weird things onto the storyline. Similar to how while Overwatch is a good game with a decently progressive, varied cast, the fanbase just seems to stick with making everyone gently caress each other and calling it there.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Das Boo posted:

I like that people were so obsessed with polygons that look like a woman's butt that they took it as a personal affront when the polygons were rearranged to not zero in on the polygon butt so much. I also like it when said polygons are canonically deemed gay, which too is a personal affront.
I'm lying, I don't like it.

Hey if you want to see some real fireworks imply that someone's only happy about her being gay because it vindicates their slash fic, rather than because it's progressive. :v:

e; Really I'm just kind of annoyed I got turned off of the game because so many goons and friends outside the forum kept posting and sharing cleavagey, "sexy" fan art all the time - ironically of course - that it got pretty loving grating. I don't care about Mercy's tits for crying out loud, just help me deal with the Tracer Meta. :saddowns:

poptart_fairy has a new favorite as of 23:53 on Feb 3, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

I've not actually run into any of the fan art or poo poo but everyone in the game is a weird lumpy monster drawn in like 8 bit graphics and are fairly child-like character, or explicitly children. Many are barely humanoid. Tons of them are gay or bi or ungendered (how progressive!) of course probably just to please the errotic fan fiction community.

See, I don't think Blizzard are really to blame there (unlike, say, Bioware who include fuckable NPCs as a selling point) - they've just included a decently varied bunch of people in the game without any fanfare about it, something that the industry needs to do more of. The actual players base "these two characters stand next to each other" as "these two characters are loving and you are a homophobic piece of poo poo if you don't agree".

The backlash against Tracer being confirmed gay was funny as hell, but there's always been an odd level of projection in the fandom.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Das Boo posted:

Nah, I getcha on this point. It's real loving irritating when people are only for your sexuality if they can wank to it and the concept of a platonic relationship is nonexistent because everyone must be loving. I'm always a little bit bugged by the notion that it's okay to have a lesbian couple in media as long as they're hot. (AND THEN THEY KISS AS I WATCH!) It's not as often you see a gay male couple or, heaven forbid, an older/less attractive lesbian couple. Or, you know, that these characters are people beyond who they gently caress.

I don't know, this seems to be primarily a problem with American projects. I've watched plenty of foreign shows where I find myself thinking, "Oh, wow. The gay couple are characters."

Yeah, a lot of games are going through this weird quasi-progressive-but-kinda-fetishy thing where they include a lot of conventionally attractive lesbian couples (and quite a few seem to be of the barely legal sort...), considering that enough to be going on with. I'm starting to project my own poo poo into the topic though so will call it there. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
When diversity amounts to a couple of low effort archetypes I don't think it's unreasonable to be a little disgruntled. :shrug:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You should try a few MMOs, especially those with a strong roleplaying population. People get obsessed fast, and the line between character and player is uncomfortably thin a lot of the time.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think we're speaking across each other here. I assumed V3 was responding to me and Das Boo talking about the relatively limited selection of progressive characters in fiction, rather than the comments about Overwatch.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jerry Cotton posted:

Characters are not important per se, except to children.

Eh, having a wide variety of characters representing different blocks of life is a key part of normalizing that stuff in a wider society. I will admit that's a very dramatic way to phrase it. :v:

Field Mousepad posted:

I misunderstood you my bad!

:hfive:

poptart_fairy has a new favorite as of 01:25 on Feb 4, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just use the ignore function without proclaiming it, dummy.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It is OK to admit people who share your political views can be unhelpful dickheads without attributing their actions to "false flags".

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh sure, I won't deny the entertainment value to trolling efforts, but it does get irritating when any sort of negativity surrounding a movement gets pushed back as a false flag, or the conniving machinations of a third party. Like, dickheads exist in all walks of life. A movement isn't going to be held back if it falls short of total, utter perfection and trying to whitewash nasty individuals within it just strikes me as a bit desperate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Also I really wish the reason for this avatar was explained. They're getting a bit obscure now. :psyduck: