Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

doverhog posted:

It's pretty clear from the post that I'm making no comment about the situation of any of these countries, but rather about the arguments used against refugees and/or immigrants.

People hate bankers because they think they're undermining society for their own gains.

People hate Jews because they think they're undermining society for their own gains.

Therefore, hating bankers is basically the same as being antisemitic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

hard counter posted:

The comic book format could've been a wonderfully unique form of expression like the other artistic mediums but legislators decided it was for children and created legislation to pretty much enforce that reality. At least for a long time. It's a real shame that happened.

Same but for video games.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
People in who lived during the Bronze Age had a more enlightened outlook on religion than we do today.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well they certainly had less scripture which, coincidentally, means less terrible stuff. I mean sure it was all murder and more murder but less murder because we say so.

I was really coming more from the fact they acknowledged that other gods existed and "belonging to a different religion" meant someone was seeking the blessing of that god. There was still (self-)flagellation, human sacrifices, and ritualistic suicide, but religious violence was usually preformed internally and exclusively for ceremonial purposes.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
People who legitimately believe dad rock is the best type of music have the worst opinions about music.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Wheat Loaf posted:

How do we define "dad rock" exactly? Is it a particular subset of classic rock or just classic rock in general?

Essentially pop-rock from the 60s to 70s. Everyone I know who lionizes those bands as The Best (and isn't just someone who wants to be young again) tend to be this weird sort of anti-hipster who are smug as all hell but don't even bother being fake-creative.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Cracked is basically just Buzzfeed for people who think they're too smart for Buzzfeed.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
The ACLU deserves at least some of the blame for everything that happened in Charlottesville. They supported a group of violent white supremacist who are directly responsible for one death and multiple severe injuries, that blood is on their hands.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

hawowanlawow posted:

Japan was nuked, therefore if you don't like anime you like nuclear annihilation

I'm a Posadist

MizPiz has a new favorite as of 15:57 on Aug 17, 2017

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

yeah I eat rear end posted:

At least marvel movies don't have people loving girls that look 10 years old with the defense that they are 900 year old demons.

No, they only normalize the idea that giving a government-sponsered private military force free reign to confront anything it considers a threat is the best way to keep the world safe with the defense that it's supposed to be mindless fun.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Aramek posted:

Imagine that, but slightly fewer death camps, and no famine.

Fine, but you won't get the gorgeous hair and chizzled features.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Solice Kirsk posted:

$100k a year salary isn't rich!

It's more than what 80% of the country is making and twice as much as what the median salary is. Just because you can't buy a Ferrari outright doesn't mean you aren't rich.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Jerry Cotton posted:

One of these is not like the others: cars are a luxury item so it's normal to worry about car repairs.

The most lauded public transportation system in country is effectively a cover for a slush fund and is so terribly managed that some random guy hijacking the trains and busses made them run significantly more smoothly.

Anyone who believes that cars are a luxury item is living comfortably enough to be considered rich.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Jerry Cotton posted:

If cars aren't a luxury, why can't I afford one :thunk:

Same reason you can't afford healthcare, capitalism.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Jerry Cotton posted:

I have free healthcare.

Then you don't live in America, the country that literally designed itself around the assumption that everyone has a car. When you make ownership of something a necessity live, it's no longer a luxury item.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
People who dismiss conspiracy theories because "it's impossible to keep something that big a secret" are as delusional as the people who think fluoride is a mind control chemical.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

EmmyOk posted:

what ones do you bleive in OP?

Most of the elite in Western society are members of a massive network of pedophile rings that use things like Pizzagate and the Santanic Panic to make it easier to discredit any accusations of such networks existing.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

pidan posted:

Yeah it's a great decoration for the twelve nights of Christmas, where we huddle in our homes while kobolds saw at the trunk of the world tree, and the Wild Hunt snatches unwary travellers off the roads.

Yeah, exactly

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

spit on my clit posted:

i feel everyone is taking the net neutrality thing out of control right now, because it isn't dead yet, the repeal still has to go by congress. so its less "we're hosed" and more "get ready for round two"

Yeah, I'm sure the group of people who just signed off on what is essentially the largest transfer of wealth to the oligarchical elite in American history is going to help the little guy this time. :v:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Turtlicious posted:

It's out exit strategy

loving :laffo: that you think you're getting a ticket

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Those heart shaped candies are actually pretty good. They basically bave the same texture as altoids.

Though the white ones do suck.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Aphrodite posted:

You're not giving the US enough credit.

They would definitely sentence their native populations to frozen hell if they had territory there.

poo poo, we're doing it to our own children

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.e35716bc78f2

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
The Nightly Show was way better than the Daily Show with Trevor Noah

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Killmonger is the real hero of Black Panther and anyone who roots for T'Challa is a bootlicking toadie

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Straight White Shark posted:

also most of your direct family and friends.

Also yourself

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

I don't mean their authority to beat innocent people to death, I mean their authority to constantly monitor technically innocent people at all times if they think they might pose a threat.

That's just the liberal version of "deploy squads of veterans to patrol every school in the country." At best it's logistically impossible and would more likely lead to something worse than random mass killings.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Linking crimes to mental illness is an extremely tired attempt to absolve a society of whatever issues are actually causing those crimes, even when one of the issues is a lack of mental healthcare. Trying to "diagnose" crime like it's a form of abnormal behavior instead of a direct response to the social and economic factors an individual experiences only serves to justify the castle doctrine/stand your ground mentality.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Never betray the law.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Langosta Whiteman posted:

MLK Jr. was wrong. So was Gandhi. Life's too short to act passively im(unpopular)o.

Both MLK and Gandhi never advocated for strict non-violence, their legacy is being specifically used to qwell any sort of effective resistance to the status quo. Both presented themselves as the alternative to a violent uprising and both worked with groups that did advocate for vioent action.

If there's one lesson from their life to be learned, it's that you should never make peace or compromise with your enemy.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

sassassin posted:

Also launch nukes asap.

Posadism is the only path to salvation for humanity

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Henchman of Santa posted:

If the Democrats and Republicans realized that they were effectively the same and merged it might open the doors up for actual alternatives, so yes

https://i.imgur.com/t2HwVgs.mp4

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Henchman of Santa posted:

If you think that's a galactic brain take you should talk to a tankie some time

I was going for "Pretty weird that these two groups whose leaders have more or less the same beliefs are presented as 'the two extremes' in political discourse"

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Aramek posted:

Not voting is such an alien concept to me. Like, we have a first past the post, winner take all system.

You *have* to pick between the two at the end. I'm sorry you have to make a decision between two things you don't like, but you have to choose.

Directly gently caress you if you don't. Do what you are told.

gently caress you, no one is obligated to vote just because "you know how the system works." If a candidate isn't capable of convincing people to vote for them, then they don't deserve those votes.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Accordion Man posted:

You could primary bad Democrats in safe districts for more left-leaning Democratic candidates. You still need to vote for them to get in though so the point still applies, fricking vote on all levels of government.

gently caress that, primary every Democrat in every district. If you lose, very loudly declare your refusal to support the victor until they give your organization the means to influence the candidate. And if they don't, shut them down.

The Dems have proven beyond any shadow of doubt that they'd rather be a controlled minority party than do anything to upset their donors and break decorum. Voting for a centrist Democrat, even when the Republican is a horrific monster of a human being, is actively voting against your interests.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Accordion Man posted:

Then enjoy a thousand years of Republicans because of first past the post, third parties in this country have mostly just been spoilers at best.

You have to shift the Democrats left by pushing more progressive candidates, primarying all the bad ones out and pressuring the hell out of them, its the more feasible option because an entirely new party needs a humongous groundswell of support and even then that's not guaranteed, i.e. Teddie Roosevelt, one of the most popular Presidents of his age just pretty much spoiled the Republicans and let Wilson win when he ran third party.

This country was made conservative by design because it was made by a bunch of rich white dudes that thought that non-landowners were morons, you ain't going change things over night.

You sure as poo poo aren't going to change it by supporting right wing Democrats. You say that we need to pressure the party to support more left wong positions, that's literally what I posted. I don't know what you think pressure is, but unless your preventing them from governing or denying them power, they aren't going to give two shits about you.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

lovely dems are still way better than any republican

At least imo, i like having rights and not being pogromed

lovely Dems will try to compromise with the Republicans by letting them pogrom specific minorities to protect your rights, then complain about the Republicans not wanting to be bipartisan when they pogrom all minorities and take away your rights.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
These are people who, in the year 2018, still believe the Democrats oppose the Republicans

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Those folksie/"accoustic" versions of popular songs (especially pop music) are just as terrible as any given dubstep remix made by a middle schooler. Same goes for those melcholic, "lone piano player" ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Crossposting this, partially as an excuse to spread the video

MizPiz posted:

If there's one group that NEEDS to be opposed with violence, it's ICE

https://twitter.com/RunGomez/status/971859411172864001?s=19