Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Das Boo posted:

After always hearing about what a monster Nixon was, I looked into him and came to the same conclusion. Dude was nowhere near clean, of course, but really? Watergate was the worst of it?

Though I guess anymore I'm thoroughly impressed when it comes out a politician isn't molesting children.

quote:

Well, when I said "I just hope I haven’t let you down," that said it all. I had. I let down my friends. I let down the country. I let down our system of government, the dreams of all those young people that ought to get into government but will think it's all too corrupt and the rest.

Most of all, I let down an opportunity that I would have had for 2 1/2 more years to proceed with great projects and programs for building a lasting peace which has been my dream...

Yup, I let the American people down, and I have to carry that burden with me for the rest of my life. My political life is over. I will never again have an opportunity to serve in any official position. Maybe I can give a little advice from time to time.

Can you even imagine a politician being as earnest as this today?

Also, man, Nixoncare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Bojack is great. Even if you find the first season a little middling, your enjoyment of it will actually increase by what comes later. It's a very well-crafted show.

And if you people are so bound and determined to drink in your bathrooms, just run a bath and make an evening of it, geez.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Because baths are terrible. I just can't understand why anyone would ever want to sit/lie in an uncomfortable, cramped container of lukewarm water.

oh my god am I really going to have to teach a grown adult how to take a bath

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Tiggum posted:

You don't have to do anything, but I am curious as to what instructions you'd give or what you think I've overlooked.

Mu Zeta posted:

Baths aren't lukewarm

Like this dude said, you don't have to settle for lukewarm. You can open the drain and run more hot water in every so often. Also, bath pillows are cheap and pretty great, but you could use a folded-up towel to accomplish the same thing (i.e. something cushiony between your back and the edge of the tub). Set a footstool or TV tray next to the tub with snacks and drinks. Baths aren't for getting clean unless you're a small child; they're for relaxing and enjoying the feeling of being immersed in hot water. Throw some bubble bath solution into that poo poo. It's fun.

If your bathtub is small enough that you'd describe it as a "cramped container", then there's nothing to be done for it, I guess! Also you're Australian so it's likely that you're like eight feet tall so I dunno, maybe just hit up a spa.

oldpainless posted:

You can teach me

call the Learning Annex, my extension is 1885 and I give hands-on instruction

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

well why not posted:

ban chewing gum everywhere

:agreed:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Google the word "clapter," dude, it's a thing and it's not going anywhere since the world is increasingly gamified and backpats for being right-on can be counted down to the fourth decimal

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jastiger posted:

Answering your voice mail with your cell number instead of your name makes you riff raff. I know what loving number I dialed, you idiot. Youre not hiding anything and if you were trying to, you're either riff raff or an idiot.

If you don't already know my name, and you're calling me, then gently caress you and the chintzy headset and eight-dollar knit polo you rode in on.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jastiger posted:

What if its a wrong number, poo poo head? And i end up leaving a message for the wrong person?

"This call is for $NAME; my name is $NAME2, and I'm calling concerning $SUBJECT. Please give me a call back at $NUMBER. Thanks."

If they don't call back, you got a wrong number or they don't want to talk to you. People don't owe you their time.

Aesop Poprock posted:

There's literally no reason to list your drat number by speaking it though it'll do that for you if you don't set up an inbox.

This is what I've done because "celebrity impersonator answering machine message tapes" are no longer a thing.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jastiger posted:

Actually they do. Often im calling because they are paying my company thousands of dollars and requested someone reach out to them, and now we will just keep taking their money because they didnt answer their phone or identify themselves.

Ah, fair enough, then.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Donald Trumps response to the covefe thing was funnier than anything that people making fun of it had to say.

Please don't take that as an endorsement of the Donald in any way.

As people have pointed out, that almost certainly wasn't his response, because you're more likely to stick your dick into a neutron star than witness that man making a joke at his own expense.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Reese's Pieces are so much better than M&Ms that I don't even know why they bother making M&Ms.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Peanut Butter M&Ms > Reeses Pieces

I once attended a sleepover during which a very fat child fell asleep in a chair with his hand in a bowl of Peanut Butter M&Ms. (No, it wasn't me.)

But I gotta disagree with you; there's something about Reese's peanut butter that is just perfect.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is it the massive amounts of corn syrup?

I'm no big city food scientist, but I am a mammal easily led around by sugar, salt, and fat, so, you know, probably.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pimp skitters.

Sinner's rear end.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

also any structural engineer will tell you that the lyrics are so misleading as to be offensive

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

fruit on the bottom posted:

That movie has one of the most mean-spirited opening sequences I think I've seen in a comedy.

The Postal movie was, against all odds, hilarious.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

(Descartes really was a dumb-rear end.)

I hope to god there's a code to play as you in NBA Jam

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I have the answer to everything.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

Or a secret santa.

I'm more of a sensual Santa

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

You will be

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

No, I just had a grandma who bought stolen NES games

I want my copies of Cobra Command and Paperboy back

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I use Universal Media Server to stream stuff to my PS3 and man oh man, I've lost count of the number of times I've wished it just had a "random select" feature. Like, "pick one file at random from these specific folders" and you've got yourself a night of TV with all the choice paralysis stripped out.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Spinster posted:

I think 20% are either funny or interesting, and in some threads it's 50% for a while. However, I'm new and starved for human contact. I just hate not having a CLUE who anyone really is

I'm Pastry of the Year

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

When I was a kid reading those books they made it sound totally delicious but somehow my brain took Turkish to mean like turkey meat like it was some sort of rolled up lunch meat or something. I'm not sure how I decided that and still though it sounded good cause I'm pretty sure I knew it was related to candy

Same here - I thought it was a cube of roast turkey coated in white chocolate (and I have no idea why I thought this, except maybe as a carry-over from all the snow imagery?), and I thought it sounded fantastic.

Then again this was around the same time I ate an entire box of dog treats as an experiment so who knows

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

You just loving loved science :shrug:

it turns out they all taste exactly alike no matter what fun, bright colors they are

you've just taken your first step into a larger world

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Grandmother of Five posted:

The Buddhist monk I-hsiu, from the Kōan of "Dining with a General", comes across as a petty, passive-aggressive goon, rather than as enlightened. It is okay for the general to have a dress-code. Don't freak out, Master of Zen.

girrrrrrrrrrrl you're gonna get so flamed for this unpopular opinion

mine is that I often find the little "good morning" animations on Facebook really cute and charming despite knowing full well that Facebook is a terrible thing run by vile people, generally

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

disco rules, prog rules, Morrissey rules

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

PHUO: People who make a thing of, like, being really into Emma Watson all seem to be waving a huge red flag for potential sex crimes

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

What's important here is: YOU MADE ME A LASAGNA?!? :yum:

Nobody tell him.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Soup, unlike a sandwich, is cooked in a container, which it fills completely up to a level.
So it's soup.

Pastry of the Year posted:

from the heart of my battered copy of 1993's "Japanese Jive" comes the SOUP-SAND SERIES

SOUP IS A SANDWICH

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Spinster posted:

GBS is taking a mighty turn for the worse just a couple months after I started posting and I'm bummed as hell.

Welcome to PYF. It's extremely good and chill here.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Now that's an unpopular opinion!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

GBS is a good forum where the strong thrive and the weak perish.

I enjoy my pals in the Doobie thread.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Their three main prospects for 2020 are Sanders, Biden and Warren who will be 80, 76 and 74 respectively. Maybe Jerry Brown should throw his hat into the ring to make them look younger by comparison. :shrug:

Oh, that'll be fun, seeing the alt-right co-opt "California Uber Alles" over forty years after its release, like they did "Kill the Poor" back when it was new.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle (2000) is an insanely good and funny movie.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I don't think Red Dwarf is as funny as I thought it was twenty-something years ago, but I still think it's a pretty good "chill out" sort of show to have on in the background, especially if you're already familiar with the episodes.

For purposes of comparison, NewsRadio (which also has a laugh track or studio audience or whatever) is just as funny to me as it ever was, and even when I have tried to put it on for background pleasure, it ends up commanding my attention, no matter how many times I've seen any given episode.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

A post about The Blues Brothers in another thread prompted this train of thought:

I really, really like Dan Aykroyd. I feel like most people don't, these days.

It's absolutely true that he's been in some pretty bad movies - not even just, like, duds that were forgotten, but movies that were so bad they are in the Bad Movie Canon - and that he has, gradually, outed himself as a little bit of a nutball. But I love him because of this. You watch his 70s/80s stuff and you know you're watching a comedic genius. The thing is, comedic genius is one of those things, especially if you're of that coke-fueled graduating class of his, that tends to kill you. What we're seeing is what happens when a comedic genius gets to survive, and settle down, retire, and just be themselves.

Aykroyd, man, he made his bones and he probably could honestly never move another muscle in his life and be perfectly well taken care of, but instead, he poured his windfall into being exactly who and what he wanted to be, which is, yes, exactly the sort of grade-A weirdo he liked to write about and portray. I am willing to believe every word that comes out of his mouth, because he has gone on the record as Famous Personality, Dan Aykroyd, saying some of the most mockable and apparently bonkers things in absolute, 100% sincerity.

So the dude has no incentive to lie. Also, I have had his vodka and it's really good.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I LOVE THAT MAN.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

I'm convinced Akroyd was playing himself in Ghostbusters.

That is, by all accounts, absolutely the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

imagine a world in which someone postulates the idea of a murder satellite in geosynchronous orbit whose entire job is to keep people from diddling kids

oh

wait