Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Everything I like is for mature, reasonable adults and everything I don't like is for idiot thumb-sucking babies.

But unironically!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If you don't move away from childish things naturally and organically as you turn into an adult, you are developmentally stunted.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jerry Cotton posted:

Scientists say the opposite, though. I wonder who is right, goon or the science community?

You are posting in the A/T, so presumably you trust goons to have all the right answers.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

Lol you are too good for the entire medium of comics but think it's a travesty that people don't respect Stargate SG1 or Babylon 5 or whatever enough. Seems like the pot calling the kettle black.

All comics are bad. Only most TV shows / movies / novels are bad.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

areyoucontagious posted:

Qft

Hyperbole aside, I think I actually meant to say people in soulless jobs that are clearly not fantastic talented people who are great at their jobs. So only old bitter pieces of poo poo that are a loving drag all the time should be forced out. Obama looks like he could probably be cool at a corporate party

They should just kill all the olds.

Except for me, I'm a pillar of community and too highly regarded to be disposable.

lol, go gently caress yourself.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Theatre and music halls were the foremost gathering places for all classes prior to the advent of recorded picture and sound. The first time the police in America were armed with firearms was due to a massive deadly conflict between two factions of theatre goers (populists vs elitists), the Astor Place Riot. In London in 1809 people rioted for two months over the increase in admission fees (Old Price Riots). Illustrated song books with lyrics and sheet music, with themes ranging from religious to humorous to titillating, were incredibly popular wares at markets, and pretty much the equivalent of modern records. So were cantastories, storyboards used to guide audiences throughout popular songs as the performer combined musical and dramatic elements to entertain a crowd.

Etc, etc.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 11:58 on Dec 28, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WampaLord posted:

Here's my unpopular opinion:

People put too much importance on music. To me, music is something you have on in the car while driving or hear while out in a bar, not something to form an identity around, unless you are a musician.

It's also the most subjective art form. I think 99% of people could agree that The Godfather is a better movie than something like White Chicks, but good luck getting people to agree on any sort of "best" bands.

I think that's because music is actually the easiest to judge objectively, and the truly awful artists don't get anywhere. If a musician / singer can't play any chords reliably or hit a note, he either fails, or gets digitally altered to fit the pretty rigidly defined norm which has been formalized over centuries of musical practice. If an actor "cannot act", it often isn't a real obstacle.

So in the end the mainstream music industry is full of competent content, and any argument is over style rather than substance (similar to having an argument that Godfather is trash because it is boringly literal and conventional, while Space Odyssey is good because it is experimental - while clearly both movies are technically excellent)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

Is that really that hard to understand?

Yes, the obsession with getting everything the moment it comes out - be it movies, games, music - makes no sense. The world is flooded with preexisting entertainment you can enjoy in the meantime, why would you constrain yourself to watching stuff RIGHT AWAY instead at your leisure, whenever it becomes most convenient for you?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Maybe you want to participate in the conversations everyone you know is going to be having about it for the brief time after it comes out :shrug:? There's nothing wrong with waiting to see it especially if you're not enthusiastic about it, but it's not some bizarre impossible to understand phenomenon that some people prefer to see it as soon as they can. Haven't you ever really wanted to see a movie or play a new game? Why wait if you don't have to?

You can talk about the older things as well. It is certainly going to be more interesting than "Did you see that new superhero flick?" "Yup." "Yup." "So see you later."

It's not bizarre, but people are in general way too obsessed with immediate consumption. Personally I have a hard time juggling all the things I want to do so I often end up playing or watching something I was enthusiastic about a year or more after release, and don't feel any worse off for it.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 08:42 on Dec 29, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

I'd love to take a bet on that one.

Nobody is buying VR anymore. Maybe there will be a new generation a couple years from now that will do better, but it will most likely remain a very niche product, like flight simulator sticks and other dedicated gamer crap.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

Wanna provide some stats on that? Afaik the Sony one has consistently sold extremely well. The other ones are super expensive and as niche as you'd expect.

Don't know about Sony, but the Steam VR adoption rates have enjoyed effectively zero growth since the summer.

I remember during the height of the VR craze people on tech podcasts were raving about converting entire rooms into VR playpens. Well, I guess if you are an ivory tower West Coast professional with that sort of resources to throw around, I guess I see why you would think VR was the light, but just lol.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 08:23 on Dec 30, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Any poll I can find has most of the respondents disinterested, and mind you those are on sites with audiences self-selected to be composed of people most likely to be VR enthusiasts and early adopters in general. This poll comes closer to having some sort of parity of positive and negative views, and that's only because the ambiguous / negative vote is eroded into a bunch of options.

https://slashdot.org/poll/2731/how-interested-are-you-in-virtual-reality-tech

You seem to have little perspective on what is actually popular in the wider population that isn't part of the tiny enthusiast gamer segment.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Sorry that not everybody is going to slobber all over your dumb toys.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

Sorry I tried to actually engage you on some level sad, angry loving loser.

I mean, you can pay me those five bucks if you insist, I don't care.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You seem to be very mad, red and nude over a toy. Sometimes it's good to just kick back and relax.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Imo the successful AR/VR products of the future will be conceptually derived from stuff like the Hololens rather than the Oculuses etc.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It was pretty hilarious when there was a media storm prior and immediately after the election to crucify Taylor Swift for not educating her audiences about politics and who to vote for.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pick posted:

You say that, but the bottom-shelf vodka in the Czech Republic was like $3 a liter, and you do not want it

Still better than the rum-flavored spirits sitting next to it. :barf:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Tattooing and piercing are either older than, or as old as, writing. Humans have been modifying our bodies in various weird ways for ever. Acting like it's some kind of moral failing that only bad people get is absurd. We've always done it.

People have always been poo poo.

We have also always partaken in ritualistic cannibalism, but Jeffrey Dahmer isn't walking free.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

You Are A Elf posted:

Henceforth, I shall now refer to hamburger[s] as "cow mash."

After all it's a diner smash.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
All Disney movies end with the villains getting their way because royalty is the greatest evil of them all.

E: gently caress you, Little Mermaid, feudalism is not acceptable any more

E: Or would Little Mermaid be theocracy? That's even worse.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If I know Disney, Tramp was probably some exiled archduke from Eastern Europe, cursed into the form of a dog, arrrg

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Check out The Unbelievable Truth with David Mitchell for how to host this sort of show properly. Fry was too much of a smug blowhard, and it wore on me fast.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I don't think I've ever run into somebody that's considered Speedy Gonzales racist nor have I seen that on the internet, ever. He's a mouse from Mexico that wears a big hat and goes fast. Big deal. I have, however, heard comments on his cousin Slowpoke Rodriguez being a racist character. He's slow, lazy, and carries a gun. Kind of matches some negative stereotypes.

Then again Slowpoke Rodriguez is apparently very popular as well.

In a shocking twist, nations can have negative stereotypes / views of themselves, and even enjoy laughing at them. Also see: My avatar, to an extent.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Americans are totally better than almost all other tourists, but their demeanor is still that of uncanny valley robots.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
IMHO politicians, lobbyists and accredited journalists should be banned from posting on Twitter. It should be a social media platform, not a loving political psy-op arena.

OTOH, Twitter has been great for breaking news from largely out of reach areas abroad like Syria, so maybe I'm wrong.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's fine for a private service to enforce arbitrary rules. That's why Twitter should not be used as a place of public discourse with potentially grave consequences.

Anyway Twitter is gonna go bankrupt soon, so it's not like this debate is going to matter.

Unless President Trump buys it out and establishes it as an extension of the White House staff.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What the gently caress are their expenses. They don't own anything, except for an app. Are they subsidizing their drivers from their own (well, their venture capitalist pals') pockets?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

So the worst I suspected was charitable. Jesus loving Christ, this piece of poo poo is literally just a timed bomb designed to destroy traditional employment and crush labor activism, with no real goal of creating a viable alternative.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
THere should be no expectation that anybody without a share in an enterprise would do more than precisely the amount of work stated in his contract.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Pro-wrestling is an inherently immoral, barbaric form of entertainment that represents the decadence and downfall of American culture, and its toxic influence on the world.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Selling senseless violence to children as entertainment is wrong.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Aesop Poprock posted:

This argument has been done over and over again but that describes any sort of fight or action scene in a movie, show or play ever. Do you think it's weird that people pretend to do things for entertainment

Unlike other form of media, wrestling has no other purpose (artistic, narrative, symbolic) than to show people hitting each other. It uncritically embraces and commercially exploits the darkest aspects human nature like a gladiatorial arena of today. It's a "sport" for sociopaths and stunted people, no matter if it is nominally "fake" (the culture it promotes certainly isn't fake, and neither is the fact that pretty much everybody involved in it professionally seems to be a terrible person on some level).

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 09:11 on Jan 16, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Aesop Poprock posted:

Are you familiar with professional wrestling even as a concept because it sounds more like you're describing a (again, totally flawed) version of MMA

At least MMA promotes athleticism and has some semblance of sportsmanship, instead of building "narratives" around violence. Just being "cartoonish" or garish isn't a defense, if anything it just is more troubling because it attempts to trivialize and conceal the underlying issues.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Aesop Poprock posted:

How is it different than a comic book, tv show or movie where the good guy beats up all the bad guys

None of those things are nearly as braindead and direct in placing the bouts of violence itself as the centerpiece to be admired, while actually physically damaging the "performers" in the process (and it's not like there is something to be admired about loads of other media - just because I only mentioned one form of perverse brutishness doesn't mean I advocate for others). As I said, even MMA carries with it positive connotations, but not wrestling, which is just the face of depravity laid out as bare as modern society allows.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
"It's just like my animes" is not an endorsement, hth

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Talk shows would be vastly improved if they had no live audience.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's a well-written, well-acted show that is about the kids, not about the monster and the mystery. It's more like a character drama than a horror show.

I'm talking about Seinfeld, just to be clear.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I have no idea what any of this means.

Ready Player One is an awful novel whose only point is "GUYS, DO YOU REMEMBER THAT VIDEO GAMES ARE A THING"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jastiger posted:

Anyone that marched yesterday but doesnt vote in EVERY upcoming election for the next 10 years (if eligible) is a massive piece of poo poo and just as bad as Trump supporters. Ive told all my friends this to my face and im dead serious. The marchers are right, but if you dont vote on it when you can, then you're useless.

What are YOU going to do, Jastiger, besides masturbating to Lena "Left's Greatest Enemy" Dunham and whining about Jefferson Davis.