Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Year ago, when reading Monster by Naoki Urasawa, there was a chapter centered around a kindly old reformed hitman who enjoyed sugar in his coffee. At the time, I was still concerned about appearing more mature by drinking black coffee despite, as a tea drinker, really not having a taste for unsweetened coffee in a slightest. That sweet coffee reminded the hitman of the little things in life he enjoyed and, through a spark of empathy for a target who enjoyed the same amount of sugar in his own coffee, triggered the process of him eventually rekindling his sense of humanity.

It was a cozy and not particularly daring or novel story but, in a small way, it helped convince a younger me not to be concerned about pretense and just have coffee how I liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Coffee with sugar is still black coffee

in terms of color you're technically correct

the best kind of correct

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

oh no

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think it all comes down to how much tolerance one has for young John Connor.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Community's first episode is weak but the series as a whole is fantastic in a weird comedy sort of way. It didn't find a very large audience though, probably because it was really weird compared to the standard US sitcom

Also it gave Childish Gambino his big break, so credit where credit is due

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My perspective on British TV is skewed because the vast bulk of my exposure to it, in ascending order of volume, goes from GBBO, to marathon binges of pirated QI (XL cut), and the entirety of FFXIV's post-ARR English dub cast.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I cannot relax while there are unwashed dishes in my sink

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Please don't let dishes accumulate for a week. Just do them.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

There are some good pickles out there

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gordon Freeman could probably take em

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

credburn posted:

People my age who say "cringe" or "fail" but as adjectives and nouns. I know the language is fluid as gently caress and allows this sort of thing, but it feels like turning your baseball cap backwards and forcing yourself to say new trendy words to disguise the encroachment of age. Though I did recently find myself using the word "literally" when I absolutely meant "figuratively" so gently caress me, too.

This is a much older version of the more modern phenomenon where millennials use "no cap" and "fr"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I look forward to a few years from now when zoomers remake the millennial "i turned 30 and my bones have ground to dust" memes

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I assume dentistry

Cap like a crown/fake tooth

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It means that you aren't lying because you aren't exaggerating (ie going over the top) (ie cap).

ah

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jen heir rick posted:

I'm with you Gripweed. Your idea is dumb, but not because you won't post your stats.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Killingyouguy! posted:

Good. The customer always being right is used to justify so much harassment of minimum wage employees

Yeah

I'm imagining the guy who's angry that you're now expected to treat servers or retail workers with basic human decency because you're a "guest"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I want to see someone design a Beaux-Arts skyscraper

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

a vampire cannot enter a dojo until first invited

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

oldpainless posted:

How about you put that in English for those of us without masters in computer science, Nerd

change your shorts into watches

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

you gotta swallow the drink before you put the food in your mouth

and vice versa

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Punkinhead posted:

Well said. Bullshitting can be so mild that it basically just means small talk. For example you can bullshit with your coworkers about which dragon ball character is the best. Horseshit has no chill, it is exclusively used for objectively bad or wrong things.

I hadn't really thought about it but yeah, this all tracks

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Miles Morales has been a Spiderman since 2011 and the only people who took offense to that were and are racists.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If western fantasy had more historically authentic aesthetics it would at least look visually interesting but everything just looks generic. D&D 3e defined an aesthetic that was meant to be timeless but wound up just being kind of boring comic booky, in a lazy movie costume design sort of way. And western fantasy continues to take cues from that in varying degrees.

It's rare to find Witcher 3-tier historical authenticity (it's just medieval Poland with monsters and elves) or design clarity and cohesion like that of the LotR movies. A lot of that is budget but some of that is just a lack of creative spark.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

And sometimes you straight up put magic and fantasy into your historical fiction. See: Luo Guanzhong

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

War and industry alike rob us of our humanity --------------------------------------------------->

Wow cool sword!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Oh in that case nevermind, if they don’t want to talk about Delicious in Dungeon, gently caress them.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

my grandmother used a rice cooker, my mother used a rice cooker, and by God so do I

the fact that I am also a weeb is irrelevant

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

drat it's almost like every culture that eats rice as a staple food would, if given the opportunity, choose the method to prepare it quickly, conveniently, and consistently, without pretense or misplaced egotism.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nameless Pete posted:

Hey now, I said feebs, not weebs. Though I suppose there is going to be a some overlap.

lmao, but also

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Grassy Knowles posted:

holy poo poo

piss

these jabronis never heard of dreams

they probably have aphantasia, it's fine

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Here's a PHUO; this thread needs to change it's tag so I stop confusing it for another thread with a similar tag

lmfao

Nameless Pete posted:

Any Julia Roberts part could have been performed better by Sandra Bullock, even (perhaps especially) the role of "Julia Roberts" in Ocean's Twelve.

yeah probably

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hot Warhammer 40k take incoming: the imperial guard is the lamest faction by far.

"they are mere regular people like us, taking on the horrors of space" ok except I also play historical games for my historical fix. In 40k I am here for the aliens and space knights and poo poo. The guard is boring. Being told "heheheh, everyone else likes space marines and space elves and space fungus guys and swarms of bugs but I know the truth, bland humans are best" sucks. And the supported guard at the moment are dudes in gridiron footballxstarship troopers suits and extra cool tactical trenchcoat and gasmask guys. They just suck. That's just call of duty with clown car lookin tanks.

And in the lore GW seems to have no idea if they're disposable hordes of conscripted mooks, or heroic badasses who use good ol' human know-how.

Get out of my space fiction, guards. I wanna see the genetically-altered space knight punch an alien mech suit to death.

they fulfill a niche in the genre fantasy that those other factions don't and those space knights already dominate the scene to the point of oversaturation

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

furthermore,

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Warhammer seems lame as hell.

you're right

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

In my opinion Trader Joe's is the Nintendo Switch of the American grocery landscape

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

Also this entire thread is hot takes by people with axes to grind so I don't know what you were expecting :shrug:

this thread is about workshopping a hot take in a low stakes peer feedback context

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Blue Moonlight posted:

For example, this clip is the only anime I like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jnecnhS-Z4

what does he mean go back to work

is this just a hobby for this man

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Puritans tried to ban Christmas in England so the English banned the Puritans.

That said the version of Christmas in question had a lot more drunken reveling so maybe we should bring that back.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Poinsettia Tension is a good Gundam name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

And now both properties are devalued