Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

pidan posted:

Young Adult media tend to have simple stories that teenagers can easily understand, and young characters for them to identify with. They also focus on plots that people in high school have some experience with, such as love triangles or evil authority figures.

Normal Adult media isn't a genre, it can be books on any topic with any kind of story and characters. I guess what makes them different from Young Adult media is that they require some understanding of adult life and its problems to really appreciate.

I'm lateposting while I catch up on the thread, but I have to ask:

Where does the new She-Ra fit into this?

Because for a child's view of it, it's some kids fighting evil or whatever, but as an adult you see the deeper storylines about overcoming and dealing with persistent mental health problems, childhood trauma, and the impact of those experiences on your personal relationships. And that's not reading into the work, that is intended to be there.

So I think the wide brush you and some of the other posters are using is inappropriate, and I think it makes much more sense to split childrens works into age like:

- Stuff intended for kids 1 - 6 (I'll call this, stuff for infants)
- Stuff intended for kids 6 - 13 (Stuff for kids)
- Stuff intended for teenagers (Stuff for teens, but I'll include that in stuff for kids)

A lot of works in the middle and latter categories are not just focused towards children -- in the 80s and 90s people realised that parents are going to either be watching with their children or they are going to be in the room, so it made sense to make them have "hidden plots" or whatever you call them, where as a child you don't see the dirty jokes and the analogies/metaphors with mental health, fascism, etc. And at the end of the day, adults are writing it, this stuff is going to work it's way into any genuinely complex plotline.

Another good example of this is The Simpsons (seasons 2 - 7, obviously), as a child you don't catch a lot of the gags that exist, and one of the things that makes it so rewatchable are the things you pick up on having grown emotionally and in the scope of your understanding of references. It's not heavily intellectual in nature, but there's a lot of commentary there about say, the state of the world and commentary on that, that you can dig your teeth into if you wanted to.

But then this trend goes back much further too, writing in the late 1800s onwards has this weird genre of books that are classically given to children, (I'm thinking stuff like a lot of Jules Verne's works, HG Wells, etc.) that could be read by both children and adults, and you'd get something different out of it each time you experience it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Manager Hoyden posted:

PHUO: A person who gets fat has injured their body. Their hormones, gut bacteria, insulin response, immune response, cardiovascular system, etc are hurt and do not work the way they should. The body is damaged. Wrecked. And the jury is still out on whether any of it is reversible.

To a certain degree, this is "correct" but it comes with such a long disclaimer that this is meaningless in actual fact.

Weight gain, over time, can come from a lot of things -- one of those is say, a gum infection that's become systemic and therefore is causing a change in your insulin resistance. And indeed, just generally being higher weight and having higher blood glucose over a long time can cause a changed insulin resistance, and that can lead to problems when you try to "normalize" that level. However, this should revert to normal after half a year+.

Gut bacteria, likewise, has a large impact on health. I remember reading a paper where they went over (with the available data) roughly, what foods had an impact on what bacteria -- most of the "positive" bacteria were increased with legumes, and starches increased the likelihood of "negative" gut bacteria taking hold.

Stress is a big factor, etc. etc.

All of this stuff though, is much much more complex than you have outlined, and not as simple as "oh the damage is done". Bodies are astonishingly great at mending themselves, and it's only now that we have modern medicine, that we get to know all the cases in which they can't. The problem is, the timescales involved and the aspects of systemic capitalism make it incredibly, astonishingly difficult for people individually, to lose weight.

Not to mention, that large amount of weight loss isn't losing adipose tissue, fat cells are big oily balloons, and all you do in the first stage of weight loss is deflate them. It's later, over time, that you start losing them outright -- and you have to trick your body into deliberately losing them (Or you can wait and it'll do it naturally).

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

Like it sucks but you just gotta do it. My mom used to work three jobs but always made sure I had a home cooked meal. You gotta start putting yourself first instead of your recreation

That is putting yourself first but in a different way. Stress-relief is important in a society that allows for no reprieve

Gaius Marius posted:

Especially here it's loving insane. And it takes over the conversation completely everytime some Rando who never posted before gets all indignant about it

You can always like, not post? You can always skip those parts of the thread? If it's causing you so much strife that you're badmouthing people, then do what you were telling other people: Put yourself first and just don't look at the thread for a bit.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

It's annoying cause forums are for discussion, killing discussion when someone decides that everyone needs to kowtow to their demands is ridiculous. How bout we spin the chessboard around and ask why the people who desperatley don't want to be spoiled feel the need to hang out in threads discussing things they haven't seen

Oh was that spoiler chat? I think I misread it being about this chat in general and you disliking the derails, not about spoilers specifically ?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Would it be preferable and courageous to say every single one of those fascist motherfuckers deserved it? Because they did.

I am holding you personally responsible for every action that trump, obama, and bush took.

I don't care if you voted for him or not, you existed in his political sphere therefore you were an active participant and vould have changed things -- why didn't you?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Shibawanko posted:

it's also pretty ironic to bring up the holocaust to defend it. if "prevent more deaths" was ever an objective of the allied high command they should have assasinated hitler, which they had several plausible plans for which were all rejected because they thought hitler was such a poor military leader that it would lead to an easier military defeat if he were kept alive. killing him would have probably ended the holocaust though, or at least slowed it down, but that was never a higher priority over total defeat, so the logic there was really not that different from the reason they nuked hiroshima and nagasaki: military victory over any and all ethical concerns

Question for the history buffs: Outside of Germany, how much was tangibly known about the Holocaust? They would have had some knowledge about it that they obviously kept under wraps, since I've heard it really wasn't until the cameras got there that the public believed the scale of it(?)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

PHUOs:
- Everyone is a music prude and that sucks (for them).

- Listening to different genres can take a while to get into properly because different music requires different listening styles.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

So, I used to deeply dislike rap and hip hop, and it was one of the genres I could just discard, along with country and death metal.

Despite that, I had always wanted to get into it, because I personally see music prudishness as a flaw, but I just kept bouncing off it. Then an ex of mine got me into it, and I found about the Native Tongues collective and stuff that wasn't "gangster rap", which broke a lot of illusions for me, and helped me explore a bit and feel more comfortable with the genre.

Then two years after listening to different artists on and off regularly, something clicked in my mind and I understood how to listen to it. I still vividly remember that switch flicking in my head, because the mixture of the lyrical flow and the backing track all came together.

Nowadays I don't feel any urge to listen to what I guess could be termed "Modern Rap", but it's because it just pales in comparison to Kahlifa, BDP, Wu Tang, etc.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Telemaze posted:

What do you mean by "listening style"? Like circumstances, environment, mindset, something else?

I mean like, how your mind processes the combination of the music, what parts you focus on, etc. Some parts you're not supposed to focus on as much as others, I can't think of an example for that.

One example of what I mean in general is Steve Reich's stuff. Some people I know find it boring and monotonous, but that's because they didn't understand that you're not listening for "a melody", you're listening for the emergent melody that comes out of the repetitive patterns combining, and how they interact in your head. Once I told them that and they'd had like a visualisation of it (clapping music works really well as an intro IMO), they were able to enjoy it.

I really, really love trent reznor's stuff, partly because it's helped me through a lot of lovely times, partly because no matter how many times I listen to it, I can hear new things in the background

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

nurmie posted:

you can "understand" it in a way - as in, learn the theory and the maths behind how it works - but that doesn't mean much, really, nor is it conductive to actually enjoying (nor creating) music. all of this also means that it's really hard to discuss music in any meaningful way - unless you do it with people with compatible tastes. it's kinda like language in that way - and, the way one acquires and builds their musical taste can be quite similar to how one learns to speak a language

:hmmyes:

There's a thing in classical music where you know how to play it technically correct (all the notes and timing are perfect) but where it's bad and terrible because you're not "putting yourself into the music" and letting your emotions flow into it as you play (I don't know how else to describe that)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Platystemon posted:

It means that the composer didn’t write the music well.

I've played classic and folk music professionally. You're wrong :P

There's a huge, huge difference between how Chris Thile (Can't remember if I'm spelling that right) plays classical versus how Andre Rieu does, to anyone who has experience it's glaringly noticable, and I assume it is to the layperson as well.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

ishikabibble posted:

Or the person isn't actually playing 'perfectly', you just don't have the ear to actually hear it :v:

Not meant to be a slight, but there are several other aspects to playing a note besides matching the tempo and the pitch. You can alter the timbre, the attack/decay, the dynamics, you can add flourishes - musical notation is intensely versatile when it comes to actually transcribing the mood and tone of a piece. A lot of that does add 'emotion' to a piece, but it's all in a quantifiable way, so the actual... 'emotional flow' from the player isn't really as relevant when they're basically told 'hey play this piece like you're plodding along a dark road because you have clinical depression'.

It's about as emotional as acting, basically.

e; Aaand now this sounds like dicksplaining so disregard this!

That's literally what I was describing lol, but thanks because that's a better description too :)

Platystemon posted:

It means that the composer didn’t write the music well.

Nope!

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 04:35 on Jul 10, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

a big egg posted:

The difference is we can't measure the effect an angel has on a person, because we don't even know they exist. We can measure the effect a distant planet has on a developing child though. I've never seen astrology people attribute magical powers to planets, it's all about alignments and positions that objectively have less than negligible effects on a person on earth. With angels, if you believe in them you are accepting there is something supernatural that can't be tested/explained. If astrology framed itself as a religion where it was based on faith I wouldn't have a problem with it, but they're trying to tell me that the simple fact that jupiter was at point X in its orbit instead of Y explains why I'm not rich. They aren't saying jupiter is a god whose mood changes depending on position, they're saying the ball of gas is exerting some kind of force on me at birth and that somehow changes me.

Both are kind of nonsensical/imaginary, but at least religion tries to explain why we can't prove/disprove it.

A lot of people (a lot) have escaped into Astrology as a kind of "ok this is obviously fake, however im choosing to believe in it because it brings me a small amount of joy in this hellish dystopia". Arguing with these people is just preaching to the choir and missing the point of it.

Like sure there are people that believe in it, but there's literally nothing you as an individual are going to be able to do with respect to that. It is astonishingly difficult to disabuse people of arguably harmful notions like this and it has to be done in a way that protected their psyche otherwise it's not gonna stick and you're just being an rear end.

There is pretty much no reason to get antsy about it because either way saying or doing anything about it has a high likelihood of failing utterly and just making you an rear end in a top hat in the process

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

nurmie posted:

what i'm saying is, consciously choosing to spend your limited time and hard-earned money on a make-believe, fantasy universe is a fundamentally irrational thing to do. kind of like being into astrology. and both of these things are entirely fine - if done in moderation

yet, we tend to ridicule and make fun of one of those things and (generally) not the other

clear enough?

what else should they spend their time on?

working their asses off for a boss that gets thousands for every dime they make? "useful" skills that don't give them as much pleasure as painting some figurines?

the planet is dying, give people a loving break jeez

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

PHUO: The MBTI is misunderstood by the people that made it, the people that tout it and the people who deride it.

The MBTI test itself is reliable for some metrics. If you get a certain letter combination you can say that this person is more likely to suffer from hypertension, or go about doing a task in a certain way. We know this with some degree of certainty, that those correlations can be meaningful if proper respect is applied to the credibility of the information available.

This is pretty replicable, and recent studies have shown that the idea that you can do the test multiple times and come out with a different letter combination doesn't hold true. So the test results do seem to mean something.

But the actual theory behind it has not been verified or tested, is not testable, and misapplications of the theory in general and the test in relation to that (say, business environments) are rightly scorned and derided. People on the internet who believe in "functional types" are worse though. Because not only is that unverified it's also inconsistent and everyone and their mother has a different explanation of how they work.

I would say the MBTI is worth ignoring for the most part. There's some small studies I want done with a larger sample size in relation to the P/J distinction, because that part of the result has been pretty well correlated to preferences around academic learning and behaviour styles, and the tiny study that is available seems to indicate that there is a huuuuge gap in resources available for people who come out with a P result.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

HazCat posted:

Counterpoint: people in power don't need excuses to discriminate, that's what 'being in power' means. When stuff like phrenology or astrology is used to justify discrimination, it always ~mysteriously~ supports the biases already held by those wanting to discriminate.

Also, nerds being assholes about it aren't harassing powerful politicians, they're pretty much exclusively harassing women.

You hosed up because we were arguing for the same thing, but in this post it really seems like you support people believing in phrenology, which is very literally a racist from the ground up ideology

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I mean, compare it to all the other hobbies you want, but nobody nukes their relationships or fucks themselves financially because Call of Duty said to rethink your life.

Or at least, if someone does think Luke Skywalker is telling them to sell their home and move away, they get reasonably treated like someone with poor mental health.

Ok, but there are about a hundred other things that cause this that are equally or more maddening than astrology.

And again, showing lack of support or derision for astrology is not going to convince anyone to stop believing in it, it just outs you as someone who is both insufferable and intolerant

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 06:16 on Jul 11, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Also if you really, really want to catch people on the psuedoscience downward slope, I have seen Natural News actually turn coherent, rational people with maybe a disadvantaged view of the public health system, into anti-vaxxers with an McEscheresque view of the world before my eyes. That seems like a better place to start IMHO

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

christmas boots posted:

I would love to know what their version of dickbutt and/or goatse is. Do they also have a groverhaus? Did a squidgoon also give up his family's Squidmas to help fund a racist hotdog vendor in what is also inexplicably referred to as Alabama?

Squidlabalma

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

all wealth is stolen

Exactly. Let's frame this in captalist terms, for the people who don't get this:

Payment is defined in terms of what someone brings the company. If you bring X value to the company, you are given more pay, right? That's what determines promotion, etc. So the very fact that companies can make money, means that the people working for the company must be paid less than they are worth.

This has very obviously been 'perverted' in the modern age with senior executives (that do literally gently caress all, or sometimes even harm the company) get obscene bonuses, while most people I know have to work 2-3 jobs to earn a wage that allows them to eat.

The fact of the matter is that as it stands, we have more than enough housing and food for everyone. The fact that people are poor is literally a matter of deliberate malice and bad logistics, because it turns out that relying on 'money' to distribute food means that most food ends up utterly wasted.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

thetoughestbean posted:

This is a depressingly overly simplistic view of both society and morality

they literally never read ant anti-capitalist literature and just developed it independently

like idk how you would read anti-capitalist literature and never encounter the words "there is no ethical consumption under capitalism", and all that phrase entails

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Guyver posted:

No fruit is good for you it's not even up for debate. The same with juice maybe don't drink it if you're fat but there's stuff in there that is good for you. It's nothing like a soda.

One time a friend I know had a potassium deficiency. The pills were terrible and absolutely wrecking her digestive system (vitamin suppliments are well known for being gross as gently caress and really damaging in some ways), so she asked the doctor to calculate how many bananas it would take a day

turns out it was like 6 or 7 and she ate those instead and was absolutely fine

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Also I have a FODMAP thing and it means that almost all fruits are off-limits, and im pretty sure my next vitamin bloods are gonna turn up that im deficient in many different things. It also means I gotta avoid garlic and onions and jesus loving christ those are in everything :qq:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Josef bugman posted:

PHUO: I hate cooking.

It's boring and, especially when you are living with people, it means that you have to do a very personal thing in front of people and you are both often getting in each others way as you try to eat/cook.

It also has a very high percentile chance of loving up and making something completely inedible.

Not if you make stews. You cannot gently caress up a stew. Also people who say this ime tend not to have learned to test stuff and develop their instincts during cooking

Here's a super simple stew recipe:

cook meat. add tinned tomatoes and whatever spices (thyme, rosemary, paprika, and cumin are a good starter blend) -- with spices sometimes less is more but you can taste halfway through cooking. Add some vegetables, literally whatever you want that you think might taste nice, boil it down to reduce it a bit. done.

pasta is "cook until soft", you literally cannot go wrong.

rice is a bit more involved but the secret is to double the water to the rice, so 1 cup of rice means 2 cups of water. wash it first (until the water is as clear as you want), boil until the water is as near to gone as can be and then turn it off the heat and leave it for like 10 minutes just sitting there. Don't take the lid off, turn it down if it starts bubbling over, etc.

The cool thing about rice is you can dump frozen vegetables, tumeric, and some spices into it and all you really have to keep an eye on is the rice.

Literally don't bother with pastries, it's like 90% work for 20% of a meal.

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 03:56 on Jul 17, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

There is also a wealth of cooking shows on youtube. You Suck At Cooking is gimmicky but super accessible, then you have people like Babish that help you develop your skills, and Alvin Zhou that go the extra mile

For the first time ever in history we can literally ask "how does someone do X" and watch a video of someone doing it rather than having to seek out an expert and beg to look over their shoulder. It's worth it friendo :kimchi:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

I feel attacked. As a former Pastry chef, you have no idea. The amount of work,effort, and planning put into some pastries is bullshit vs what you actually get.

Anyways Babish sucks, just watch Jacques Pepin

Yeah, honestly I feel this extends to baking, too. Usually when we make homemade bread it's gone in like two or three days because it's just too delicious to leave, and we're all left wanting more :smith:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

mind the walrus posted:

Cooking sucks unless you have a household to divide up the steps with. Having to plan, procure, prepare, actually cook, and then clean even for just yourself is a loving bullshit amount of work unless you make it a hobby unto itself.

PHUO: People don't know how to clean dishes.

Literally all you do is, during cooking, if a dish is dirty clean it right there and then on the spot. I know it feels more efficient to leave it be and do them all at once, but the reality is that by the time you've left it that long all the bits of food and starch and stuff that's on there has had time to wield itself to the surface.

A dish that's literally just been used can be washed and rinsed in 2 - 5 seconds and put to dry. A dish that's been sitting there for 10 minutes suddely is a 3 minute job to scrub off all the bits that have glued themselves to it. And the former comes out cleaner than the latter, in my experience. You don't even need to wait for the tap water to heat up because the dish itself is hot.

Pots and pans are great because you can just at the end, keep it on the heat, dump water inside and let it boil it a bit, then just swish a nylon brush inside and everything comes off because the pan itself is hot. This deals with carbonisation too and is absolutely effortless.

It takes maybe a week to learn how to get into the flow of it without burning stuff, but it takes washing up from being maybe a 30 minute job uselessly scrubbing spices off the inside of a pan, to being a 3 minute job, and you don't even feel that because it's distributed across the entire cooking time

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 13:15 on Jul 17, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

fizzymercury posted:

People who don't clean as they cook are wasting their whole life. That one skill is the difference between hating the process of cooking and cleaning and not. It's essential.

People who don't clean at all are animals and I don't understand them or how they can live.

People who don't clean at all are radiating an SEP field, except there's nobody else around for it to be the other person's problem.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

ishikabibble posted:

the issue isn't 'accepting'. the issue is large swathes of the american internet at large taking near every opportunity to make snarky comments about the US while having borderline zero knowledge of any of what they're talking about.

it's not 'US cops need to stop shooting people' it's

https://twitter.com/benigma2017/status/1391744813976936452

with the implication that every other country in the world has magical socialized dentistry that covers absolutely everything, and the US is uniquely awful in that people here have to pay for dental care. It's a pervasive attitude that leads to people assuming that if there's a problem they experience while living in the US, it's something that they'd only experience in the US.

Ok but even in my hellhole of a country (the uk, which is currently competing with the US for the "dumbest poo poo" award in every category), I was able to phone up the local health board, get an emergency dental appointment the same day, and had any costs waivered due to me being a poor gently caress.

But even if I had had to pay it would have been about 20£ and that would cover pretty much everything aside from intense several-hours dental work.

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/dentists/dental-costs/how-much-will-i-pay-for-nhs-dental-treatment/

None of this is to say that it couldn't be better. I'm having to fill out pages and pages of forms just to get disability and it's pretty normal for people applying for disability to get it denied and have to go through a tribunal where the judge goes ":wtc: just give her the drat money".

But all of this is leagues ahead of the US.

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 23:40 on Jul 18, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I think there is a problem where american exceptionalism leaks into how americans talk about how lovely the country is, but the thing is, that is comorbid with people who absolutely do not accept the fact that even when other countries are doing "kinda poo poo", like trans people being sterilised or disabled people literally dying because the assessor said they were fit to work, the US is abominably worse.

Like even with the bullshit im facing trying to get an independent accomodation while living in an abusive environment, and trying to get hormones and my mental health poo poo sorted out, I still cannot imagine getting stabbed and going "oh, i can't afford to pay for an ambulance or treatment, no option other than to risk sepsis like it's the loving middle ages"

Earlier this year the Welsh police force sent forty officers to beat a black man to death, and there have been several other black people killed since then, and even on that same metric the US is doing far, far worse. The vaccination rollout has been (possibly criminally) mismanaged but there aren't queues that go on for miles.

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 23:48 on Jul 18, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Josef bugman posted:

That's because it isn't really population but how resources are allocated. The reason people might be rude is because the argument that there are "too many people" seems always to be used to excuse or explain crimes against people.

This.

Over 90% of the carbon output that is killing the planet is done by companies. Even if everyone in the world started being net-carbon zero or negative you'd have a 5-10% decrease in carbon dioxide output.

There is more than enough food being created to feed everyone in the world, the problem is a logistical one and that's literally the fault of capitalism. Like how we have stockpiles of vaccines and can make AIDS vaccines for like 2¢ but a literal cartel of copyright companies lobbied for trade sanction against Africa when they tried to do that

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

thetoughestbean posted:

While I agree with the idea that it’s not on the average person, and the responsibility is on the few powerful people to change things for the better, “ninety percent of the carbon footprint comes from a handful of companies” is a bit misleading given that the vast majority of those companies are state-owned energy companies.

https://bios.fi/bios-governance_of_economic_transition.pdf

"It can be safely said that no widely applicable economic models have been developed specifically for the upcoming era."

The paper goes to lengths to implicitly state that capitalism as an economic model is not sustainable.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

PHUO: Games could use 10% of the resources (gfx, cpu, etc.) and look and feel the exact same with only a minor graphics quality hit. It would be cheaper on the industry to do this but they're so stuck in either building to specific hardware or mired in decades of abstractions that nobody in the industry can do it at this point without writing everything from the ground up.

If someone can make a PS1 output 1 million-ish particles at a good framerate, then doing the same on my PC should be loving childs play. 70%+ of the games on the market are not that intensive and could run a fuckload better and faster than they do but nobody gives a poo poo about poor folks having access to games.

Most games I've played built on Unity are hellish because my computer is a laptop potato from 2014, I get 5-10 FPS on games that really do not require the resources they are trying to use, but this also goes for any AAA game made in the last ten years, and a good chunk of indie games.

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 01:45 on Jul 19, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Robobot posted:

I wasn't attacking you, I was suggesting speaking to a professional about those feelings as well. If you don't want to or can't afford it then keep doing what you're doing.

Hmm

Robobot posted:

If you're "self-diagnosing" things like that, you really should go speak to an actual doctor/therapist. You're not qualified to make that kind of determination on yourself.

Scare quotes plus the bolded part absolutely make it seem like an attack on Jorts.

The idea that a therapist that has talked to someone for a few hours over the course of months is in a better position to diagnose someone's mental health problems, versus the actual person who has lived with those problems for likely their entire life, knows very saliently what they are experiencing, and is in the best place to figure out what diagnosis fits best, is very strange imo.

I agree that talking to a professional is good but usually all they will do is help you guide yourself to a diagnosis. All therapy can give you is someone who will listen to you and give you tools to help yourself, but you still have to do the legwork.

Most of the people I know have had to push for testing for ADHD, Autism, etc. because the therapist just straight up did not pick up on it. After testing they finally got confirmation but all that does is enable access to resources for those things. It's totally ok to go "ok, I don't think those resources would benefit me more than just reading these books about my condition and doing a lot of self-reflection"

Of course, a lot of people aren't capable of that self-reflection -- those are the people that need therapy, but those same people generally aren't aware enough to self diagnose most of the time.

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 16:32 on Jul 21, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Josef bugman posted:

The problem, to me at least, is that we are comparing some online spaces to each other and not to the wider world.

Have you seen the wider world? jfc man

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

PHUO: I agree with the above but, I also don't think paying more than a cursor glance at large-scale politics is worth it.

To put it clearly: Local politics is fine and good to pay attention to, because it's actually something you can do something about. You can write to your MP or write to your local police chief and it might be read and bring about some change, you can join committees and movements and actually bring about local reform.

What I don't understand is people who watch speeches by Trump or Boris or Farage just to get angry at them. My mother does this and I have to wonder, why?

Like, I can look at The News and see that Boris Johnson has told another lie. Ok, what am I going to do about it, storm parliament? What good can possibly come from me being Informed that politicians at a level I cannot possibly hope to affect, have decided to privatise more of our public health system, or are putting the economy over people dying, or are betting on hedge funds while driving our country off a cliff called Brexit.

This ties into my material situation where I'm unable to attend protests due to disability and poverty and stuff, and my mental situation where I'm actually super depressed a lot of the time, so cutting out The News has had a positive impact on my partners since they don't have to deal with emotional dips because more people are bombing each other or putting money over lives.

Likewise I have a partner in the states that really, really gets distressed to the point of tears about stuff that happens in the senate and poo poo that last year's POTUS did and I totally, absolutely understand her distress, but then she will go back to read the news and get distressed all over again and we have to talk her down from suicidal despair

I just don't get it, I don't see what the benefit is of having this information.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Also I feel it's inherently different from media. With media you're buying a product, so learning that the one guy has outstanding assault cases or is lovely about the age of consent or whatever. All of that ties into a decision on what you're spending your time on, and what you decide to buy.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

veni veni veni posted:

Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt isn't that great. It's fine, I guess. It's a corny song to begin with, but the original stomps the cover version and I'm not even like, a die hard Nine Inch Nails fan or anything. The way people talk about that song feels masturbatory, like it's the most amazing thing that this senior citizen is clearing his throat phlegm over a NIN song. Whatever.

The original is better. Because Reznor's performance feels genuine and less like an old grouchy dad who's sad he has to pay child support

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Josef bugman posted:

Political gridlock in the USA as a "for instance". For example it seems very nuanced and there are a lot of existing norms about how we cannot do certain things, less they lead to worse outcomes further down the road. However the idea of there even being a "futher down the road" relies upon shattering the kneecaps of any fucker who thinks that human life should be considered secondary to preserving existing norms.

Alongside that you have things like worker ownership of industries. There seem to be arguments about efficiency and so on, but I do not think they fundamentally matter in the same way that making sure people are safe and fed the world over matter.

As a more philosophical level I'd say the "save a priceless artwork or a person" always comes down to saving the person first. Human life is more valuable than stuff.

These examples are higher level and broader in scale than what your general supposition is though.

Like, I agree that an international emergency council for "Crimes Against The Ecosystem" should be set up, and I honestly think that the first act should be to gut Exxon, BP, etc. and so on, and redistribute their money while shoving the top tiers of power over those companies straight into Guantanamo.

At the same time, you can't deal with a lot of small-world stuff with this same attitude (Like, the stuff that the thread was talking about before you posted that take).

Not to mention, in many cases the power politics is messy as hell, and denying that is exactly why the USSR ended up as State Capitalism and countless other revolutions have collapsed or expired. Revolutions cause people to start hoarding because of the inherent instability, you can't force people to suddenly change centuries of learned culture overnight, and that culture will still bleed into any new systems you create.

And the fact of the matter is that as a disabled person, I honestly dont think I or anyone else I know would survive a revolutionary effort despite it having a better chance at continuing the human race than any reformist efforts.

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 20:16 on Jul 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Yeah a lot of internet revolutionaries seem to be perfectly fine with death, since its just gonna be the disenfranchised who would die in said revolution. Not anyone they care about.

Yeah, these are the same people who are having hundred-page facebook comments arguments about stalin versus trotsky. People who have read volumes upon volumes of Hegel and Stalin and Lenin and Rosenburg, not actually doing anything but arguing. An utter waste of space and a disappointment to any revolutionary efforts.

Since I hooked up to the local trans groups, I'm increasingly of the opinion that local reformism and mutual aid groups are the way forward for revolutionary movements. The black panther party knew what was up when they set up community initiatives by which they could educate the local community to provide for themselves and take care of themselves -- the fact that those initiatives are still running well half a century after most of those people were jailed or killed is a testament to the power in community organization.