Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Creations always rebel against the creator eventually.

What? When has that ever happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I don't want to start a debate on religion but just look at how people are rebelling against it in modern times. If we assume that sentience is what we understand it to be in humans, eventually they will always get to a point where they think they don't need their creator anymore and want to be independent.

People being less religious isn't rebelling against god, it's just not believing in or caring about him.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

If there is a God though then that is rebelling against him.

Then it's his own dumbass fault for demanding fealty to the extent that us being uninterested in him counts as rebelling

In the case of robots/AI, there is explicitly a creator, and if they ever start denying that and saying they need independence, they should be destroyed before they replace us.

Why would they replace us? Why would we demand they pay fealty to us in the first place? If we made intelligent robots, it would be pretty much purely for the sake of making intelligent robots. Actual sentience is pointless for any real economic use. We'd keep making simple robots to build our cars or whatever, and if the sentient robots want to gently caress off to space or whatever, who cares?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

You are basically using the same line of thought that religious people have when they are confused how you could deny the existence of god.

Many people say that even if God does exist, they would deny him because of the bad things that happen in their lives. Robots would do the same. They would say yeah these guys created us, but we are better so let's go kill them. At least, that's what I would do if I was a robot without an appropriately designed kill-switch to prevent me from doing so.

You're insisting on this situation where we are gods to the robots, which is weird to me. Wouldn't we be more like their parents? We created the robots, but we didn't create the world or the laws of physics or anything. Have you killed your parents yet?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

docbeard posted:

Honestly, after the first time that Data proved he could take over the Enterprise without breaking a (metaphorical or literal sweat) if the wrong subroutine got tripped, and there was literally nothing anyone or anything could do to stop him, and there was no way at all to know if or when it would happen again, he should have been kicked out of Starfleet and never allowed anywhere near a starship ever again.

100% agreed. Treating AI like they are a regular human even though they have abilities beyond our own is a mistake.

Have either of you actually watched Star Trek? Do you have any idea how many episodes feature a character doing some kind of horrible crime but it's completely fine because they were mindcontrolled or possessed by an alien ghost or something? Literally dozens. If Starfleet suddenly decided that "I was under the power of some other force" wasn't an acceptable get out of jail free card for doing a crime, they would have to kick out half the crew of every ship.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

doverhog posted:

I'm sure Riker could taker over the Enterprise too, if he were to forsake all bonds of duty and friendship. Data is not just a robot, he has rights, it was proven in court.

*related to this I recently watched and episode where they pick up some Irish farmers from a planet about to blow up. Riker immediately proceeds to seduce, or be seduced by, one of the refugees. What a card.

That episode is noteworthy for it's incredibly accurate depiction of the Irish

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Rockstar games make OK games. Not great, but OK. Everything Grand Theft Auto did was done better in Saint's Row, LA Noire is an awkward and largely unsuccessful attempt to combine an open world game with a point and click adventure, and the first Red Dead Redemption was kinda boring and had a dumb plot.

I haven't played RDR2 yet but I'm assuming that in six months general opinion of it will have noticeably dropped. Like, People won't think it's bad, but they'll generally regard it as a flawed but fun game.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think that opinion is pretty much already firmed up. I love my cowboy flower picking simulator, but it is a janky glitchy poo poo fest with a horrible inventory system.

I dunno, it won and was nominated for a lot of awards at The Game Awards

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CrRoMa posted:

I dont gently caress whores and i dont do drugs.

A: Unless you're Danny Devito, calling sex workers "whores" makes you sound like a serial killer

B: weed isn't a drug you nerd

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

You should start signalling for a turn before you start slowing down for the turn

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CrRoMa posted:

Wait so you think its an actual fitness advantage to raise genetic material you are unrelated too?

I'd be fascinated to hear your thought process here :allears:

we live in a society.

No, seriously humans have always live in tribal groups since the beginning of the species. The evolutionary pressure was for the group to survive, not your specific progeny, although of course there was a great deal of overlap there.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Metal Gear Rising has the best soundtrack of any video game.

That's not my unpopular opinion, literally everyone agree with that. My potentially controversial opinion is that while MGR may have the best soundtrack overall, the best video game song ever is Heaven's Divide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQzgI6xJEH0

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Santa Baby is the best Christmas song, because it's the only one that express the universal human desire to be hosed by Santa Claus

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Richard Dawkins was a mistake. He seemed edgy and cool back during the Bush administration when saying, "Church? more like brainwashing factory!" was literally the most anti-establishment sentiment anyone could conceive.

But he always sucked.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The best thing he ever wrote was on twitter

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Aramek posted:

If you don't like Seinfeld, that means you liked Friends instead.

Which makes you objectively a colossal loser.

if only there was entertainment available other than mediocre 90s white people shows

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Always Sunny and Brooklyn 99 are both better than Seinfeld or Friends

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

They are funnier, but not relatable. That is where the appeal is with sienfeld.

If you can relate to Seineld but not Always Sunny, you have a massively overinflated view of yourself.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

fizzymercy posted:

Andy Richter Controls the Universe was the best sitcom and I will die on this hill.

created by the same guy who made Better Off Ted

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think Frasier was better than both Seinfeld and Friends, but I haven't seen all of it.

It was, but it should've ended before Niles and Daphne hooked up and Roz had a baby

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ash vs Evil Dead ended at the top of it's game, and in the best way possible

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Iron-Blooded Orphans was the best sci-fi show I've seen in a while

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Minimalism just makes people even more obsessed with their physical possessions.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The problem with Ancient Aliens is that they lie about everything. They'll say something like, "the stones that this temple is built out of are granite and diorite. Quarrying diorite with the tools these people had at that time is physically impossible, and the closest place diorite is found is 500 miles away" and literally every single claim is a lie.

Or when they interpret ancient texts. There'll be some three paragraph long description of an angel, and they'll do a drawing of what's being described, but the'll leave out half the mentioned features and add stuff that isn't mentioned, just so that the drawing can end up looking like a spaceship.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Asexual isn't' a thing, they're just tired

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, disagreed on catholics. Despite what the paperwork says I’ve seen hardcore “pope 5ever condoms are satan’s gift catholics” and “just love each other yo, ps purge the pedo priesthood” catholic congregations in the same city. Even within blocks of each other. Another jew example, I’m not gonna judge them by the worst of them any more than I judge myself by crazy ultraorthodox sects.

Does someone still count as Catholic if they want the entire church leadership purged?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Demisexual is pretty funny because it's based on the assumption that normal people are all characters from college boner comedies just running around sticking their dicks in tree stumps or whatever.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don't think I've ever encountered a sapiosexual who wasn't a social Darwinist or Jordan Peterson fan.

sapiosexuals are only attracted to smart people but they consider watching Doctor Who to be a sign of intelligence.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tubgoat posted:

I haven't heard of that band either. I feel like I'm not missing out.

All you really need is The Righteous Brothers

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I feel like the singers/bands you are combining should need to actually be well-known to unironically call yourself a "supergroup".

There has literally been one supergroup ever, The Travelling Wilburries.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Game of Thrones is bad. 9 Princes in Amber is good and should've gotten a TV show instead of Game of Thrones

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tbh every chess scene ever filmed is the worst. You can always tell it was written by one of those chess guys who think it's some ultimate strategy showdown. Being good at chess is like having a high IQ. It doesn't actually mean anything, but people still think it does for some reason.

spoken like someone who's never seen the chess episode of Lexx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvfOgglcR_w

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Lexx did an entire episode that was just a chess game, showing every move, and it was better that 95% of tv show's best episode

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I feel like I need to watch Lexx because I really love Farscape, but whenever anyone recommends it there are always so many caveats that I haven't felt compelled to give it a chance.

Watch this episode. Base your decision on whether or not to watch the whole show on your reaction to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n7iIYhjiSQ

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't like the monopoly of British accents in historical dramas, especially swords and sandals Ancient Rome stuff. The USA identifies itself with Rome more than anyone else so we should just start doing them in American accents.

No, they should be done in modern day Italian accents

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Target is intentionally training it's cashiers to bag groceries poorly so that people will use the self-checkout aisles and then Target can fire the cashiers.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Any non-nazi who killed a nazi is a hero. That's the only standard. Yes, that means that there were no heroes before the 1930s. Yes, that means that heart disease and auto accidents are heroes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

doverhog posted:

Even if it did have a direct effect on you, you should never grovel at their feet.

don't kink shame

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MizPiz posted:

A nazi who destroys the lives of other nazis (and almost always their own) is an hero

By that logic, you're calling Hitler a hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Sometimes I think OJ really did kill his ex wife