Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
gently caress Christmas. It stays for like an entire quarter of the year and every loving Christmas song makes me want to poke holes in my ear drums. Maybe it's just 11 years of retail taking but I hate everything about Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The humour of South Park is completely embroiled in normalising xenophobic, alt-right and libertarian values. The fact it subsists nowadays as a beloved American television show tells you everything you need to know about the average American public.

Actually, the humor is in putting that poo poo in to the spotlight and making a caricature of it. At least it was while I was still watching. Dunno what it's like now.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

vintagepurple posted:

Vegans and vegetarians are fine and make some good points

Agreed until vegans start arguing that their diet is natural. A vegan diet is really hard to keep track of and maintain a balanced, healthy diet. I know it's overall bad for the environment and animal rights but I still eat meat.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

fruit on the bottom posted:

I think there's a difference between teasing and mocking as part of social pressure to conform and bullying. The latter is bad, the former is how you prevent bronies and anime later in life.

No, that kind of teasing just ends up with people retreating to where they're accepted and finding an internet hugbox as a more accepting community than their school peers. Teasing and bullying creates the "problem" you want to solve.

I don't like the brony community as much as anyone but who gives a poo poo what people like.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe
Just because graphic novels or comics are lighter reads than some books doesn't make them bad.

Part of maturity should be accepting childish things that you enjoy are enjoyable for a different reason than enjoying something "mature". Not every novel you read has to be War and Peace. Claiming that something done in someone else's leisure time is a waste makes you sound like a dumb teenager trying to act like an adult. If you don't like something, move on to something you do like.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

yeah I eat rear end posted:

You are either reading incorrect things into what I said or arguing with a made up person just so you can lecture people.

I said comics as a medium are trash because, while there are talented people and maybe even enjoyable comics in some way, they are inferior to standard books or even movies in telling a story. They try to do both and fail - take any comic and put the story in the hands of an equally talented novelist and the end product will be better, in my unpopular opinion.

As for maturity, no you don't need to read only the books you were assigned in the classics section. All I was trying to say is that the media you consume says something about you. If you read more comic books than other books and never shut up about comics and go to comic related events, I will consider you just as childlike as a 35 year old going to a harry potter convention for any other reason than "my kid really wanted to go".

Honestly, it was a tangental unpopular opinion but I can see how you mistook it for an argument. My bad.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

Dark Souls does have a story, but it all happened before you start playing.

Pretty much. You're piecing everything together after it's gone to poo poo.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

Das Boo posted:

I like the stereotype of Americans being overly boisterous. It pisses the hell outta my BIL's German relatives and it's great.

Fixed that for you.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

Das Boo posted:

Someone on here who worked in a service industry said he and his co-workers liked American tourists because they "tipped big and were genuinely impressed with anything more than 400 years old."

:3:

Don't worry, Australians think anything over 100 years old is pretty neat :downs:

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

Sentient Data posted:

Unpopular opinion to avoid a giant derail: sour candy is better than sweet candy

100% agree on this one. Warheads are my hard candy of choice.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

We Know Catheters posted:

Tapatío is the best hot sauce.

My brother.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

poptart_fairy posted:

Also I really wish the reason for this avatar was explained. They're getting a bit obscure now. :psyduck:

The last one was dumb but obvious. Your new one? No clue.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

In Australia, "lolly" is a generic term for sweets/candy/confectionery (or whatever else you call them wherever you live).

Chocolate typically isn't called a lolly here, though. :shrug:

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

Games having lootbox stuff in it isn't a big deal, or a cause to get mad over. If you don't want to use it, don't. If you want to burn money on stuff like that (hell, I'll throw clink at a mobile game I like), whatever.

I feel like 80% of the complaint is based on inane completionism.

To a degree, I agree here but games are starting to have their design based around the loot box, rather than just having them added as a way to get cosmetics and keep the multiplayer populated.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

That's the thing, I mentioned the completionist part of it. Show me someone mad about loot crates making it mandatory/required/essential, and I'd put my money down that it's really not mandatory/required/essential, you (general you) just think it is because your vision is predicated on desiring that thing you get out of a loot crate.

Nobody is making you spend the money on that stuff.

This is where it gets kinda fuzzy, because yes, you can get everything via regular paying at a pace between reasonable and glacial but our lizard brain is willing to do more for that thing it really wants but wants it quickly. You can't outright buy that really good thing so you're stuck buying boxes or earning them until you get it. There's no cap on the charge to get that one thing and making an equivalence to gambling isn't that far from the truth.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

I get that, but I feel like if you have a problem with gambling or loot-boxing because your lizard brain is so dominant that you can't control it, do the right thing and own that. Frame your rant for what it is - a personal issue based on your personality - and not the some terrible publisher thing must be fought and crusaded against. If something is too slow, I stop playing it. If I can't reasonably get the Sinestro skin so that Batman is dressed the thematically correct way, I don't get it.

The main problem is people can't admit that personal failure or knowingly have it but want to play anyway. They feel like they shouldn't be welcoming real money charges for gambling in to a game they already paid for. I'll buy cosmetics, hell, I've bought merch and been more than happy with it but I've never been satisfied with a loot box purchase, even when I got what I wanted.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It depends on how you define creeping, but he would PM women in the selfie thread a lot, which seems like a weird/creepy thing for a married guy to do.

re: game violence, isn't there almost always an option to turn blood/gore off or at least reduce it? I haven't played violent games in a while but I seem to remember most of them having that.

Serious Sam's hippie mode is one of the best examples of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe
Contrary to popular belief, chemical castration doesn't work at all. It increases both recitivism and the severity of the crime.