Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Most religious people are very happy with where they are, but I'm sure they would appreciate your sadbrains edgy "concern".

Or

yeah I eat rear end posted:

There certainly are mentally ill religious people, but trying to paint them all with the same brush like Jastiger likes to do is ignorant. Don't be a Jastiger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Poodles are the superior dog breed.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
lol that San Francisco "gave" anybody a form of bread that has been made for millenia.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Solice Kirsk posted:

No. He'd be the monster everyone is currently pretending Trump is.

And then there's Paul Ryan who is just a political Terminator who has thrown away all pretense of social conservatism and just wants to see children dying in the streets and being ground up in industrial machinery.

Ytlaya posted:

Initially I thought he would be the same or worse, but Trump is doing a lot of really bizarre stuff that "normal" Republican presidents probably wouldn't do*. Normal Republicans are constrained by the fact that they have to at least maintain the veneer of responsibility and sanity, but Trump seems a lot more...active than I was expecting him to be.

* For example the fact that he seems like he's going to continue trying to build the wall, or the literally insane voter fraud investigation stuff. Or the thing with freezing EPA grants/contracts. Or the fact he's still talking about cutting US funding to the UN. There's a lot of stuff I was hoping was just campaign talk, but it seems he's actually trying to follow through with it.

Eh, that wall stuff is the least insane part of his platform, it was a bullet point for every past president including Bill Clinton, and it effectively already exists, except it's a wall of men and patrol cars rather than concrete. The really worrying thing is that he will sign anything the Congress Republicans bring to him so he can get back to tweeting about TV shows.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 11:10 on Jan 28, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
As B. Fuller saidī: "We should do away with the absolutely specious notion that everybody has to earn a living. It is a fact today that one in ten thousand of us can make a technological breakthrough capable of supporting all the rest. The youth of today are absolutely right in recognizing this nonsense of earning a living. We keep inventing jobs because of this false idea that everybody has to be employed at some kind of drudgery because, according to Malthusian Darwinian theory he must justify his right to exist. So we have inspectors of inspectors and people making instruments for inspectors to inspect inspectors. The true business of people should be to go back to school and think about whatever it was they were thinking about before somebody came along and told them they had to earn a living."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It is a societal problem that the immediate assumption of people is "we would just be lazy and depressed if we didn't have jobs". We have been so thoroughly worn down and de-socialized / atomized / dehumanized by the wage system and private ownership of production that we can't even imagine a fulfilling existence of living according to our preferences even when offered a blank check in the form of a hypothetical scenario. It's the ultimate Stockholm Syndrome.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

hard counter posted:

i think modern society has just excessively abstracted the original 'you help me, i help you' co-operation of pre-industrial societies via the wage system so that we're totally disconnected from the idea that others are working their asses off to make sure our basic requirements are met, i can't imagine just being handed all my meals, my shelter, my healthcare, etc without wanting to put something back - if someone were building my house i would want to give in return something commensurate

in a hunter-gatherer society there's no way you could look anyone else in the eye if you were the piece of poo poo loaf who selfishly consumed the works of others while doing nothing of note or even making an attempt at contribution if you were able-bodied
Yes. At the same time having an income independent on conventional employment doesn't mean you would have to be a drag on your community. Historically an immense amount of communal work was done without any form of formal employment, and arguably today the sphere of publicly benefitial activities that need not be performed under a contract is much broader than at any point in history. The problem is that there are no communities in today's society, so a common reaction is "if I don't have a job, I must sit in my apartment, watching TV", implicitly because I'm just a guy existing on my own, outside society.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Mayo is a perfectly fine thing. It's just oil and eggs, ideally, and as such it's an incredibly versatile ingredient. Just use it in moderation.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

What, exactly, do you think those kids are doing on those phones if not socializing in some manner?

Phone is not a replacement for actual socialization, or even just observing one's surroundings. Also kids who grew up with intensive use of phones and other gadgets during their formative years have worse kinesthetic skills.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
lol if you really think that

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Blue Star posted:

Star Wars is bad. Harry Potter is bad. Doctor Who is bad. The Hunger Games is bad. Game of Thrones is bad. Stephen Universe is bad. Adventure Time is bad. The Marvel Cinematic Universe is bad. Marvel comics in general are bad. The DC cinematic universe is bad. DC comics in general are bad. Star Trek is bad. Disney cartoons are bad. Pixar movies are bad.

Well, yeah, all those things ARE bad, but you are only picking trash and saying it is representative of everything.

Also you are Blue Star, so your opinions are inherently wrong.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MisterBibs posted:

"The truth is in the middle" isn't always wrong. Sure, there are times when it isn't, but still.

Truth is almost always between the two most extreme opinions. The problem is that there are people who think that things always need to be moderated between two positions, even if it makes no sense. For instance you may say "truth is in the middle" of the GOP and Democrats. Well, buddy, saying that the truth lies somewhere between Stalinism and Nazism would make sense, though it would be min-killingly banal, but the two American parties are already IN THE MIDDLE of the possible spectrum, so close to each other that they are nearly indistinguishable on most issues, and the recent flurry of outsiders just demonstrates it by contrasting the historical trend with an ACTUAL existence of relatively radical stances.

So saying the truth is in the middle between Democrats and GOP is infuriating because they are not extremist forces, they are the most milquetoast centrist market-tested parties, and you assholes still think they are too far leaning in either way? It's an opinion that says politics need to be diluted to a point where it becomes just a self-serving technocracy.

And if the balance shifts so one party becomes radical, and the other remains centrist as hell - they will still say the truth is in the middle, even though the middle is now somewhere else entirely.

The same can be applied to other contexts as well.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 11:14 on Feb 3, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

This is how I feel about frame rates in most video games.

I used to think I was unable to meaningfully tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps. Then I got a better monitor. It also matters that not all framerates are equal despite having technically the same numbers. A graphics card can output a high framerate, but still cause some stuttering by making the duration of individual frames inconsistent, thus absolutely ruining the benefit.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 11:12 on Feb 3, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Das Boo posted:

What is the truth between drinking a whole bottle of wine or never having any at all? Asking for a friend.

On the one hand, you can drink a bottle of wine. On the other, you can drink a bottle of vodka. The truth is a mixture between these natural extremes.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Grandmother of Five posted:

I'm not familiar with specific definitions of English words in methodology, but ideology, whether it is political, religious or strictly based in ethics, isn't based on logic, but on faith-based convictions at their cores. Of course there is reasoning, though, but it is inherently faith-based.

Ideology is nearly always based on logic. That doesn't mean its axioms or logical operations cannot be flawed. Fascism is the one that comes closest to discarding logical thought, but it does come to that conclusion through a logical analysis of its basic assumptions.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Aschlafly posted:

Undertale isn't for everyone (Toby himself says he made the game for people like him)

So he's a loving tool?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Aramek posted:

Undertale is a game for furries with depression. That's why those who latch onto it do so. That's about it!

You've done it, you have finally expressed a good opinion.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't trust most people to spell their name correctly, why should I trust them to be better at driving than a hypothetical future computer.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pick posted:

Your wedding should be as beautiful as you can reasonably afford.

Spending all your money on a wedding is a cool and good way to shoot yourself in the foot during the most critical episode of your life.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
All you need to do to prove the suckiness of plains, steppes and grasslands is to look at the thousands of years when people would constantly build empires with the sole purpose of breaking out of those regions and settling anywhere else.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Charity, from the perspective of donors, is a patch you put on a problem to make yourself feel better about contributing to it. It's not even meant to solve problems, for the most part, just relieve troubled conscience.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Jastiger is just super jealous of his neighbour's cattle.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Pan's Labyrinth and Devil's Backbone are both excellent. Haven't seen any of his other movies, but Hobbit is a children's fairy tale, albeit relatively "mature", so I think based on those two xamples it would have been straight up his alley.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Baronjutter posted:

. Really interested how the now 3rd attempt at putting Dune to film is going to go.

It will be a generic sci fi movie stripped of all the imagination and "politically problematic" stuff that makes Dune stand out, because no major studio would pay for a truthful version of the book.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Duck Tales and Gummy Bears are the best animus of all time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jerry Cotton posted:

I think this opinion isn't unpopular but personally, I'd say yes and no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJglAxMaJeQ

ill fight u

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIZIE6gv1UY

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Camping is fine for people who can stand getting away from their PC / X Box for more than a day without getting the shakes, hth. I miss the times I actually had time and opportunities to camp.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hobgoblin is poo poo.

Lagers rule, and people who say they have no taste have ruined their palate with swill.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

doverhog posted:

After I stopped putting sugar in coffee and started avoiding it in general when possible, milk chocolate is just too sweet to enjoy. But, there is the new popular science theorem that liking bitter flavours means you are a psychopath, so I guess that would fall under incorrect taste buds.

A psychopath - in the bed!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Almonds are a blight one very place where they are produced-

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tiggum posted:

In Australia, "lolly" is a generic term for sweets/candy/confectionery (or whatever else you call them wherever you live).

God, is there no bottom to how awful Australia is?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

starkebn posted:

Americans call their arses a fanny or a heiny, they can gently caress off criticising other people.

Still better than bum.

British and Australian people sound like those adult baby fetishists half the time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What doesn't.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FrameRelay posted:

I work at an IT company which is shipping jobs overseas.

The reason why many jobs are moving overseas from America is because the average person in America is not motivated to be a productive person because they have never needed in their life and the high cost of their labor is not worth it.

Our culture is now based on complacency and laziness. We deserve this mess we have made.

The country where people keep working more and more hours year on year, without earning more, is full of lazy, entitled layabouts. Go choke on Ayn Rand's rotting cock.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ytlaya posted:

But isn't American objectively one of the hardest working developed nations on the planet? Like, don't Americans work longer hours than workers in other first world/developed nations (aside from maybe Japan or South Korea)?

Yes.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

My point is that I would be loyal (as in, keep working for them) to a company that has treated me well rather than take my chances on marginally better positions in terms of pay/benefits - you never know whether you'll get along with the people at the new place, or if you'll be laid off in a week, etc. It's almost always better to go with the known, safe thing as long as it is meeting your needs financially and socially/whatever.

In reality unfortunately employee loyalty is never returned anymore and people with 20 years on the job will be laid off instead of the new guy that is only 10% as productive but works for much less.

That's still a wholly self-centered behavior rather than helping a company out of gratitude.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

With multiple 500+ page threads that is an unreasonable requirement. The minimum requirement should be checking the past few pages to see if your argument has been brought up, but otherwise in a debate forum any argument should be welcomed. If it's a rehash of something that already happened, link it to them instead of probating them.

In any case, every time I look at threads in there it's just echo chambers and if someone disagrees they are a troll and get probed/banned. It is not a debate forum in any sense of the word.

The OP should keep their first post updated with rules of the thread if she wants some standard of discussion to be maintained. If she doesn't do that, it's her problem that new posters aren't as good as she would like.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Threads shouldn't have rules. There should be forum rules and that's it.

I beg to differ! Within reason, of course, and with mods having the last say. Threads should be focused and constrained if they ostensibly aim to provide thoughtful debate, as DnD claims.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
How is SNL still on air, they haven't been funny in years, just as they've not had any talent to speak of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

zh1 posted:

d&d does have opposing viewpoints, they're just limited to hard right and center right

There are like three moderately right wing posters, most of the "dissent" comes from the left wing circular firing squad.