Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/20/asia/japanese-millennials-virgins/

My memory as memory tends to be is in accurate. Almost half of Japanese millennials have never had sex not adults overall.

That just strikes me as incredibly bizarre. That's like a basic human urge. We hump. It's what we do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

hard counter posted:

Millennials having fewer partners is sort of an odd statistic to stand on its own, it needs more data for proper interpretation imho and I didn't see any corroborating analysis attached. It's anecdotal I know but a lot of my friends have married or are otherwise in committed, long-term relationships with their 3rd or 4th partner; most of them used some kind of online thing to find each other. It would be unfair to say that getting hitched after having fewer partners implies some kind of lessening of their sex lives compared to boomers. Could be that online dating is actually working for some people in finding that weird someone they get along with really well that much quicker. It's worked for the people I know personally. I'd like to see a tighter, more controlled study here.

More sexless millennials is probably a better indicator that some people getting pressured out of dating because of current circumstances, probably escaping elsewhere. Whatever those circumstances are must be turned up to 11 in Japan. :psyduck:

True, as an otherwise desirable person you could probably go many years before realizing that you are the real common factor of all those sour relationships.

In America one of the major things that drove that number down was AIDS. Most STDs are bacterial. The viral ones most of us have already anyway; everybody has HPV and almost everybody has herpes. The bacterial ones became pretty easy to cure and thanks to condoms and what have you while the baby boomers lived through the 60's and 70's. AIDS didn't get officially seen in America until 1981. The free love era got hammered really hard by a terrifying, incurable STD. Suddenly "just hump whoever, all the time, who cares?" became pretty scary.

Online dating isn't much different from dating services, newspaper personals, and whatever except by scale. People that act like online dating is some new scary thing full of monsters seem to forget that newspapers have had personal ads for like...ever.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

hard counter posted:

AIDs def had its affects on free love but one stat I didn't mention was that GenX had similar numbers as boomers. The oldest Xers would've been around 11-15 in '81 and they might've had the biggest aids scare.

It took a while to kick in. For quite a while it was assumed that it was a gay men only disease. Even when it became apparent that all sexual contact spread it, as could transfusions, sharing needles, etc. it was still considered something only dirty and bad people got. It was associated with immoral sex acts, gay people, and drug addicts pretty heavily which made it Not Our Problem to straight, white, non-poor people.

It was the mid to late 80's as well as early 90's when it started killing famous people who were going public about having AIDS that it kicked in to high gear. The biggest turning point was probably Magic Johnson which was 1991. Even then a hell of a lot of people were dead set on insisting that it was because he was secretly loving dudes. The 90's is when it really got taken a lot more seriously. That was when millennials were coming of age; the 80's had a lot of glam and glitz and some trying to cling to the free wheeling attitudes of the past. The 90's wrecked that completely.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Aramek posted:

Wait, Uber isn't solvent? The gently caress?!

Uber has never been profitable. They literally lost $500 million one year, I think. Part of their strategy is to just undercut everybody until no competition exists.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

What the gently caress are their expenses. They don't own anything, except for an app. Are they subsidizing their drivers from their own (well, their venture capitalist pals') pockets?

Yes, actually.

I was horribly wrong.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-20/uber-s-loss-exceeds-800-million-in-third-quarter-on-1-7-billion-in-net-revenue

Literal billions in losses.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The thing with wrestling is that it used to take itself pretty seriously and acted like it was real. Kayfabe was A Thing and you never, ever broke character. Ever.

Then eventually people started realizing that it was really, really fake (this isn't a difficult thing to see) while wrestling realized that nobody actually gave a poo poo if it was real or not.

So wrestling started taking itself less seriously. Professional wrestling is stupid. It knows it's stupid and just runs with it. The best way I ever heard it described was "a soap opera with huge stunt men for guys."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Collateral Damage posted:

Oh yeah, there's a lot of cargo culting in the startup biz. But generally it's done to cut costs regardless of the buzzword-filled motivation for it.

That or so management can more easily look over everybody's shoulders all the time. Humans are also kind if territorial and having MY cube satisfies that. Yeah coworkers can come by if they need me but the cube wall clearly delineates my cube from the rest of the office. Open plans take that away.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Aramek posted:

I'm skeptical of non mammalian pets, because non mammals don't like getting hugged and petted.

What's the point of a pet if you're not gonna hug and pet it?

Lizards are cool?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Das Boo posted:

I do not get the hate/love for those Funko Pop things. I really don't quite get why anyone cares.

They're this <arbitrary period of time>'s beanie babies fad.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

oldpainless posted:

I've actually heard the exact opposite.

It's almost as if Indians are a diverse people; some of whom are lazy and some of whom are industrious.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The problem with outsourcing to India is that it happens when somebody asks "how can we hire programmers more cheaply?" Any Indian programmer that's good is making as much as an American programmer that is good and is going to get passed over. Hell they may very well have left India and come to America.

You could find the same grade of cheap, garbage programmers in America but for some mysterious reason people outsource outside of America for cheap work.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm not a fan of Baldwin's though cause I don't feel like the impersonator should totally hate the object of the impersonation and Baldwin is obviously just trying his best to skewer him. Tina Feys impersonation of Palin was damaging but I never felt like Fey hates Palin as a person

E:whoops quote isn't edit

In this case the punchline is Trump's reaction to the joke. He's deliberately pissing off Trump for just that reason.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

spit on my clit posted:

or you could shower twice a day

Real answer: never stop showering.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

doverhog posted:

That is actually bad, because the outside is dangerous, full of cars and rat poison. You should love your kitty enough to imprison it indoors, kindly, while feeling vaguely bad about "owning" a living thing.

You don't own cats. Cats own you.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Aesop Poprock posted:

Moral relativism makes sense to a degree but I feel like when you're at the female genital mutilation, hands chopped off for stealing point yeah your culture is pretty much unjustifiable poo poo overall

I know people are gonna come back with the US having executions and jailing minorities for decades because of dumb stuff and yes, I apply that to us as well

No, I'm pretty sure American culture is also terrible.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

hard counter posted:

i think people still care but not enough to actually watch the entire, bloated program; they'll check who won in an article and let that be that knowing if anything really exciting happens there'll be clips online anyway

imuo it's mostly nice that positions with very low visibility, like those on the more technical side, get a chance for brief attention on the kinds of neat things they do as well

A lot of it is just plain marketing. How often do you hear things like "starring Academy Award winner..." and whatever. That or you'll have people buying copies of movies that won because "well hey it has all these awards, it can't be that bad." I guess that's kind of sort of true but it seems like the really enduring, amazing movies that people watch over and over tend to not be the ones that won awards. The ones that win biggest are pretty much always glamorous but forgettable oscar bait.

The rest of it is literally rich Hollywood stars congratulating each other for being rich Hollywood stars.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

"Decades" isn't that far away considering the amount of technological advancements it requires. One of the biggest problems they have to overcome is how the AI reacts to lovely human drivers.....also I guess whether the AI should protect the occupants lives over others, but I mean thats a super small concern that no one should really think about.

Uber is driving them around Pittsburgh right now and they're doing so well I don't even really notice them anymore. They're still not perfect but the main time the human driver has to intervene is when it gets paralyzed with indecision because driving in Pittsburgh is awful. The things don't understand the Pittsburgh left and often get stuck at a four way intersection with stop signs because nobody ever stops as long as they're "supposed" to.

Seriously, if they can drive here at all it won't be that long before nobody has to drive anymore. It might take decades for them to completely displace human drivers but trust me; they're already here. Once they become common enough there will be more autonomous cars than human-driven ones which will make it far, far easier for autonomous cars to drive.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Not to mention the fact that these cars will be vulnerable to hacking and tampering in ways that we may not be able to anticipate.

It's not the technology that bothers me so much, but the puffy, sycophantic press that autonomous cars have been receiving. Most people seem to think that self-driving cars is going to lead us to a perfect future, and that worries me because it doesn't seem like there are many serious conversations about the consequences of the technology that is being developed.

It'll take time to solve those problems but the simple fact is that they aren't going to go away. They're going to only increase. Maybe it'll be slow, maybe it'll be fast. Either way they're here and won't leave.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sentient Data posted:

Good, that means you're still sane for the time being

I don't know how anybody can look at America right now and feel absolutely no crushing depression at all. Horror and despair are really the most logical reactions.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

Who the gently caress has oatmeal for lunch :confused:

I do sometimes. Then again I also very much enjoy oatmeal and fruit.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

starkebn posted:

there are evidence based, secular addiction help groups out there. AA is poo poo and has no proof their methods work even after all this time

If memory serves AA and NA are a bit better than trying to quit entirely by yourself but yeah...they're ultimately a front for Christianity recruitment in the end. You don't see it at first as all they tell you is to "believe in a higher power greater than yourself" but a bit longer in and it's "oh by the way it's Jesus." Their last few steps are even "gotta pray to God!" You literally can't be considered to have completed the program until you believe in God and go through a "spiritual awakening."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

I guess that's not specifically Christian, but it's pretty obviously religious.

The "higher power" part isn't by itself but later on they push Christian beliefs on top of that. That's the issue; it's a veil around "only God can save you from the booze."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

yeah I eat rear end posted:

If American entertainment sucks so badly, why is it so extremely popular in basically every other modern country compared to their own output too?

We're good at eye candy. We can plastic surgery a person into near perfection and let cgi do the rest. Hollywood also figured out a formula to make a movie that will print money, hence the homogeneous nonsense. All the tech in California also lets American movies be full of insane action scenes full of the biggest explosions and fastest car chases.

There isn't a culture in the world that will refuse to watch a movie with pretty people, cool visuals, and fast action. Hollywood has the money and technology to do that very well. Of course they're stagnating from an artistic standpoint but they don't care because money. If generic garbage is what pays that's what they'll make.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's ironic that in America, adult means things that hast the most appeal to adolescents more than anyone else, i.e. nudity and violence.

I'm pretty sure most people of most ages like nudity and violence.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's why I put in "more than anyone else" you rear end. I guess you'll know what I mean when you reach puberty.

I'm 34. Am I late? :ohdear:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

(Betting on ToxicSlurpee being male.)

My man boobs are magnificent, thank you. I've been giving them a steady diet of the most fattening pizza I can find.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Henchman of Santa posted:

I've had indoor cats my whole life and they crave attention/give affection on a dog-like level at times.

Inside cats are basically kittens psychologically their whole lives. Cats that spend time outside grow up some and become part feral. A lot of time outside and they become increasingly feral and "adult." Of course they also start seeing people as really lovely hunters because they don't see you killing small, furry/feathered things. It's why they bring you dead birds. They think you suck at hunting.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

Live music is disappointing about 90% of the time.

I have yet to go to a concert where the band was actually sober and ready to perform on time.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Most of my favorite bands are from Germany. :ohdear:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

Mississippi, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wyoming all have a single abortion clinic per state. The pro-lifers and the people who they elect are the reason for that. You're a loving moron.

Yeah but see they didn't ban abortion so it's proof that it's been solved! People can get abortions if they want some of them just have to really, really want it and be willing to drive multiple hours.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

pidan posted:

It's fine because abstinence itself is not harmful. People can promote it if they want to, regardless of whether or not I personally see any value in it.
If it's promoted in a harmful way, as it often is, that's not fine.

Actually abstinence is harmful. Sexual frustration can lead to addiction, depression, and social isolation. People need to gently caress. This is part of why abstinence-only sex ed is terrible. It tends to include things like "condoms don't actually work all that well" so people start humping without them because good luck convincing people not to do it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Grandmother of Five posted:

I don't see anyone saying that abstinence-only sex ed, or spreading misinformation is good. It is obvious that any kind of repression can be unhealthy, but that doesn't mean that people who chose to not be sexually active, for a a period of their lives, are making a choice that can't be right for them.

I realize that people who call themselves "incels" are pretty much insane, but that has little to do with abstinence as a choice, I think.

Relatively few people can successfully go without sex for long periods. They're rare. Most people have problems if they don't get laid enough. Part of it is not specific to sex itself but also revolves around physical intimacy. People like to touch and hold each other. Notice how many greetings involve touching somebody. Hand shakes, fist bumps, bumping elbows, and so forth. We're humans. It's what we do.

My impression is possibly tainted from only hearing of people calling themselves "incels" in the context of weird internet people who seem to be men who hate women, so they seem crazy in the same way to me. They seem to have a hate for women in common.

They're often dreadful people yes but it isn't as simple as that. Some of them are Reddit-style MRAs but one of the ways those guys get more recruits is by offering emotional support to men that have been hurt by women. Our society sometimes encourages women to do terrible things in relationships (read the utterly psychotic information that's been printed as advice in Cosmo, for example) and some women are lovely people. You get men that have been in nasty relationships or that have gone through a bad breakup being offered that as another way out.

But as I've said many times it's one of those "some legitimate points buried in a mountain of misogyny" things. Some women being bad people doesn't mean that all women are bad people. Guys that aren't horrible people that land there don't tend to hang around.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Not ejaculating increases risk for prostate cancer (and all lesser prostate problems). I don't know if this American-style abstinence also means no wanking so :shrug:

American-style abstinence comes from the religious right and yes they are against masturbating. They believe that sex is only for procreation so if you enjoy it too much (or if a woman enjoys it at all) or do it for fun rather than making babies then you are wrong. That's where pretty much all of the sexual repression in America comes from; they want sex to exist only within a marriage between a man and a woman and only for making babies.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 16:33 on Mar 26, 2017

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

What comes across as a weird reaction against abstinence makes a lot of sense in the light of this, I feel.

From my Foreign Country perspective, teaching abstinence is pretty much confined to dumb rear end teens needing to be made to feel that it is OK for them to not gently caress as much as their classmates are pretending they do because they've discovered porn, and to not feel pressured to do stuff they don't feel ready for, and abstinence applying to masturbation is just so absurd I'd think it was a joke.

I mean, we have ton of idiot stuff, too, but stuff like super weird Chastity father/daughter balls/dances, and going to hell for masturbating is just so far removed from mainstream culture that I forget that it even exists.

Yup. It's fine to teach "abstinence is OK. You'll start loving when you're ready. Don't let others make that decision for you. Really you can go your whole life without loving if you want and nothing is wrong with you." In America it's "anything other than abstinence is wrong and bad. If you so much as think about premarital sex you'll get pregnant and contract every STD."

Well, not everywhere; some places actually have decent, functional sex education but the religious right pushes their version super duper ultra hard and the redder the state the more likely they are to push abstinence-only. Even in purple to blue states you can get "yeah well condoms exist and work OK but you still shouldn't have sex before marriage."

They have their stupid little metaphors like passing a piece of tape around the room to show that the more people that touch it the less it's good at being tape; insisting that the more partners you have the less desirable you are as a partner. We also value virginity to an absurd extent. The other one is that we're told that virginity is a priceless gem that you can only give away once. Once you give it away it's gone and you can never give something so special to anybody ever again so don't give it to somebody unless you're planning on marrying them.

It is, of course, utter nonsense.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

I wasn't taught any of that. That poo poo only happens in the south.

I got taught that in rural PA. Pennsylvania is often described as "Pennsyltucky" or "Pittsburgh and Philadelphia with Alabama in between."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

The religious right doesn't agree on this. Seems like they are split 50/50. I remember my first sex ed was having to read a book by Dr. James Dobson (the focus on the family guy) and it said jacking off was fine and natural, which was a relief to m 13 yo self because I was jacking off pretty relentlessly at the time. Also, I don't think that sex is only for procreating is something most Christians believe. They are super weird about marriage though.

The right seems to have somehow gotten even more prude since the 90's though.

Lay members might not always believe those things and you're right in that a majority of them don't but when it comes to hardcore fundies the leadership has been pushing that message something fierce. Some of it anyway and to be honest I'm quite surprised that Dobson is OK with jerking off.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Guy Goodbody posted:

On that topic. it's perfectly fine to end a sentence with a preposition. It's fine. The idea that you can't was made up by a single English dude in like the 1800s for no good reason. All it does is give lovely pedants another opportunity to be lovely and pedantic

It actually wasn't just "made up," believe it or not. If memory serves that is in fact a rule in Latin and Romance languages. English is a Germanic language that is influenced by Latin. Since in the 19th century all the cool kids wanted to be Romance languages a dude decided that the "rules" of English should be Romance rather than Germanic and that just happened to be one of the rules stapled on. English is a bizarre language that is influenced by four different languages groups so its rules are weird but its core is still Germanic.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

Enough people must have agreed with him and liked it otherwise they would have ignored it.

The people that agreed with him were agreeing out of fashion more than anything. The Cool and Good Thing to Be was a Latin-derived Romance language which English never, ever was. For a very long time the official language of the English royalty as well as the court was French because that was fashionable. When English started coming back it was considered important to still speak a Latin-derived language in high circles so that guy started the idea of "gently caress all of you, English is a Romance language now."

And, of course, those stupid arguments still run today. The people who care a whole lot about those rules or stuff like the proper use of "whom" (which, mind, has never been totally codified and the word is currently drat near dead) tend to be those that want to look down on others. There's a lot of classism and racism tied up to it. There's a right way to speak English and a wrong way to speak English. If you speak any of the wrong ways you're a dirty, lesser person so if you want to be seen as a respectable person never, ever end a sentence in a preposition.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Leavemywife posted:

Wendy's has the best fast food burgers and Burger King has the best fries.

I go to Burger King when I'm in the mood to be disappointed.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

lemon-lyme disease posted:

I loved McNuggets when I was a kid. Not so fond of them now. Somewhere in between, I was told that "way back when" they used to be part fish nugget. I have no idea whether or not that's true, but some part of me believes the story.

No, I've never looked into it.

I'm pretty sure that's impossible. I'm allergic to fish and have never, ever had a reaction to a McNugget other than "you know what these actually aren't all that good."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

lemon-lyme disease posted:

I couldn't find any legitimate source backing this up, so you're almost definitely correct. Didn't even consider the allergy angle.

It was probably just a (local?) myth that I bought as an impressionable preteen.

Probably. Food myths are incredibly common and common/popular things are popular targets. You know like saying that the beef that made the hamburgers at school lunch was "Grade D - can be sold to convicts and students" and the like. There are an insane number of food-based urban legends.

Food allergies are a huge freaking deal and it's very unlikely that McDonald's would replace chicken with a common allergen.