Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I loved Ebert and his occasional weirdly bad take on good movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Didn't one of the books end with the mom becoming a zombie or something? That wasn't in the show.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Gripweed posted:

420 can and should become a proper holiday, but to do so it needs to be about more than smoking weed. Like, we have a drinking holiday, St. Patrick's Day. But it's not just about drinking, it's a celebration of Irish-American heritage, there's rituals you can do other than drinking, there's a parade, it's a full spectrum holiday. Similarly, our eating holiday, Thanksgiving, is about family and togetherness, and the eating itself is highly ritualized. They need to figure out some non-weed stuff to weave into 420 so it can be a real holiday.

Among some people 4/20 is already a holiday of the worst kind, usually not involving weed but meth a lot of the time

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Growing up, I often heard "remember the Alamo!" but it was always divorced from any context about what the Alamo was.

It was a church or something?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I thought the middle option was premium?

Cheap Gas - Premium Gas - Diesel

I got gas recently and the attendant (I live in Oregon) was real apologetic and said I could only get premium gas. I'd never bought premium gas before. I asked him what the difference is. He said my engine might run hotter. I said is that it? He shrugged. So I got premium gas.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I revisited Dookie recently, which in 1998 was my favorite album, and I can't believe how fuckin awful it is. I never liked Green Day's post-Dookie stuff, but Dookie has aged like, well

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

It was the first album I bought for myself

It was the first album I bought with my own money, too!

edit: the second was the Wallflowers album Bringing Down the Horse

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Ommin posted:

I can hit 90 before I even feel like I'm going fast.

As in you accelerate extremely slowly? That's a whole different issue!!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
SOLID Smoke got all the GOOD GENES

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I've never built Ikea furniture but I thought the entire point was that one doesn't need any external resources?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Powered Descent posted:

Will you two PLEASE get different avatars

I think this is the longest EAH has gone without having a wife-related avatar or red-text bought for him.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Edgar Allen D'oh!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah and lots of people forget (or never learn properly in the first place).

I'm not saying it needs to be taught by rote memorisation or that one method works for everyone or that there aren't people who are always going to struggle with it, just that it's a basic skill that too many people lack.

When I was in jail, the lady in charge of the library (she looked like Dora the Explorer and was called Dora the Destroyer because she would take away books, take away classes, take away art supplies, basically anything that could enrich us in any way) and she once asked me what something times ten was. I don't remember the number, she said something like, "What's six time ten?"

And I responded, "What?"

She squinted at me for a few seconds, then it came to her. "Ah, sixty. Nevermind."

She went on to be the education director for a federal correctional institution in Arizona :eng101:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

thetoughestbean posted:

Chrono Trigger is massively, massively overrated. It’s a fine enough game, it’s got a lot to like, but its reputation of being one of the best jrpgs of all time is ridiculous. It isn’t even the best Square game of its era! (That would be Final Fantasy V)

Everyone knows Chrono Trigger sucks. It's just an elaborate troll that's been going on for decades.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Gripweed posted:

but the triangle is at the top of the quote? So if you see it's a big quote you can just hit the triangle before you scroll. Like this

That's my favorite song :)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

doctorfrog posted:

A friend of mine is that kind of guy who doesn't read books and brags about it

People like this are the same type of people who brag about not recycling.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Doctor Spaceman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jDqFEkNP64

This is both a joke about how people recommend Dune and also a good recommendation for what bits to read.

Personally I think the only wrong number of Dune books to read is 5 or 7+.

Boy is he ever making the "punch me in the face" face.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Muscle Tracer posted:

Well, they're at least one of those three... and you'll have to read three more chapters before i tell you which one!

(four and a half pages later) Alright, ready.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I was once stuck in a hospital, in the pre smartphone era, with nothing but a copy of Angels and Demons.

He's hot garbage.

The worst part about that book... hmm... well, it's either that one or Inferno, I can't remember which. I read them out of order. But ONE of the books, he leans so hard into his every-chapter-must-end-on-a-cliffhanger-no-matter-how-forced-and-arbitrary that when a woman is knocked unconscious, he concludes the chapter with "She would wake up. But she would wish she never had." Or some poo poo.

What happens to her when she wakes up? NOTHING. She's rescued, the end. gently caress you, Dan Brown.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

steinrokkan posted:

I'm so sick and tired of all the Willy Wonka poo poo, I don't think the internet has ever beaten a dead horse harder than this.

I am on the Internet and have no idea what you're talking about. I am *aware* there is a new Wonka movie and stars that kid from the Dune movie but beyond that I've not been subjected to anything about Wonka except for the occasional reference to the Gene Wilder film.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Some con artists held a Wonka themed event and it was disappointing compared to their AI-made promo material.

The particular thing people noticed was one poor woman dressed as an Oompa Loompa.

Is that it? That was a kind of small thing, wasn't it? Or has it "gone viral" as the kids these days say?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Gripweed posted:

Instead of banning Tiktok, they should ban Youtube Shorts. Because those suck!

Hey, let me ask a question about YouTube shorts. I'm not really a YouTube person, but to me, Shorts are exactly the same as a regular YouTube video but with some features taken away. They must do something. Do they integrate in a different way with Facebook or something? What exactly is a "short" as opposed to a "video" and why would I ever want to view a short in lieu of a video?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Tiggum posted:

YouTube, like every other site, is trying to be TikTok because that's what's popular now. That's all the explanation there is. It won't work because TikTok already exists and it makes YouTube worse at the thing people actually go to YouTube for, but that's the point of it.

You can use something like Enhancer for YouTube to automatically convert them into normal YouTube videos, or do so manually by editing the URL to the normalyoutube video format, eg. take a URL like https://www.youtube.com/shorts/QRofTihf48Q and change it to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRofTihf48Q.

I know there are workarounds, but what I really don't get is what Shorts do. If you were trying to pitch me, a YouTube exec, Shorts, what would you say? Because "it's just like a regular video but it takes away features like volume and timeline control" isn't a selling point. It must do something else.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Issaries posted:

They are short and endlessly doomscrollable.
Just like tiktok.

They're not short -- is there even a limit to how long a "Short" is? I've seen some that are minutes long. And functionally it's no different than hitting "next video" on normal YouTube.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
That looks like that one fella's avatar.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I think Nightwish would sound better if they either used real instruments instead of the sampled ones they use, or leaned harder into the synth angle. Their violins sound too much like violins to sound synthy but way too synthy to fool anyone.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Dune was so boring that when I was a teenager I couldn't get into it. I was reading all sorts of old sci fi, but Dune moved at such a slow pace. As an adult I read it and loved it, though.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Anyway, doesn't she ask if this is ironic? Don't you think? She's not telling you what's ironic, she's providing examples and asking if it's irony.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I'm sad to hear Akira Toriyama died but am more saddened that it's unlikely his awful artistic style will die with him.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
"Seven" having two syllables causes so many loving problems, it's amazing we have allowed this to just be what it is for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Mashed, scrambled, ground... I only eat food where chewing is performative.