Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

you can legit tell me what drug you are into and i won't judge you

I exclusively get high on self-loathing and crippling depression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

If someone in America made a french fry and butter sandwich you would assume they were extremely hung over. In Britain it's just a normal food they eat all the time

Is it possible that they're just perpetually extremely hung over?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sunswipe posted:

I've heard that. Nothing against The Rock, I just don't think he's had his big breakout movie like Arnie had with Terminator and/or Commando.

To be honest I don't think he really even wants to or at least doesn't care if it happens. He seems perfectly happy where he's at.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

The lightning bolts themselves weren't evil, it was just visual shorthand for evil wizard. The dark side isn't bad because it gives you lightning powers, it's bad because it draws from and reinforces negative emotions like hate.

The other thing is that the dark side force powers were pretty powerful but "I solve all my problems with violence" kinds of things. While the Jedi knew how to fight they generally tried not to. In a way the dark side was like cheating your way through school. Yeah you can do it and it works in the short run but the issue is that cheating means you probably aren't just learning the things you should be. Which means later on you just have to cheat more. To get back on the non-cheaty path you have to do a ton of work to catch up. Way better to just not cheat and learn the stuff you're supposed to in the first place. It's harder in the short term but better in the long term. If you go down the bad path then a snag you run into is that eventually you get outed as a dirty cheater and nobody trusts you anymore. The only people who want anything to do with you are other untrustworthy cheaters.

The force works about the same way; yeah people that fall to the dark side can come back but it isn't easy. The temptation is always there. Force lightning is rad as hell sure but the only use it really has is killing things. It isn't that using it is inherently evil but that if you're solving all of your problems with force lightning you're probably resorting to pain and violence to solve everything.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Dark side and not as dark side.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

No, that's just legitimizing the annexation of more of November by Christmas.

Christmas owns things as far back as like September now. At this point Thanksgiving is like "gently caress we have to celebrate something else before Christmas hits? At least the turkey makes us go to sleep early so we can have an easier time getting up for Black Friday."

There is no war against Christmas. If there is a war against Christmas it's loving winning.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Shibawanko posted:

It literally is though and people do it all the time. You can take a weekend off in Istanbul or something: fly there friday evening, fly back sunday evening or monday morning, have almost 2 days to see the city, that's assuming you can't get any extra days off. People do this all the time, not just the rich or the middle class, anyone can. I worked lovely call center jobs for a while and could still do it even on that bullshit salary.

Well that depends on where you are and where you're going to. Istanbul is at least a 13 hour flight from here. I mean I guess I could just get on the plane in the evening, sleep on the way, sleep there Saturday, and overnight the flight back starting Sunday but...well I do have a job and what if I get delayed or stuck or something?

Granted in these parts I could just book a cabin in the woods for a weekend but that's going to depend on how you define "vacation."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

spit on my clit posted:

the fact that people willingly pay money to post on a forum is proof enough that free will exists.

It's mostly proof that people are stupid. Because the internet made us that way, you see.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Escape rooms are a dumb gimmick. There has to be some element of risk, otherwise it's just a no-consequences puzzle that you either solve or don't. There are always dumb restrictions that make it super obvious what the possible places to look for clues are. Of course legally they can't put you in physical danger, but they could at least make it a financial risk to get the adrenaline flowing, something like if you lose you have to pay 10x admission.

They really are just puzzles. That's the appeal. It's a puzzle.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

spit on my clit posted:

e-sports are the most laughable "sports" there are. not because of the video games themselves, but rather the people who want to be taken seriously. they're either the biggest clowns imaginable, pedophiles, or wife beaters. i understand that sports players are no strangers to beating/murdering their wives (looking at you, OJ), but clearly such a similarity shouldn't be shared between the two. the worst clownology we get from sports players is that guy who kneeled during the national anthem, but even then that was such a "who gives a poo poo" situation. oh no, the man didn't stand up. who cares.

I was going to say "the problem with e-sports is that it's rife with corruption, bullshit, and inflating numbers to make it look better than it is" but realized that regular sports does the same thing. There are obviously enough people paying attention to it for it to be A Thing but so far it's just as much of a mess as regular sports.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

Why does it have to be mindless? Why can't it ust be that someone can disagree with an artist, but still like their work?

It's also possible to flip the script on that one which is part of the problem. It becomes "if you consume this person's art then you obviously support whatever they believe." When really I might not even know what they believe. I can't vet everything a person has ever done. If I see something as if it dropped out of a vacuum and like it my first thought is going to be "I like this thing" and not "I need to learn more about whoever created it before deciding to like this thing."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Aramek posted:

Xmas owns. You only have to hear Xmas music for a few more days, and if it bothers you I'm sorry, also lol.

If you've worked retail and/or restaurants Christmas music gets aggravating really quickly. It starts in like September and doesn't end until January. It's the same like eight songs over and over again many of which are a minute long. In a pathetic attempt to spice things up every pop star ever makes their own even cheerier version, puts some stupid gimmick on it, or drags it out to four minutes in the worst way possible. The end result is that you have to hear the songs so many times you're guaranteed to get sick of them but you have to listen to horrible versions that are significantly more annoying.

Then you get to deal with people that are hideously entitled and trying to outdo each other instead of actually celebrating a holiday. People will act like you personally are deliberately trying to ruin their Christmas if the store you work for runs out of something. It's like yeah I'd gladly sell you that thing if we had any but we are out of that thing so I cannot. My job is to sell you things. That's what I get paid to do so yes I'll sell you a thing if I can. But I can't. It is impossible for me to sell you that thing as I do not have any of that thing. Go ahead, complain to management and try to get me fired. You'll get the same answer. We're out. We don't have any. We can't miracle it into existence.

The worst is people just don't want to know about it when they hear about people are are going to have a lovely Christmas. Like hey yeah guess what some people are poor as hell and can't afford to have a good Christmas. Instead of telling them to go away and not talking about how about you get into the spirit of the season and share your great Christmas with them? gently caress, they'd probably appreciated it if you just gave them $50 for a better Christmas dinner. Oh, you put a $3 knock off action figure in Toys for Tots? gently caress you. If that's the only effort you can manage to do then don't act like you're some kind of drat saint.

What are my Christmas plans? I'm spending the day with a bottle of cheap whiskey and drinking myself stupid because I'm poor as hell, I'm estranged from my family, and I have nowhere to go. Oh, I just ruined your Christmas by reminding you that the world isn't a perfect, wonderful place? Go to hell. How do you think watching the rest of the world feels when the only thing you have to look forward to is drinking alone? Bah loving humbug. I despise the holiday.

Why yes I did quit celebrating Christmas many years ago, why do you ask?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

I solved climate change a long time ago. Change nothing and just move everyone away from the coasts and deserts until we colonize Mars or the moon or whatever.

Bing bang boom, problem solved.

Gather up all the nukes, bury them all in one place. Set them all off. Crack this rock apart, irradiated so badly the cockroaches take over. No more people alive to care. Problem solved.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

doverhog posted:

Cyberpunk was cool in the 80's but futurism has moved on, it's all about scanned and endlessly replicated human souls running on machines in space battling on the rings of Saturn in a quantum war now. No one gives a poo poo about which corporation or nation is gonna win.

Cyberpunk quit being cool because a depressing amount of it just kind of happened. Incessant bombardment by adverts everywhere you go for poo poo you don't want or need, computers in our pockets, hackers committing high level espionage, face recognition scanners in public places that have everybody in their database, corporations so powerful they can boss entire countries around. There are people with cybernetic limbs right loving now.

We're in cyberpunk. Right now. Right at this moment.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

We're in a weird place with sci-fi because there's a sort of resistance to really imagining the future. Like, nobody wants to really think about how bad stuff could get with climate change.But on the flipside, nobody really wants to think about how much of our society would have to change for the future to be better. Like, back in the 50s white sci-fi authors could imagine the future as just what they had but with more cool gadgets and in space. But nowadays we know this can't go on. Nobody could seriously argue that most Americans are going to be living like how we are now in 100 years. So to come up with a positive vision for the future, you have to be able to articulate a truly different vision for society. And that's something that has been beaten out of people. Our modern society is predicated on the idea that there are no other options.

I think there's other things going on on that vein. One thing people kept saying was that we'd be exploring the stars aaaaaany day now. Then Einstein had to go and poo poo on the whole thing by pointing out that no you actually can't go faster than light and in fact time and space do all kinds of fucky things if you try to. There were people trying to say that it was nonsense but unfortunately we're pretty drat certain that Einstein was right about that one which really throws a wrench in the works when it comes to faster than light travel and communications. There are theoretical things that can get around that rule in weird ways but as it stands, well, yeah. It also turned out to be way more difficult to get poo poo into space in the first place than anybody imagined. Meanwhile space stations get kind of leaky because the bacteria that live on and in us don't like being restricted to just us, crawl off all over the place, and start eating holes in things. Plants don't grow all that well in space and it turns out creating entire ecosystems for life support is way more difficult than we thought. We're still figuring that poo poo out it turns out and nature just doesn't work the way we thought it did in a lot of ways. We knew space travel would be complicated but it turns out it's like multiple orders of magnitude more complicated than we anticipated.

Of course, you know, people gonna people so we're figuring that poo poo out but it's taking way longer than we had anticipated.

Granted it also turns out that while we were worrying about government surveillance corporate surveillance was ratcheting up. While the internet has done things that are practically miraculous it's also allowed assholes to be bigger assholes than assholes 100 years ago could ever have imagined. The internet of things and smart homes turned out to be horrible loving ideas as a lot of things just don't need electronics. A toaster doesn't need precise temperature controls and a pile of bullshit electronics. It needs to make toast. If it makes toast it's a good toaster. The only thing smart everything really managed to accomplish was allowing assholes with botnets to create record-setting DDOS attacks on a daily basis. While the internet is full of information and you can learn about basically anything you want the ease of spreading information makes it just as easy to spread misinformation. Instead of looking for the truth people just go to "tellmewhyimright.com." News moves so fast that fact checking has gone out the window. By the time you get the facts checked a thousand other stories have broken.

Despite all of that I can't get where I need to be in a flying taxi with a robot driver who can make pleasant conversation about whatever I want with whatever accent and voice I want ti to have. Automated phone systems are a loving disaster on top of that as they won't understand you at all if you have an uncommon accent. Like yeah I adore technology and I'm a computer toucher by trade but if this is the best we can do I for one am not impressed. Come on humanity, we can do better than this.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Shrecknet posted:

There's a lot of classic art that isn't actually good and is almost unapproachable from today's viewpoint and we shouldn't hold them up as good, merely important. Ulysses is a bad fukken book. Birth of a Nation is a horrible movie. It's ok to say it was bad but first.

Birth of a Nation was considered a lovely movie when it came out too. It was blatant propaganda that a ton of people really didn't like. It was massively controversial but it was also a technical marvel at the time and one of the most expensive movies made up to that point. That's ultimately why it went down in history; at the time movies were little more than a curiosity and weren't long. Birth of a Nation was like two hours long and really unlike anything anybody had seen.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I mean, it's also possible that the time police went "yeah well they were fighting the Borg so...we'll let that one slide." I think the Borg are one of those "all bets are off, this is desperate, do what you have to do" situations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

doverhog posted:

I don't have the text of the Federation charter here, so feel free to contradict me if you do. My impression from various episodes I couldn't name right now is that the Federation considers the use of such weapons criminal.

The Borg are not computers, and even if they were, Data had human rights and he was a computer. They even had an episode where Picard was forced to argue that question in a military tribunal and his position won. Starfleet appears to have gone down a dark path since then though.

But yeah it appears from the second episode the Borg are not wholly extinct despite Janeway's actions. Let's not forget by the way that she didn't just unleash the virus, she also used future tech to destroy the transwarp conduit the Borg used for long distance travel, which would have a pretty significant effect on a civilization spanning almost a quadrant of the Milky Way.

To be fair though Data was pretty chill and didn't have a habit of conquering everything he saw. The Borg pretty much only existed to expand and subsume all other intelligent life. The ones that got disconnected from the collective could be convinced to knock it the hell off but that was a difficult thing to do, it was clearly a traumatic experience, and they quit being Borg when that happened.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Voyager had some fantastic ideas but those were balanced out by Voyager also having colossally stupid ideas.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
My plan for defending my home if I'm ever attacked there is to poo poo myself, whimper in the corner, and give the burglar whatever he wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The thing to remember about Kill Bill is that it's kind of meant to be partly sarcastic and partly just completely and totally absurd. Tarantino gets poo poo for making movies that are pretty graphic so Kill Bill just turned everything he does with his movies to 11 then says "no, go higher." It's partly an homage to stupid martial arts flicks and partly self-aware about how stupid both it and its genre are. It's one of my favorite movies specifically because it's just completely over the top while going "what, you expected something else?" It isn't trying to be anything historic or deeply artsy; it's just being dumb and it works.