Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

this is Jerry Cotton from rear end Fart Inc.

can you ask someone in HR if they got my resume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pick posted:

America already has a strong undercurrent of "soft eugenics" and it's never come close to solving poo poo.

North America's getting soft, patrón, and the rest of the world is getting tough. Very, very tough. We're entering savage new times.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Nice, I think I saw that shirt at Hot Topic

lol you were in a Hot Topic

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

anchovy pizza is the best for me. hell, i love anchovies in general

:same:

Make deviled eggs, but first melt a tin of anchovies and their oil in a skillet, then mix that with the yolk mixture. It's heavenly.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

In America if you are not extremely vocal and extreme in your opinions, you are nothing

Sometimes nothing is an extremely cool thing to be.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I don't agree with the first part but the "Swearnet" seasons are definitely the worst of the main show.

I love the Trailer Park Boys, but oh man did I ever enjoy reading the merciless reviews of Swearnet: The Movie. It's weird to me that the main takeaway the people involved in TPB got from its fandom was "people are showing up to listen to us cuss." Like, that is some fifth-grade level reasoning.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

WampaLord posted:

They know their audience, though. There's a whole science behind thumbnail selection and title creation and I bet most of them are really good at analyzing viewer data.

Stab all these people to death and get their dead gay thumbnails off the internet forever.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Das Boo posted:

hanging out in a wedding dress, vengefully

Das Boo just dropped the hottest cryptic crossword clue of 2016

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Drink this, I dare you.

Tiggum, I genuinely like you, but I'm trying to imagine you drunk and I'm getting a loving divide-by-zero error

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The fact that they need to specify to drink it chilled makes me want to try it warm just to see why.

Well, you do eat rear end. Start here if you want to tempt fate with room temperature swill against all advice:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

When I was a little kid, my brother and I were told to call farts "frog gas." I still think it holds up as a fun euphemism.

Well, bye

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

You Are A Elf posted:

I think as long as you sing this while consuming the bottle, it's perfectly fine and legit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZynyHW2hfw

We also would have accepted this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJnQoi8DSE8

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Blue Star posted:

Picking your nose and getting a really satisfying booger that's been clogging your upper nostril is good.
Does anyone have a good name for those boogers that, when you finally pull them out, feel like you've unwound six yards of viscera from around the back of your optic nerve? I don't have anything as good as "frog gas" for that concept, but it's a pretty intense universal human experience.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I was really hoping for something more fun and Finnish, like "the handwriting instructor's garterbelt".

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I don't care whose ox is gored

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

There's a short movie/documentary on youtube about a family that went absolutely mental over beanie babies and put all their savings and every spare penny they had into buying them as an investment. Buying out all the local toy stores' stock as soon as they opened after getting a delivery, going on cross country trips just to find rare ones, that sort of thing. They still had thousands of worthless beanie babies all neatly sorted sitting in their basement. It seemed like they had come to their senses and accepted that they had been stupid though.

At work at the moment so I can't look it up, but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgDsyj5eLmo

It's a grim watch.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Aramek posted:

It feels like "It's okay to be different" is a central theme, and that ain't my bag, but I can see why internet people like it.

Perhaps hammering developing brains with constant and unnuanced variations on that theme has not been a universal good:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

This is one of the weirder examples of kid logic I've heard in a while. What was your reasoning behind somehow getting a second pizza?

Maybe he thought coupons were like savings bonds or something?

I'm surprised he can't get at least the price of a personal pan pizza for it from a video game collector, though. There are people really into complete-in-box games that will even pay for those awful, kitschy Nintendo Power subscription come-ons.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

One of my favorite scenes in the movie is the unisex shower scene. Fascism sucks but in this future they finally reached gender and racial equality and they only sexualized it a little bit. If you watch the scene again nobody is ogling at each other whatsoever.

Verhoeven is great, and I loved the first half or so of Starship Troopers, but I felt like it lost its satirical edge at some point and never recovered it. :(

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I thought for whatever reason that the coupons had value to the company and they wanted them, which is why they will trade you free stuff to get them. I figured once the supply ran out I could use their rarity as leverage to get more out of them.

It was stupid but in my defense I was like 5 years old.

I want to hug you

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

You Are A Elf posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "man" Q-Tip? I've never heard this before and it sounds dumb as hell.

Oh honey

So basically someone looked at how pink razors are exactly identical to other razors but they're marketed as being somehow "for women" and thereby more expensive, and then thought "oh hell yeah, we can do this to men as well"

ah yes, I was going to save a few cents on the store brand, but this brushed metal plate assures me a spot on the Wall of Tough Guys

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Das Boo posted:

That is really cute and I'm glad for him. I saw Umberto D for the first time tonight and I'm on a pet salvation high. :3:

That's the best high there is.

Das Boo posted:

Speaking of film, I really wish the States would put less stock in how hot their actors are. I can't tell a lot of the fuckers apart, or at least am really bad at confusing [x] for [y] since they're all set to such a narrow standard of "acceptable." Foreign actors are always very memorable for how different they look or, hey, maybe because they're better actors than they are models. More Peter Lorres, fewer... whoever those kids in Cloverfield were. All of them.

Yeah, agreed on this one, too. You ever watch old TV? They used to let ordinary-looking people have recurring roles, for god's sake.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

sassassin posted:

That's underthinking. If people are genuinely missing an obvious point, accuse them of thinking badly, not of thinking too much.

The only reason to fear "overthinking" is if you are worried that your opinions might change if you pay too close attention. In a society where huge numbers of people forge identities based on the media they consume, this is understandable.

No one wants to believe their favourite TV doctor engages is a "secret" misogynist, as what does that say about them?

"Switch your brain off and enjoy it" is an mantra of an egotistical coward.

This is a good post, really well-put.

This line of discussion reminds me of something I recently read and quite liked; rather than try to whip up my own clumsy paraphrase on the spot, I'll quote from someone else's:

quote:

Caetlin Benson-Allott’s claim in her book Killer Tapes and Shattered Screens [...] draws a link between VHS and the opening credits of the 1980 film Friday the 13th, where the title card appears to crash through a glass plane, the shards spinning out menacingly towards the viewer. Although it is hardly the first time a title sequence has broken the fourth wall, this act explicitly positions the film as a televisual work, designed to threaten the hermetic nature of the home viewer’s TV-set. This moment, she writes, is emblematic of the massive shift in film spectatorship towards VHS and the home-video viewer. The broken glass is a historical marker of puncture, of a new dynamic between film and viewer that hits you where you live.

Whether or not that was the director's intention (e.g. the choice of having the title card smash through a glass [television] screen rather than tearing through whatever it is movie screens are made of) isn't really important, because it does provide the critic and her readers with a jumping-off point from which she can continue her discussion/argument/etc. This feels like an example of what your average "switch your brain off" viewer would accuse of being "overthinking" - it's one moment, and not even a diagetic one, in the first film in what's largely regarded as a trash series within a trash genre, i.e. exactly where one would expect to switch off one's brain. And yet!

This is why "overthinking" popular / "trash" culture is valuable: every decision that gets made in a work was at least theoretically made for a reason - maybe not a good or interesting one, but often worth considering independently and as working parts of a creative whole.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Tony Bologna posted:

Sci-fi is all authoritarian garbage.

have you ever read anything without a yellow-and-black color scheme on the cover

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Grandmother of Five posted:

Anti-establishment sentiments that takes the form of any kind of authoritarianism is frighteningly short-sighted.

I agree, but it's unfortunately and arguably inevitable.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Thai food in general isn't very good. It's my least favorite of all the Asian countries cuisines. Laotian is a close second. But nothing will ever be as bad as Ethiopian food. It is hot garbage served on disgusting bread that tastes like a sponge and paper towel had sex with sourdough. Its just disgusting globs of over spiced stew thrown onto a trencher. No idea how anyone can like it.

I like Ethiopian food a lot, but these sentences were a pleasure to read.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Here's an unpopular opinion:
Spending more than like a grand or so on vet costs is an extravagant and selfish waste of money, specially with a really old suffering animal. Put the poor animal down and get another one. I love animals and pets and if you're well off I get wanting to spend a couple grand on an operation to save your 2 year old dog who is great and the operation will make him fine. That's understandable and almost reasonable. But people who create gofundme's or cry on facebook that they just HAD to spend $2000 on surgery to prolong the life of their 10 year old blind incontinent cat and now can't pay rent or their student loans are idiotic. Fantastic, you just wasted all your money so this poor animal can suffer on another few months maybe, all because you're too big of a blubbery baby to do the right thing and put them down.

It's almost like a lot of people are motivated by love or something

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

I forgot about this shirt

I'm glad to know someone's out there taking care of my ex.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

hard counter and Grandmother of Five are a couple of the best posters in this thread. That's my opinion, and if it's unpopular, y'all are dumb.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

Stuart Little was the only book I remember really hating as a kid and it was because of its bullshit ending.

Read Susan Palwick's short story, "The Fate of Mice." Like all her work, it's a gut-punch, but it addresses this specifically.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I only listen

to you

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I enjoy and appreciate the Beatles a whole, whole lot, but when I'm looking for just straight-up listening pleasure, nine times out of ten, I prefer the Monkees, the group that is so often and unfairly compared unfavorably against them.

And Head was better than any movie the Beatles ever made.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Aramek posted:

I want the opposite of that, I want everyone to be a citizen and have all the rights thereof. Through the total unified rule of the one world government that had eliminated country borders and annexed all cultures by its velvet fist.

Mmmm, soft velvet fist.

thick velvety feel

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mr.Tophat posted:

Do you also get angry when people are described as 'entrepreneurs'?

Someone described as an entrepreneur: fine
Someone describing themselves as an entrepreneur: gigantic red flag

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mr.Tophat posted:

Or maybe they're about to sell you a juicer!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

People who make fanart/fansites for media that hasn't been released yet are 100% doing it for the attention.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

lemon-lyme disease posted:

Like, if the parent were to calmly confiscate and sell the device is that pretty much just as bad in your mind, or?

I don't know about calmly in this wonderful case from about 13 years ago:

quote:

Selling Son's Beloved Play Station 2 For Punishment!

Parents please let your children read this auction.

It was a glory day when my son received his Play Station 2. This beloved machine was his prize possession. He played, if not for hours at a time. When he would not take care of anything else, but he took care of this little treasure of his. Ground him, take away phone privileges………….anything but this PS2.

UP FOR AUCTION OR

FOR SALE DUE TO PUNISHMENT

PLAY STATION 2

PS2

USED

PLAYS GREAT! ASK MY SON

CHICKNWING@SBCGLOBAL.NET

COMES WITH TWO CONTROLERS

SOME TYPE OF MEMORY CARD

NO GAMES

NO RESERVE

Here is the story: This weekend my 13 year old son decided to be destructive, deceptive and disobedient. I had a bugle I was selling on Ebay and while I was out he decided to “play” with it. Sunday morning when the auction was to end, He picked up the bugle and asked me if I knew it was broken. He handed me the bugle which he had “played” with and both solder joints were broken and since it was out of alignment the slide is now stiff.

Lets back up one night. That was the tip of the iceberg. Saturday night I send my son & his friend to the skating rink like the rest of the parents. I was to pick him up from the skating rink after it ended. Well he went home, while I was not there with his friend and they invited someone I do not know to the house while WE were not there. I get home about 11:30 PM and find the house is wrecked. Beer was missing. Confronted son and friends about beer…Yes they had drank the beer. -$6.00 Strike one!

Get up the next morning only the find the mysteriously broken bugle! -$51.00 Strike Two!

Here is the kicker…………..Husband finds the corkscrew in the floor and part of a cork in the floor. Ask son who is play his beloved Play Station 2 if he has any thing he would like to tell us?

Son- “No”

Dad- “Really?

Son- “No”

Dad- “what did you use this corkscrew for?”

Son- “To open the beer.”

Dad- “What about this cork?”

Son- “What cork?”

Dad- “This cork.”

Son “Oh, THAT cork. I drank some wine too.”

Dad- “Well I hope you enjoyed that because it cost $120.00 a bottle!”

LET THE YELLING BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That’s right my 13 year old son drank a bottle of Dom Perignon champagne- 1995. PUT IT BACK IN THE FRIDGE WITH PART OF A CORK AND THE LITTLE METAL THING BACK ON TOP! -$120.00.

THAT BOTTLE OF CHAMPAGNE WAS A GIFT THAT WE HAVE BEEN SAVING FOR OVER A YEAR FOR THAT “SPECIAL” OCCASION.

SO I AM MINUS ABOUT $177 FOR THIS WEEKEND LITTLE ANTICS. NOT TO MENTION THE AGGRAVATION OF THE ARUGING, LYING AND DECEPTION. I AM NOT GOING TO PUT UP WITH THAT KIND OF BEHAVIOR FROM A CHILD. EVEN A 6’3” 13 YEAR OR ANY ONE WHO DISRESPECTS ME & MY STUFF.

SO CHILDREN LISTEN UP DO NOT DISRESPECT YPUR PARENTS YOUR FRIENDS OR YOURSELF BECAUSE US PARENTS ARE SMARTER THAN YOU AND WE WILL FIND OUT ABOUT ANY AND ALL THINGS YOU TRY TO HIDE.

I AM SELLING THOS PRIZE possession TO RECOOP WHAT I LOST.

THIS IS NOT THE ACTUAL PICTURE BUT I WILL ADD ONE OF THE ACTUAL SYSTEM WHEN I GET A CHANCE TO TAKE A PICTURE.

HAPPY BIDDING!

I wish I had a screenshot of this, but alas.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

How do you divide up three shifts to cover a ten hour day?

Think before you post next time.

Play an LP at 1 rpm. When it's time to flip the disc, everyone gets to go home.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Wait. No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I'm a progressive, and I grew up on early SNL and Hunter S. Thompson, and so I was led to believe that Nixon was way, way more of a shitheel than he actually was. I'd take a wiser, post-presidency Nixon over our past three presidents without blinking an eye.