Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

The first wave of punk rock was some of the most cynical manufactured culture industry bullshit ever recorded and whatever artistic value punk has came later in the '80s. Who the gently caress thinks bands put together by managers are authentic underground music? And most of the "pretentious" "bloated" prog bands that came before were scrappy groups of friends who lived in or near poverty, hardly able to even dream of having lasers in their stage shows like Yes or Pink Floyd. The greatest movement ever to come out of rock music got assassinated by the industry in favor of the loving Sex Pistols.

E: then they did it again in the early '90s by convincing people that every metal band with an actual singer was the same as Nelson or Britny Fox and yet another wave of bland blooze-based bands that celebrated their own mediocrity was "authentic" and "alternative", but this time alternative didn't even get an actual underground subculture to redeem it in the end like punk did.

Who are the alleged fake and manufactured punk bands other than the Sex Pistols, who everyone already knows this about? And your spin on 90s alternative sounds more like you are deeply unaware of what was going on there than anything about the actual alternative subculture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Prog bands were giving in fully to their pop influences by the time punk exploded and like 99% of prog bands that stepped in to replace them in the years since have just been shamelessly aping their forebears to boring results (looking at you, entire Neo-Prog movement).

Hair metal also remained popular for a years after Nevermind. Bon Jovi still managed to rack up hits into the 2000s. It mostly died out because all trends do.

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 17:05 on Nov 28, 2023

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Trad and especially power metal were never popular enough to be replaced in the culture by alternative rock. Metal’s more extreme subgenres had taken over the underground by that point and of course Europe’s own take on power metal (which in my experience is the kind that gets called gay while USPM “has balls”) flourished in that decade. Traditional heavy metal didn’t have anything new left to say. Dickinson and Halford both left their main bands. Now all of these genres have revival movements.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Chicago’s entire white American-born population is people from elsewhere in the Midwest that wanted to move somewhere with more culture and stuff to do.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's we when we win, but them when they lose. Not hard to grasp.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He and Dirnt are definitely a big part of their 90s success and why I still like Dookie/Insomniac.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ommin posted:

I saw that on their new tour they are playing Dookie and American Idiot in full. I assume that's because mid-90s kids and early 2000s kids are the only fanbases they have left (I am the former).

Yes but it's also the 30th and 20th anniversary of those, respectively, which is always a good excuse when you're a legacy act.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

There's only one zapdos too but you didn't come out swinging at that dude.

There are actually two since the introduction of regional variants. Galarian Zapdos is a fighting type that moves like a giant roadrunner.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I had a story problem about appreciation that was like "The Dutch bought Manhattan from natives for $64. But what if the Indians invested their money?"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I am the furthest thing from its target audience so please let me know if I'm just being stupid, but my gf has been watching a bunch of RuPaul's Drag Race lately and the show's presentation just makes it weird and kind of disquieting. There's no live audience for a performance medium that's usually in front of raucous club crowds? Everything they do is just in front of like three people and the camera will suddenly cut to Ru laughing while his facial expression remains completely still? Sometimes Nancy Pelosi is there? I assumed since she's catching up on old All-Stars that this was a peak pandemic thing but apparently it's just how the show operates. It feels like if American Idol took place entirely in the audition rooms, or if sports were just in empty gyms like the NBA bubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fagtastic posted:

Huh. I like and am the target audience for drag race but that's a really good point. At least one of the recurring challenges should obviously be crowd work, I have no idea why it isn't.

It’s probably a logistical issue because much of the show really takes place backstage and you realistically couldn’t get enough done in one taping to make it worth an audience’s while. So like I get it but I’m mostly surprised at how popular the show is compared to how weirdly low rent it feels.