Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I am with Shibawanko on this one. Some of the the mentally ill people I’ve dealt with have been worth the effort but most have not. If someone’s problems make it a terrible drain to hang out with them, you don’t have to!

It feels selfish but really, if you are ok not being friends with literally every person you meet then it’s just one more not-friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
When I was in Canada in 2010, I noticed that buildings were not handicap accessible. It was even worse than the US’s poor attempt at accessibility.

But someone dropped a tray in Tim Hortons and a guy broke into song (O Canada) so Canada is a land of contrasts.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

fizzymercury posted:

There's people like my Mom that named her dog Todd and bought him little shoes and hats and fed him people food. They're nuts and they need help.

I don’t understand why some people make their animals live on only one kind of food. Dogs love food*, why make them subsist on unappetizing kibbles for their short lives? I mean obviously they need a varied diet if you are going to give them other stuff but that’s not hard. It’s all just food, let them have some.

*my dogs also eat goat and chicken poop, their tastebuds are broken

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
My dogs track in snow, mud, or dirt, depending on the season. I feel sorry for anyone going sock-footed in my house.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
We have skunks in the area, and they usually test positive for rabies. How the heck should someone deal with a rabid skunk without a gun?

Just saying no one needs a gun is flat out silly.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

Dave Chang on his podcast had a bit where he was talking about how good eggs are for learning to cook, I'd never thought of it that way but he's right. A dozen eggs is like thirty cents and you can make dozens and dozens of dishes. Your standard Scrambled or Overeasy, Omelettes, Frittata,Shakshouka, Chawanmushi, Custards, Meringues, Pavlova, Quiche and french toast.

Just an incredibly cheap, quick cooking, and easy way to teach yourself basic technique so you don't embarrass yourself when you gently caress up a more complicated dish.

Cheap eggs are an abomination. One egg takes one hen 26 hours to make. If a company can feed and house 12 hens and make a profit for anything less than $4, you can be sure those hens lead a lovely, lovely life. Stop buying cheap eggs, you are complicit in animal torture.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Robobot posted:

You may not be wrong, but chickens are super cheap to feed and shelter. It's been a long time but I think 50lb bags of chicken feed were like $10 when I was a kid.

It’s not the food that’s the big expense, it’s the shelter. Hens are shoved into the smallest space they are legally allowed to produce those cheap eggs. Hens are allowed space LESS THAN THE SIZE OF A SHEET OF PAPER to live their life. They don’t get to stretch out, they can’t leave their cage, and they can’t do any of the scratching activities that would make them happy. It’s brutal and consumers can choose to buy eggs from chickens that are treated more humanely.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

alexandriao posted:

Also I have a FODMAP thing and it means that almost all fruits are off-limits, and im pretty sure my next vitamin bloods are gonna turn up that im deficient in many different things. It also means I gotta avoid garlic and onions and jesus loving christ those are in everything :qq:

A lot of fruits are but you can still have citrus fruits and berries. My husband eats low FODMAP and the only fruit he really misses are apples.

The garlic and onion stuff is a drag. I make all of our ketchup, pasta sauce, etc from scratch to avoid those. I grew garlic chives this year and when added at the end of cooking they bring some of those flavors that we’ve been missing.

My PHUO is that people should try to make their own ketchup at least once. It’s kind of fun and you can make fancy kinds.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
My unpopular opinion is that 77 degrees is the perfect indoor temp in the summer, 72 in winter. Being warm is great.

Also, Raynauds Syndrome gives me gross cadaver-like hands and feet if it’s cold* and they look really gross.

*less than 68 degrees

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Angel Food Cake is the worst cake.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Cast iron is nice because I don’t have to worry about fumes killing my baby chicks.

Edit: my link seems to not be working, imagine very cute baby chicks not being poisoned by fumes.

Joburg has a new favorite as of 21:46 on May 1, 2023

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

You posted the page URL (https://imgur.com/gallery/nheiuqi) instead of the image URL (https://i.imgur.com/y2lRNxr.jpeg).

Thank you for fixing my bad internetting!

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Post Your Personally Held Milquetoast Opinion or Very Handsome Cockerels

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

I never understood how people cry during films. I can feel sad, but the idea of crying over something on the screen is ridiculous.

Someone has never seen the first ten minutes of UP.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Those are some very cute baby chicks!

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
My unpopular opinion: Naked Neck chicks are the cutest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Very cute baby chicks, one day old