Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

oldpainless posted:

Oh yeah? Give three reasons why

1) they make all our stuff
2) if it turns into a regular war they could easily defeat us because they can make way more stuff than we can
3) they’re getting pretty good at movies and I want to watch more of their movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What’s the counterpoint? The élan of American troops will be enough to overcome a force with vastly superior manpower and productive capacity?

Because a lot of countries have thought that in the past, and it doesn’t have a great track record.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Where is this fight taking place?

If it comes to actual shooting presumably it would be in the South China Sea.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

thetoughestbean posted:

Pretty much

Edit: I don’t think a war would be good in any way, I just think Gripweed doesn’t operate in reality besides what he wants to be true

I said China has more guys and can make more stuff than America. What part of that do you think is disconnected from reality?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Runa posted:

Much like Gripweed, China also thought they could easily take the US and made very aggressive moves towards Taiwan as a result.

What they did not expect was to see outdated American surplus equipment allowing a much smaller and unprepared Ukraine to fight a much larger and more well-armed Russia to a near standstill. So, unsurprisingly, China felt the need to stop and reassess their actual chances.

That doesn’t seem accurate. China did military exercises near Taiwan just last year.

Edit: and Taiwan and Ukraine aren’t really comparable. Russia can’t blockade Ukraine. China could fully blockade Taiwan in 24 hours. All that outdated American equipment doesn’t matter when it can’t get to the place it’s supposed to go. So I don’t understand why you think China thinks Taiwan would be another Ukraine.

Gripweed has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Apr 26, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Coolguye posted:

to be only slightly less dismissive, let me expand on this slightly

both economic performance and military performance hinge on a lot of coordination and communication expertises. china has a lot of problems with these expertises. you can see this in things like the chinese GDP constantly being revised downward from publicly released numbers because there is a giant, overriding problem with communication in China: it is outright incentivized to lie to your superiors in many cases, both civilian and state. there are more effects. but frankly, what i am talking about is so fundamental to understanding the situation that i genuinely mistook gripweed's position as a low-effort troll. the edit convinced me otherwise. at any rate, though, i'll wait until someone actually gives a considered, nuanced explanation as to why china is rising and will take the crown of the world this time, for serious bro, before i devote any more words to the topic.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. China's culture is inferior to our own, that is why they can never defeat us. That is an interesting take.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Coolguye posted:

lol that isn't what i said and it's extremely telling that you read it like that

I'm not sure how to take "the Chinese would not be able to win a war against us because they are incentivized to lie at every level of their society" as anything other than a suggestion that Chinese culture is inferior to our own.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Runa posted:

I read it as more of a statement about dysfunction in China's civil and military administrative structure, myself.

I can't believe that's what coolguye meant, because that would suggest that they believe America doesn't have similar or greater levels of dysfunction in our own civil and military administrative structure. And if they really meant that, well, smashcut to montage of the last ten years of American history.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

If Disney wants to revitalize the MCU, they need to drop the Kang storyline, put the multiverse stuff to the side, and go back to basics. Create an easy to understand hook that gets people interested again; vampires. Make the bad guy in every MCU movie a vampire. People would watch superheroes vs vampires. And the new Thanos, the new big bad guy they’re building up for the ultimate showdown? That’s right, it’s Dracula.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Spider-Man vs a vampire.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Blade movie has been in development hell for years and you think they could do more vampires?

Yes. Have Blade be like the anti-Thanos, the good guy they build up so everybody’s excited to see him finally throw down

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Outwaters is a terrible movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

the layered leg armor on MK2 Astartes armor looks stupid

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The opening to Beethoven's Symphony #9 absolutely kicks rear end but I've never listened to the whole song because it's simply too long and doesn't have any lyrics

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

doverhog posted:

They are both Hitler. I wish I could promise that Hitler will lose, but it's not in any way guaranteed.

We were supposed to be at the end of history, according to some idiot ( Francis Fukuyama), but no. Trump might be the 3rd hitler, so I'm glad I don't have kids.

Wouldn't Trump be the fourth Hitler?

Or are Netanyahu, Putin, and Trump so bad they make the original Hitler not even count as a Hitler anymore in comparison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Scientists have looked into it, those cats are stupid.